Tex Perkins - A Bloody Legend and Sainter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Tex Perkins - A Bloody Legend and Sainter

Didn't know Tex was on our side being from up North and all. Beasts of Bourbon are one of the greatest Oz rock bands of their time. An honour to have in on board.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-03-1 ... the-saints

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tex Perkins - A Bloody Legend and Sainter

He's got the right voice.... We gotta keep the momentum up and get him involved as much at possible

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

So good.

Just remember folks, the point he makes about how good IT will taste when we get there.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

“To be a St Kilda supporter – there is lots of pain and struggle, but that’s part of it. This is who we are.”

He got that spot on....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I found it INSPIRATIONAL! and have got myself ready to Rock'n'roll come satdee! :lol: GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:“To be a St Kilda supporter – there is lots of pain and struggle, but that’s part of it. This is who we are.”

He got that spot on....

I found it to be the more interesting pitch in the whole message. I liked it and I'm not sure why, it feels like I shouldn't but for some reason it moved me. Great ad.

Has the club PR/advertising department been overhauled recently?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No false hopes, no call for a "sympathy vote" from the footy community, no running away from our past mistakes, an honest and inspiring call to arms. I personally get a wee bit brassed off with the "marketing slogans" at times, but this was DIFFERENT! It talked about US! The club its members and supporters and it said to me that we MATTER!
Am I Ready to risk heartbreak for the chance of glory again? DAMN STRAIGHT! Just watch me come saturday!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Pity the website can't get it right. Tex clearly said he didn't grow up in Melbourne, yet the text says "i grew upon Melbourne ..."

Beasts of Bourbon, The Corner 1990, best new year ever! At about 12.25 Tex said "By the way I think it's now the new year".

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Got to love the Tex. Tex, Don and Charlie's first album one of my all time favourites.

Nicky Winmar won him over - got to love that!

Nee!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was at training with his kids on monday too.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:“To be a St Kilda supporter – there is lots of pain and struggle, but that’s part of it. This is who we are.”

He got that spot on....
Indeed. And that gives us the right to whinge until we do win that mystical flag...... When I'll let my daughters drink Coke or whatever the hell they like!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Nailed it Tex! 8-) He's a muso', so he'd 'understand'.

Our publicity department is on a roll!

Who's next? Please, I wanna' hear from Mick Thomas... 'Under the Clocks'... Mick also 'understands'. :lol:

We are the musos' club! 8-) We are the artists' club! 8-) We are the club for thinking, creative people. 8-)

Just picture it Saintsationalists... a big home win in front of a packed crowd of saint's fanatics/tragics... then the social club's turn to be packed out... and rockin' to Tex in concert!!! 8-)

A couple of weeks later we do it all again with the Weddos!!! 8-)

St Kilda is the club, a Saint's home game is on the must-do list for backpackers, the social club is the coolest venue in Melbs, we're swatting away wannabe sponsors, and every young footballer wants to get to the Junction Oval. 8-)

We can achieve this! We can become what we always should have been. We can fulfil our destiny! Make it happen Saintas!!!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
avid
Club Player

gringo wrote:He was at training with his kids on monday too.
Showed a bit of form afterwards with the red white and black mini-footy on the hallowed turf.
It really did feel great reconnecting with the Junction.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Showed a bit of form afterwards with the red white and black mini-footy on the hallowed turf.
The Junction history is 50+ years ago and lost by most of us. .

Reconnecting with Moorabbin should be the priority.

Had training last Monday being at Moorabbin the crowd would've trebled the Junctions

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
He looked like someone who grew up in Brisbane and lived in Sydney.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Nailed it Tex! 8-) He's a muso', so he'd 'understand'.

Our publicity department is on a roll!

Who's next? Please, I wanna' hear from Mick Thomas... 'Under the Clocks'... Mick also 'understands'. :lol:

We are the musos' club! 8-) We are the artists' club! 8-) We are the club for thinking, creative people. 8-)

Just picture it Saintsationalists... a big home win in front of a packed crowd of saint's fanatics/tragics... then the social club's turn to be packed out... and rockin' to Tex in concert!!! 8-)

St Kilda is the club, a Saint's home game is on the must-do list for backpackers, the social club is the coolest venue in Melbs, we're swatting away wannabe sponsors, and every young footballer wants to get to the Junction Oval. 8-)

We can achieve this! We can become what we always should have been. We can fulfil our destiny! Make it happen Saintas!!!

Walt I dont think backpackers really help any club. We need long term supporters. And we have nothing to do with the Junction oval. Lets hope footballers want to come to our club and couldnt give a stuff where we train. That should be our aim. And lets hope supporters want to be long term members of our club and that should also be our aim. And sadly social clubs of AFL sides have basically finished.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Got to love the Tex. Tex, Don and Charlie's first album one of my all time favourites.

Nicky Winmar won him over - got to love that!
That's a classic and timeless album...one of my all time favorites too.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Saw Tex down at the park next to Luna Park in 2010, when the Saints had the big screen setup for the grand final draw. He left before the end, but seemed genuinely interested in what was happening. Good to see proper supporters involved, not token celebs who pick a team at the start of each season....

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
avid wrote:
The Junction history is 50+ years ago and lost by most of us. .

Reconnecting with Moorabbin should be the priority.

