Coach's message - featuring incredible insights

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Coach's message - featuring incredible insights

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 9:03am I saw all those problems in the first JLT game against Carlton and concluded that none of the issues that plagued us in 2017 had not been addressed. I knew then this was going to be a long winter.
+1.

The problems of this year first manifested in the ESS game last year (after the outlier Rich result) and then again late in the season against Melb.

Deplorable skills, no leg speed and an inability to stand up and resist when the tide (inevitably) changes in game.

Same issues existed in JLT1. WTF were they doing all Summer? Imagine if they hadn’t trained for 5 months to be that bad.

Utterly rudderless and devoid of confidence.

Go you red, black & white warriors
jaxons
Club Player

If you really want to cringe watch this:
http://m.afl.com.au/video/2018-08-10/fu ... tch-saints
I think there were 17 Strong’s.
And 5-6 Pleasing’s.
It’s farcical from the board and CEO that they allow him to front media like this without the appropriate media training.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:37am If you really want to cringe watch this:
http://m.afl.com.au/video/2018-08-10/fu ... tch-saints
I think there were 17 Strong’s.
And 5-6 Pleasing’s.
It’s farcical from the board and CEO that they allow him to front media like this without the appropriate media training.
I simply delete the phucking things when they drop into my inbox. HOPEFULLY we’ll only be getting another two of the damned things before we change coaches.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

HardSaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 4:53am yeah thats what gets me
forget about me and my years of sacrifice for this club - all a conscious choice
but to see a bunch of talented young hopefuls, through no conscious choice of their own
be failed by a club / an organisation they had the misfortune of being drafted / recruited to

really sticks in my craw
Absolutely.

All clubs have s*** years, and s*** periods. We had 10 years of very good results really, so I don't even begrudge being rubbish for a bit. It's part of the cycle.

But what is happening now, is that we're killing talented kids' careers. We've brought in heaps of top 20 picks, and NONE of them appear any good. However they ALL appeared really good when they arrived!

If we don't stop the rot, which is this archaic and nonsensical game plan and strategy, they'll end up duds and we'll be rubbish for a decade.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:52am
forget about me and my years of sacrifice for this club - all a conscious choice
but to see a bunch of talented young hopefuls, through no conscious choice of their own
be failed by a club / an organisation they had the misfortune of being drafted / recruited to

really sticks in my craw
Absolutely.

All clubs have s*** years, and s*** periods. We had 10 years of very good results really, so I don't even begrudge being rubbish for a bit. It's part of the cycle.

But what is happening now, is that we're killing talented kids' careers. We've brought in heaps of top 20 picks, and NONE of them appear any good. However they ALL appeared really good when they arrived!

If we don't stop the rot, which is this archaic and nonsensical game plan and strategy, they'll end up duds and we'll be rubbish for a decade.
Spot ON!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

We have no system.

No system coming out of defence.

No system going forward.

No system out of clearances.

No system at stoppages.

Putting on pressure, and playing on at any cost is not a system.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that they don't actually practice their game plan. And if they do, they never practice under duress.

No one knows what to do when they get the ball. And when we do get the ball, no one seems to know what the guy with the ball is going to do. It's chaotic.

There's no cohesion.

It looks as though they have a plan, but have never tested it under pressure. You know, when there's another team playing against you trying to stop you? For 3 years, we've beaten rubbish teams, and been flogged by the decent ones.

Yet we still look to the outlier games as proof that we're on the right track.

It's just mind boggling.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:59am We have no system.

No system coming out of defence.

No system going forward.

No system out of clearances.

No system at stoppages.

Putting on pressure, and playing on at any cost is not a system.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that they don't actually practice their game plan. And if they do, they never practice under duress.

No one knows what to do when they get the ball. And when we do get the ball, no one seems to know what the guy with the ball is going to do. It's chaotic.

There's no cohesion.

It looks as though they have a plan, but have never tested it under pressure. You know, when there's another team playing against you trying to stop you? For 3 years, we've beaten rubbish teams, and been flogged by the decent ones.

Yet we still look to the outlier games as proof that we're on the right track.

It's just mind boggling.
Never have I agreed so wholeheartedly with you Mr Fox, but I do ! All of what you say here is patently clear. We cannot test out our player ability unless they play a game plan that is developed for them and tested against strong opposition. Ross Lyon developed a team many thought was average with a unique game plan. This is what we need again - someone with a realistic strategy to develop the players.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

really sticks in my craw
To all the posters bemoaning that we don’t have any good players.......this. We have good players, we don’t have development, cohesive or leadership.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 12:40pm

really sticks in my craw
To all the posters bemoaning that we don’t have any good players.......this. We have good players, we don’t have development, cohesive or leadership.
Rudderless on the ground when things turn bad added to bad goal kicking which deflates the team.

The_President
Club Player

It’s crazy that we let the media dictate the narrative that we have no stars.

Ross just had back to back 40+ games - When Tom Mitchell does it he’s a super star. And I’d argue that Seb tries to break the lines more and is more damaging.

Billing’s is a star when he’s given the creative license to go wherever he wants and to set up the play. Sure he’s kicking for goal has been terrible and he clearly lacks confidence at times. But Jesus. A guy that’s ranked elite in disposals and goal assists would be getting raved about if he played for another team - Think Toby Greene

Gresham is a star in the making. A small forward in one of the worst teams in the comp is just outside the top 10 in the Coleman AND top 5 for goal assists. Plus he’s been pushing up through the middle more recently and increasing his disposal numbers. Last night when the commentators were going on about Orazio & Parish and co being potential All Stars I nearly spewed. I’m taking Gresh over them everyday.

Carlisle is an elite intercept marker & defender. The biggest issue with him is that when the opposition starts scoring heavily and the game looks done, he cracks the sass and gives up. When the game is in the balance, he is not only elite when it comes to chopping off the opposition attacks but is a great field kick and sets up the play extraordinarily well. If you think of him as Goddard in a bigger body but with the same temperament, you’ve got him just about nailed.

Sure, this season hasn’t gone to script at all. It doesn’t take a blind man to see that the players clearly dob’t Play for Richo... but it takes a naive man to say that there isn’t potential in the list.

Aside from those mentioned above

Jack Steele has really come on strong and is winning more of his own ball while often going to the oppositions best player and doing a good job on them

If Membrey kicked straight this year he would be talked about differently. Plays that Jack Gunston role, has incredible hands and bounce plus gets around the ground and makes contest after contest. If we drafted him and didn’t get him as a DFA I think people would be talking about him more.

Finally, I would really enjoy the opportunity to see Acres play a full game as a genuine mid. He has some brain fades and does some silly things BUT I think that comes down to a bit of confidence... which you would lose when you’re constantly getting dropped after playing decent games or being made to play as a forward pocket or second ruck. When it comes to getting the ball in traffic and finding time and space, he’s great to watch, he sort of just weaves through like it’s in slow-mo for him. Plus when he puts in under his arm and glides out he’s pretty quick. He breaks lines and changes angles. Would love to see him given the chance to just play his natural game... a little like Billings to be honest. We drafted these guys fairly highly but haven’t let them play on instinct. Some players need to have a license to just go out and play naturally, with flair and take chances and these two are those sort of players. I’d say Gresh and Long are in a similar category.

Listen, by all accounts Richo is a top bloke, but he can’t relate to the younger players (that’s direct from an ex player) I wish him well but I hope the club moves him on and appoints a younger coach (with an experience head alongside him) and they create a game plan that suits our strengths and the strengths of our best players. Get the ball, play on, take the game on and play with some flair and character.

We’ve got a whole bunch of HBF who can run and kick it a mile. Despite what some people think we’ve got some great mids who can win the ball in the contest and then we’ve got some genuine future stars up forward in Long & Gresham who would be near impossible to chase down if they’re running into an open 50 Adelaide Crows style.

All is not lost with this list. But they need to make some changes, starting with the coach and gameplan!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:59amPutting on pressure, and playing on at any cost is not a system.
I'm so sick of hearing Richo repeat his 'be bold and take the game on' mantra. We need to be smarter with the ball and sometimes that means slow playing a bit. Instead we have guys being bold and moving the ball into outnumbered situations, running into trouble and routinely turning the ball over. I don't have the turnover numbers at hand, but I'd be staggered if we weren't one of the worst turnover teams in the league.

As for the pressure, it's completely fallen away this year, hasn't it? We were number one for tackle differential last year, this year we're much more middle of the pack. Being cynical, I feel like they've eased off the press because they know how bad it will look if we get beaten out the back the way press teams do. Everything about our game seems to be designed to get beaten, sometimes by a lot, but never by 100 points.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
BenLong#21
Club Player

We are now the opposite of a 'destination' club.
We are now a 'departure' club.

We are the Syria of the AFL.

BenLong#21
Club Player

The coach says the same thing most weeks.

'This is as bad as we have used the ball`

So by his own words. We are getting worse.
Last edited by BenLong#21 on Sat 11 Aug 2018 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 1:17pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 11:59amPutting on pressure, and playing on at any cost is not a system.
I'm so sick of hearing Richo repeat his 'be bold and take the game on' mantra. We need to be smarter with the ball and sometimes that means slow playing a bit. Instead we have guys being bold and moving the ball into outnumbered situations, running into trouble and routinely turning the ball over. I don't have the turnover numbers at hand, but I'd be staggered if we weren't one of the worst turnover teams in the league.

As for the pressure, it's completely fallen away this year, hasn't it? We were number one for tackle differential last year, this year we're much more middle of the pack. Being cynical, I feel like they've eased off the press because they know how bad it will look if we get beaten out the back the way press teams do. Everything about our game seems to be designed to get beaten, sometimes by a lot, but never by 100 points.
Great post it’s obvious isn’t it?
“Be bold, take the game on” is not a game plan
Players look like they’re trying at all costs only to run themselves into trouble or come undone because our skill level simply doesn’t match the manic game style - looks awesome when u hit targets......when you have a bad patch and tu4n it over you are scored heavily against in 5-7 minutes of footy with no plan to stop the rot

“Yeah….nah””
BenLong#21
Club Player

Whatever Richo's assessment of any individual player is - the opposite is probably closer to the truth.
The bloke seriously is clueless.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

"We made really strong noise that we need to support that group"

What does that even mean?

"They got hold of us for big minutes"

As opposed to getting hold of us for little minutes?
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 11 Aug 2018 6:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 11 Aug 2018 6:03pm "We made really strong noise that we need to support that group"

What does that even mean?

"They got hold of us for big minutes"

As against getting hold of us for little minutes?
“Positively”......... Orwellian! BUT it only becomes creepy ( REALLY creepy) when WE start swallowing it!