Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby BackFromUSA » Mon 11 Dec 2017 10:00pm

Foschini?
O'Brien?
Anyone?

Or is the small forward pocket a lock?
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby Beno88 » Tue 12 Dec 2017 8:03am

Schneider easily the next best after Milne.
Beno88
Club Player
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue 10 Jul 2007 11:14am
Location: Cheltenham

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby BackFromUSA » Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:24am

Craig O'Brien 52 games and 116 goals in the Plugger era would have a claim?

Either way it is Milne by a street!
AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2012"
User avatar
BackFromUSA
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:38am

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby prwilkinson » Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:38am

BackFromUSA wrote:Craig O'Brien 52 games and 116 goals in the Plugger era would have a claim?

Either way it is Milne by a street!


Windscreens was a pretty handy player.
User avatar
prwilkinson
Club Player
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue 21 Sep 2010 12:17pm

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby ace » Tue 12 Dec 2017 10:10am

A much undervalued role of the small forward is blocking so that the key marking forward can get a break on his opponent.
Milne did this so well for Fraser Gehrig.
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
User avatar
ace
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun 16 Dec 2007 3:28pm
Location: St Kilda

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby skeptic » Tue 12 Dec 2017 7:55pm

the question is: do you go Milne or rest an extra mid like Winmar or a freak like McAdam down there
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8709
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby samuraisaint » Tue 12 Dec 2017 9:22pm

The mighty Rod Owen!
Do you like Dixieland? I live for this music man.
User avatar
samuraisaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2661
Joined: Sun 25 Sep 2011 3:23pm
Location: Outside Uncle Vic's at 2 in the morning.

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby saint64 » Thu 14 Dec 2017 7:25pm

Gresh is already ahead of O'Brien
saint64
Club Player
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat 13 Mar 2004 12:18am
Location: Perth,WA

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby Trev from the Bush » Thu 14 Dec 2017 7:38pm

Prior to Milney, only Allan Davis was what you could call a consistently brilliant small forward. Although Flash Freddy (as a wit who wore a deerstalker and stood near us called him) was probably more brilliantly inconsistent!

You only get one Stephen Milne in a lifetime, just so glad I got to see he entire career in mine. Severely underrated and flippantly dismissed by members of the media who should know better.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby skeptic » Thu 14 Dec 2017 9:21pm

Trev from the Bush wrote:Prior to Milney, only Allan Davis was what you could call a consistently brilliant small forward. Although Flash Freddy (as a wit who wore a deerstalker and stood near us called him) was probably more brilliantly inconsistent!

You only get one Stephen Milne in a lifetime, just so glad I got to see he entire career in mine. Severely underrated and flippantly dismissed by members of the media who should know better.


I don’t know man, has there ever been a better example of a player guarding space to perfection then Andrew McQualter’s 2010... don’t want to bother with young punks like Armitage and Steven.
In the drawn GF, Andrew’s 5 second half tackles really made the difference... and I’m glad we expected nothing more from him. He had a good game
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8709
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby Trev from the Bush » Fri 15 Dec 2017 8:39am

Yeh, Minnie was seriously good in that period. Outstanding in most games and didn't get the recognition he deserved.

But one good season doesn't make a Milne.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby spert » Fri 15 Dec 2017 10:26am

Has some mighty games, but couldn't do it when it counted sadly
spert
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6791
Joined: Wed 29 Jun 2005 10:39pm
Location: A distant beach

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby perfectionist » Fri 15 Dec 2017 10:49am

spert wrote:Has some mighty games, but couldn't do it when it counted sadly

A bounce would have altered that description - he would have been the highest goalkicker in a winning GF (3) rather than equal highest in a draw (2).
User avatar
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7095
Joined: Mon 30 Jul 2007 3:06pm

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby Bernard Shakey » Fri 15 Dec 2017 1:47pm

skeptic wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Prior to Milney, only Allan Davis was what you could call a consistently brilliant small forward. Although Flash Freddy (as a wit who wore a deerstalker and stood near us called him) was probably more brilliantly inconsistent!

You only get one Stephen Milne in a lifetime, just so glad I got to see he entire career in mine. Severely underrated and flippantly dismissed by members of the media who should know better.


I don’t know man, has there ever been a better example of a player guarding space to perfection then Andrew McQualter’s 2010... don’t want to bother with young punks like Armitage and Steven.
In the drawn GF, Andrew’s 5 second half tackles really made the difference... and I’m glad we expected nothing more from him. He had a good game


Yeah and he basically cost us the '09 premiership!
He kicked 22 goals 7 behinds for the year. Three behinds in the Grand Final.
Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
User avatar
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 10788
Joined: Sun 18 Mar 2007 11:22pm
Location: Down By The River 1989, 2003, 2009 & 2013

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby Trev from the Bush » Fri 15 Dec 2017 2:45pm

Bernard Shakey wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Prior to Milney, only Allan Davis was what you could call a consistently brilliant small forward. Although Flash Freddy (as a wit who wore a deerstalker and stood near us called him) was probably more brilliantly inconsistent!

You only get one Stephen Milne in a lifetime, just so glad I got to see he entire career in mine. Severely underrated and flippantly dismissed by members of the media who should know better.


I don’t know man, has there ever been a better example of a player guarding space to perfection then Andrew McQualter’s 2010... don’t want to bother with young punks like Armitage and Steven.
In the drawn GF, Andrew’s 5 second half tackles really made the difference... and I’m glad we expected nothing more from him. He had a good game


Yeah and he basically cost us the '09 premiership!
He kicked 22 goals 7 behinds for the year. Three behinds in the Grand Final.


And there lies any comparison with S Milne. If 22 goals was his best, how far ahead of the rest was Milney? And Milney was a noted MIA come finals; opponents seem to pay more attention when you are playing for sheep stations in finals. In '09 I think Minnie kicked a goal in every game he played - until the Cats gave him the required attention and pressure.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: Milne and daylight over the past 50 years?

Postby Gershwin » Fri 15 Dec 2017 4:34pm

We didn't see a lot of Jimmy Krakouer in a St Kilda jumper but from what I saw he was a 'special' player.
summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue 06 Apr 2004 2:05pm
Location: NE Victoria


Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests