The FORX Report – Seasoned 2017 assessment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AeonFlux
Club Player

The FORX Report – Seasoned 2017 assessment

With thanks again to the great Rodger, here's another
The Rodger FORX Report - Seasoned 2017 assessment. :)
“We don’t know what we gave him, but it was nothing but vitamin pills.
We don’t know what we gave him, but it was nothing illegal.
We don’t know what we gave him, but it was nothing but Christmas cake icing.
We don’t know what we gave him, but it was nothing dangerous.

And that’s regardless of what you may have hird.”

- Essendon Football Club.

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

----- Rodger ------- Nymeria ------- BakesFan ----------- Aaron
HarryM wrote: Nope never heard of them :roll:
AeonFlux
Club Player

Re: The FORX Report – Seasoned 2017 assessment

Sorry. Wrong report, again. :oops:

Try this one. The Rodger FORX Report - Seasoned 2017 assessment. :D
Inspired by that strangely ignored thread (please check it out)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92081

I do my assessments based on win/loss or 50/50 (for which I 'award' half a win.) On that basis, I had us at 9-14 wins last season, so settled on 12. :)

Round 1 - Melbourne - Etihad - Saturday - WIN
Round 2 - West Coast Eagles - Domain - Saturday (7 day break to 6 break with Travel from Melbourne) - LOSS
Round 3 - Brisbane Lions - Etihad - Sunday (8T-Perth to 8) - WIN
Round 4 - Collingwood - Etihad - Sunday (7 to 9T-Sydney) - WIN
Round 5 - Geelong Cats - Etihad - Sunday (7 to 6) - WIN
Round 6 - Hawthorn - Launceston - Saturday (6 to 6) - WIN
Round 7 - GWS Giants - Etihad - Friday (6T-Tassie to 7) - 50/50
Round 8 - Carlton - Etihad - Saturday (8 to 7) - WIN
Round 9 - Sydney - Etihad - Saturday (7 to 6T-Melb) - 50/50
Round 10 - Western Bulldogs - Etihad - Saturday (7 to 8) - 50/50
Round 11 BYE
Round 12 - Adelaide - Adelaide Oval - Friday (13 to 7T-Geelong) - LOSS
Round 13 - North Melbourne - Etihad - Friday (7T-Adel to 13) - WIN
Round 14 - Gold Coast - Etihad - Sunday (9 to 8) - WIN
Round 15 - Fremantle - Domain - Sunday (7 to 7T-Geelong) - 50/50
Round 16 - Richmond - Etihad - Saturday (6T-Perth to 7T-Adel) - WIN
Round 17 - Essendon - Etihad - Friday (6 to 6) - WIN
Round 18 - Sydney - SCG - Saturday (8 to 7) - LOSS
Round 19 - Port Adelaide - Adelaide Oval - Saturday (7T-Sydney to 7T-Melb) - 50/50
Round 20 - West Coast - Etihad - Sunday (8T-Adel to 7) - WIN
Round 21 - Melbourne - MCG - Sunday (7 to 8T-Canberra) - WIN
Round 22 - North Melbourne - Etihad - Sunday (7 to 7) - WIN
Round 23 - Richmond - MCG - ??? - WIN

So that's,
14-wins, 5-50/50's, 3-losses.
(We should easily beat the Freo, and I expect us to do so. But given our travelling record, I've put that one down as 50/50 to be objective. So this will be a very 'telling' game re our progress.)
So that's 14-19 wins.
Being conservative (so as to appeal to a certain demographic amongst the readership here :wink: ) with the 50/50's...

16-wins, 6-losses - top six, with a touch of luck - top 4.

Teams rated inferior to us:
Everyone from last year who finished below us, plus North, Hawks, Geelong (flattered by last year's ladder position, and if Dangerfield gets injured... ) and Eagles.

Teams rated about level with us:
Dogs, Crows.

Hardest to beat:
The franchises - Giants and Sydney (though they're now lacking for key defenders, and I'm seriously wondering if Tippet hasn't become slightly toxic to them? But hey, cry me a river... :twisted: )

Finals:
We will replace North. Hawks and Geelong should also drop out, but I'm not sure who would be able to replace them, so they may well remain(?)

