Membrey - Goodwill gesture by the Sydney Swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Membrey - Goodwill gesture by the Sydney Swans

Pick 1 in the pre-season draft is now intact so I wonder who we will pick up!!!???

See link below....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7108848319

Playon
Club Player

Re: Membrey - Goodwill gesture by the Sydney Swans

Good on em, lucky he wasn't a Collingwood player

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Massive news. He could be our next Tom Lee.
Huge thanks to Sydney. I guess they have to be the good guys to try and keep their COLA

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Massive news. He could be our next Tom Lee.
Huge thanks to Sydney. I guess they have to be the good guys to try and keep their COLA
might try and enlist our support even

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Quality act by a classy club.

And a handy benefit for us, should we find something we like in the PSD.

Personally, I'd have delisted another one or two from the senior list to give us room to swing in the upcoming drafts.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Are you people serious?

What choice did they have? We have the No.1 pick in the PSD if we wanted to use it.

Anyway after TDL its the absolute least they could have done.

You are garbage - Enough said
starsign
Club Player

Good news!
There's an old saying "as you sow, so shall you reap"
We did the right thing with Jimmy so it's all good karma
McKernan could be a big possability now I recon

citywest

Why did you have to hijack this post with sarcasm? Sydney has enabled St Kilda to pick up Membrey for 'free' and still have pick 1 in the pre-season draft. With this pick we might pick up McKernan who 'could' play the Stanley role. This means we could then use the pick we got for Stanley on another midfielder which we desperately need. This is a 'win' for us and Sydney made it possible by de-listing Membrey earlier than they had to. They didn't have to do this but as a Goodwill gesture they did.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

We'll only use the PSD if there is nobody available at pick 41 in the national draft. Personally, I'd rather see us use pick 41. Anyone who's any good will find a home as a delisted free agent. If they don't there will be a good reason.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Remboy, what the? Of course we will use pick 41, there will be very very good players taken right up to 55odd this draft is pretty deep.

Interesting though, that there are only 65 live selections this year, without the usual 'passes'. So it will depend on which club has any interest in the PSD, if no one has list spots, then we wouldn't bother but there could be some players like Webb who could slip, he could be this years Eli and we might want to delist/pick up Simpkin to ensure we get him.

Keeping in mind we do have pick one in the rookie draft, but any team can jump ahead of us by delisting if they want a player bad enough.

A team like Essendon could try to do what I'm saying who only have two picks and their last is at 20, if they really really rate a kid but don't have the late selection for him, nothing is stopping them from delisting someone, picking up the kid in the PSD then the delisted player in the rookie draft. That way they jump ahead of our rookie draft pick one selection.

Getting Membrey for nothing is handy, remember Rockliff was a PSD pick so it could be handy having an open pick there. Unlikely, very unlikely we will use it - but it's there for us

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Remboy, what the? Of course we will use pick 41, there will be very very good players taken right up to 55odd this draft is pretty deep.

Interesting though, that there are only 65 live selections this year, without the usual 'passes'. So it will depend on which club has any interest in the PSD, if no one has list spots, then we wouldn't bother but there could be some players like Webb who could slip, he could be this years Eli and we might want to delist/pick up Simpkin to ensure we get him.

Keeping in mind we do have pick one in the rookie draft, but any team can jump ahead of us by delisting if they want a player bad enough.

A team like Essendon could try to do what I'm saying who only have two picks and their last is at 20, if they really really rate a kid but don't have the late selection for him, nothing is stopping them from delisting someone, picking up the kid in the PSD then the delisted player in the rookie draft. That way they jump ahead of our rookie draft pick one selection.

Getting Membrey for nothing is handy, remember Rockliff was a PSD pick so it could be handy having an open pick there. Unlikely, very unlikely we will use it - but it's there for us
where did you get the idea that there are only 65 live draft picks....?

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Are you people serious?

What choice did they have? We have the No.1 pick in the PSD if we wanted to use it.

Anyway after TDL its the absolute least they could have done.
Exactly, the swans are so flushed with academy free hits they didn't need any picks that were around membrey's value, it's the very least they could do to allow him to start training earlier.

Only the scumiest of clubs wouldn't de-list the player in these circumstances... Probably only Essendon & Collingwood.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Why did you have to hijack this post with sarcasm? Sydney has enabled St Kilda to pick up Membrey for 'free' and still have pick 1 in the pre-season draft. With this pick we might pick up McKernan who 'could' play the Stanley role. This means we could then use the pick we got for Stanley on another midfielder which we desperately need. This is a 'win' for us and Sydney made it possible by de-listing Membrey earlier than they had to. They didn't have to do this but as a Goodwill gesture they did.
Why did you have to start a new thread on this subject when there was already a 10 page thread on Membrey up and running which included this exact subject :roll: :roll:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
citywest wrote:
Why did you have to start a new thread on this subject when there was already a 10 page thread on Membrey up and running which included this exact subject :roll: :roll:
Me, me, me.

