Next captain of StKilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lintonstreet
Club Player

Re: Next captain of StKilda

Armo is not being considered.

Only contenders are Gears, Mav, Jack S & Jack N.

Jack S struggles to communicate in the same way that Harvs did - both great players but not captain material.

Gears would be a poor choice because of his age.

Next captain should be Mav with Newnesy Vice

elizabethr
Club Player

lintonstreet wrote:Armo is not being considered.

Only contenders are Gears, Mav, Jack S & Jack N.

Jack S struggles to communicate in the same way that Harvs did - both great players but not captain material.

Gears would be a poor choice because of his age.

Next captain should be Mav with Newnesy Vice
Why is Armo not being considered?

nothing to say
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

There isn't a standout. All have question marks. In another season those about Mav or jack N will hopefully be answered. The only reason I could see for not giving it to Roo again would be if they have Geary or Jack S in mind. I don't think the latter is quite captaincy material. So I expect Geary, but believe Roo should have kept it. He deserves the record, and it the best choice for 2017.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:There isn't a standout. All have question marks. In another season those about Mav or jack N will hopefully be answered. The only reason I could see for not giving it to Roo again would be if they have Geary or Jack S in mind. I don't think the latter is quite captaincy material. So I expect Geary, but believe Roo should have kept it. He deserves the record, and it the best choice for 2017.
Would also like to see Roo take the record. I recall Tony74 posting at the end of last year that Roo is stepping down with a view to extending his career as much as possible.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I think I favour Geary for a year or two for his standing among the group.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

To the top

I don't pick the captain but I am pretty certain Jarryn Geary will be appointed because he is the best 'leader' outside of Roo

Personally I like Armo because he's a warrior... But is too much of a lad and mucks around a lot
Steven is very shy, just lets his footy do the talking
Mav is a bit of a Goddard, a bit about him and is very demanding. He is also sill a bit in and out of games
Newnes is not established enough as a leader yet

Really
Roo should have kept it, but didn't want to

Bruce, Ross and Roberton are also very promising leaders

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Mav is a bit of a Goddard, a bit about him and is very demanding. He is also sill a bit in and out of games
Just becuase Goddard points and has lots of tantrums doesnt make him a leader or demanding. It just makes him a f_wit.
Weller seems to actually be a good bloke and to care about other players around him. He is demanding but in more of a teaching kind of way.
Id have no issues if they did go for Mav at this point.

I think with Newnes, Mav and Seb Ross we have three young blokes who are all Captaincy material.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Con

How well do you know the players

Firstly
You call BJ Goddard a f-wit? BJ was a gun at stk for 200+ games and is in the upper echelon of players to ever wear the Jumper. How many AAs has StK produced? He was an AA twice at stk, he finished top 5 in the B&F in our great teams from 2008-2011.
Furthermore, his best mate is Nick Riewoldt. Are we saying Nick keeps the company of f-wits.
I think people see Brendon Goddard point and think soon, and see Luke Hodge exhibit the same behaviour and think spiritual leader
It's all about perception of the masses without real knowledge of the people, and the people are swayed so easily by popular opinion or what the media want us to think.

You wrote that Mav seemed like a 'good bloke' how do you come to that conclusion? Media grabs?

Maverick is a very focussed and rigid man, his prep is now immaculate and he has worked hard for his career resurrection but I am not sure empathy is his biggest quality, he still is very much driven towards personal success as he is only really just cemented a career, and he wants to go from B Grade to A Grade as s player.

One things for sure though, Mav is as tough as they come... With Armo, Geary, Newnes, Steven
All are tough as nails
Last edited by BigMart on Wed 11 Jan 2017 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm not certain mav will be in our best 22 in a couple of years time.

Needs to work on his consistency and worry about his own game at this stage before being considered as captain.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Love BJ as a player. Consider him a great Saints player.
No argument there.
I am only talking about captaincy attributes.
Not convinced BJ would be a great captain.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If you are going to select a young player as Captain then Seb Ross would be as good as choice as any. He has been around as long as Jack Newnes, and was taken with our first pick in that draft, Jack was our third choice. And Seb has now gone past Newnes in my opinion.

lintonstreet
Club Player

dragit wrote:I'm not certain mav will be in our best 22 in a couple of years time.