Flag:
Wide open. We aren't quite ready, but have great upside, and could well pinch it this year.
From 2018 onwards we will be very very very serious flag contenders. 8-)

Players to watch:
Carlisle - will end up more than satisfying his doubters.
Billings - his critics need to look at the highlights from Round 3 vs Collingwood - which was before his 'shin splints' kicked in again. Long goal from outside 50, off a couple of steps.
Paddy Power!!!!!! I reckon he just needs one or two reasonable bags, and he's off and running (and goaling).
Acres - the competition will see what we already see. We rate 2016 as his break out season, but the competition will say it was 2017.
Stevens - (Gotta' love how everyone calls him 'Steven' :lol: ) and Steele - will really add some steel ( :oops: ) against enemy big bodied mids.
Long - will be in the team and 'contributing' by end of the year. Will take a few more years, but give this bloke a few pre-seasons - will be an absolute star!
Brown - I think Marto's prediction may be on the money.
Gresh - will be an absolute star, but it will be interesting to see how much of the second year blues he suffers from first(?)

Looking ahead:
Battle - I rate him, but may take a couple of years. Will he have grown enough to be a key forward, or will he be the third marking option/Membrey-type? Will he be a mid? Has the endurance (apparently), but doe he have the mobility?
'The Marshall' - another I really rate him - ruck, key forward or key back. Will take time, but will be an absolute draft steal!
Freeman - no hurry - I just want to see some VFL games, then some good VFL games, then a seniors run around by some time round mid season.

Under pressure:
Longer - Marto nailed it again. (On a roll big fella'. :D ) Can't run nor mark. Ordinary kick. Competitive and combative tap ruckman, but no more. I'm disappointed that we didn't manage to off-load him. The rest of the competition must surely wake-up soon. Damn!
Holmesy - Age and inability to find the ball/read the play are the issues. I want to see him playing at either FF or CHF, with lots of leads. And if needed, license to go kick-chasing too. Simply needs to get the footy in his hands.
Minch/Lonie/Sinclair - Mounting pressure on places as a small forward/on-baller.
Savage - Mounting pressure on his half back role. (For example, I rate the inexplicably maligned Webster as being significantly better in all facets, apart from kicking length. Then we also have the likes of MacKenzie and White.)

Others of note:
I would expect some further improvement from THE MAV :D , but not game-changing stuff. When he first started with us, he seemed (to me) to be rushing to get rid of the footy as soon as he got it. Now, he has confidence, and hangs onto it, and takes the opposition on, and succeeds. He's also got very strong hands in a marking contest.

I see a similarity with Acres... except one could always see that Blake was trying to take the game on... now he's executing what he was previously attempting to do. He's hard to tackle, quicker than what people think, and strong enough to stand up in the tackle if caught (a bit Harvey-esque like that).

What we haven't seen yet from Acres is his marking. He's got a big leap, and will end up proving very dangerous in the air up forward. Similarly with Billings. In his first couple of seasons he often got his hands on it deep in our forward line, but just failed to complete the mark. I did notice though, in the last couple of games when he had a run on the ball, he ended up taking a few round the ground pack marks.

We have a huge upside!!! The only ‘downside’ (Roo) is still showing no signs of – slowing down. His new go wherever the hell you think wing role gives us three (top line) players in one. I see no reason why he won't play in our 2018 GF side - at least. Great piece of coaching their Richo. B)

Similarly with the Dempster. Why are so many on here retiring him??? As I read in another post - look at his output, not his age. He's currently our best defender - though I hope that Carlisle, and eventually also Goddard, will surpass him. :)

If I was a gambling man, I'd give you evens on the Saints making top six. And if you were, you'd probably take it!

I'm not a gambler. But if I was, those odds look very very generous. I reckon the wheels would have to really fall off big-time for us not to make top six.

Talent-wise, I'd rate us equal third (with the Dogs, and just behind the possibly staggering Sydney, and then a little further again behind the Giants). But with considerably more upside than those teams, or anyone else - except maybe the Giants.

Paying 3/2 just to make the 8 (equal ninth with port, and unbelievably, freo and essendon). Melbourne are shorter.

I find that bemusing.

Sure, Essendon will improve, but not by much? They weren't good enough before the gear happened, and are hardly going to be better now. (Only better than last year, which is saying very little.)

Speaking of 'saying very little', I don't get why those tankards Melbourne are rated above us??? They even lost to Essendon last year(!) Lewis will help them (lost the plot there btw Hawks, so thanks for your prime first round draft pick :mrgreen: ), but the tankard/losing mentality still reigns down there Melbourne. And I'm still laffn' at how they think the worst-ever No 1 draft pick has finally turned the corner. Turned the corner into a cul-de-sac. :lol: Getting a few soft uncontested kicks, when you were actually recruited to be a star CHF...? Hint, Demons. Think Roo. (No, not Roos. :roll: ) Hilarious. The Watts he good at is soft and lazy.

