Picks 23 and 36

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Picks 23 and 36

Jacks Back wrote:No short arses. The future is not smaller players. Think of the Bont ahead of the Bill, etc.
Though he Doggies also played a short-arse this year that went ok.

If you rate the player you pick them up. Though having said that I am very much hoping for two genuine mids.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Good enough=big enough. Think Gresham, Daniel, Harvey et al.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Good enough=big enough. Think Gresham, Daniel, Harvey et al.
Of course, but how many small players REALLY make it and how many are in a good team on match day? Surely we still need the new-age tall mids and tall defenders to come through should Goddard not be up to it (he was a bit slow when he played some games) while Brown is just a stop-gap.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
minneapolis wrote:
fugazi wrote:So its 23, 36, and 61 for our live picks

Probably an upgrade for Blake with late pick?
Sorry Fugazi. I don't understand this comment.
I assumed he meant one of the rookies to be upgraded, but not sure who he meant by "Blake". The word is Holmes.
Oops, yes Holmes not Blake....starting to lose it :oops:

Nee!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:No short arses. The future is not smaller players. Think of the Bont ahead of the Bill, etc.

Bulldogs have a heap of smaller players and they kill it - Libba, Hunter for example. We have some bigger bidies now would be happy to take a smaller mid if they have the speed and skill attributes we need.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Bulldogs have a heap of smaller players and they kill it - Libba, Hunter for example. We have some bigger bidies now would be happy to take a smaller mid if they have the speed and skill attributes we need.
Fair enough as long as the bidies aren't too old.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:

We o erlooked Daniel for Lonie. Time will tell re Lonie but Daniel is a little beauty.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

What's a bidie ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
loris
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

What's a bidie ?
I always thought the spelling was biddy! From my interpretation, years ago i think it meant an interfering, old gossipy, bitchy woman.

Tho I think there was Scottish interpretation. I can't recall the actual spelling, it may have been 'biddie'. Think the word came up in many of Robbie Burns' writing/poetry and referred to the olde difficult village woman....... that is only my interpretation of Robbie Burns use of the word, I could be wrong............. however this old biddie doesn't often err, as you know folks!!!!! :oops: :oops: Humble biddie am I not ??

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Daniel goes pretty good. Would have him in a heartbeat.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Good enough=big enough. Think Gresham, Daniel, Harvey et al.
Of course, but how many small players REALLY make it and how many are in a good team on match day? Surely we still need the new-age tall mids and tall defenders to come through should Goddard not be up to it (he was a bit slow when he played some games) while Brown is just a stop-gap.
Well, Harvey and Daniel are premiership players and Gresham will be. Daniel wasn't great in the GF, but he was very good in the others this series.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our club did exceptionally well at trading picks, when you consider we traded our first pick (10) and got back Hawthorns first round pick for next year, picks 23 and 36 in the second round, (23 is 4th pick in 2nd round and 36 is 14th pick in 2nd round) and we had no 2nd round pick at the start. And pick 61 is the 3rd pick in the 4th round. Our original 4th round was 68.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Caleb Daniel says hi

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Caleb Daniel says hi
How many of these short arses would you pick in a team to win the grand final? 1? Maybe 2? Anymore and you're hoping like crazy that every game is wet and the game is played along the ground. More of the Acres/Bont type players and less of the shorties thanks (if you have a choice).

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

What's a bidie ?
I always thought the spelling was biddy! From my interpretation, years ago i think it meant an interfering, old gossipy, bitchy woman.

Tho I think there was Scottish interpretation. I can't recall the actual spelling, it may have been 'biddie'. Think the word came up in many of Robbie Burns' writing/poetry and referred to the olde difficult village woman....... that is only my interpretation of Robbie Burns use of the word, I could be wrong............. however this old biddie doesn't often err, as you know folks!!!!! :oops: :oops: Humble biddie am I not ??
Impatient Sainter said "We have some bigger bidies" (obviously meaning bodies), I went with the term "Old bidie". The correct spelling is biddy but the plural is biddies (so not far away). A biddy is "A woman, especially an older one who is extremely talkative". I hope that helps.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think Fugazi got Sexton Blake and Sherlock Holmes mixed up.

SuperDuper
Club Player

oh dear.. one example followed by etc makes it official?

So why not this :

No tall dicks. The future is not taller players. Think of Lachie Neal going at 58 in the same draft as Hoskin-Elliot going at 4, etc.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
oh dear.. one example followed by etc makes it official?

So why not this :

No tall dicks. The future is not taller players. Think of Lachie Neal going at 58 in the same draft as Hoskin-Elliot going at 4, etc.
Alright, I give up. Everyone thinks the short players are obviously better than tall players ( Lachie Neal instead of Hoskin-Elliot) so let's just draft as many sub 180cm players as we can. That MUST be the future. I'm on board. Toot Toot!

lewdogs
Club Player

You draft the best player available I think, but becuase teams are averse to short players, it means that there is more likelihood of one of these players slipping through. Gresham is a good example of this I think - Daniel the most obvious example (pick 46 for a guy that was clearly the best player at the U18 championships; it's laughable really).

stkfc1
Club Player

lewdogs wrote:You draft the best player available I think, but becuase teams are averse to short players, it means that there is more likelihood of one of these players slipping through. Gresham is a good example of this I think - Daniel the most obvious example (pick 46 for a guy that was clearly the best player at the U18 championships; it's laughable really).
Spot on. Give me a 5'8 footballer over a 6'4 athlete anyday of the week. Pick the best skills the fitness comes later. Bit of speed would be good though!!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think Fugazi got Sexton Blake and Sherlock Holmes mixed up.
Possibly...I'm not sure what happened.
Knightmare from Bigfooty has pu his phantom draft out
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... ntom-draft

Nee!
shrodes
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I think Fugazi got Sexton Blake and Sherlock Holmes mixed up.
Possibly...I'm not sure what happened.
Knightmare from Bigfooty has pu his phantom draft out
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... ntom-draft
Don't know much about him but Cumming at 183cm and 72kg seems really undersized doesn't he?

His skills look alright though.

Powell-Pepper looks tough and can run through packs which would be handy. From video looks like his skills and decision making need a bit of work.

wally
Club Player

Interstate recruits worry me, this go home stuff is becoming more readily accepted.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Given that we already have Lonie, Gresham, Sinclair, Minchington, and Steven all 180cm or under and a host of other players under 184cm it makes sense for us to target bigger midfielders if possible. Tall, strong mids like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Kennedy, Heppell, Cripps, Bomtempelli, Pendlebury and Martin have a massive influence in modern footy and we've clearly been chasing players in that mould by going after Steele and Stevens.

With that said, if a 178cm player is fast, skilled and gets a heap of the footy then there's no reason not to draft him unless there's someone with the same skillset and a bigger body.

Rosco
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Those two aren't tiny though, 182/183 cm