Is Jaeger Worth the Trouble?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Is Jaeger Worth the Trouble?

A fair enough question under the circumstances.

Don't get me wrong. Would love to have him. Even prepared to risk his buggered knee. But certainly not at any cost.

The Suns are understandably pissed and want a very high price and because he is not a free agent they will not take into account his club of choice.

They don't want draft picks so they say. They want like for like. So a gun midfielder for a gun midfielder.

GC might soften their position but don't count on it. Essendon never did for Jake.

IMO it would be totally unacceptable for any of our emerging talent to be sacrificed on the altar of Jaeger.

So draft picks or pass for the Saints, I say.

jaxons
Club Player

Re: Is Jaeger Worth the Trouble?

If he passes the medical emphatically then yes yes and yes.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I agree Not at the cost of any of our emerging players.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 26 Aug 2016 2:26am, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

No.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:If he passes the medical emphatically then yes yes and yes.
Passes the medical......

Would that be the same medical that cleared him to return to footy in July, he played less than half a game and then needed more surgery?

Absolutely a massive no. Madness to entertain trading a high pick for him. Zero guarantee he'll ever be able to play another game, let alone return to his best.
Jaxons, I seriously hope you're thinking is not the same as the club. Why on earth is it worth taking the risk at a high price? Seems to me there's a lot of 'creative thinking' going on about JOM's capacity to play. Like wishful thinking without looking at the reality as it is.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Not unless he goes into the draft, is still there when our last pick rolls around and is prepared to sign a short term, performance based contract. Personally, I can't see all of that happening. Let someone us give up picks, players and $.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Even though I've said no thanks previously, I reckon we'll make a big play for JOM because if right he's an absolute gun.

Possible trade options would be either Arnitage or Dustan and Lonie as steak knives.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Even though I've said no thanks previously, I reckon we'll make a big play for JOM because if right he's an absolute gun.

I know he has just had another op on his knee, but its not unusual that players may need a quick clean up/out after such a major op.

Possible trade options would be either Arnitage or Dustan and Lonie as steak knives.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Even though I've said no thanks previously, I reckon we'll make a big play for JOM because if right he's an absolute gun.

Are you on drugs?

Trade out Armo - a proven player and even more drug effected saying Dunstan, who has 10+ years and is becoming a proven hard nut for someone that hasn't played for 2 years??

Fair dinkum, this Ice epidemic has hit Saintsational big time!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbob
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
saintbob wrote:Even though I've said no thanks previously, I reckon we'll make a big play for JOM because if right he's an absolute gun.

Are you on drugs?

Trade out Armo - a proven player and even more drug effected saying Dunstan, who has 10+ years and is becoming a proven hard nut for someone that hasn't played for 2 years??

No I'm not on drugs, I just don't wear 2" thick rose coloured glasses like you. Which I'll be more than happy to shove up your f****** arse if you ever imply I'm on drugs again.

This is a forum where we can air our own opinions and I did nothing more than give mine which I won't back away from.

Armo and Dunstan play exactly the same role, and it's one of the reasons why we continually get smashed by good teams!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He would have been the exact player we needed

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stkfc1
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:He would have been the exact player we needed
And thats the kicker. "Would have been." Way to many questions on his longetivity. Suns saying they want two first rounders. So teams will be tempted to give away future picks. Next years draft is already being called another "Super draft". Best Top 20 for a while. Need to make sure we're not missing out on it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure if the question is whether he is worth the trouble. It is how would we realistically get him?
Can someone give me one realistic example of a trade that GC would accept?

And no Lee, Longer and pick 10 would not be acceptable. Not even close.

Even this year + next year first rounder wouldnt get it done (and even that would be a huge risk for us).

Armo plus pick 10 might be acceptable to them. High risk therel

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:

Are you on drugs?

lol

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't want to give up picks or players for him but money YES!

Tell him to nominate for the draft with $1.2 million on his first year contract, $800k second year, 400k third year and if he hasn't come good we are off the hook in our main challenging years of 2020 onwards. And 2019 only costing $400k.

Averages around $800k a season which is about right.

Not sure many clubs have $1.2m available in their cap except North now with 4 big salaries off their TPP.

Brisbane might have that room too but have been paying overs to keep their players there.

Another club may trump us this way but with dodgy knees, we are the best placed to take the risk as we will really threaten 2019.

If another club satisfied Gold Coast in a trade and JOM agrees then ok we miss out. I am ok with that.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
spert
Saintsational Legend

What players with multiple knee operations have come back to be champions a couple of years later? Might be a few, but I get the feeling JOM could get up to senior fitness, though I bet he would never be the player with the potential he had pre injury.

mambo2706
Club Player

damienc wrote:The Suns are understandably pissed and want a very high price and because he is not a free agent they will not take into account his club of choice.
Does a player have to accept the trade for it to go through or does he get no say at all?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
damienc wrote:The Suns are understandably pissed and want a very high price and because he is not a free agent they will not take into account his club of choice.
Does a player have to accept the trade for it to go through or does he get no say at all?
That is a very good question. This is kind of an unwritten rule in the AFL that hasnt been fully tested in the Crts.....
JOM is out of contract but not eligible to be a FA. So there needs to be some quid pro quo. But this is a sort of gentlemanly arrangement.

For example what if Brisbane offered something to GC like Rockliff + pick 2. And GC said ok thats great but then JOM cracked it and refused to go.
That sort of scenario would be interesting.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 26 Aug 2016 12:31pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Technically - I believe - no say - but you would be a fool to offer a trade unless the player agrees.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Freeman passed our medical right?!...

#1 Ryder fan
mambo2706
Club Player

Thanks Con And Sainter Dad

The_President
Club Player

"Hey Jaeger, you're cooked, but we've invested plenty in you. We're going to ask for two first rounders.. But we'll take one. You ask for a big contract so you can set yourself up for retirement. We both win"

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

If and only if we can get Freeman back and playing full on in the seniors for at least a season without recurrences, then and only then should we be looking at other risky prospects.
Jaeger could be a potential double whammy or we could suffer a triple whammy if we land Fyfe and he never gets himself right.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:What players with multiple knee operations have come back to be champions a couple of years later? Might be a few, but I get the feeling JOM could get up to senior fitness, though I bet he would never be the player with the potential he had pre injury.
Burgoyne's knees were shot when he arrived at Hawthorn.