Well they could of demanded a trade or delisted him a month earlier. if so it may of cost us. They also could of traded him to another club. In the end he walked to us for free regardless of how you want to look at it the swans helped us secure his services and to boot we keep our 1st pick in the PSD. Can't you picture Eddie on his soap box?had he of been a pies player? We seem to trade with the swans quite a bit, sometimes to our advantage sometimes to theirs, in comparison how well have we traded with Collingwood?

Unless of course you think Membrey is worth nothing

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

St Ick wrote:Remboy, what the? Of course we will use pick 41, there will be very very good players taken right up to 55odd this draft is pretty deep.
Probably should have expressed myself a little clearer. I was trying to say that we won't have a spare place on our list to use in the PSD unless we only take three in the draft. Like you, I can't see us not using 41 so we won't be able to go in the PSD.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Well they could of demanded a trade or delisted him a month earlier. if so it may of cost us. They also could of traded him to another club. In the end he walked to us for free regardless of how you want to look at it the swans helped us secure his services and to boot we keep our 1st pick in the PSD. Can't you picture Eddie on his soap box?had he of been a pies player? We seem to trade with the swans quite a bit, sometimes to our advantage sometimes to theirs, in comparison how well have we traded with Collingwood?

Unless of course you think Membrey is worth nothing
Not really, he nominated us so couldn't be traded to another club without his approval. If they'd de-listed him a month ago we could have just picked him up as a de-listed free agent.

Membrey was pick 47 two years ago and has only played half a game in that time, so his value is pretty low - somewhere in the 40 to 50-odd range. Since the swans won't be using picks as late as the 60 we had, we therefore had nothing to trade them.

As the guy was out of contract and wanted to go to the side with pick 1 in the PSD, we weren't going to pay overs or even market rate with our pick 41.

Playon
Club Player

Well another club could of offered more dollars and as a de-listed free agent isn't he on the open market, and if he is, what would it of cost us? If anything it raises doubt, and if more dollars were offered his manager would of advised to go elsewhere. Would of any of the other bottom sides had any interest and wiling to pay more i don't know, maybe, maybe not. its still a smooth transition to our club and the best possible price

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Well another club could of offered more dollars and as a de-listed free agent isn't he on the open market, and if he is, what would it of cost us? If anything it raises doubt, and if more dollars were offered his manager would of advised to go elsewhere. Would of any of the other bottom sides had any interest and wiling to pay more i don't know, maybe, maybe not. its still a smooth transition to our club
I think like with Bruce we had the most money and a good chance for seniors opportunities.

A de-listed free agent can go wherever they choose and the club taking them pays nothing… except their wage and a spot on the list.

Agree though, it's the best outcome given he can start training with the rest of the group.

I just wouldn't be singing the swans praises too highly, they had very little bargaining power here.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Good will. Ha ! Ha! Spin, spin, spin.
Buddy ate all the money that should have been offered to other players.
Last year they thought they would be reducing Nick Malceski pay packet in his new contract negotiations this year, then he goes and gets All Australian selection.
You got to be kidding, I'm out of here.
Could not afford to even make an offer to Membrey.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Playon
Club Player

Yeah but :) For example Carlton wanted him and were willing to pay more than the Saints, his club of choice may of changed. I'm sure there are many ways to play hardball as a club. However I still thing the swans did the fair thing by both the player and us and not so much as had to with no choice

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Yeah but :) For example Carlton wanted him and were willing to pay more than the Saints, his club of choice may of changed. I'm sure there are many ways to play hardball as a club. However I still thing the swans did the fair thing by both the player and us and not so much as had to with no choice
If Carlton really wanted him they would have offered him more money than us. They went after Jaksch…

You have to remember that we have the biggest salary cap space in the comp.

The swans had no ball to play hard with here.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:We'll only use the PSD if there is nobody available at pick 41 in the national draft. Personally, I'd rather see us use pick 41. Anyone who's any good will find a home as a delisted free agent. If they don't there will be a good reason.
The way i read it, after taking Membrey we only have 4 more picks and the list is full

1-21-22-41

done

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
St.Rob8
Club Player

Can we delist another player if we think there is better value at pick 1 in the PSD or are senior lists now finalised for current players ahead of the drafts?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

St.Rob8 wrote:Can we delist another player if we think there is better value at pick 1 in the PSD or are senior lists now finalised for current players ahead of the drafts?
There are at least 2 more list lodgements so the club can still delist a player, BUT, it may cost them a years coin to payout the contracted, now delisted, player.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?