Saints in disarray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Saints in disarray

BigMart wrote:Happy if we finish FIRST..... just twice in 120 years
1965, 1997, 2009.

Your maths is rubbish. :P

But that's ok Mart. I enjoy reading your posts... and I miss those regular Sunday sessions between yourself and Pluggs. :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

After the finals Dave....

I must admit, this month has tested my faith.... I enjoyed the send off of the three champs.... I actually enjoyed a lot of the season.... We were better than it showed...

But this off season has been embarrassing and ridiculous... Some stuff I've heard points to nothing short of a rabble...

3 decisions IMO define StK predicament ATM

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:After the finals Dave....

I must admit, this month has tested my faith.... I enjoyed the send off of the three champs.... I actually enjoyed a lot of the season.... We were better than it showed...

But this off season has been embarrassing and ridiculous... Some stuff I've heard points to nothing short of a rabble...

They are?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

They are?
Oh FFS redeemer, don't get him started again…

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No point comparing us with Carlton and Collingwood. They make, between them, about 30 million a year just from the pokies. We make about 2 million. The Bulldogs make 3 million, and North make zero. We were just unfortunate that we didn't have the crooked contacts that the Pies and the Blues had when the pokies emerged. If we had, we wouldn't be whining about club finances right now. Add to that our hideous deal with Etihad Stadium, and it's just not us. Bulldogs, North, and Carlton are getting equally screwed. I know for a fact that the North Melbourne directors pour enormous funds into that club just to keep it afloat. Are you going to have a crack at them? Throw on top of that our pathetic fickle supporters who jump ship as soon as we drop out of the finals. All I can say is Shame on Them, the 8,000 so called members who bailed out like spoilt children, taking their bat and ball and going home. Perhaps some of you on this forum who continually slag off our club are part of that 8,000. In fact, I'd put my house on it.

Yes, the club has made some mistakes. So has every club in the past 20 years. The Tigers were nearly broke 4 years ago. Essendon have cocked up a bit, wouldn't you say? The lions run at a loss every year, and what about Port Adelaide, who can't make a cracker in a two team town. Don't get me started on Melbourne. Meanwhile, Sydney get ridiculous concessions and the expansion teams have bags of money thrown at them. The draw is designed to favour a handful of Melbourne clubs, and guess what, we're not one of them.

Just keep sticking the boots in. Remember, we've never had any favours from the AFL, and while Thomas coached us, the AFL CEO detested us, and gave us no help in our dealings with the local council, while at the same times assisting the Doggies in a similar situation. We've had to tough it out, just like North Melbourne.

Don't underestimate how tough it's been for our club and the people who have run it in the past 20 years. Against the odds, they have busted their arses to keep us viable. As Rod Butterss used to say, it's tough out there in clubland. You think a succession of experienced and successful business people haven't done their best for us (ARCHIE FRASER ASIDE)? Particularly those who have been Saints supporters or former players?

Give us 18 million dollars a year in pokie revenue, a favourable (rigged) draw that allows us to stuff our pockets full of cash, and a stadium deal that allows us to actually make a single dollar, and I'll show you a happy and relaxed membership. The reality is, we don't have those things, so to just break even is a massive achievement. Especially when pathetic so-called supporters bail out at the mere hint of a decline in ladder position.

Support your club. Don't echo the cliches of hack, biased journos just because you can't cop it that we have to re-build. Just support. Buy you memberships and look to the future. I'm sick of supporters slamming the club at every turn.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

good stuff cwrcyn, cheers mate.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:No point comparing us with Carlton and Collingwood. They make, between them, about 30 million a year just from the pokies. We make about 2 million. The Bulldogs make 3 million, and North make zero. We were just unfortunate that we didn't have the crooked contacts that the Pies and the Blues had when the pokies emerged. If we had, we wouldn't be whining about club finances right now. Add to that our hideous deal with Etihad Stadium, and it's just not us. Bulldogs, North, and Carlton are getting equally screwed. I know for a fact that the North Melbourne directors pour enormous funds into that club just to keep it afloat. Are you going to have a crack at them? Throw on top of that our pathetic fickle supporters who jump ship as soon as we drop out of the finals. All I can say is Shame on Them, the 8,000 so called members who bailed out like spoilt children, taking their bat and ball and going home. Perhaps some of you on this forum who continually slag off our club are part of that 8,000. In fact, I'd put my house on it.

Yes, the club has made some mistakes. So has every club in the past 20 years. The Tigers were nearly broke 4 years ago. Essendon have cocked up a bit, wouldn't you say? The lions run at a loss every year, and what about Port Adelaide, who can't make a cracker in a two team town. Don't get me started on Melbourne. Meanwhile, Sydney get ridiculous concessions and the expansion teams have bags of money thrown at them. The draw is designed to favour a handful of Melbourne clubs, and guess what, we're not one of them.

