The race for Rice

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: The race for Rice

Malthouse just threw Trigg under a bus on his way out saying he stole Eddie Betts 18 months before the FA period. Carlton are a rabble. Rice would be crazy to nominate them for anything.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

At this stage, which club he chooses is anyone's guess. Sure, Carlton doesn't look like a great option for anyone right now, but who knows? It is quite likely they could make themselves look a lot more appealing come end of season: new president, new coach, priority draft picks and a new image could make them look quite enticing, particularly for a kid who grew up barracking for them.

Sounds like the Scumbaggers have a few father-son acquisitions to look at. I think it's about time we picked one up. For the life of me, I'm struggling to remember our last player who was the son of a Saint. Of course there was Michael Roberts in the '80s and then The Bull's kid, David Sierakowski, in the '90s. Ian Stewart's son only made it as far as playing in our reserves back in the early '90s. Yep, we're overdue for a father-son acquisition!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stjay
Club Player

gringo wrote:Malthouse just threw Trigg under a bus on his way out saying he stole Eddie Betts 18 months before the FA period. Carlton are a rabble. Rice would be crazy to nominate them for anything.
If the kid is logical about it he'll pick the Saints.
If his decision is based on emotion it will be Carlscum.
On balance, what basis do you reckon a 17-18y.o kid makes a decision?
Especially on footy.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Er....

As far as we should be concerned, this decision is not up to the kid.

We take the best available for what we can give. If it works out that the father/son romance all works out, then so be it.

If not, then it is what it is. There is a list we need to build here.
Last edited by bigred on Tue 26 May 2015 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Er....

We take the best available for what we can give. If it works out that the father/son romance all works out, then so be it.

If not, then so be it. There is a list we need to build here.

Well is up to the kid if we want him and so do Carlton.

stjay
Club Player

bigred wrote:Er....

If not, then it is what it is. There is a list we need to build here.

You're quite right, the ultimate decision is made by the club but we are actually far better off holding the cards (i.e a talented kid wan'ts to join our club) than not being in the equation.
The luxury of having that dilemma would be a nice change. Of course, if it doesn't happen, we all move on.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

With these changes to the rules I'm not that fussed about the whole thing.

Unfortunately we missed our chance to pick up a gun or two with a 3rd rounder. Now you're basically paying what the kid's worth anyway.

With that in mind I'm really only interested if the Son is an absolute gun OR the Father is an absolute legend of the club. Then I may get keen on what's happening.

For me Rice falls into the "I'm happy if he comes but won't be shattered if he doesn't" category.

The Barometer
Club Player

"The 18-year-old has spent a few Tuesdays at St Kilda headquarters already, going through tapes of his games with the recruiting team and coaches, and getting a sense of what it would be like to play for the Saints. Carlton had him along to a president's function recently, and he got to go into the rooms before the game to watch the players warming up."

Saints invest in youth, Carlton sense of entitlement.

Maybe this is why the saints have successfully regenerated with youth a number of times in the previous 25 years while Carlton have not moved on from the brown paper bag days.
Have lunch with Sticks and the boys and you too will play in a premiership, its inevitable we are Carlton...why develop when you can buy players? it worked in the 80s so lets buy Judd, trade out a young key forward and high draft pick and oops...it doesn't work anymore.

If he is good enough for us to draft hopefully he sees the clubs for what they currently are, not what they were.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The blues also have a chance of picking up Jack Silvagni and Jake Bradley father son. Given this, maybe they won't go chasing Bailey Rice with 100% effort and if he's good enough the Saints will have a new bowl of special fried rice to enjoy.
Last edited by prwilkinson on Wed 27 May 2015 9:07am, edited 2 times in total.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:His knee turned out to be as crook as Shane Wakelin's ankle ...
Transferred in 2000, around the same time Hirdy was having his original navicular trouble…. Not saying anything is suss about it….

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
suss wrote:His knee turned out to be as crook as Shane Wakelin's ankle ...
Transferred in 2000, around the same time Hirdy was having his original navicular trouble…. Not saying anything is suss about it….

Carlton are a rabble rushie.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Rice will nominate StKilda take that as fact.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Rice will nominate StKilda take that as fact.

cmon curly out with it........big call im going to book mark this one...

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

As close as you'll get to the man himself saying it. Bookmark it now.

stjay
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Wow, that's a big call! Duly noted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Well its 50 50 isn't it. You are involved in what local club? Silvan?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Warburton.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Warburton.

A mate of baileys?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Warburton.

A mate of baileys?
Dean is the Junior Development officer for the DRJFL I worked with Dean 18 years ago and am also a Interleague coach now and have regular contact with Dean.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:At this stage, which club he chooses is anyone's guess. Sure, Carlton doesn't look like a great option for anyone right now, but who knows? It is quite likely they could make themselves look a lot more appealing come end of season: new president, new coach, priority draft picks and a new image could make them look quite enticing, particularly for a kid who grew up barracking for them.

Sounds like the Scumbaggers have a few father-son acquisitions to look at. I think it's about time we picked one up. For the life of me, I'm struggling to remember our last player who was the son of a Saint. Of course there was Michael Roberts in the '80s and then The Bull's kid, David Sierakowski, in the '90s. Ian Stewart's son only made it as far as playing in our reserves back in the early '90s. Yep, we're overdue for a father-son acquisition!

Barry Lawrence's kid played the odd game .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Sainternist wrote:At this stage, which club he chooses is anyone's guess. Sure, Carlton doesn't look like a great option for anyone right now, but who knows? It is quite likely they could make themselves look a lot more appealing come end of season: new president, new coach, priority draft picks and a new image could make them look quite enticing, particularly for a kid who grew up barracking for them.

Chad the Nad Davis?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saynta wrote:

Chad the Nad Davis?

No Steven Lawrence. Why would it be Davis? Lawrence wasn't a father son though.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
saynta wrote:

Chad the Nad Davis?

No. We got him from the Lions, but his father did play for the Saints.

I f you read the quoted postd, the poster stated he was having trouble remembering the last player who was the son of a saint.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
saynta wrote:

Chad the Nad Davis?

No. We got him from the Lions, but his father did play for the Saints.

I f you read the quoted postd, the poster stated he was having trouble remembering the last player who was the son of a saint.
I think if you quote the post that says Lawrence son played the odd game then I would assume he was saying his name was chad davis otherwise why even quote that post? Its not relevant.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

"can kick on both feet "

sign him up ffs!!