Hartlett and Steele to the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Hartlett and Steele to the Saints

Damian Barrett reporting that Hamish Hartlett and Jack Steele are heading to the saints. Can anyone confirm. Jaxons?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hartlett and Steele to the Saints

Apparently the AR connection is the main factor for Hartlett. According to old four eyes, the Steele deal was done a while ago, but yet to be confirmed. I know it's only Barrett, so make of it what you will. Still, he's out his nuts on the block by calling it publicly.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Thesaint127
Club Player

Any link to where he says or podcasts

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Hartlett is on huge coin, with years to run, relative to his actual output the last 2 seasons. Hope we don't get stung by that if he joins.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stkfc1
Club Player

Have heard from SA connection that things less than rosy at PA. Big issues with staff and players not being on same page for reasons on teams performance last two seasons. Not surprised if they loose a few this trade period.

Club Player

Will be a great outcome if true.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think HH makes sense for us. He could be that Burgyone type - a class ball user winger who you can throw on ball to change things up. I think he was pick 4 so he's got the predigree. We need more classy, creative ball users. We hope Billings comes on and Gresh looks likely in that way too but we can't leave it just to them.

He may be a bit outside at PA but I think we need more outside class and Richo has a good track record of getting players to work on their all roundedness (word?). But it would be goodbye pick 10 (or whatever we have) I reckon. PA could maybe pay some of his contract if its huge but we would still pay around the 500 mark I think.

If we got HH I like the variety we would be building with mids - to complement Armo, Ross, Dunstan and then maybe Steele as tough in and unders we've got:

Steven - speed, ball clearance, line breaker, link up
Acres - barnstorming, big, good marking, tackle breaker, line breaker
Gresham - creative, slippery, good ball user, vision, rest forward as goal scoring small
Billings - class ball user, creative, x-factor, versatile, hit up targets, good mark, goal scoring half forward
HH - class ball user winger/HB/on baller, creative, set up play from the back, hit up targets
Newnes - endurance, run the channel all day, link up, set up play from the back

That is starting to look like a strong rotation crop with a good mix of depth and class. You need that variety to be hard to stop and multi-dimensional and cover injuries.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

127 games. Didn't exactly light it up this year. Is he a GOP? Do we want to spend our capital on a GOP?

damienc
Club Player

Thesaint127 wrote:Any link to where he says or podcasts

If you go to NAB AFL trade radio and listen to the latest podcast you will hear the Barrett prognostications.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He can use the footy, similar style player to Jack Newnes.

Is he about 25?

damienc
Club Player

Steele would be a good fit for us and we for him IMO. I reckon he is coming.

Maybe the delay is because Steele is hooked into a bunch of other more complex deals we are trying to pull off.

Hartlett is a genuine star. The Power's Vice-Captain.

Taken by Port at pick 4 he is their highest draft score in the club's history. Had some indifferent performances this year by his standards but still managed to average 18 possessions.

A lot of clubs were interested in him a year ago but he stayed loyal to Port and now that loyalty has seemingly not been repaid.

If we get him that's a huge win to us. He has elite kicking skills. Can kick goals for anywhere in a 60 metre arc. Can play forward, back and in the midfield.

When he's on song he will win 26-28 possessions, week in week out. I'm sure we won't be the only ones chasing him again. But Richo knows Hartlett. That could count in our favour.

Also being mentioned in dispatches is the Weagles Tom Lamb wanting to come home. Really hope we get him.

Looks a bit like Eli. Just looks. Not playing style. Much, much taller than Eli.

Lamb has a great St Kilda pedigree. The grandson of Ian Cooper. Enough said.

Cooper was one of the very best to ever wear a St Kilda jumper.

Lamb trained with us but was picked up by West Coast in the draft. He's been described as an enigmatic footballer. Goes missing in a match then does something amazing.

He is tall, (193 cm) athletic with every skill in the book. His downside, if you could call it that, is a small on field attitude problem. He loses match focus.

Reminds me of his Grandfather (a bit) in playing style. But I am an old bastard.

A periodic MIA attitude problem is not a big deal in my view. If he comes to us and we can get that sorted, he is a Blake Acres type IMO.

I am sure Grandad would be a very happy man to see the dynasty continue.

So would I.

Playon
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Apparently the AR connection is the main factor for Hartlett. According to old four eyes, the Steele deal was done a while ago, but yet to be confirmed. I know it's only Barrett, so make of it what you will. Still, he's out his nuts on the block by calling it publicly.
Its a nothing story. Listen to it again. Sounds like he was just rehashing old stories. There's no I heard this or update since then etc. For example

Tom Rehn
Re: Jaxons come on down

Postby Playon » Wed 21 Sep 2016 2:11pm
St Kilda interested in Hamish Hartlett?

about 6 min mark
Last edited by Playon on Thu 29 Sep 2016 7:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

damienc
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I think HH makes sense for us. He could be that Burgyone type - a class ball user winger who you can throw on ball to change things up. I think he was pick 4 so he's got the predigree. We need more classy, creative ball users. We hope Billings comes on and Gresh looks likely in that way too but we can't leave it just to them.

He may be a bit outside at PA but I think we need more outside class and Richo has a good track record of getting players to work on their all roundedness (word?). But it would be goodbye pick 10 (or whatever we have) I reckon. PA could maybe pay some of his contract if its huge but we would still pay around the 500 mark I think.

If we got HH I like the variety we would be building with mids - to complement Armo, Ross, Dunstan and then maybe Steele as tough in and unders we've got:

Steven - speed, ball clearance, line breaker, link up
Acres - barnstorming, big, good marking, tackle breaker, line breaker
Gresham - creative, slippery, good ball user, vision, rest forward as goal scoring small
Billings - class ball user, creative, x-factor, versatile, hit up targets, good mark, goal scoring half forward
HH - class ball user winger/HB/on baller, creative, set up play from the back, hit up targets
Newnes - endurance, run the channel all day, link up, set up play from the back

That is starting to look like a strong rotation crop with a good mix of depth and class. You need that variety to be hard to stop and multi-dimensional and cover injuries.

Well said. Agree with you completely.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Harlett is a great get for us...

Exactly what we need and i feel like we've got the grunt players to let him play his natural game.

What's the cost?

Playon
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Harlett is a great get for us...

Exactly what we need and i feel like we've got the grunt players to let him play his natural game.

What's the cost?
He's a get for us? What are you basing this on? All I see is he's one of several possibilities

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:

What's the cost?
He's a get for us? What are you basing this on? All I see is he's one of several possibilities
Sorry,i meant he would be a great get for us

Playon
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Playon wrote:

What's the cost?
Sorry,i meant he would be a great get for us
I hear ya, but keep in mind where its coming from, and what did he actually say :)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I tell you what - if we do get HH and he costs us our first rounder that cements my suspicion that we are genuinely going for it. I would have preferred a slower build to get more top picks at the draft. But getting Carlisle and HH in their prime around that 25 age mark with our top picks starts our premiership clock ticking and indicates that we are releasing the handbrake and putting the foot to the floor to go for that flag in the next few years.

Richo is an ambitious bugger and I reckon he thinks we can have a real crack at it with the likes of Rooey, Joey, Armo still being a contested beast, Gilbo consistently getting on the ground again, Steven hitting his prime and the likes of Robbo, Newnes, Ross hitting an age/games bracket where they are really solid AFL players. Its bold - not the path I would have chosen. But strap yourself in - could be a wild ride over the next few years.

The Recruit
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I tell you what - if we do get HH and he costs us our first rounder that cements my suspicion that we are genuinely going for it. I would have preferred a slower build to get more top picks at the draft. But getting Carlisle and HH in their prime around that 25 age mark with our top picks starts our premiership clock ticking and indicates that we are releasing the handbrake and putting the foot to the floor to go for that flag in the next few years.