Just keep sticking the boots in. Remember, we've never had any favours from the AFL, and while Thomas coached us, the AFL CEO detested us, and gave us no help in our dealings with the local council, while at the same times assisting the Doggies in a similar situation. We've had to tough it out, just like North Melbourne.

Don't underestimate how tough it's been for our club and the people who have run it in the past 20 years. Against the odds, they have busted their arses to keep us viable. As Rod Butterss used to say, it's tough out there in clubland. You think a succession of experienced and successful business people haven't done their best for us (ARCHIE FRASER ASIDE)? Particularly those who have been Saints supporters or former players?

Give us 18 million dollars a year in pokie revenue, a favourable (rigged) draw that allows us to stuff our pockets full of cash, and a stadium deal that allows us to actually make a single dollar, and I'll show you a happy and relaxed membership. The reality is, we don't have those things, so to just break even is a massive achievement. Especially when pathetic so-called supporters bail out at the mere hint of a decline in ladder position.

Support your club. Don't echo the cliches of hack, biased journos just because you can't cop it that we have to re-build. Just support. Buy you memberships and look to the future. I'm sick of supporters slamming the club at every turn.

Nailed it.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Why isn't there any outrage at these clubs and their revenue from pokies?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
lloyd21
Club Player

Would like to mention the premiers have a 27 Million $ pokie complex at Caroline springs which helps the books.

And makes them a happy team at Hawthorn. How did they get that one Jeff Kennett with his political influence at the time.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

BigMart wrote:No, I just have an opinion,

Which is that SW should remain contracted coach at StK until R16 next year until meeting to discuss an extension or not. Mark 'choco' Williams monitored closely, as with Leigh Tudor, and Richardson from Port....
AGREE PARTICULARLY ON WILLIAMS
Joey Montagna should be retained and be made captain for two seasons....
WTF???
NDS and Sam Fisher should be traded to inject need talent and defenders into the club.... Reluctently
AGREED
The club should not entertain trading it's first round selection, but definitely look at options with pick 21?
DISAGREE, IF PICK 1 OR SOMEONE LIKE PATON WAS ON THE TABLE WE SHOULD.
The club should try and lure a free agent, and possibly even a pre season selection.
AGREE
Tom Curren should be upgraded....
AGREED
Still mystified by Tom Hickey? Where he fits???
WILL BE BETTER THAN MCEVOY IN ABOUT 2 YEARS. FIRST RUCK.
I reckon the club erred with Tom Ledger, too late...
NOT NECESSARILY, FOOT SKILLS DUBIOUS UNDER PRESSURE.
Look at a Rookie spot for Mitch Thorpe if available..... Seriously consider Cockie also....
?
Games into Lee, Wright, Ross, Newnes, Saunders, Siposs, Murdoch, Webster, Markworth.... While remaining gro of core players.
AGREED
Offload two assistants... Hopeless
Try to get Neeld from Melbourne, Damien Carroll from Box Hill... I know him, a rippa
NEELD WOULD BE A HARD SELL PR WISE.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

lloyd21 wrote:Would like to mention the premiers have a 27 Million $ pokie complex at Caroline springs which helps the books.

And makes them a happy team at Hawthorn. How did they get that one Jeff Kennett with his political influence at the time.
And they call them the FAMILY CLUB'..... pokies are on the nose more and more. Just watch.

Richter
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:Support your club. Don't echo the cliches of hack, biased journos just because you can't cop it that we have to re-build. Just support. Buy you memberships and look to the future. I'm sick of supporters slamming the club at every turn.
What a superb post.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Support your club. Don't echo the cliches of hack, biased journos just because you can't cop it that we have to re-build. Just support. Buy you memberships and look to the future. I'm sick of supporters slamming the club at every turn.
What a superb post.
Ditto

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Question your club, in the face of poor decisions.... A right you have when you pay to be a member!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Dave McNamara wrote:
BigMart wrote:Happy if we finish FIRST..... just twice in 120 years
1965, 1997, 2009.
Your maths is rubbish. :P
But that's ok Mart. I enjoy reading your posts... and I miss those regular Sunday sessions between yourself and Pluggs. :wink:
Then that's just 1966.
Your maths is still rubbish. :P
I still enjoy reading your posts though Mart. :)

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Question your club, in the face of poor decisions.... A right you have when you pay to be a member!
Sure. There's constructive criticism and there's whinging. These days I reckon you do far more of the latter than the former.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

A lot more to 'whinge' about

These days

Wouldn't you agree Richter.... We did finish 3rd last with worse to come...

