We are Not alone- Financial reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: We are Not alone- Financial reports

citywest wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I don't know why people still care about this off-field stuff.

The AFL is structured in a way where the bucks go to the AFL, whom then distribute it to allow the 18 clubs to function. Cause without the 18 functioning, the AFL would not generate the bucks.

What does it matter if one club, or all 18 make losses?

As long as the head entity (the AFL) are bringing in millions each year, the system is working.

It's like looking at your household budget, and saying 'hmmmm, I lost $1000 in petrol last year' - without considering that that $1000 loss allowed you to get to work and make $100000.
Are you serious Johnny? This is not meant to be derogatory but you are being either delusional or very naïve. It is only a matter of time before the AFL start to actively want to get 'rid' of another Victorian team. It was not that long ago that they wanted North to go to the Gold Coast. Ten teams will never survive in Victoria. They have 2 teams in WA with waiting lists to join up as members. The same in SA and they eventually want a team in Tassie. Don't forget what happened to South Melbourne and Fitzroy. I don't believe anything will happen while Gil is in charge but when the next regime comes in my belief is that they will want 2 fewer teams in Victoria to be replaced by 1 in WA and 1 in SA. At this point in time St Kilda is the most vulnerable unfortunately. We really do need to win a premiership in the next 5 years and to also bed down NZ and play at the very least 2 home games per year.

That would just about be the most ridiculous post you have ever posted here.

citywest

saynta wrote:
citywest wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I don't know why people still care about this off-field stuff.

The AFL is structured in a way where the bucks go to the AFL, whom then distribute it to allow the 18 clubs to function. Cause without the 18 functioning, the AFL would not generate the bucks.

As long as the head entity (the AFL) are bringing in millions each year, the system is working.

It's like looking at your household budget, and saying 'hmmmm, I lost $1000 in petrol last year' - without considering that that $1000 loss allowed you to get to work and make $100000.
Are you serious Johnny? This is not meant to be derogatory but you are being either delusional or very naïve. It is only a matter of time before the AFL start to actively want to get 'rid' of another Victorian team. It was not that long ago that they wanted North to go to the Gold Coast. Ten teams will never survive in Victoria. They have 2 teams in WA with waiting lists to join up as members. The same in SA and they eventually want a team in Tassie. Don't forget what happened to South Melbourne and Fitzroy. I don't believe anything will happen while Gil is in charge but when the next regime comes in my belief is that they will want 2 fewer teams in Victoria to be replaced by 1 in WA and 1 in SA. At this point in time St Kilda is the most vulnerable unfortunately. We really do need to win a premiership in the next 5 years and to also bed down NZ and play at the very least 2 home games per year.

Why is that saynta?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: We are Not alone

Sainternist wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Do Martians have $$$$- can they sponsor us? or would they be regarded as ' off shore" resources...
Well, if they have the capabilities for intergalactic travel, it would suggest they are pretty well resourced. I'm guessing what they could offer would be far more valuable than just plain old cash money.
I think it is time God and his angels chipped in a bit of gold from his treasury so that we can stay ahead of those demons.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
citywest

citywest wrote:
saynta wrote:
citywest wrote:

Why is that saynta?
Hey Saynta, you made a statement, back it up!

citywest

Go on Saynta, tell me why the below statement is my most ridiculous ever????

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Looks like Saynta is not taking the bait, CW.

You might have to pack up your coloured crayons, start up your tinny and try trolling at the bottom end of the lake.

Saint supporter since '62
citywest

Trev from the Bush wrote:Looks like Saynta is not taking the bait, CW.

You might have to pack up your coloured crayons, start up your tinny and try trolling at the bottom end of the lake.
I'm not baiting Saynta at all Trev. I would like to know why he thinks my statement is my most ridiculous ever????

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Perhaps Saynta is still searching for a more ridiculous comment. That could be like reading Hillary Clinton's secret emails - it's going to take a lot of time!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I reckon that both Johnny and Westy make some valid points.

Yes, as Johnny pointed out, the AFL needs all the clubs. So Gestapo HQ will prop them up for the 'common good'... aka AFL TV broadcasting $$$.

