One week at a time....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ShakenNotStirred
Club Player

One week at a time....

Did anyone catch last night's one week at a time when they spoke up which clubs were the most media friendly.

Quaterbrain came straight out and said we were the worst by far. Not sure if anyone else heard that. They, Darcy and Quaterbrain said Collingwood were the best and most welcoming.

Thoughts? Again not sure if this topic has been raised or not.

Maybe next year Pelchen and co could do something in that area to raise our persona towards the media but given what we have had to endure over the past couple of years I can understand our unwillingness to be media friendly.

Sing it loud and sing it proud but most of all hang around for this club will rise to claim the prize and then we will realise its not such a surprise. :-)
PaytonPlace
Club Player

I wrote in another thread I don't think anyone gains anything from being "media friendly"

They need us a lot more than we need them

I would also presume: Miccing up the coaches box, making a documentary, having Roo and Joey on Channel 7, Nicky Dal on the Footy Show, Milney sitting down for an interview on The Footy Show etc etc doesn't count strictly as being difficult to deal with

Having cost us sponsorships and reputation though with a summer of mis-information and lies, to turn around and say "Oh well, smile and deal with us!" is extraordinary. A media friendly club should be low on the list of priorities I reckon...

A club in Australia will one day turn around and withdraw co-operation with a newspaper for one of these "exclusive" footy news stories. Just you watch. Then they'll go mental...Image
Last edited by PaytonPlace on Tue 20 Sep 2011 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I thought I heard incorrectly. As you said, we've been everywhere this year.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ThePunter
Club Player

They write tripe and complain when we get angry.

The doco was made by the AFL, so they were probably upset they were kept out of it, although it did screen on Channel 9.

Also, leading Channel 10 footy talking guys Walls and Lane are less than complimentary, and have been for some time.

Then there is Hutchy and his tantrum on Thursday. He's the only guy on TV who uses the language he uses - nothing is just news, it's always "an incredible evening" ... "a stunning turn of events" ... or best "amateur hour" for St Kilda appointing Harvey to calm the waters for a few weeks.

More and more people are going on the web and reading match previews written by non-professionals. I write blogs on Big Footy (not match previews, not my forte) and people on there are saying they go into the club forums to see in depth analysis which is reasonably accurate and not all that biased.

Even a die hard Saint like Martin Blake wrote a typically pessimistic article on the weekend about the club.

The media's righteous tone reeks of self-importance and entitlement.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If they are all consistant about how we arent good in the media it must be the media's fault. You know it makes sense.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If they are all consistant about how we arent good in the media it must be the media's fault. You know it makes sense.
I reckon you consistently miss the point on this issue Plug.

We may be awful with the media.

But the thing is the reasons WHY are never acknowledged.

Our treatment earlier this year was laughably abhorrent. I am not surprised in the slightest we close ranks.

Anyone heard anything resembling a public retraction or an apology from relevant media persons re the schoolgirl saga yet??

Just sayin'...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ThePunter
Club Player

I'm reminded of Jim Carrey in Liar Liar:

"What if Tina had said 'Hit me again Ike, and this time put some STANK on it!'"

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If they are all consistant about how we arent good in the media it must be the media's fault. You know it makes sense.

Our treatment earlier this year was laughably abhorrent. I am not surprised in the slightest we close ranks.

Anyone heard anything resembling a public retraction or an apology from relevant media persons re the schoolgirl saga yet??

Just sayin'...
That would be fine if it only happened this year but it has been going on for years. The club actually tried to make some effort about 2 years ago because we had this reputation of being very poor with the media. I get the point exactly. We have been poor for a few years now not just this year.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Just sayin'...
That would be fine if it only happened this year but it has been going on for years. The club actually tried to make some effort about 2 years ago because we had this reputation of being very poor with the media. I get the point exactly. We have been poor for a few years now not just this year.
I should apologize in advance if I bang on a lot about these things, because media studies and media is (a) my profession and (b) my main non sporting related interest...

What areas are we poor in: I think personally the players have a pretty visible media presence, and we had fat Robbo in the coaches box for an article. We made a documentary about the club, Roo did a press conference after the scandal...is it because we didn't shove Gilbert and Nicky Dal out there as well? Is it because we shut the place down in Grand Final week?

Seriously, if we had won it'd have been a masterstroke of professionalism and Collingwood would have been killed for getting cocky don't you think?

Is it the PR people and press department that are rude? The players themselves? I don't understand it, because as far as I can see the players are involved in the media....