Needs to work on his consistency and worry about his own game at this stage before being considered as captain.

Please tell me you are not serious. Mav is soon to become elite not discarded. His preparation will this season reward him in spades. The players all say is ferocity at the ball is scary.
Don't forget when he went to the Gold Coast he was their number one pick nationally. That's right the best 27 year old in the country. He then played under a s*** coach and broke his shoulder.
Go down to training and you will now see him dominating.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
dragit wrote:I'm not certain mav will be in our best 22 in a couple of years time.

Please tell me you are not serious. Mav is soon to become elite not discarded. His preparation will this season reward him in spades. The players all say is ferocity at the ball is scary.
Don't forget when he went to the Gold Coast he was their number one pick nationally. That's right the best 27 year old in the country. He then played under a s*** coach and broke his shoulder.
I'm dead serious, but you're having a lend…

He wasn't taken with pick 1, he was one of 12 underage players they were allowed to sign before the draft… most of which didn't make it.

Weller was de-listed after 3 years and 30-odd games, 17 clubs wouldn't touch him with a spot on their main list but he was fortunate to be thrown a life-line with our 2nd rookie pick.

I think he's going pretty well and definitely earnt his place in the side for now… but ferocity isn't enough to keep your place at AFL level.

16 disposals / 1 goal / 4 tackles per match is not even remotely elite. He's 25 before next season - how much improvement can we expect?

He may hold his spot as a workhorse, but if Steele & Stevens start playing better footy than Mav, then he will be under pressure… if we also add 2-3 elite mids in the next year or so he may struggle IMO…

lintonstreet
Club Player

dragit wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

He wasn't taken with pick 1, he was one of 12 underage players they were allowed to sign before the draft… most of which didn't make it.

Weller was de-listed after 3 years and 30-odd games, 17 clubs wouldn't touch him with a spot on their main list but he was fortunate to be thrown a life-line with our 2nd rookie pick.

I think he's going pretty well and definitely earnt his place in the side for now… but ferocity isn't enough to keep your place at AFL level.

16 disposals / 1 goal / 4 tackles per match is not even remotely elite. He's 25 before next season - how much improvement can we expect?

He may hold his spot as a workhorse, but if Steele & Stevens start playing better footy than Mav, then he will be under pressure… if we also add 2-3 elite mids in the next year or so he may struggle IMO…
You're incorrect - he was their first pick of 12.
Need to do better research

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The order of your selections is kind of irrelevant when you get 12 free hits… plus Gold Coast's drafting has been abysmal.

Even if he was the #1 pick, the key take home here is that he was de-listed 3 years later and passed over by every club in the main draft.

longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

MAV played last season as an almost permanent half-forward flank.
His 16 disposals /1 goal/4 tackles are very acceptable for this role.
Steele and Stevens are midfielders and it is doubtful if they could do better at half-forward.

One year will be our year
dragit
Saintsational Legend

acceptable ≠ elite

longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:acceptable ≠ elite
No team in history has had 22 elite players.
Some elite backed by very good or acceptable for the role they perform and then molded into a champion team is what can win a premiership.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
Some elite backed by very good or acceptable for the role they perform and then molded into a champion team is what can win a premiership.
Absolutely, but you just said he was about to become elite.

Right now I think Mav's best is absolutely best 22, but some of his middling games put him back in the pack… hopefully he can bring his best more consistently cause the tone he sets is obviously good for the side.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I would just give it to Newnes.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
Absolutely, but you just said he was about to become elite.

Right now I think Mav's best is absolutely best 22, but some of his middling games put him back in the pack… hopefully he can bring his best more consistently cause the tone he sets is obviously good for the side.
I have never said he is about to become elite. I think he will remain a very important part of our best 22.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:Mav is soon to become elite
Men minnit.

longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Men minnit.
This is longtimesaint NOT lintonstreet!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
Men minnit.
You're all the same imaginary weirdo to me.

longtimesaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
Men minnit.
You're all the same imaginary weirdo to me.
If you are going to comment on other people's posts get the right person you are referring to!