I will say it again...we must play the kids and rebuild

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

twirlyhair
Club Player

I will say it again...we must play the kids and rebuild

Have a look at todays Age...From 2005-07 we introduced 8 new players, the lowest in the comp. Brisbane on the other hand has introduced 26 new players and after winning three flags is now setting their sights on another one. If we don't introduce, mentor and play our draft picks, we will be going nowhere...picking up players such as C. Gardiner and Schnieder will not get us to where we want to go!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

isn't Schneider only 23?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:isn't Schneider only 23?
Yes, 23 and dropped by Sydney...he has a lot to prove and sfrom what I have seen of him so far I would rather see one of our draft picks get a chance...

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Yes and a very average footballer at best.

Red
Club Player

I agree we should have a spot in the side for an extra youngster and change

them over depending on the opposition. They will develop far quicker playing

AFL.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Red wrote:I agree we should have a spot in the side for an extra youngster and change

them over depending on the opposition. They will develop far quicker playing

AFL.
Totally agree...in factt have a look at todays Scorpians game...it will be wet, slow and heavy...definatly not good for our kids...on the other hand, play them at the telstra dome and watch them run and use their skills...

ThomasR
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:
Yes and a very average footballer at best.
Amen to that. I never thought he was really that much chop at Sydney apart from his kicking at goal when ball fell to him, but as far as general footy smarts and field kicking go, he's no better than most on our list.

As soon as he gets the axe as a rather ordinary player from Sydney and rocks up here he's somehow seen as our messiah. Very overrated by many on here and was terrible last night. Play him up the ground they say! Pfft. I'd rather Milney. And that's saying something.

kaos theory
Club Player

Have a look at todays Age...From 2005-07 we introduced 8 new players, the lowest in the comp. Brisbane on the other hand has introduced 26 new players and after winning three flags is now setting their sights on another one. If we don't introduce, mentor and play our draft picks, we will be going nowhere...picking up players such as C. Gardiner and Schnieder will not get us to where we want to go!
This is a result of the way we ran the footy department over the period of 04 to 07.

As I keep saying we need to do more in ALL areas of the footy department (recruiting, player development & player management). btw, c. gardiner we got for nothing.....though he is not really afl level. Schnider is ok and will get better...

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Overhaul time.

esaint66
SS Life Member

twirlyhair wrote:in factt have a look at todays Scorpians game...it will be wet, slow and heavy...definatly not good for our kids...on the other hand, play them at the telstra dome and watch them run and use their skills...

Yeah i was thinking that when they said in the intro that Ferguson might be a chance to slot into the foward line with rooey out and G not looking his best and then they seemed to jump off when he was dropping marks and i thought the conditions at the dome were the complete opposite so why not give him a go.

All the other saints playing for casey were ..

1. Hard at the ball
2. Thinking of the team before the individual
3. Loving the club enviroment.

We need to replicate that into our senior side and change up a couple of positons so the senior players dont think they are irriplacibale.

Give Macevy a go, put jonesy back in (was best on ground today).

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

24 last week

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we should be giving allen and mcevoy a go at the first opportunity.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 18 May 2008 12:02am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsrokk
Club Player

When with Sydney, Schneider was always staging for frees. He has nowhere near the goal kicking credntials of Milne.
I believe we would have picked up young Rioli with our first pick if we had not have picked up Schneider. As you can see I am not a fan of his.
________
AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL DICUSSION
Last edited by saintsrokk on Fri 18 Feb 2011 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

esaint66
SS Life Member

well i heard on the news that ross will have a 'youth coniction' from now on in. :D

groupie1
Club Player

does anyone like this for a line up that bloods some youth and gets the depthers out:

Geary Hudghton Gilbert
Goddard Kozi Fisher
Dal Santo Harvey Baker
X Clarke Reiwoldt Montagna
Milne Gehrig R Clarke

Gardiner Ball Hayes
King Armitage Birss Steven

EM: McEvoy, Allen, Eddy, Gwilt

Elevated: Eddy or Mini - I prefer Eddy

OUT DUE TO FORM: Gram, Schneider, C Gardiner
OUT LONG TERM: Goose, Attard
BASICALLY OUT FOREVER: L Fisher, Fiora, Blake, Rix, Dempster, Jones

King/Gardiner replaced with McEvoy, never Rix
Kozi back frees Fisher to provide run
Hudghton replaced with Gwilt when injured
Kozi stint in backline might get his marking & form going - he's not been any more out of form than G
R Clarke replace3d with Schnieder if he doesn't work out

Alternative Kangaroos-like forward line set up:

Geary Hudghton Fisher
Baker Kozi Birss Dal Santo (loose)
Gilbert Goddard Reiwoldt
Montagna R Clarke Ball
Milne Gehrig

Gardiner Harvey Hayes
King Armitage X Clarke Stevens

this makes the middle the half forward line:

ie attack begins with Fisher, Dal... to Roo in the middle - passes to Goddard with long peircing kicks to FF, or Gilbert with run through and then kick, during both of which R Clarke runs defensive side to take a big man away, small HFs run forward - leaving the football deep forward with G and Milne running torward the ball, and Monty, Ball running toward goal - we have one tall - G, surrounded by Joey, Milne, Ball

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I'd say G will retire this week so you need to work out another forward line.

JeffDunne

You don't start a rebuild half way through a coach's 2nd season and after two trade periods where you've topped up your list.

If we are to focus on getting playing time into players without an eye on results, we'll have a coach under enourmous pressure to keep his job coming into the last year of his contract, a list requiring probably a dozen new players, mediocre draft picks and star players looking to go elsewhere.

We'd have to better tankers than Carlton to get into decent pick territory from here.

Start tanking now and you can say hello to the West Sydney Saints.

groupie1
Club Player

OK, assuming G retires:

Geary Hudghton Fisher
X Clarke Kozi Birss Dal Santo (loose)
Gilbert Baker Reiwoldt
Montagna Goddard Armitage
Milne R Clarke

Gardiner Harvey Hayes
King Armitage Stevens Eddy

from center, Harvey, Hayes, Baker work it backward - to Dal/Fisher running forward of their man - intent to kick clean to Roo or Gilbert running wide, for a kick deep to the square and a one tall, three short forward line - two of which running with the flight, or to a short kick to Goddard at CHF.

this is a shorter side up forward, so rucks need to be able to go forward, bigger in the middle

it uses the geelong out of center back to milburn, mixed with a small North forward line structure

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
starsign
Club Player

At least for this week v Lions up there
With no Roo and G-Bye G-Train

Bakes Max Blake
Sam Kozi BJ
CJ Joey NDS
Harves Allen Birss
Milne Big Mac Scnieder (lucky)

M Gardner Armo Steven C Gardner

(X for C gardner if fit)

starsign
Club Player

oops forgot onballers

Bakes Max Blake
Sam Kozi BJ
CJ Joey NDS
Harves Allen Birss
Milne Big Mac Schnieder (lucky 1 more go))

King Hayes Ball

(X for C gardner if fit)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:oops forgot onballers

Bakes Max Blake
Sam Kozi BJ
CJ Joey NDS
Harves Allen Birss

King Hayes Ball

(X for C gardner if fit)
I dont think guys like Mcevoy who really doesnt play forward for Scorps and doesnt kick to many goals will magically kick them for the Saints. Kosi will have to play forward and I think McEvoy will have to wait his turn even though he was good yesterday. And Steven isnt ready yet. Needs more time.

rexy
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Bakes Max Blake
Sam Kozi BJ
CJ Joey NDS
Harves Allen Birss

King Hayes Ball

(X for C gardner if fit)
I dont think guys like Mcevoy who really doesnt play forward for Scorps and doesnt kick to many goals will magically kick them for the Saints. Kosi will have to play forward and I think McEvoy will have to wait his turn even though he was good yesterday. And Steven isnt ready yet. Needs more time.
McEvoy has kicked multiple goals on at least 2 occasions this year, The combination of King gardiner Kosi and Mac would give us 4 guys who can play in the ruck or forward. Will provide a better contest than G and a better target than multiple smalls. On Steven, what does isnt ready yet mean. When will Gram be ready to put his head over the ball, Dempster or Raph be ready to actually find the thing full stop or Gardiner C ready to dispose of it properly.

Maybe we should bring back Fiora at least he has proven he is not good enough over a long period of time. Play the kids.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Bakes Max Blake
Sam Kozi BJ
CJ Joey NDS
Harves Allen Birss

King Hayes Ball

(X for C gardner if fit)
McEvoy has kicked multiple goals on at least 2 occasions this year, The combination of King gardiner Kosi and Mac would give us 4 guys who can play in the ruck or forward. Will provide a better contest than G and a better target than multiple smalls. On Steven, what does isnt ready yet mean. When will Gram be ready to put his head over the ball, Dempster or Raph be ready to actually find the thing full stop or Gardiner C ready to dispose of it properly.

Maybe we should bring back Fiora at least he has proven he is not good enough over a long period of time. Play the kids.
Why would you play a guy (Steven) who doesnt deserve a game yet ahead of players who have performed better. You dont just play kids because they are young. You play guys who deserve a game on form otherwise they will lose all confidence. Also not sure Bisbane in Brisbane is the idealk time to blood 2 players.
As for having 4 talls that could go forward, King and MG cannot go forward and kick goals. They havent done for years they arent going to start doing it again at their age. McEvoy may have kicked a couple of goals on a couple of occassions but I dont his abilty at this age is to take a contested mark up forward or a mark on lead. Having said that he does show real promise. i have thought that the first time I saw him. If we are going to play young guys then Allen is a better option forward as he is a natural forward. And maybe Ferg can be given one more chance forward and if that doesnt work then it curtains for him.

starsign
Club Player

time to think ouside the square!

starsign
Club Player

Kosi will have to play forward and I think McEvoy will have to wait his turn even though he was good yesterday
Whats all this "have to" mate?
Maybe it just might be McEvoys "turn"
Even if the G doesn't hang up his boots This bloke needs more ruck development OK but he casts a big shaddow and can take a mark overhead (which is more than G does nowdays, and is a very good kick) he wont be any worse when it hits the turf either , besides we have Milne & Schnieds who can gather and feed off him

and why not try Kozi on Brown , who says he has to play forward, his Mum?

I remember one day at the Lake Oval v South Melbourne
We were 7 goals down at 3/4 time no real wind
Jeans swapped our young FF from Sandy a bloke named Bob Murray with the veteran Verdun Howell at FB, told VH to stand in the g-square

VH kicked 4 or 5 and we won! and a new star ws born at FB