Richo is an ambitious bugger and I reckon he thinks we can have a real crack at it with the likes of Rooey, Joey, Armo still being a contested beast, Gilbo consistently getting on the ground again, Steven hitting his prime and the likes of Robbo, Newnes, Ross hitting an age/games bracket where they are really solid AFL players. Its bold - not the path I would have chosen. But strap yourself in - could be a wild ride over the next few years.
agree with this.....for this to happen

Gresham needs to become exceptional as an outside mid very quickly
Acers must explode in the next two years
and billings just has to come on as a match winner.....Hickey must stay fit.
Last edited by The Recruit on Thu 29 Sep 2016 9:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMS
Club Player

May be a back up plan but the play is Fyfe and LWeller IMO i god damn hope its the latter.
Many plays are on and many things tongo down but 90% we have fyfe and Lweller while losing billing s longer and eli.

Rosco
Club Player

SMS wrote:May be a back up plan but the play is Fyfe and LWeller IMO i god damn hope its the latter.
Many plays are on and many things tongo down but 90% we have fyfe and Lweller while losing billing s longer and eli.
90%?

On the sauce?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I tell you what - if we do get HH and he costs us our first rounder that cements my suspicion that we are genuinely going for it. I would have preferred a slower build to get more top picks at the draft. But getting Carlisle and HH in their prime around that 25 age mark with our top picks starts our premiership clock ticking and indicates that we are releasing the handbrake and putting the foot to the floor to go for that flag in the next few years.

Isn't the club's plan public knowledge?

Or are you say I g that Richardson has hijacked the very public club vision?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:Steele would be a good fit for us and we for him IMO. I reckon he is coming.

Maybe the delay is because Steele is hooked into a bunch of other more complex deals we are trying to pull off.

Hartlett is a genuine star. The Power's Vice-Captain.

Taken by Port at pick 4 he is their highest draft score in the club's history. Had some indifferent performances this year by his standards but still managed to average 18 possessions.

A lot of clubs were interested in him a year ago but he stayed loyal to Port and now that loyalty has seemingly not been repaid.

If we get him that's a huge win to us. He has elite kicking skills. Can kick goals for anywhere in a 60 metre arc. Can play forward, back and in the midfield.

When he's on song he will win 26-28 possessions, week in week out. I'm sure we won't be the only ones chasing him again. But Richo knows Hartlett. That could count in our favour.

Also being mentioned in dispatches is the Weagles Tom Lamb wanting to come home. Really hope we get him.

Looks a bit like Eli. Just looks. Not playing style. Much, much taller than Eli.

Lamb has a great St Kilda pedigree. The grandson of Ian Cooper. Enough said.

Cooper was one of the very best to ever wear a St Kilda jumper.

Lamb trained with us but was picked up by West Coast in the draft. He's been described as an enigmatic footballer. Goes missing in a match then does something amazing.

He is tall, (193 cm) athletic with every skill in the book. His downside, if you could call it that, is a small on field attitude problem. He loses match focus.

Reminds me of his Grandfather (a bit) in playing style. But I am an old bastard.

A periodic MIA attitude problem is not a big deal in my view. If he comes to us and we can get that sorted, he is a Blake Acres type IMO.

I am sure Grandad would be a very happy man to see the dynasty continue.

So would I.
All very interesting but No HH is not a 'genuine star'. 26yo and never had a top 5 B & F finish.

Sorry I dont care what anyone says. If you are 26 and havent been top 5 B and F in a mediocre side you are NOT a 'genuine star'. Under no objective definition is this guy a 'genuine star'. In 2016 he finished 17th in the club B & F in a s*** team. How the hell does that make him a 'genuine star'? Please explain?

I am happy to get him but I have some issues with what is being suggested. Firstly you have to give to get.

Second I would be fuming if we give up this years and next years first round picks for mature players.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 29 Sep 2016 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

and we still haven' got a decent backline?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:and we still haven' got a decent backline?
Get the impression the recruiters have a free agent in line.