Whats the deal with Siposs?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Whats the deal with Siposs?

Zed wrote: Needs to develop a tank this preseason, but my guess is he is playing out his last AFL contract.

Word is he and several others are already in the gym at Seaford- within guidelines- ( mr finnis) and working hard
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 22 Oct 2014 4:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Zed wrote: Needs to develop a tank this preseason, but my guess is he is playing out his last AFL contract.

Word is he and several others are already in the gum at Seaford- within guidelines- ( mr finnis) and working hard
Chewing or Bubble?

Armagizmo
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:

Word is he and several others are already in the gym at Seaford- within guidelines- ( mr finnis) and working hard
Great work to them. Would love to see us develop a culture of going above and beyond and creating genuine competition for spots.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well with rhys gone the club bench press crown is up for grab :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well with rhys gone the club bench press crown is up for grab :)

from chatter I have seen Farren's not trying for it...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The club is trying to un-teach Siposs bad footballing habits taught to him by a junior coach.. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

To me he has always looked to have elite ability stuck in a sub standard physical body, he has no tank....similar to myself(without the elite ability,though my right foot was fairly ridiculous in it's time)

Bring back the Lockett era
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Should be delisted. No good.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

Great and so they should.

Notwithstanding getting over an injury, If you're serious about training you really don't want to stop for too long. It's a bit like sex, the more you train, the more you want to train. It is very addictive.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
noob
Club Player

Unfortunately has no worth ethic or tank.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I hope he makes it, but am realistic about the fact this is looking less and less likely.

If he could get through this season without re-buggering the buggered shoulder I'd feel more confident that he'd been given every opportunity.

Isn't it 2 in a row he's had surgery?

Always loyal
Richter
SS Life Member

Not enough endurance. Not quick. Doesn't read the ball in the air all that well.

He's a big, booming kick, but not a particularly perceptive passer.

He's a very ordinary AFL footballer. He'll be delisted at the end of 2015.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Siposs has had the same issue as a few others at our club.

Over a period of instability, multiple coaches and differing strategies by different people... he's another whose development has at least stalled due to an unclear role and being pulled into forever changing directions.

As many recall, he started as kind of a medium forward, but one that was directed to get on the end of short passes rather than take contested marks... this occurred in RL's last season IIRC. This kind of turned into more of a small forward type role when plan A wasn't hugely successful and then in SW's first season, he became a running HBF.

For an entire off-season he was trained to get easy kicks off a HBF and kick to contests... he had what... 3 games in the role before being shifted back forward and then kind of being directed into more of a Ryan O'Keefe running forward/mid... which clearly he at least at that point was not ready for.
Since htne he's been in and out of the team generally playing in more of a bomb it into the forward 50m where he either marks or gets crumbs whilst at Sandy, he actually spends a reasonable amount of time down back I believe, often in a more 3rd man up role and running the ball out.

Whilst I don't know if he's good enough, I think our lack of vision has absolutely butchered whatever chance this kid had. He now has a season to settle into whatever role AR has in mind for him now.

Our use of him reminds me a bit of how we managed McEvoy... couldn't quite decide if we wanted a contested marking beast of a man ... or an athletic, get to as many contests as u can type... ended being neither too good with us

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Siposs has had the same issue as a few others at our club.

Over a period of instability, multiple coaches and differing strategies by different people... he's another whose development has at least stalled due to an unclear role and being pulled into forever changing directions.

As many recall, he started as kind of a medium forward, but one that was directed to get on the end of short passes rather than take contested marks... this occurred in RL's last season IIRC. This kind of turned into more of a small forward type role when plan A wasn't hugely successful and then in SW's first season, he became a running HBF.

For an entire off-season he was trained to get easy kicks off a HBF and kick to contests... he had what... 3 games in the role before being shifted back forward and then kind of being directed into more of a Ryan O'Keefe running forward/mid... which clearly he at least at that point was not ready for.
Since htne he's been in and out of the team generally playing in more of a bomb it into the forward 50m where he either marks or gets crumbs whilst at Sandy, he actually spends a reasonable amount of time down back I believe, often in a more 3rd man up role and running the ball out.

Whilst I don't know if he's good enough, I think our lack of vision has absolutely butchered whatever chance this kid had. He now has a season to settle into whatever role AR has in mind for him now.

Our use of him reminds me a bit of how we managed McEvoy... couldn't quite decide if we wanted a contested marking beast of a man ... or an athletic, get to as many contests as u can type... ended being neither too good with us

Everything you have written is fair enough but when he plays seconds he just doesn't show enough. Its a very ordinary competition and if he is good enough he should at least be playing well every second week but he hasn't. I don't know if he lost confidence or just isn't good enough. Probably just isn't good enough.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Contracted for 2015.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Will be playing to save his AFL career in 2015. Hope he can show his full potential.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Will be playing to save his AFL career in 2015. Hope he can show his full potential.
Or at very least help Sandy make the finals again!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
resaintlee
Club Player

He appears to lose concentration easily and drifts a lot of the time.

arpstk
Club Player

Agree with that last bit he can drift but he shows glimpses of being pretty agile and able to read the ball quite sensational at times. Think he's a confidence player and will be good to see if Richo can get the best out of him...lets face it we should be critiquing the coaches.... not the 20 year olds what would they know about football. Come on Richo turn Sippo into a star!

older saint
SS Life Member

I think with Siposs its a case of expectations overweighing ability. He was pick 75 in the draft - not to many of them running around beyond 2 years. He is a beautiful kick which everyone is bedazzled by, but beyond that there is a reason 74 players went before him.
Realistically at best he will be a good player who plays off half forward as a third tall . Reality is i think he will again play a handful of games in 2015 , show glimpses of brilliance ( which will be more about kicking than anything else) and be delisted at the end of the year.

To last this long he has done well as a pick 75 , just pumped up too much by fans and media.

Hope i am wrong!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Unfortunately has no worth ethic or tank.
It's pretty disrespectful to say that he doesn't have a work ethic when you don't back it up with any evidence. He obviously doesn't have a huge amount of running endurance or he would have been earmarked as a big mid or wingman but when I met him he was a very switched on guy who was aware of how he was seen at the club and what he needed to work towards. On the fan sites people tend to equate not getting games with being a spud. He was clearly rated much higher by Watters than Richo but that could be just a new coach asserting himself or favouring different qualities. Perhaps he's not getting a fair go as he is pre judged. Watters didn't rate Shenton but he is clearly seen as a player by Richo. Not always through any fault of their own.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

imo he has had an interrupted development but showed better signs physically when he got a few games last season.
I wanted him to continue to play but was dropped for form? or injury?
fact; when he's switched on he is a level above in the VFL. between the ears is the main issue I reckon.
playing for the same spot next year; Membrey, Siposs, Markworth
this is probably why Dunell was dropped.
last chance saloon.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:What position should he play?

Perhaps a little small for a key forward, but it seems he wants to play as one.

189 cm........heatley was 188cm whilst plugga was 190cm......just for the record....membrey is listed at 188cm whist a true forward in jack darling is 191cm.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:fact; when he's switched on he is a level above in the VFL. between the ears is the main issue I reckon.
Here's his VFL results the last few years:

2014: 10 games, 7 goals, named in the best 1 time
2013: 7 games, 5 goals, named in the best 1 time
2012: 7 games, 9 goals, named in the best 3 times
2011: 7 games, 8 goals, named in the best 0 times

Looks like he's been getting gradually worse since 2012. Certainly doesn't suggest he's a level above VFL.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Milera was the same.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches