Get physical, Ben!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Get physical, Ben!

I think I've worked out Ben's problem. He has a complete lack of physical " presence". Neither in the ruck contests, nor around the stoppages, he simply doesn't impose himself. Sure, he gets some hit outs, but rarely,if ever, does he create space for his runners, or take out the opposition. When you compare him to Minson, Mumford and Goldstein, you'll see what I mean. For a guy of his size and ability, he rarely throws doubt into the opposition's minds. Come on Ben. Get physical!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
evo
Club Player

Re: Get physical, Ben!

You can't criticize p66's love child. There must be an excuse!!!

Sainterman
Club Player

Been awful tonight.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:You can't criticize p66's love child. There must be an excuse!!!
Last week it was gastro, apparently. This week? I've been watching him closely this year. He's the sort of ruck man you'd love to play against. Dare I say it, but for a big bloke, Ben plays "bruise free" footy.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

being crook with gastro i mean that wouldnt screw your body around for a week or to
especially not blokes that are fitter than more than 80% of the county

with stanley out
we dont have much choice do we

blake rucking down back at times and lee up forward and in the square at the bounce

guess we could maybe chuck roo in there?????

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Can't jump. Can't run. Flogged in the ruck by Hale tonight who can barely get off the ground himself. Missed his only get table mark in the forward line. Absolute dinosaur.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Been a pretty disappointing year really…

Considering he is meant to be improving… he is averaging less disposals, marks, hitouts, tackles, scores… than he was in 2011 & 2012.

He's still young so could very well improve a lot, but right now he has stagnated IMO.

Can't be captain next year, just not a good enough player yet.

Frankie
Club Player

Starting to agree with this. Watching Hale tonight shows that you don't have to be super mobile and quick to have an impact on the game. It's all about physicality and second efforts. Case in point after the ball goes to ground hale is fishing out a handball while Ben is standing away to one side not doing anything. Even looking back to when we had King running around, he wasn't the best jumper and could barely run, but he tackled bloody hard and was always putting blocks on. Half the battle with being big is that you have to realise it and use it to advantage!

luc1966
Club Player

Needs a rest pity Stanley out would love to see a Stanley Blake combo

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Preferred Lee in the ruck tonight. Completely outsized but provides more than one effort and then gets back into the forward line quickly. Hang on Ben has just shepherded!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

It's as if he's in slow motion. He moves about as quick as a statue.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I got the impression his heart wasnt in it tonight. Maybe the trade talk has reached him and he is being affected.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

No one can be serious if your think big boy is the future of our ruck stocks! Dinosaurs like him went out of fashion a long time ago.

The future is the tall mobile ruckman who can jump and also do stuff around the ground (a la Nic Nat).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
savatage
SS Life Member

Trade bait and yes I know that will upset most.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

The club won't trade Ben for no 1 pick but GWS want him and Tom Boyd is as good a forward as there has been at under 18 level. Just do it.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

savatage wrote:Trade bait and yes I know that will upset most.
We wish! There is no market for dinosaurs.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy O'Dea wrote:The club won't trade Ben for no 1 pick but GWS want him and Tom Boyd is as good a forward as there has been at under 18 level. Just do it.

Leaving aside whether we should or shouldn't trade him, how the hell do you know that GWS want him?

And more to the point, how do you know that GWS are prepared to offer the Saints the #1 Draft Pick to get the deal done?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What a strange post. Dont even really know the guy. Think he will be a good footballer. Sorry. Better to say he is a hack.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

What a strange post. Dont even really know the guy. Think he will be a good footballer. Sorry. Better to say he is a hack.
Not a hack. Can really play but may lack the physical attributes to be an elite ruckman at AFL level.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:I think I've worked out Ben's problem. He has a complete lack of physical " presence". Neither in the ruck contests, nor around the stoppages, he simply doesn't impose himself. Sure, he gets some hit outs, but rarely,if ever, does he create space for his runners, or take out the opposition. When you compare him to Minson, Mumford and Goldstein, you'll see what I mean. For a guy of his size and ability, he rarely throws doubt into the opposition's minds. Come on Ben. Get physical!
Looks like tarzan and plays like a really child-like version of Jane.

This is nothing new and it looks like we are stuck with a watered-down version of Stephen King.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

He's a young ruckman getting battered around all year (had a bleeding nose tonight) in a losing team. People should cut him some slack. Been battling a sore foot. Needs a another couple of years to really come into his own. As he grows in confidence I'm sure he can get a bit more mongrel in him and start to physically dominate a bit more.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:He's a young ruckman getting battered around all year (had a bleeding nose tonight) in a losing team. People should cut him some slack. Been battling a sore foot. Needs a another couple of years to really come into his own. As he grows in confidence I'm sure he can get a bit more mongrel in him and start to physically dominate a bit more.
No. It's not about banging and crashing anymore, that's mostly outlawed - at least prior to the first touch in he ruck contest. He's just far too slow to get anywhere near it. Heinous exactly where to go, instinctively good player, he just can't get there and he never will because he is slower than Minson, Hudson, Brogan, Sandilands. He is the slowest player in the comp.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Ben!

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Jimmy O'Dea wrote:The club won't trade Ben for no 1 pick but GWS want him and Tom Boyd is as good a forward as there has been at under 18 level. Just do it.

Leaving aside whether we should or shouldn't trade him, how the hell do you know that GWS want him?

And more to the point, how do you know that GWS are prepared to offer the Saints the #1 Draft Pick to get the deal done?
He doesn't know if GWS want him, or have made any offer at all.

Remember on here, almost any player who isn't dominating every week - is Trade Bait. So they can draft a kid who May be good in 3-5 years.
And tip out your number 1 ruckman, and a player who is in the right age group the Saints need. IMO any club would want him.

Let's see who else played poorly and start a thread on them.

Hold your ground :shock:
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Remember on here, almost any player who isn't dominating every week - is Trade Bait. So they can draft a kid who May be good in 3-5 years.
And tip out your number 1 ruckman, and a player who is in the right age group the Saints need. IMO any club would want him.

Unfortunately its not only this game. He has had a very poor season and has not improved since 2011.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Unfortunately its not only this game. He has had a very poor season and has not improved since 2011.

Yes he hasnt had the hit outs of Warnock who cant get game.