(Eat your hearts our Royboys. If you coulda' hung on for just a couple more years... :cry: )

Btw, this propping up to maintain the 'common good', is very much what failed to happen in the UK and the USofA. Hence... Brexit, Turnip and collective wailing and gnashing of teeth. Clearly, for all its shortcomings, our AFL is at least smarter on this one than the relevant 'masters of the universe' in The City of London/the Square Mile and Wall Street.

Back to the footy. And our much loved Westy pointed out... If we are financially strong, then we don't have to bend over every time the AFL says so. Regularly Saintsationalists express their angst on this one (and I'm with 'em :evil: ). But our club simply is not in a position to tell the AFL where to go and what to do when they get there,c/f the oft mentioned behaviour of la Eddie Jabba the Hutt when unhappy.

(Has anyone else wondered if Eddie and Jabba were separated at birth???)
Image Image

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

True Dave. But I am sure everybody at the club is working there behinds off to improve our situation. Can't see any value in overstating the bleeding obvious.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Looks like Saynta is not taking the bait, CW.

I'm not baiting Saynta at all Trev. I would like to know why he thinks my statement is my most ridiculous ever????
In my experience CW, you yourself have not proved to be overly responsive/accomodating when people have questioned some of the viewpoints that you've posted. I myself have asked you many a question that you've simply ignored.

Perhaps Saynta has taken a leaf from your book.

Freebird
Club Player

Why is everyone feeding this hare-brain

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Have we ever been at this level
Bombers post $9.8 mill loss
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... um=Twitter

Means we are not top or is it bottom of the $$loss ladder
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 15 Nov 2016 10:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:Have we ever been at this level
Bombers post $9.8 mill loss
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... um=Twitter

Means we are not top or is it bottom of the $$loss lafder

That's one hell of a lot of 3 game memberships they are going to have to sell! :shock:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

72,000 members doesn't get you a profit?
POOR on-field performance and a resulting drop in crowds has hit Richmond in the hip pocket, with the Tigers reporting a financial loss for 2016.

After 11 straight years in the black and a $459,000 profit last year, Richmond will post a loss of $80,257.

Richmond had more than 72,000 paid-up members in 2016, a club record and the third-highest tally in the competition behind Hawthorn and Collingwood.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/b ... =hootsuite
Small crowds and paying out the remainder of Justin ​Leppitsch's contract contributed to Brisbane's $1.78 million loss this year.

It was a disastrous year for the Lions, who were only saved from the wooden spoon by a much-depleted Essendon team

any hints on what our figures are looking like?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-23/d ... utive-year
AFTER achieving its highest ladder position since 2006, Melbourne has had success off the field, finishing the financial year with a profit of $720,218.

It is the third consecutive year the Demons have posted a profit.

The club achieved the result while increasing spending on its football department by $635,000.

CEO Peter Jackson said the club's members helped drive the result.

"This is a pleasing result for the football club and our members were a key factor in the consolidation of our financial position," Jackson said.

"We saw membership grow to record levels, with 39,255 signing up for the 2016 season. This was complemented by our strong home game attendances, which saw over 330,000 people attend our home games – an increase of 72,000 compared to the previous season."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Isn't our AGM on 20 Dec?

Clearly we have made a loss and the VCAT mess also means we are trying to run and hide away from our results doing it all 5 days before Xmas.

Seasons Greetings lol

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

That comment is made every year - our AGM has been this time of the year for most of the years I have been involved

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints have posted financials
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-2 ... ial-result
St Kilda Football Club has delivered an operating profit of $150,589 for the 2016 financial year before grant funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest, and an overall accounting net profit of $1,107,311.

Included within the accounting net profit is Moorabbin Reserve grant funding and additional depreciation of the Seaford premises due to the expected relocation to Moorabbin.
Key highlights include:

#Record operating revenue of $34.5m, a $2.1m increase on 2015.
#Sponsorship and Events revenue up $0.65m from the continued expansion of our sponsorship portfolio.
#More than 7,500 new members joined the Saints during the year – the largest growth of all AFL clubs which resulted in a final membership tally of 38,101.
#The club recorded strong growth in match-day attendances in 2016 with over 685,000 people attending St Kilda games, a 16.2% increase on 2015.
#Revenue from match returns increased by $0.44m, due to strong attendances at home games and the shift of a home game to the MCG.
#The club continued to invest in its on-field program, investing $1.12m more in 2016 including a $0.67m increase in player related spending and a $0.45m increase in non-player spending.

St Kilda’s AGM will be held on Tuesday 20 December at the Kingston Town Hall from 7pm.
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Te ... Report.pdf Annual Report

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Saints have posted financials
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-11-2 ... ial-result
St Kilda Football Club has delivered an operating profit of $150,589 for the 2016 financial year before grant funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest, and an overall accounting net profit of $1,107,311.

Included within the accounting net profit is Moorabbin Reserve grant funding and additional depreciation of the Seaford premises due to the expected relocation to Moorabbin.
Key highlights include:

#Record operating revenue of $34.5m, a $2.1m increase on 2015.
#Sponsorship and Events revenue up $0.65m from the continued expansion of our sponsorship portfolio.
#More than 7,500 new members joined the Saints during the year – the largest growth of all AFL clubs which resulted in a final membership tally of 38,101.
#The club recorded strong growth in match-day attendances in 2016 with over 685,000 people attending St Kilda games, a 16.2% increase on 2015.
#Revenue from match returns increased by $0.44m, due to strong attendances at home games and the shift of a home game to the MCG.
#The club continued to invest in its on-field program, investing $1.12m more in 2016 including a $0.67m increase in player related spending and a $0.45m increase in non-player spending.

St Kilda’s AGM will be held on Tuesday 20 December at the Kingston Town Hall from 7pm.
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Te ... Report.pdf Annual Report
Great result

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

another club with better than average
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 297de2aba5
Profits under the Peter Gordon-led Bulldogs board are set to soar again next year thanks to a new stadium deal at the AFL-owned Etihad Stadium and the staging of a home game against Port Adelaide in Ballarat in August.

The club yesterday said a $1.9m impairment charge against the value of gaming entitlements acquired in 2009 at Edgewater had resulted in a statutory profit of $1.77m.

Total revenues climbed from $41.3m to $48.4m and net debt was slashed from $8.3m to $1.9m.
impressive debt slashing

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

carlton
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-07/b ... -last-year
spin
CARLTON has recorded a net deficit in excess of three quarters of a million dollars for the past year, by is still way ahead of its 2015 result.

Including depreciation and amortisation, the Blues recorded a net deficit of $765,000 for the year ending October 31, compared to the 2015 loss of $2.7 million.

Announcing the result at Wednesday night's members' forum, president Mark LoGiudice said the financial improvement was a sign of the club's growth.

"We have managed our costs very effectively and have a clear vision to continue to advance our revenue streams both in a traditional and non-traditional capacity," LoGiudice said.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... eb027773c0
THE AFL will scrap the controversial equalisation taxes that saw Collingwood and Hawthorn hand back more than $5 million in the past two years.

But the AFL’s richest clubs will continue to receive millions of dollars less than the poorest under the league’s new distribution scheme.

The league imposes three equalisation taxes — a revenue tax, a football department spending tax and a gate levy.

Hawthorn and Collingwood remained under the football department cap this year but were taxed the maximum $500,000 as part of the “wealth” levy.

Combined with the gate levy taxing clubs for spectators attending games, Hawthorn handed back $2.65m in 2015-16 and Collingwood $2.79m.

The football department spending tax has been a success and will remain next year.

But under an arrangement agreed by the AFL and the clubs, the other taxes will be replaced by a new distribution system.

Clubs have been briefed by the league on an arrangement that will see Hawthorn’s financial figures used as the minimum amount distributed to clubs.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
To the top
SS Life Member

I can recall many years ago when McAllister was putting that if St Kilda would support the termination of the Equalisation Fund, Collingwood would hand a then cash strapped St Kilda $100,000-.

I asked McAllister if he wanted a competition where Collingwood played Collingwood every week.

Not much has changed!