Becca

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Of course the 'Bubble' prob didn't help, but equally it was a method by which the club saw as necessary to climb a few rungs. That should be respected, not griped about. The club is perfectly entitled to a stance. If you don't get the 'access' you need to fill out space between ad breaks or chuck steak bargains, go elsewhere. Collingwood will give you quotes. Rely on them. Don't try to bully your way in by publicly sooking about not having opportunities to print vanillan nonsense. It's really grossly pathetic behaviour.

And I'm with you Becca. I'm not sure what it is people actually want beyond what they get.

Life ain't a red carpet ride. Deal with it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I carn't understand how they can say were not media friendly, we seem to be just behind collingwood when it comes to media reporting, and there always seems to multiple players and officials doing interviews each week.
I think the problem comes from a conflict of interest that so many in the media have . I think that if you work for a club or as an agent for clubs you should not be able to work for the media.
E.G. liam pickering , i think he's a good media commentator until asked about one of the players he manages, then he just plays dumb .
this goes on right across the footy world which leads to so much half truths and speculation , you never know who to believe . the media are becoming more tabloid every day , caring less about who they s*** on to get a story , as long as they get a story.

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Of course the 'Bubble' prob didn't help, but equally it was a method by which the club saw as necessary to climb a few rungs. That should be respected, not griped about. The club is perfectly entitled to a stance. If you don't get the 'access' you need to fill out space between ad breaks or chuck steak bargains, go elsewhere. Collingwood will give you quotes. Rely on them. Don't try to bully your way in by publicly sooking about not having opportunities to print vanillan nonsense. It's really grossly pathetic behaviour.

And I'm with you Becca. I'm not sure what it is people actually want beyond what they get.

Life ain't a red carpet ride. Deal with it.
It's just a really strange thing to say I reckon that just gets repeated endlessly. If we aren't good with the media, it's almost incumbent you state why. Who isn't or wasn't? Ross Lyon? I must have missed all those gregarious laugh a minute easy to get answers from Mick Malthouse press conferences that make dealing with Collingwood such a joy...

I would think if we control what we give out, that may be the issue, but controlling the message doesn't mean we are a closed shop at all. I would have thought between "The Bubble", "The Challenge", Robbo getting access all areas, you got a great insight into the way the club worked. If that's not what people want, and they want, to quote Robbo on 360, "to know what players are thinking", well, in our case over the summer, that would trend into outright gossip. Nick Riewoldt sits on the Gameday panel. Live to air. Want to know what he's thinking? Ask him face to face. That's pretty media friendly...and anyway, say anything interesting and you get killed all week a la Ryan Griffen a few years ago.

Just seems without examples to be one of these lazy media opinions akin to when a team loses badly in Round 1 and suddenly can't win the flag. Love to know what the issue is, without it, I'm totally lost what more we can do.
Last edited by PaytonPlace on Tue 20 Sep 2011 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The reason we are not liked by the media has now crossed the Nullabor. There will be big changes in the very near future, now that we are not part of the Lyin fiefdom.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
PaytonPlace
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:The reason we are not liked by the media has now crossed the Nullabor. There will be big changes in the very near future, now that we are not part of the Lyin fiefdom.
Although conversely I'm sure Paul Roos and Robert Walls will be far more critical....

Funny how that'll work!

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Marginally more insight here, but only marginally
Holmesby: They need to present a more open image than they have in the past. They need sponsors on board and it's a fact that quite a large proportion of the media can't be bothered going to the weekly Seaford mid-week press conference unless a big story is brewing. That's not the only factor but it is one they will keep in mind.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Again - the assumption that open media = sponsors? Not computing...

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think the problem is the perception of control, Becca. The saints media managers over the past few years, and there have been several of them, interestingly, have displayed all the charm of a suburban caravan park and the paranoia of the STASI, when dealing with the media.

Sure our guys such as Joey, Dal, BJ and rooey are in the media, but they never utter anything other than the predictable cliches most players do. That's not their fault, because they are only footballers and not PR experts, but the experience of several journalist colleagues I've spoken to is that the saints are just plain difficult to deal with.

Like it or not, they can hurt us more than we can hurt them and you only have to look at people like Caroline Wilson and Craig Hutchison to know they think nothing of abusing their positions to settle a score. BTW, love your posts. Keep up the good work! Could we have some more footage of Robert Walls riding that bike in his striped suit? Classic!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Q5
Club Player

'Media' encompasses a whole range of things.

I think these days Gen Y players turn to Twitter and despite being Gen X, I quite enjoy the banter that goes on between players, whether team mates or from other clubs. I think the perception of media is that it is old school 'journos' (not all, I will admit!) who have issues and 'poo poo' modern forms of getting a message out there. Then again, there are those who plagiarise what's on Twitter anyway - too lazy to come up with their own stories!

I feel that as a supporter, the club has been much more 'accessible' this year - particularly with 'social media' & the videos they put on Saints TV. Gives an insight into players personalities & the 'routine' of their daily lives & I've found it quite refreshing to see them as people, not heroes, idols, or cogs in a machine.

Journalists love gossip, scandal & innuendo. If they cannot find it, they create it by criticising the 'establishment' or concocting & publicising their own opinions as to why certain incidents occur. Just don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quite frankly, I'm over it & don't give a stuff what they think anymore!

PaytonPlace
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I think the problem is the perception of control, Becca. The saints media managers over the past few years, and there have been several of them, interestingly, have displayed all the charm of a suburban caravan park and the paranoia of the STASI, when dealing with the media.

Sure our guys such as Joey, Dal, BJ and rooey are in the media, but they never utter anything other than the predictable cliches most players do. That's not their fault, because they are only footballers and not PR experts, but the experience of several journalist colleagues I've spoken to is that the saints are just plain difficult to deal with.

Like it or not, they can hurt us more than we can hurt them and you only have to look at people like Caroline Wilson and Craig Hutchison to know they think nothing of abusing their positions to settle a score. BTW, love your posts. Keep up the good work! Could we have some more footage of Robert Walls riding that bike in his striped suit? Classic!
I still can't split the dichotomy though between good football media and bad football media - that they genuinely believe an expansive, engaged player group interacting with the media and sharing their stories in anyway counteracts their propensity to overinflate stories and destroy careers. I still absolutely refuse to believe if - say - Sam Gilbert sat down for a two page "my year from hell" interview with Mike Sheahan it counterbalances a summer held hostage to a crazy person. It will sell their papers, but do nothing for us. There's too many destructive journalists out there that have been in the game too long and have lost their passion to write. Their longevity is breeding bitterness...they don't love the game...

What every club is sadly hostage to is "the scandal" - their utopian media paradise at Collingwood is all well and good, but you can bet if the crazy person puts up a nude Dayne Beams picture...

Expansive, interesting media performers were drummed out of the game in the mid 90s by the look of things. If our PR people a nightmare to deal with, that's a maturity issue for our club to deal with. Our crisis management is and was poor, I think we can all acknowledge that. But Holmesby, Quartermain and Niall miss the point. Sponsors respond to pampering, to feeling important, to sending Roo to a function, to a coach remembering their name. They are lost by media scandal and nonsense. A professional robust business will cope with their requests, but I refuse point blank to believe the Herald Sun "grows the game"...whatever we do these days, I honestly believe, is entirely for them...

Our expressions of personality the we enjoy come from Twitter and Lunch with Lenny (and my beloved Milney interacting with the school kids) - that to me is an area waiting to be explored even further. The AFL websites are pretty god awful. Maybe we can burst the bubble even further through those areas? Lunch With Lenny was a great start...

Incidentally, thanks for the kind words! I do what I can! And yes, I always have access to monkeys on pushbikes. How about another one! OK, same monkey, different music....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nGEEyrnK0

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Q5 wrote:'Media' encompasses a whole range of things.

I think these days Gen Y players turn to Twitter and despite being Gen X, I quite enjoy the banter that goes on between players, whether team mates or from other clubs. I think the perception of media is that it is old school 'journos' (not all, I will admit!) who have issues and 'poo poo' modern forms of getting a message out there. Then again, there are those who plagiarise what's on Twitter anyway - too lazy to come up with their own stories!

I feel that as a supporter, the club has been much more 'accessible' this year - particularly with 'social media' & the videos they put on Saints TV. Gives an insight into players personalities & the 'routine' of their daily lives & I've found it quite refreshing to see them as people, not heroes, idols, or cogs in a machine.

Journalists love gossip, scandal & innuendo. If they cannot find it, they create it by criticising the 'establishment' or concocting & publicising their own opinions as to why certain incidents occur. Just don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Quite frankly, I'm over it & don't give a stuff what they think anymore!
That was what really stood out for me with the Ross Lyon depature. How much of it played out on Twitter and Facebook and live television. Both sides got their sides of the story out via press conference, and we moved on with life...

The Herald Sun was left to cut and paste angry supporter Tweets and Sam Fishers "Sheesh" and a column from Mike Sheahan which contained no wit or insight. The Age simply served up a Robert Walls article...well my signature tells you what I think about that...

"Old media" felt largely irrelevant to the whole saga. Thought it was a really interesting exercise...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of what approach we take from here on, or how the media choose to treat us in this post Lyon era, the players could help by not taking photos of their knobs - and certainly not storing them if they do.

C'mon boys; you get to see em everyday. That should suffice!