As for Freo. Sure, they've recruited blokes to fill the key forward gaps... but that doesn't mean those blokes are any good(!) And they still haven't replaced MacFarlane down back. Then, there's the poor (more like destitute) man's Tiprat being is on the (very) slippery slide, on the nose with Rosco, and he doesn't even want to be there anymore. Sandilands is on his last legs (when not injured). And there's big questions about Fyffe.

Freo. They're old. (Who’d have guessed that would happen? :lol: ) And they're not playing finals any time soon. Cry me another river.

So, what are the odds on offer of us finishing above all of the Freo, Demons and the Drug Runnerss? That's one bet I would take. B)

Thoughts Saintsationalists, thoughts Aeon?

Thanks again Rodge. Love your insights. You’re experienced (no Johnny-come-lately), and you know your stuff. This forum needs to hear more from you.

ReMembering:
Image Image Image Image

----- Rodger ------- Nymeria ------- BakesFan ----------- Aaron
HarryM wrote: Nope never heard of them :roll:
citywest

AeonFlux wrote:With thanks again to the great Rodger, here's another

Shame on you for making fun of someone who has just recently tried to take his life. This deserves a Permanent Ban in my book.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:

Shame on you for making fun of someone who has just recently tried to take his life. This deserves a Permanent Ban in my book.
bit touchy about a particular public figure citywest? trying to censor someone for posting a bit of dark banter? on a public forum full of different opinions and sensibilities? your own opinions have divided many on here, who've called for your own banning. thankfully wiser heads recognise diversity of opinions and tolerance of expression. bit surprised by your mini melt.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The OP is the very epitome of rose coloured glasses, drunk on kool aid pre-season optimism.

A couple of the best examples :

"Teams rated inferior to us:
Everyone from last year who finished below us, plus North, Hawks, Geelong (flattered by last year's ladder position, and if Dangerfield gets injured... ) and Eagles.

Teams rated about level with us:
Dogs, Crows."

Okay. Rated the same as the reigning premiers. Rated better than the Cats and Weagles. Kool Aid must be tasty coz he's drunk plenty of it.

This is also good :
"'The Marshall' - another I really rate him - ruck, key forward or key back. Will take time, but will be an absolute draft steal!"

Has anyone on here actually seen him play? Love that phrase at this time of year - "an absolute draft steal".

The OP has rolled up all the elements of pre-season optimism into one jolly post.

Conservatively - only 16 wins. :shock: :shock: :shock:

May it all come true.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If there was a B & F for posters on SS then AeonFlux would be the Jack Steven equivalent.
Dedication, speed, resilience, reliable. A game breaker.
Another quality post imo.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Start the celebration now I say!

On a serious note, we finished 13th last year so we were the best team with the group c draw (13-18th teams) this year we are not going to get an easy draw, so will have to improve to hold ground

Do we also assume all other teams will not improve either?
Ie/ Freo will include Sandilands, Fyfe, Pearce, McCarthy, Bennell, Kersten, Hamling
Whilst losing underperforming veterans Pavlich, Barlow, Mzungu, Mayne

They will improve 4 spots just because of Fyfe and Sandilands if they stay fit

Then there's Essendon, Gold Coast and Collinwood I expect to improve

Speaking of injuries

Of course projecting is difficult because every team is 3 or 4 injuries away from bottom 4
Eg/
Gold Coast, Freo

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm confident we will improve on last season, however that doesn't automatically mean that we'll end up with a better win/loss ratio.

I think Hawthorn, Geelong and North will be big sliders. Perhaps Werst Coast as well, although I think they're more an unknown quantity.

Melbourne, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Collingwood & Fremantle, will all improve, how much remains to be seen.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I'm confident we will improve on last season, however that doesn't automatically mean that we'll end up with a better win/loss ratio.

I think Hawthorn, Geelong and North will be big sliders. Perhaps Werst Coast as well, although I think they're more an unknown quantity.

Melbourne, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Collingwood & Fremantle, will all improve, how much remains to be seen.
I recall Tony74 saying at the end of last season not to expect too big a jump this year and that we will do well to hold our ladder position. Hard to disagree with that looking at the draw. Lots of rosy pre-season optimism rolling along, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. All of the clubs have players 'flying' at this stage.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AeonFlux wrote:

Holmesy - Age and inability to find the ball/read the play are the issues. I want to see him playing at either FF or CHF, with lots of leads. And if needed, license to go kick-chasing too. Simply needs to get the footy in his hands..

