Pick 3- who will we take?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Pick 3- who will we take?

Assuming that we still have pick three when they start reading out the names. Who will the Saints take? Who shoud we take? Aish makes sense because he is a true midfielder who has very good decision making skills, good disposal but didn't take too kindly to being tagged in the SANFL Grand Final. He is also AFL reeady. There is a lot to like about Kelly. Has a big tank, good decision making but seems more of a work in progress to me. He needs to spend time in the gym building up his light frame. Billings is a great kick and mark. Personally the guy I like is Bontempelli. He is a tall midfielder who can play forward. He has a big, accurate left foot kick. Ticks all the boxes in my view. Thoughts????

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 3- who will we take?

damienc wrote:Assuming that we still have pick three when they start reading out the names. Who will the Saints take? Who shoud we take? Aish makes sense because he is a true midfielder who has very good decision making skills, good disposal but didn't take too kindly to being tagged in the SANFL Grand Final. He is also AFL reeady. There is a lot to like about Kelly. Has a big tank, good decision making but seems more of a work in progress to me. He needs to spend time in the gym building up his light frame. Billings is a great kick and mark. Personally the guy I like is Bontempelli. He is a tall midfielder who can play forward. He has a big, accurate left foot kick. Ticks all the boxes in my view. Thoughts????

Bontempelli or COD (Cousin of Dal) is a hard one because he is still possibly growing and at 194 he is almost too tall for a running midfield role. His desirability will drop accordingly. I like him too but he is a risk.

I like Schaz and Billing as their talent looks elite while the highly rated mids look too one- dimensional to me. I might be looking red faced when one becomes the next Judd but Kelly and Aish look a bit light and ordinary to me.

I prefer to think those guys in the 18 to 22 picks are looking more exciting midfield prospects- some could be real bargains.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Jaxons says that it will definitely be one of Kelly or Billings…

I would have thought Aish… purely guessing.

Think GWS will go for Kelly at 2.

Scoop
Club Player

Agree with you on Bontempelli, however, I think he will go a little later.....Pies or Melb best placed :(

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
damienc wrote:Assuming that we still have pick three when they start reading out the names. Who will the Saints take? Who shoud we take? Aish makes sense because he is a true midfielder who has very good decision making skills, good disposal but didn't take too kindly to being tagged in the SANFL Grand Final. He is also AFL reeady. There is a lot to like about Kelly. Has a big tank, good decision making but seems more of a work in progress to me. He needs to spend time in the gym building up his light frame. Billings is a great kick and mark. Personally the guy I like is Bontempelli. He is a tall midfielder who can play forward. He has a big, accurate left foot kick. Ticks all the boxes in my view. Thoughts????

Bontempelli or COD (Cousin of Dal) is a hard one because he is still possibly growing and at 194 he is almost too tall for a running midfield role. His desirability will drop accordingly. I like him too but he is a risk.

I like Schaz and Billing as their talent looks elite while the highly rated mids look too one- dimensional to me. I might be looking red faced when one becomes the next Judd but Kelly and Aish look a bit light and ordinary to me.

I prefer to think those guys in the 18 to 22 picks are looking more exciting midfield prospects- some could be real bargains.

I dont get the to tall for a mid at all. if he is a midfielder and has all the skills of a midfielder I have no idea how you can be to tall for a mid. Im not saying get him. Know nothing about him but his body shape is perfect for our side. The 2 you keep mentioning arent really mids at all and to be honest we need a HBF like we need a hole in the head. i reckon you could say the same about needing a forward who only occasionally plays midfield.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Pick 3. Jack Billings

Pick 18. Zac Jones

Pick 24. Zach Merrett

No inside info, just a wild stab at it.

Rutts

Kelly is a lock for #3

When in doubt ask yourself...what would Robert Harvey do?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Bontempelli or COD (Cousin of Dal)
How bout cods?

Has a good footy vibe… like scrote, rooter & knackers

Siposstar#2
Club Player

I have no real idea about it. But my gut feel was originally Aish but now I feel that bontompelli is going to be a absolute jet. These tall midfielders are the way of the future. Emma quale thinks gws could take him with 2
So maybe my gut feel is right.
I also like the sound of billings. To be honest whoever we get I'm sure will be my favourite :D

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Billings - No doubt

My choice
Kelly/Scharenburg on Availability

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Billings - No doubt

My choice

Who first?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Billings - No doubt

My choice
Whats your problem with Billings??

Asked in another thread after you sarcastically bet 100 on him but you neglected to give an answer

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
noob
Club Player

What are the weaknesses between Kelly and Billings?

busso mick
Club Player

Kelly for me, he is very slight but has elite endurance and I think has the most upside. With the number of interchanges to be reduced over time, stamina will be a key factor in a midfielder.

His Dad Phil was a very smooth mover also with 2 Sandover medals for East Perth.

spot on
Club Player

looking at some of the videos on afl.com , I would think josh Kelly or billings for pick 3. Kelly looks like the safer bet but really like billings, reminds me of chad wingard. aish was under wheming for me. at picks 17-18 I think blake acres looks the goods, reminds me of nat fyfe as a taller marking midfielder.

sax
Club Player

I think Billings after looking at him on here. Kelly looks good too, but check out Hartung, I hope he's still there at 18!

http://www.afl.com.au/2013-draft/draftees/midfielders/

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Billings
Aish
Kelly

In that order

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:Bontempelli or COD (Cousin of Dal)
How bout cods?

Has a good footy vibe… like scrote, rooter & knackers

I wanted Cods but couldn't work it into an acronism but that was a bit retarded as his name is Dal Santo? Sometimes I wonder about my brains inability to register simple concepts.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hartung is a Jet

The kids who play alongside him, just think he is a Freak.

Why wasn't Billings a starting midfielder? He's a HFF.... Chad Wnguard was a pure Mid... Who plays fwd ATM in the AFL

Most kids who end up playing Key Defender in the AFL... Play as a Key Foward or Ruck as a Junior
Most kids who end up as a small Fwd played a lot as a mid as a Junior.....

I'm sure Billings is talented... But top picks in a draft are used for Jet Midfielders or Key Fwds IMO

spot on
Club Player

yeah do like the look of hartung, takes on the game and has a good turn of speed. I cant get sharaberg video to work to check him out thou

falka
Club Player

Billings plays forward as he has those weapons too. Will be a mid who you know can rest forward and be a threat. That to me is the future, not just a mid

sax
Club Player

Pick 3 - Billings/Kelly
Pick 18 - Hartung
Pick 19/24 - Dumont

Would love to see this. Billings/Kelly just add class, Hartung takes the game on & has a beautiful kick, Dumont is hard at it, loves the contest & I think he's an absolute beauty after watching him in the SANFL GF!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Watts the Buzz
Club Player

If it was up to me, I'd make the unpopular choice of going with Bontempelli - a really quick tall midfielder, excellent mark, booming kick, mature body and has the X factor - just looking at footage of him, he has that touch of class and there's no doubt that it's genetic - could be at least as good as DAL in my opinion.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why doesn't he play as a mid and rest fwd now?

Take most top class pure mids could sit fwd and be damaging.....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

So Billings is a forward and not a mid?

If that is the case why is he even being discussed?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)