McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

What time on Thursday is the meltdown?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

"While Petracca is a very exciting forward/midfielder I think McCartin’s claims on being the top selection have been undersold as he’s a quality key forward and they don’t grow on trees".

This AR line suggests McCartin is our preferred pick. Does anyone else sense that?

A sentence structure with while A is exciting, B is quality and doesn't grow on trees suggests that to me, anyway.

It's fun trying to divine what's going to happen - I'll be happy with whoever we pick at the end, as long as it's Petracca. :D

Sobraz
SS Life Member

McCartin reminds me a lot of Shane Mumford in his body shape and the way he moves, obviously just shorted and plays a different position.

But seems that natural, big bodied footballer who has a lot of talent, but may struggle with the demand and intensity the game is based on these days.

I'd be disappointed if we don't go Petracca, I'm sure Paddy has star potential, but he'll be a lot of work and a while to get there.

It'll test our patience like never before..

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

There'll be another McCartin in next year's draft we can take at number 1 anyway!

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
skeptic wrote: In the media, the Saint's stance is that they've committed to one but haven't named them publicly yet

My bet is that the AFL prefer we keep the suspense
Listened to all the interviews again, looking for some clues that we were taking Paddy. Nothing.

Even tried playing them backwards. Still nothing!

Having said that, apparently "Paul is dead" whoever he is Image
Apparently Paddy's family were McCartneys a few years ago. They changed it to McCartin immediately on discovering they had genetic links to Jesse McCartney and not Paul.

:wink: :mrgreen:

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Looks like McCartin gets the nod - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/s ... ghest-call.

I think AR is just trying to sell him as our 10 year key forward. Indicating that they cost ridiculous amounts in a trade seals the decision for the Saints. They take McCartin - lets hope they get it right !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Before the Judd, Hodge & Ball draft, didn't West Coast circulate a rumor that Judd's shoulders were stuffed? Is the same happening again?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:Before the Judd, Hodge & Ball draft, didn't West Coast circulate a rumor that Judd's shoulders were stuffed? Is the same happening again?
Judds a vic boy, they all knew he had shoulder issues.

The saints were trying to be too clever and thought Judd would be there at 5.

WC couldn't believe their luck.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club."
That's such a bulls*** line of reasoning from the club. If you've got a good midfield you don't need a superstar forward, just a solid one. There's plenty of solid key forwards in the comp. Think about Podsiadly or Petrie or Schulz or Jenkins. Two of those guys were traded, one was a rookie at 29, one was drafted in the 20s and didn't really play key forward until his 10th season. All of them without exception kick goals because they've got good or great midfields kicking them the ball.

Signing a key forward now just in case we happen to have a good enough midfield in five years for it to matter is idiotic. It's a recipe for making sure that we'll be irrelevant in five years and won't have a great midfield OR a good key forward.

Trixilver
Club Player

Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake. After this year how can we not see it's more important that your midfield can pass the ball as opposed to your forwards being able to make an awful pass look OK. It just doesn't work like that.

FQF
SS Life Member

AR has pretty much said we are taking McCartin in the most certain terms possible without saying it explicitly.

It's a worry.

I will defer to the recruiters expertise, but can't say I won't be bitterly disappointed and extremely concerned.

evo
Club Player

I will not be stressed who ever we take but I reckon power forwards are rare, midfielders a dime a dozen. Not taking Petracca will not make us irrelevant ! I think a few on here think they know more than the professionals and are searching for flaws in McCartin to pump up their pin up boy.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Trixilver wrote:Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake.
Totally agree I want Petracca.

But I beleive the club are thinking that you need an A Grade key forward to get you through the season and win games. Perhaps they think McCartin is that option and to take him via the draft rather than paying millions to trade a player in. They know Petracca is special and will be a great player but perhaps the arguement for drafting a key forward is greater. If they are to take McCartin they obviously rate him very highly and believe they can add quality midfielders via future drafts, trade & free agency.

We have to remember that we need a quality team in the future 10 years not just a couple of hugely paid stars to win our next flag! Paying millions for a key forward will not garuantee a flag.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Moods
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:I will not be stressed who ever we take but I reckon power forwards are rare, midfielders a dime a dozen. Not taking Petracca will not make us irrelevant ! I think a few on here think they know more than the professionals and are searching for flaws in McCartin to pump up their pin up boy.
Completely agree evo. I'm not fussed on either. I'll bow to the ppl who have put 100's of hours research into it, rather than a few ppl on an internet forum who have watched a couple of highlight reels and decided that they know best

ppl on here are constantly referring to the Ball/Judd/Hodge scenario.

At the end of 05 how many ppl were unhappy with our selection?? Ball had been runners up and equal B&F. Only a crystal ball would tell us that he would be struck down with OP and pretty much ruin his career. Judd could just as easily have done his shoulders, and been useless. For all their research into a player, luck plays a massive role as well. Most reckon that AR knows what he's doing - so let him and his team get on with it, and as supporters I reckon we support whichever lad is chosen first. Talk of throwing away memberships etc is just childish and insulting to whoever we pick.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum, if by Saturday night it's the Paddy/Dan Andrews daily double I might go spare...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:For all their research into a player, luck plays a massive role as well.
Which is exactly why we shouldn't pick a key forward.