Had training last Monday being at Moorabbin the crowd would've trebled the Junctions
The Junction Oval is very much part of our history as a club- that's where the seeds were sewn for our only flag. The initial choice when looking to move out of the Junction Oval in the '60s, was Elsternwick park, but we ended up at Moorabbin. If we keep doing training days at the Junction Oval, crowds will increase once the word gets around...but it's only training and a bit of PR.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:... We are the musos' club! 8-) We are the artists' club! 8-) We are the club for thinking, creative people. 8-)

Walt I dont think backpackers really help any club. We need long term supporters. And we have nothing to do with the Junction oval. Lets hope footballers want to come to our club and couldnt give a stuff where we train. That should be our aim. And lets hope supporters want to be long term members of our club and that should also be our aim. And sadly social clubs of AFL sides have basically finished.
Hey Pluggs, have they got the footy on the big screen down at the McKinnon KFC tonight? If so, take a look at what can be achieved in under a decade, and starting from a far worse financial position than ours. :idea:

Next, maybe pop over to Moorabbin airport, and watch a couple of those big metal birds landing and taking off.

Now, with your confidence and 'can do' attitude restored, up to St Kilda to checkout the Bowlo' and the SKANC. (I know that you will be nicer to the French backpackers than those troubled bogans on the bus in the other 'thread', so say hi and maybe even invite them to the footy. They'll have such a great time, they'll tell their mates back home, who will then come over to look you up. Hey, the whole outing will probably end up on YouTube with a million hits... :wink: )

:idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
The Junction history is 50+ years ago and lost by most of us.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Careful there SP.................... there are many of us on this site that the Junction history is not lost on................. not only on this site, but from whom I meet when I'm in Melbourne at the matches............. there are a number who still recall fondly those days of yore at the Junction Oval (even though we were a 'bum' side.

Many of us were the one's who inculcated the next generation with the passion of the Saints and their Junction Oval history!!!
Never lose the importance of the history of Junction Ova. l It's as important as the years of the Animal Enclosure at Moorabbin. Or at the Wasteland (IMO) at Waverley.

If we don't respect our history and the members that still are part of that history from various eras and, importantly stand up loud and proud for every tiny piece of that history we may end up like the South Melbourne Football Club (Sydney Swans) or the Fitzroy Football Club (Brisbane Lions) :cry:

Davey Mac might be dreaming with his vision of the Saints returning to the Junction Oval....... but what are Saint Supporters but perenial dreamers????, passionate dreamers always what seems identify us as a Club. Don't you just love that in this dog eat dog manufactured footy era??????? :)

loris
Saintsational Legend

Trouble with being of the older generation................ Tex Perkins was someone I had never heard of.

Yes I can recall TEX Williams and his hit 'Smoke, Smoke That Cigartette"........... not very politically correct these days.

OR

CARL Perkins "Blue Suede Shoes" ........... 'The King" Elvis Presley made his song a real hit.

So if Tex Perkins can combine the names of those two talents...... he must be OK!!

Then again, Tex Perkins must be be better than OK if he is a Sainter..................love to have you aboard Tex.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
The Junction history is 50+ years ago and lost by most of us.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Careful there SP.................... there are many of us on this site that the Junction history is not lost on................. not only on this site, but from whom I meet when I'm in Melbourne at the matches............. there are a number who still recall fondly those days of yore at the Junction Oval (even though we were a 'bum' side.

Many of us were the one's who inculcated the next generation with the passion of the Saints and their Junction Oval history!!!
Never lose the importance of the history of Junction Ova. l It's as important as the years of the Animal Enclosure at Moorabbin. Or at the Wasteland (IMO) at Waverley.

If we don't respect our history and the members that still are part of that history from various eras and, importantly stand up loud and proud for every tiny piece of that history we may end up like the South Melbourne Football Club (Sydney Swans) or the Fitzroy Football Club (Brisbane Lions) :cry:

Davey Mac might be dreaming with his vision of the Saints returning to the Junction Oval....... but what are Saint Supporters but perenial dreamers????, passionate dreamers always what seems identify us as a Club. Don't you just love that in this dog eat dog manufactured footy era??????? :)
Quite right Loris. The Junction was where I first saw the Saints. Loved them at Moorabbin too, but the JO is part of our DNA. If I'm ever in Melbourne I like to go past the Junction and reminisce.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:... We are the musos' club! 8-) We are the artists' club! 8-) We are the club for thinking, creative people. 8-)

Hey Pluggs, have they got the footy on the big screen down at the McKinnon KFC tonight? If so, take a look at what can be achieved in under a decade, and starting from a far worse financial position than ours. :idea:

Next, maybe pop over to Moorabbin airport, and watch a couple of those big metal birds landing and taking off.

Now, with your confidence and 'can do' attitude restored, up to St Kilda to checkout the Bowlo' and the SKANC. (I know that you will be nicer to the French backpackers than those troubled bogans on the bus in the other 'thread', so say hi and maybe even invite them to the footy. They'll have such a great time, they'll tell their mates back home, who will then come over to look you up. Hey, the whole outing will probably end up on YouTube with a million hits... :wink: )

:idea:

I suppose you are talking about Geelong and not Adelaide. Yes they acheived plenty because they had a great CEO and also won flags. Also they had their own ground which we will never have whatever fantasy you can dream up. And from what some say we didnt have a great CEO and didnt win flags and had all that crap that seems to have somehow stopped sponsors to our club but i do agree with one thing and that is clubs can improve from terrible positions like Hawthorn have. our aim should be to think a sensible things that the club can actually do and not things like getting a ground that the AFL, govenment and our club dont want. We need to start slowly and next time we are ready to role whenever that is we need to take full advantage of it and not waste it like last time. It is pathetic that our club may very well have the lowest membership in Victoria only 3 years after 10 years of very good success.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Agree plugs.

Westaway and Netters are a disgrace given what you said.

If friggin North can have Mazda as a major sponsor for over 10 years what the hell have we done wrong?

Maybe Milney and the other debacles are a big part of it but even in 2004 we didn't havea major corporate sponsor.