Three years ago we were a force in finals footy

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

tony74 wrote:Finances aren't great. 3 senior players are trade bait. 2 assistant coaches will go. Scott will be there till the end of 2016. We've been through worse.
Well with Dean Laidley today joining Jaymie Graham on the "out of here assistant coaches" list, and two players having been traded with the third (chips) deal not getting done, all that remains is for Scottie too Hottie to get his contract extension and I will officially be going to Tony74 for next weeks lotto numbers.

If this is all there is too our disarray strategy, I for one will be very disappointed. It was talked up as being so much bigger than this.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we are trying to manage the disarray as best as possible.....

The trade period turned out OK.... That goes someway to getting the club heading the right way, need some changes at Coaching level also.... Need sponsorship and a smart membership drive

There needs to be board security.... A CEO.... And the plan for the coaching appt for 2015

stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
tony74 wrote:Finances aren't great. 3 senior players are trade bait. 2 assistant coaches will go. Scott will be there till the end of 2016. We've been through worse.
Well with Dean Laidley today joining Jaymie Graham on the "out of here assistant coaches" list, and two players having been traded with the third (chips) deal not getting done, all that remains is for Scottie too Hottie to get his contract extension and I will officially be going to Tony74 for next weeks lotto numbers.

If this is all there is too our disarray strategy, I for one will be very disappointed. It was talked up as being so much bigger than this.........

.....maybe...wonder who crackers is talking about....

..under the heading ....

"footy department goes fully digital"

.briefly he went on to state that sometimes coaches and football department heads clash.....in one one club, a reliable source told him.. they communicated via laptops even when they were in the same room......a real concern says crackers....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I reckon we are trying to manage the disarray as best as possible.....

The trade period turned out OK.... That goes someway to getting the club heading the right way, need some changes at Coaching level also.... Need sponsorship and a smart membership drive

There needs to be board security.... A CEO.... And the plan for the coaching appt for 2015
Hi Mart, more detail please...? :)

Trade period: 'Only' ok?

Coaching changes:
Personnel? If so, who out, and who would you like to see in. (But puh-leeze, none of your Neelds, your Bumbler Thompsons, your Ayreses, your Alan Richardsons, your Choco Williamses for mine.)
If not personnel, then what changes would you like to see in how the incumbents are going about things?

Sponsorship? Any ideas who we could get? How we could attract them?

Smart membership drive: Any suggestions to help Sainter K out?

What do you mean by the term 'board security'? And is there anyone we should be trying to get onto/off of the Board?

CEO: Any recommendations? Didn't we sound out the E-girls guy? For mine, I'd like to see if there was any chance of pinching Brian Cooke from the Hillbillies. Any suggestions on we could wrangle that one? What about someone from outside the AFL?

(All serious questions.)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Disarray? My question to ALL those who profess to love the club is: "have you renewed your membership?" if "not" why not? and "what are you doing to promote our club"?

GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Disarray? My question to ALL those who profess to love the club is: "have you renewed your membership?" if "not" why not? and "what are you doing to promote our club"?

GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest!)

I havent yet. At least i am honest enough to answer. As to why, I have to pay for my daughters year 12 fees and more importantly the spring canavial is on.

howlinwolf
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:No point comparing us with Carlton and Collingwood. They make, between them, about 30 million a year just from the pokies. We make about 2 million. The Bulldogs make 3 million, and North make zero. We were just unfortunate that we didn't have the crooked contacts that the Pies and the Blues had when the pokies emerged. If we had, we wouldn't be whining about club finances right now. Add to that our hideous deal with Etihad Stadium, and it's just not us. Bulldogs, North, and Carlton are getting equally screwed. I know for a fact that the North Melbourne directors pour enormous funds into that club just to keep it afloat. Are you going to have a crack at them? Throw on top of that our pathetic fickle supporters who jump ship as soon as we drop out of the finals. All I can say is Shame on Them, the 8,000 so called members who bailed out like spoilt children, taking their bat and ball and going home. Perhaps some of you on this forum who continually slag off our club are part of that 8,000. In fact, I'd put my house on it.

Great post mate. Agree completely.
You have forgotten a nice federal govt handout like the dogs got would have been good to rebuild Moorabbin.
B.t.w We're a paid up Sainter family :-)

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:

Great post mate. Agree completely.
You have forgotten a nice federal govt handout like the dogs got would have been good to rebuild Moorabbin.
B.t.w We're a paid up Sainter family :-)

Thats not true regarding Moorabbin. It wasnt the money, it was the club and the council not agreeing to the friggin poker machines.