What's left in the PSD and rookie draft?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's left in the PSD and rookie draft?

White Winmar wrote:What about McKernan? Has our choice of two KP types cruelled his chances, or are we stockpiling?

I hope not. We should only take mids for the rookie draft. We should only take mids in next years draft. Mids mids and mids. Even thinking of starting to drink mid strength. No sorry can never do that.

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Capiron, Bampton, Kietel, Hammelman, Glenn would be good gets then the likes of Jack Hayes, Keenan Ramsey, Jake Johanssen, Tom Read. All quality players

Would take 3 of these plus Schneids to get our 4 rookies

marshdeez

I would like to see Petrenko, Saad, Schneider, and Jeremy Taylor. I reckon Saad and Petrenko have the ability to have bursts in the middle. I think Saad would benefit from Richo's coaching, and it would be a nice gesture from the club to look after a bloke of outstanding character who made an unfortunate mistake.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

From Knightmare, BigFooty's draft expert (and who nailed the first 12 picks in the draft player-for-player) on what's left in the Rookie Draft:
Bampton is the best of those to miss out and he is a guy I project to make it at the next level, such is my liking for his game. Josh Glenn, Will Fordham, Nic Newman, Brett Turner, Billy Evans, Brenden Abbott, Garrett McDonagh and Billy Gowers are among those I still like of those leftovers.
I would love Bampton as a rookie. I would have taken R.McKenzie at 75 but Bampton is the one guy who went undrafted that I'm really bullish about.
Huge rap there for Bampton. Sounds like he was very stiff to miss out in the main draft and would be an ideal #1 choice.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 28 Nov 2014 5:36pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

1. Bampton - big bodied mid
2. Petrenko - front pressure, quick goal sneak
3. Taylor - 190 cm utility, super fit
4. Schneider - schniederman!

Nee!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not that it means a great deal, but Bampton was picked at #33 in the SCS mock draft.
Pick 33. Richmond

Peter Bampton (South Australia/Norwood)
Inside Midfielder
15.4.1996 Height: 182cm Weight: 83kg
Player Similarity: Luke Dunstan

Why: Bampton is the perfect fit for Richmond who need ready-made midfielders. Bampton's highlights in the SANFL has shown he's one of the best prospects from this draft to be able to fit in at AFL level straight away. He has an excellent ability to find the ball inside a pack and extract it. He knows how to use his body and uses his strength to his advantage in a contest. His endurance is top notch, helping him get around the ground well. The only knocks to his play is he's not a great kick, a bit of a one trick pony and may not have as high a ceiling as other midfield prospects around him.
What I've seen of his draft tapes suggests he is pretty much exactly the above. And there's not much to dislike about him, really. Not blisteringly quick and won't kick 40 goals a year, but they're usually either gun high picks or speculative late-picks who unexpectedly bloom.

Bampton is a honest, good, strong footballer who could easily carve out a 150+ game career. You pick him every week and forget about him - because you know he'll deliver.

And given the profile our midfield, another tough body to help Dunstan and Steven, while Billings, McKenzie and Acres do the outside work, is actually quite valuable.

It does reinforce the need of a few blokes - Seb Ross, Brodie Murdoch and Nathan Wright especially - to step up and make it.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Not that it means a great deal, but Bampton was picked at #33 in the SCS mock draft.
Pick 33. Richmond

Inside Midfielder
He also wore No 33 in a highlights package I watched. An inside mid who relishes body contact, and not slow.
No 33 happens to be vacant :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Fri 28 Nov 2014 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Die Hard 7
Club Player

Bampton could play round 1 if he gets the chance, played SANFL league at 17 and was touted as a top 20 pick before injury struck him down, limiting his year. Have seen him play and would provide immediate grunt and clearances.
Then Kietel and Capiron/Taylor and Schneids

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Die Hard 7 wrote:Bampton could play round 1 if he gets the chance, played SANFL league at 17 and was touted as a top 20 pick before injury struck him down, limiting his year. Have seen him play and would provide immediate grunt and clearances.
Then Kietel and Capiron/Taylor and Schneids
Agreed DH7. Surprised he didn't get picked. It was that sort of draft though. Lots of players slid or missed out. Personally I think he's worth a shot. As P66 said, mids, mids and more mids from here on in. I think he could develop into a very good player.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

From The Age's Draft Combine Harvester:
Peter Bampton (Norwood)

Born 15.4.1996, 182cm, 83kg

AFL biography: Hard running, strong bodied medium midfielder with an appetite for the contest. Has played senior football over the past couple of seasons for Norwood before injuring his ankle and missing the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Has an excellent ability to extract the footy from the stoppage and run hard forward. Averaging 19 disposals and three clearances at senior SANFL level.

Brenton Phillips, SANFL: "He just hasn't been able to get going because of injury, unfortunately. He had a bad shoulder and a bit of a foot or ankle problem so he couldn't get a run at the national championships and he would have been in our leadership group if not our captain. He's a quality individual who has a real team and club focus. He's worthy of a spot on a list. The question mark is his ability to cover the ground and spread from a contest, but he's a very good inside player."

ace
Saintsational Legend

Hugh Goddard was never considered to be drafted at No 21.
We were supposed to take two mid sized players at 21 & 22.
Hugh was just too good a gift to be overlooked by us.
That means we got one more tall than we expected.

The problem with taking a rookie midfielder to replace pick No 21 is that rookie midfielders virtually never make it to elite level (the present Brownlow medalist is the exception).
They make it to GOP at best.
But if we want to win a premiership we need elite midfielders.
The best bets among rookies are small forwards and ruckmen.
Maybe Saad but do we need another ruck prospect.

As it stands we have all 4 type A rookie places vacant.
If we fill them all now then we only have Schneider's place vacant in 2015 (unless we promote someone).
It may be best to leave one rookie type A place vacant for a year.
Last edited by ace on Fri 28 Nov 2014 7:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Hugh Goddard was never considered to be drafted at No 21.

The problem with taking a rookie midfielder to replace pick No 21 is that rookie midfielders virtually never make it to elite level (the present Brownlow medalist is the exception).

Mitchell. Take only mids as rookies.

ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Sam Mitchell of Hawthorn was at No36 in the 2001 main draft.
Matt Priddis of West Coast was taken at rookie pick No31 in the "2006" rookie draft (took place at end of 2005)
The following year 2006 he won the Sandover Medal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sam Mitchell of Hawthorn was at No36 in the 2001 main draft.
Matt Priddis of West Coast was taken at rookie pick No31 in the "2006" rookie draft (took place at end of 2005)
The following year 2006 he won the Sandover Medal.
Argue away, but for the rest of us there is no value based on what 's written here, why, well on the one hand rookie midfielders don't cut it, but, if they do, they are the exception.

That's a bit each way kind of argument which wasn't what your point ...next
Last edited by Wayne42 on Fri 28 Nov 2014 10:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Bampton yes solid inside mid, but also look at Jake Johansen. Another SA u18 who has played senior Sanfl in the past 2 years. Like Bampton also struck down with injury in 2nd half of season but look at his stats at the u18 carnival this year and they stack up pretty well. Knock on him is he is short, but he would be a good one if we wanted an outside runner who provides lots of overlap.

Love is all you need
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully we can get another Eli Templeton in the rookie draft

Johnny Favier
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Not that it means a great deal, but Bampton was picked at #33 in the SCS mock draft.
Pick 33. Richmond

Inside Midfielder

Why: Bampton is the perfect fit for Richmond who need ready-made midfielders. Bampton's highlights in the SANFL has shown he's one of the best prospects from this draft to be able to fit in at AFL level straight away. He has an excellent ability to find the ball inside a pack and extract it. He knows how to use his body and uses his strength to his advantage in a contest. His endurance is top notch, helping him get around the ground well. The only knocks to his play is he's not a great kick, a bit of a one trick pony and may not have as high a ceiling as other midfield prospects around him.
What I've seen of his draft tapes suggests he is pretty much exactly the above. And there's not much to dislike about him, really. Not blisteringly quick and won't kick 40 goals a year, but they're usually either gun high picks or speculative late-picks who unexpectedly bloom.

Bampton is a honest, good, strong footballer who could easily carve out a 150+ game career. You pick him every week and forget about him - because you know he'll deliver.

And given the profile our midfield, another tough body to help Dunstan and Steven, while Billings, McKenzie and Acres do the outside work, is actually quite valuable.

It does reinforce the need of a few blokes - Seb Ross, Brodie Murdoch and Nathan Wright especially - to step up and make it.
Sounds to me like a Steven Sziller type player - could be pretty handy for us if we go that way.

Gershwin
Club Player

Bampton.
"The question mark is his ability to cover the ground and spread from a contest, but he's a very good inside player."

Can't imagine us going for a guy who can't spread.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player

From Cal Twomey (AFL):

"CLUBS are already thinking about next week's NAB AFL Pre-Season and Rookie drafts, assessing the talent that wasn't selected at Thursday night's national intake. Here are 10 names who might be considered.

Peter Bampton (182cm, 83kg, midfielder): A ball-winner who has really solid frame, which means he could step into a club and play a role. Bampton averaged 19 touches in seven senior SANFL games for Norwood this year, having missed the under-18 championships with an ankle injury.

Daniel Capiron (189cm, 81kg, defender): Was overlooked after an inconsistent season where he struggled to find any continuity. But he has shown signs across two seasons of his ability to read the ball in the air, be a good intercept marker across half-back and offer rebound.

Will Fordham (188cm, 78kg, midfielder): Came on towards the end of the season, and a handful of clubs had interest in him late. Fordham played 20 games for the Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup and averaged 20 disposals. He carries strong athleticism, a bit of speed and is a nice size for clubs looking for midfield height.

Matt Hammelmann (197cm, 88kg, forward): He can join the Brisbane Lions under the pre-selection rookie rule as a member of their academy. Other clubs might take a look if they don't, as Hammelmann has shown signs he can be used at either end of the ground with success. Mainly it's as a forward, though, where he presents on the lead and kicks well.

Nick Jackson (195cm, 86kg, defender): Jackson is a tall defender who can shut down players, and tends to read the play well in the air. He played just one game at the mid-year carnival for Queensland through injury, but could be an option for a club looking for another young developing tall back.

Tyler Keitel (194cm, 86kg, forward/defender): Spent the season pushing back and forward, and showing he could play a role at either end. His athleticism is what might hold him back, but given his versatility a club might see something to work with.

Oleg Markov (186cm, 69kg, forward): Having broken his collarbone twice this year, Markov's limited exposure would have contributed to him not being drafted. A club might be better placed to take him on as a rookie, given his speed and athletic ability in the forward line and midfield

Rowan Marshall (198cm, 87kg, ruckman): Marshall has played as a ruckman, but at his height clubs see him more as a tall forward at the next level who can also shift into defence. He was overlooked at last year's draft and returned to play some strong footy for Vic Country and the North Ballarat Rebels.

Braydon Preuss (205cm, 102kg, ruckman): The rookie draft is where recruiters will take more of a look at ruckmen, with Preuss on the radar of several clubs. The towering Quuenslander doesn't collect heaps of the ball but can present and offer a contest in the air, and has got some skill when competing at ball-ups.

Francis Watson (186cm, 76kg, defender): An agile, mobile defender who loves to run with the ball tucked under his arm. He has a great natural leap and is an instinctive player who improved immensely this season and has plenty of upside. Watson played four games for Western Australia at the national championships as an over-aged player."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Munga
Saintsational Legend

So Jackson, Fordham and Bampton?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Most if not all of these fellas will be gone before we get our second pick.

santazzi
Club Player

Thinking of rookies...where do our two Kiwi recruits fit in the scheme of things? Does anyone know how they are tracking??

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:What about McKernan? Has our choice of two KP types cruelled his chances, or are we stockpiling?

I hope not. We should only take mids for the rookie draft. We should only take mids in next years draft. Mids mids and mids. Even thinking of starting to drink mid strength. No sorry can never do that.
We will not be picking up McKernan. He has not impressed.

Petrenko yes, despite him not getting the football too much. His defensive pressure has really impressed.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Pick 33. Richmond

Inside Midfielder

I think seb will end up a very very good footballer......Another Lenny even

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Munga wrote:Is Membrey a FA acquisition or PSD?
PSD
No he was taken by us as an uncontracted free agent

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.