Sorry, but this would be an unmitigated disaster.

You cannot play FF or CHF well unless you can read the play. A FF and CHF needs to know when to lead, and where and when to run to. Holmes simply has not acquired these abilities and would appear unlikely to now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Holmes is there as back up only. Pierce will get his chance this year. Billy there for trade value. His stocks dropped considerably this year, resulting in little interest at the trade table. Still, GWS were willing to take him but he didn't want to go. Marshall and Pierce are the future. Hickey is the main man. We're in good hands, ruck wise.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Holmes is there as back up only. Pierce will get his chance this year. Billy there for trade value. His stocks dropped considerably this year, resulting in little interest at the trade table. Still, GWS were willing to take him but he didn't want to go. Marshall and Pierce are the future. Hickey is the main man. We're in good hands, ruck wise.
In July last year, they gave Lewis another three years until the end of 2019 did they not? The club must think the same as you WW.
Another poster on here, with some in depth understanding of the finer points of ruck work, reckons Pierce will be better than Hickey.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pierce
Good around the ground, cannot jump at centre bounce
Holmes
Can't get a kick, massive jump at centre bounce
Longer
Good as a clearance ruckman, can't get a kick

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Pierce
Good around the ground, cannot jump at centre bounce
Holmes
Can't get a kick, massive jump at centre bounce
Longer
Good as a clearance ruckman, can't get a kick
Looks like we'll have to get the geneticists in to splice up their genes and make one super ruckman from the attributes of the three. Solves two problems. Gives us an extra two spots on the list and one super ruckman. Win, win. The ethicists may have something to say about it, though.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Numpty

citywest wrote:

I totally agree with you Mr West. I will build a great wall to keep her out. Making fun of those with a disability is disgusting! I would never do that. Even if James is one of the most over-rated actresses in Follywood. Believe me. #makingsaintsationalgrateagain

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Numpty wrote:
citywest wrote:

I totally agree with you Mr West. I will build a great wall to keep her out. Making fun of those with a disability is disgusting! I would never do that. Even if James is one of the most over-rated actresses in Follywood. Believe me. #makingsaintsationalgrateagain
What a numpty.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Start the celebration now I say!

On a serious note, we finished 13th last year so we were the best team with the group c draw (13-18th teams) this year we are not going to get an easy draw, so will have to improve to hold ground

Do we also assume all other teams will not improve either?
Ie/ Freo will include Sandilands, Fyfe, Pearce, McCarthy, Bennell, Kersten, Hamling
Whilst losing underperforming veterans Pavlich, Barlow, Mzungu, Mayne

They will improve 4 spots just because of Fyfe and Sandilands if they stay fit

Then there's Essendon, Gold Coast and Collinwood I expect to improve

Speaking of injuries

Of course projecting is difficult because every team is 3 or 4 injuries away from bottom 4
Eg/
Gold Coast, Freo
I don't understand why people say we finished 9th because of an easy draw.

We won two games against teams above us and lost two (interstate) against teams below us. 9th seems about right

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because of who we played twice, you play 6 teams twice... We had a good draw, especially after R10

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

And finished 9th comfortably.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Because of who we played twice, you play 6 teams twice... We had a good draw, especially after R10

5 teams, me thinks.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

My memory is failing me.
Who did we play twice in season 2016 and where did they finish on the ladder?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Look it up

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Look it up
Thanks for the response.
My question was directed to the readers generally and not specifically to you.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote:Look it up
Thanks for the response.
My question was directed to the readers generally and not specifically to you.
Having taken the advice, I've discovered we played the following teams twice

WB who finished 7th after H&A
NM who finished 8th
Melb who finished 11th
Carlton who finished 14th
Essendon who finished 18th

As a comparison I looked at Melbourne's draw (as we seem to be compared with them a lot)
they played the following teams twice ;-
Haw who finished 3rd
Stk who finished 9th
Port who finished 10th
Coll who finished 12th
Gold Coast who finished 15th

WB played the following teams twice :-
Freo
Us
NM
Coll
Geelong

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And when you have a look at NM's draw they finished in front of us in 8th position only by %) they seemingly had a 'tougher' run than us, having to play the following teams twice :-
Adel
WB
us
Syd
Haw