Is Paul Roos considering coaching again?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Is Paul Roos considering coaching again?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Paul Roos considering coaching again?

Didn't read it the article that way at all.

Always thought Roos looked a bit half-hearted at Melbourne.

When Richo’s time is up, whenever that is, I would prefer we found a young energetic coach who will be the next big thing. Easier said than done.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Tudor get him

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Didn't read it the article that way at all.

Always thought Roos looked a bit half-hearted at Melbourne.

When Richo’s time is up, whenever that is, I would prefer we found a young energetic coach who will be the next big thing. Easier said than done.
Im not a fan of Roos and wasn't a fan of Blight but there are a few comparisons to be drawn.

We certainly don't have the worst list in history but we are lacking leadership in so many areas. Roos would certainly bring that and that alone would buy this list a bit of time. It would also bring confidence in player and coaching development, recruitment and trades.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Leigh Tudor get him
Pretty liberal interpretation of young, there matey. He was one of Blighty's assistants at the club 17 years ago, wasn't he?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Pretty liberal interpretation of young, there matey. He was one of Blighty's assistants at the club 17 years ago, wasn't he?
Under Ross Lyon in 2009 and 2010.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Matthew Knights, Justin Leppitsch, or Brett Ratten ( importantly all were hungry to coach and sought out a senior position and I think might relish a second opportunity). I reckon all were unfiarly dismissed due to unreasonable expectations from their boards surrounding where their lists should have been. In both Matthew Knights case and Ratten's it was also a case of making way for the dream team coach and his mentor ( Hird and Thompson with Essendon ) or the available premiership coach (Malthouse) for the Blues

Of the untried 'younger' brigade I reckon Blake Caracella would be a coup if we could nab him

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Always been a fan of Leigh Tudor. Surprised he hasn't got a chance in a top job yet.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We're the only sport in the world where if you fail the first time, you don't get another go.

Brett Ratten's record with Carlton, in hindsight, looks absolutely amazing. And then he's played a part in three Hawthorn flags as an assistant.

My only question over him is whether or not he fancies the stress of a senior coaching role. My guess is that he wouldn't, which would be entirely understandable.

I don't see a lot brilliant assistants out there, to be honest. Think they might be a couple of years away.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
Always been a fan of Leigh Tudor. Surprised he hasn't got a chance in a top job yet.
No more untried senior coaches thanks.

I also don't want coaches that need to be coaxed out of high paying cushy media jobs either.

Richo has to take responsibility for the state of the skills of our players, which means fixing the problem, and our recruiting staff need to take responsibility for the poor recruiting decision making at times and inability to land the FA's they promised. That means no knee jerk reactions - let people fix the mess we have found ourselves in. It might just be that our on-field structure is stuffed because of no Roo, and lack of onfield leadership without Joey. This transition may complete itself in the second half of the season. We've got the second youngest team at the moment, and fourth least experienced or something, so losing two players, plus Dempster - our best defensive mark in the team, takes time to settle.

Pretty obvious to me that our game plan isn't working so AR needs to change it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:We're the only sport in the world where if you fail the first time, you don't get another go.

Brett Ratten's record with Carlton, in hindsight, looks absolutely amazing. And then he's played a part in three Hawthorn flags as an assistant.

My only question over him is whether or not he fancies the stress of a senior coaching role. My guess is that he wouldn't, which would be entirely understandable.

I don't see a lot brilliant assistants out there, to be honest. Think they might be a couple of years away.
I agree

Voss would now be ready for a second go, I would take him in a heartbeat. Was way too young and immature the first time

Sanderson was tossed out early

Even Leppa would be a more mature and knowledgeable coach

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
No more untried senior coaches thanks.

I also don't want coaches that need to be coaxed out of high paying cushy media jobs either.

Richo has to take responsibility for the state of the skills of our players, which means fixing the problem, and our recruiting staff need to take responsibility for the poor recruiting decision making at times and inability to land the FA's they promised. That means no knee jerk reactions - let people fix the mess we have found ourselves in. It might just be that our on-field structure is stuffed because of no Roo, and lack of onfield leadership without Joey. This transition may complete itself in the second half of the season. We've got the second youngest team at the moment, and fourth least experienced or something, so losing two players, plus Dempster - our best defensive mark in the team, takes time to settle.

Pretty obvious to me that our game plan isn't working so AR needs to change it.
The trouble with asking people to fix their own mess is that they are unlikely to do so without outside guidance.
If we persevere with AR we need to get him an experienced mentor.
From the players perspective, if they've lost faith in AR then they aren't going to buy into a new system wholeheartedly.
If they haven't lost faith in him, a mentor may work. But who?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Personally i would take Vossy - but keep him out of recruitment. I'd take Ratten happily. I'd love Tudor as senior assistant/mentor.
And i'd love to get Hayes and Harves over as assistants. Harves has been on a slow burn with Collingwood but it appears the team finally has the personel to put the game plan into action.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "