Jack Steven contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven contract

Con Gorozidis wrote:
remboy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
remboy wrote: If he leaves as a free agent we'd have to be a good chance of getting band 1 compo, which is the pick after our first pick. However, you've got to draw a line at how many players we lose in the quest for early picks. We'd be on a constant rebuild cycle - drafting quality talent and then losing it at the first opportunity.
Yeah but isnt our entire list strategy getting a critical mass of high end talent all at a similar age?
So we have 12 guns within 4 years age of each other so they are all peaking at the same time?
It is but if, while we're picking up number one picks, we keep losing our best players, it will take longer to progress.
Jacky boy would be right on the edge of the 'window zone'. 30 in 2020.
But for sure if he wants in we keep him. Agree with you there.

I just thought the convo had moved on to 'what if he wants out'. What if he sees a flag at GWS or GC in 2017 when hes 27?

If we went for Shiel it would have to be a Bulldogs-Boyd-Griffen type of scenario.

No because Jack is a FA. Both Griffin and Boyd weren't.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So we are back where we started if Jack goes then its a compo job.
Hopefully thr AFL doesnt change the rules.

There are only two options here

Jack wants to stay - he stays
Jack wants to go - we get a top 5 pick guaranteed.

The end.

But we could still choose a trade over compo remember - so the FA doesnt necessarily have to be played out. A deal could be done without FA.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:But we could still choose a trade over compo remember - so the FA doesnt necessarily have to be played out. A deal could be done without FA.
I don't think we are going to see a team trade for a big name if they are eligible for free agency, a bit like with Dal Santo… North were never going to part with a pick or player while they could get him for free.

I guess the only way would be if a team is losing a player to FA and doesn't want to dilute their compensation.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He came as pick 42 and that's what we would get - a third round pick - or a pick at the end of the second round at best. If he wins the Brownlow next year, as predicted by so many, then that might change things. Just like me winning $30 million in Ozlotto tomorrow might change things as well. I'll give the Saints a few million so that they can actually hire somebody to work on skills. With Jack Steven, we won't have a choice. We will have to pay him a lot above what he is worth because we are last place beggars, and beggars can't be choosy. I hope he comes good.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:He came as pick 42 and that's what we would get - a third round pick - or a pick at the end of the second round at best. If he wins the Brownlow next year, as predicted by so many, then that might change things. Just like me winning $30 million in Ozlotto tomorrow might change things as well. I'll give the Saints a few million so that they can actually hire somebody to work on skills. With Jack Steven, we won't have a choice. We will have to pay him a lot above what he is worth because we are last place beggars, and beggars can't be choosy. I hope he comes good.

Don't get silly. He would be assessed on his value not on where he was drafted. If we finish last he is likely to get us pick 2. If he stays his contract terms will likely be long and a high dollar value, yes. Most top clubs aren't going to be able to out play us on cash so he in all likelihood stays on an increased contract. We front load it and it doesn't change much. If he has a great year there would be no harm in paying your best players well.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Don't get silly...he is likely to get us pick 2.
Gary Ablett got Geelong a middle of first round pick - number 15. And Jack Steven is going to get us pick 2? And if we finish last again, that would be even more reason for the AFL not to confer a high draft pick, because we will already have pick 1. I think I know who is being silly.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Gary Ablett got Geelong a middle of first round pick - number 15. And Jack Steven is going to get us pick 2? And if we finish last again, that would be even more reason for the AFL not to confer a high draft pick, because we will already have pick 1. I think I know who is being silly.
And James Frawley got Melbourne pick 3, when they already had pick 2.

Think the silly title is still up for grabs.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
You don't really understand the system, do you?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we lose Jack we would want something really good in return.
If we ended up with picks 1 and 2, and 20 1nd 38, I would try fro a trade with GWS, pick 2 for Treloar and their 2nd pick. Something like that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

I think your last 2 posts show how little you know about footy. You are still to embarrassed by your comments that he was the worst player to pull on a Saints jumper. That shows complete lack of knowledge of footy and now you show you don't even understand FA. Its all a bit sad. But predicable. You cant admit wrong even when it is proven you are wrong. By the way I cant remember one person saying Jack will win the brownlow next season. That is called a lie to prove some sort of point.

PJ
SS Life Member

Let's just hope Jack signs up soon. Hate seeing our best players leave and Jack gives us some real class around the stoppages.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Amazing stuff. Do you actually understand FA?

Let's wait and see how well he goes in 2015 before making assumptions. Remember, he has come off a pretty ordinary season.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Let's wait and see how well he goes in 2015 before making assumptions. Remember, he has come off a pretty ordinary season.
He spent the preseason and part of the main season in a moon boot. He was probably never quite up to full fitness and also playing on a suspect foot and we all saw what happened to Gilbo when he came back too early.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Mmm...some worrying signs with Jack. There is going to be a lot of heat come for him from other clubs. The problem for Jack is its going to be damn hard work for him for the next 4 years. He is going to be targeted and smashed by the oppo in the same way that Joey is because they are one of the few Saints that can actually hurt you. He's a little guy and they will be pummelling him in packs at every opportunity. The thought from a lot of teams this year will be "Stop Steven and their midfield won't be a threat and we can open up the game and get a percentage boost". Has he played any finals? He's hitting his prime now but he could be 28 before he even gets to play any finals. But he could go to Hawks or Geelong (he's from there isn't he) or North or Richmond and get finals experience straight away in a team surrounded by big bodied, quality mids where the pressure is off him. I couldn't blame him if he leaves to be honest, but If he sticks with us it will a brilliant act of loyalty. We need his ability to open the game up with speed to keep the oppo backline honest.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Mmm...some worrying signs with Jack. There is going to be a lot of heat come for him from other clubs. The problem for Jack is its going to be damn hard work for him for the next 4 years. He is going to be targeted and smashed by the oppo in the same way that Joey is because they are one of the few Saints that can actually hurt you. He's a little guy and they will be pummelling him in packs at every opportunity. The thought from a lot of teams this year will be "Stop Steven and their midfield won't be a threat and we can open up the game and get a percentage boost". Has he played any finals? He's hitting his prime now but he could be 28 before he even gets to play any finals. But he could go to Hawks or Geelong (he's from there isn't he) or North or Richmond and get finals experience straight away in a team surrounded by big bodied, quality mids where the pressure is off him. I couldn't blame him if he leaves to be honest, but If he sticks with us it will a brilliant act of loyalty. We need his ability to open the game up with speed to keep the oppo backline honest.
The boy from Lorne.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Down the Great Ocean Road............

from Micky Turner's football factory.............

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So we are back where we started if Jack goes then its a compo job.
Hopefully thr AFL doesnt change the rules.

There are only two options here

The end.

But we could still choose a trade over compo remember - so the FA doesnt necessarily have to be played out. A deal could be done without FA.
No he can't go unless we let him go because we don't want to match a contract offer. We have to want to sell him off and we would only really be in danger of a crap club offering the kind of money we can offer him. He's a restricted FA.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: There are only two options here

The end.
Exactly. It looks like a win/win to me. We either get to keep a quality player, or we get a top 5 pick.

The issue is, are we, when it comes to premiership windows, better off keeping a player who will be senior to the core group (providing valuable experience) but who will peak before they hit their prime, or grabbing a new player (losing valuable experience) but who will peak with the rest of the core?

At the end of the day, the clubs task is simple: do everything possible to keep Jack, because simply it is the right thing to do....
and if he decides he wants to go, then so be it, all the best to him and we work with the compensation we recieve for him....
This is a newish thing in football, in that it is entirely Jack's decision - The club doesn't have any hard decisions to make, the hard decision lies solely in Jack's lap.
I hope he decides to say, because I've loved him as a player ever since his first game where he banged 3 against geelong on a crappy wet night at the MCG, and I just love his gut running... but if he chooses to go, I won't begrudge him a bit. It's just unfortunate that he slots into the exact wrong generation to be a st.kilda player, hitting his peak right as our list development is in its trough... just a stroke of bad luck, really... Armitage a similar story...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Bluthy wrote:Mmm...some worrying signs with Jack. There is going to be a lot of heat come for him from other clubs. The problem for Jack is its going to be damn hard work for him for the next 4 years. He is going to be targeted and smashed by the oppo in the same way that Joey is because they are one of the few Saints that can actually hurt you. He's a little guy and they will be pummelling him in packs at every opportunity. The thought from a lot of teams this year will be "Stop Steven and their midfield won't be a threat and we can open up the game and get a percentage boost". Has he played any finals? He's hitting his prime now but he could be 28 before he even gets to play any finals. But he could go to Hawks or Geelong (he's from there isn't he) or North or Richmond and get finals experience straight away in a team surrounded by big bodied, quality mids where the pressure is off him. I couldn't blame him if he leaves to be honest, but If he sticks with us it will a brilliant act of loyalty. We need his ability to open the game up with speed to keep the oppo backline honest.
Some good points (as ever) Bluthy.

Jack wanting to play finals:
If so, I reckon that he should be looking at the likes of
Ought Power, Swines, Sons of Beaches, Teddy Bears, Swines (if their board doesn't lose its nerve during their mini rebuild), Poodles (maybe) and (big maybes) Wogans and Dreamons.
The others IMHO, will soon be on the decline.
Carlscum have peaked, and oh so predictably, that peak wasn't good enough. :lol: Richmond will do the same. Nuff Nuff are manically topping-up to prevent them from also following suite.

Protecting Jack:
I noticed that issue in the preseason game against the Hillbillies.
However, everyone keeps saying that outside runners are our problem, as we have plenty of in and under-type mids. So I'd simply suggest that Jack spends more time outside than inside.
Also, we have have some combative hard nuts that we can 'deploy' through the mid field to keep opposition snipers on their toes. :evil:
Armo', Weller, Membrey, Gears, Curren, Newnes (seems to be relishing the rough n' tumble now), Bruce (is quick too), and also Longer is not shrinking violet.
So I'm not so worried about that now.

Hopefully we keep Jack. He's a ripper. But I guess that at least we should have the worst case scenario covered, and hence be able to get reasonable compensation should we lose him.

Thoughts...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
sasaint
Club Player

Jack is a ripper player but IMHO we are likely to lose him to another team at the end of the year. He will be looking to join a team who believe they are in a premiership window. The compensation of course will be probably a 1st round selection. I think this will work well for us in a draft with a supposedly strong midfield players. Exactly what we need. I would be much more worried about losing one of our young players which we would get little or no compensation for... Remember Cripps. :evil:

Patience young grasshopper
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Jack is a ripper player but IMHO we are likely to lose him to another team at the end of the year. He will be looking to join a team who believe they are in a premiership window. The compensation of course will be probably a 1st round selection. I think this will work well for us in a draft with a supposedly strong midfield players. Exactly what we need. I would be much more worried about losing one of our young players which we would get little or no compensation for... Remember Cripps. :evil:
Jack could be full on A grade next year if he is injury free.
Whilst getting pick 2 as compo would be great, we then turn into another GWS full of kids with no depth.

I'd prefer Jack stays even given great compo possibly on offer

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:

The end.
Exactly. It looks like a win/win to me. We either get to keep a quality player, or we get a top 5 pick.

The issue is, are we, when it comes to premiership windows, better off keeping a player who will be senior to the core group (providing valuable experience) but who will peak before they hit their prime, or grabbing a new player (losing valuable experience) but who will peak with the rest of the core?

At the end of the day, the clubs task is simple: do everything possible to keep Jack, because simply it is the right thing to do....
and if he decides he wants to go, then so be it, all the best to him and we work with the compensation we recieve for him....
This is a newish thing in football, in that it is entirely Jack's decision - The club doesn't have any hard decisions to make, the hard decision lies solely in Jack's lap.
I hope he decides to say, because I've loved him as a player ever since his first game where he banged 3 against geelong on a crappy wet night at the MCG, and I just love his gut running... but if he chooses to go, I won't begrudge him a bit. It's just unfortunate that he slots into the exact wrong generation to be a st.kilda player, hitting his peak right as our list development is in its trough... just a stroke of bad luck, really... Armitage a similar story...

The club does have one very hard decision to make though. If Jack receives an average offer we must match it because we wont get a first round pick but the big decision is if Jack receives a great offer we must decide if we match it because unlike when BJ left Jack is closer to finals at the Saints and is slightly younger and we have the money in the SC. So the decision the club will have is if they make Jack our highest paid player to keep him. I would keep him. You cant keep losing your best players to other sides.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Some good points (as ever) Bluthy.

Jack wanting to play finals:
If so, I reckon that he should be looking at the likes of
Ought Power, Swines, Sons of Beaches, Teddy Bears, Swines (if their board doesn't lose its nerve during their mini rebuild), Poodles (maybe) and (big maybes) Wogans and Dreamons.
The others IMHO, will soon be on the decline.
Carlscum have peaked, and oh so predictably, that peak wasn't good enough. :lol: Richmond will do the same. Nuff Nuff are manically topping-up to prevent them from also following suite.

Protecting Jack:
I noticed that issue in the preseason game against the Hillbillies.
However, everyone keeps saying that outside runners are our problem, as we have plenty of in and under-type mids. So I'd simply suggest that Jack spends more time outside than inside.
Also, we have have some combative hard nuts that we can 'deploy' through the mid field to keep opposition snipers on their toes. :evil:
Armo', Weller, Membrey, Gears, Curren, Newnes (seems to be relishing the rough n' tumble now), Bruce (is quick too), and also Longer is not shrinking violet.
So I'm not so worried about that now.

Hopefully we keep Jack. He's a ripper. But I guess that at least we should have the worst case scenario covered, and hence be able to get reasonable compensation should we lose him.

Thoughts...?

I have no idea what you are talking about so I cant help you with my thoughts. Can I ask you why you keep calling clubs kids names. It isn't funny and it isn't clever. it is boring though and turns me off the rest of what you write.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:

The end.

The club does have one very hard decision to make though. If Jack receives an average offer we must match it because we wont get a first round pick but the big decision is if Jack receives a great offer we must decide if we match it because unlike when BJ left Jack is closer to finals at the Saints and is slightly younger and we have the money in the SC. So the decision the club will have is if they make Jack our highest paid player to keep him. I would keep him. You cant keep losing your best players to other sides.

I totally agree with that. Jack is the king of the kids and is the next marquee player if he gets back to last years form. My son jumped on him early and has his number on the back of his jumper and plays all his sports in number 3 because of Jack. Jack is an infectious young guy who goes out of his way to get amongst the fans and loves being around the kids at training. He would be a worthy top paid player once Rooey and Joey etc go. At training the kids all flock to him.