Picking a key forward only pays off if we get lucky. He needs to turn out to be AFL quality, he needs to not get seriously injured, he needs to not crack the s***s and go somewhere else, he needs to not be a dropkick off the field, etc. If any of those fail then our number 1 draft pick turns into Watts, Kreuzer, Josh Fraser. Maybe even Patton if his bad luck continues.

We're taking one massive bet and hoping like hell it pays off.

On the other hand, if we just take midfielders with every pick, last year, this year, next year, then we're making lots of smaller bets. If we have ten young mids all growing together - some who are very highly-rated (Billings, Petracca) - then we have every chance of getting at least a couple of stars and a few A-graders. The individual bet on Petracca actually matters less in that situation because we're naturally hedging against him failing.

Yes, if he fails we still look stupid. But at least we might have a good midfield which has us playing finals regularly. Rather than ending up like Melbourne.

Ultimately, if they think McCartin is head and shoulders above Petracca then obviously they should take him. But if they're line ball as they have been for months, you have to take the midfielder. Every time. Don't even think about it twice. Move on to doing research on picks 21 and 22.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Fair dinkum, if by Saturday night it's the Paddy/Dan Andrews daily double I might go spare...

Why do you have to bring in your stupid political views?

there is another forum for that, post your garbage there.

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

evo wrote:I will not be stressed who ever we take but I reckon power forwards are rare, midfielders a dime a dozen. Not taking Petracca will not make us irrelevant ! I think a few on here think they know more than the professionals and are searching for flaws in McCartin to pump up their pin up boy.
So McCartin is a "power forward".

Maybe against undersized kids. From the reports he sounds like a poor versions of Tom Hawkins.

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
So McCartin is a "power forward".

Maybe against undersized kids. From the reports he sounds like a poor versions of Tom Hawkins.

+ 1 . Looks like a poor mans Hawkins to me. Hawkins won the Larke medal and finished the nat champs with the 2nd most contested marks ever (after kosi).

Sure it was the Broken Hill footy league - but a bloke of similar height (Taylor Walker) boots 7 in the local Grand Final from CHF age 17.

Im just not convinced McCartin is a real stand-out like those blokes were. Not convinced at all. Obvioulsy he is a very good player - but making it as a power fwd in the AFL means you need to be a freak. Very good isnt enough.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Supposedly next years draft will be light on for forwards, but with high quality mids.

If the club isn't confident we will get McKenzie at 21 (or don't want him) then it may just come down to a numbers game - a guaranteed KPP and two good mids at 21 & 22 - as by all accounts this draft will be a deep one.

Then more mids next year.

The recent money spent on Boyd may also have spooked the club. It looks like a gun free agent mid will be a lot cheaper than a free agent forward.

Saint 58
Club Player

I'm sure that I'm wrong but I had the thought that Pick 1 will/may be used on Peter Wright
and Picks 21/22 on midfielders.

I would prefer Petracca at Pick 1.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Completely agree evo. I'm not fussed on either. I'll bow to the ppl who have put 100's of hours research into it, rather than a few ppl on an internet forum who have watched a couple of highlight reels and decided that they know best

i think it is a bit more than that....... 99% of the real footy experts rate petracca the best talent in the country...even the coach acknowledges that
Last edited by stinger on Tue 25 Nov 2014 1:57pm, edited 2 times in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
Trixilver wrote:Midfields win premierships. Even Lockett or Abblett Sr couldn't find a way of winning a flag. Abblett Jr on the other hand...

If we pass on Petracca it will be a mistake.
Totally agree I want Petracca.

But I beleive the club are thinking that you need an A Grade key forward to get you through the season and win games. Perhaps they think McCartin is that option and to take him via the draft rather than paying millions to trade a player in. They know Petracca is special and will be a great player but perhaps the arguement for drafting a key forward is greater. If they are to take McCartin they obviously rate him very highly and believe they can add quality midfielders via future drafts, trade & free agency.

We have to remember that we need a quality team in the future 10 years not just a couple of hugely paid stars to win our next flag! Paying millions for a key forward will not garuantee a flag.
Totally agree!

Hawthorn PROVED you don't need a STAR FF to win the flag COMFORTABLY.

If they don't pick Petracca, then I will demand that the George Costanza rule be invoked.
( Whatever instinct the admin and selectors have, do the COMPLETE opposite)

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Got the feeling we're about to make a huge mistake.

Read the article and it does seem to suggest we're taking McCartin. unless they are playing ducks and drakes....but the only people affected really are those of us on here.

Feel bad saying it, because he seems like a really good kid, but Paddy doesn't seem anything that special. Looking at highlights, I'd prefer Lamb over McCartin, and back him in to get more consistent.

193cm for a key forward means you have to be quick, mobile, and have a great leap....(like Rooey or from what I can tell...Lamb). Crashing packs at AFL level vs U18s is a big difference.

Paul Roos is staring down the barrell of getting Petracca for Frawley FFS....and setting his midfield up for a decade.

We have a good developing midfield but lacks pace and x factor....which is exactly what Petracca brings.

Also, we will be bottom 4 next 2 years...who is a KPF we can pick up in the next draft?

OK that is my pre-draft meltdown out of the way...Oh yeah , and what do I know anyway?

Did have the same feeling that many on here shared when we drafted Brad Howard, Lynch, and Jamie Cripps

Nee!