Have Our Supporters Become the Softest in Victoria?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Have Our Supporters Become the Softest in Victoria?

We have one of the smallest memberships in Victoria and the least revenue streams. We are the perennial wooden spooners winning one at a rate of approx every 6 years with 1 premeirship in our 140 year history. How can the club expect to maintain Saints supporters thru the gates with a record like that.

I dont live in Mebourne now but when I did during the early 80's it was some of the darkest days in football supporting our club.

I think its time the club started rewarding the members/supporters with on field results if they want there loyalties to return.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne has been the fastest growing capital for a while, we should be indoctrinating these new residents wherever possible… A few solid families now could produce a lot of future saint nutjobs like us down the track.

Legendary
Club Player

I attend every game that commences at 2.10pm on a Saturday.

The_Merchant
Club Player

I went to the saints game, and the tigers v dees. Having two games scheduled at the same time in Melbourne doesn't help (Hawks at the g started an hour after us). Plenty of neutral supporters at the g on Anzac eve, where as we would have stuff all neutrals on a Sunday arvo in the middle of a pseudo long weekend.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Honestly, we have always had a terrible showing in Melbourne at away games. And we're starting to dip badly with home games.

I've noticed a lot of people who consider themselves genuine, super-passionate fans don't really turn up week in, week out. And I hate to say it, but we haven't done enough as a club to make people want to get to the games.

I believe in the old adage that "a crowd attracts a crowd" and this is a problem for us. On top of that, the atmosphere is too often lacking; nobody wants to generate any noise.

We haven't created a communal, energetic place for Sainters to converge and swell the passion. The ripple-down effect of this is considerable.

When I go to football matches in Europe, for example, there's countless intimate bars and street stalls around/outside the ground. The noise, the vibe and the whole experience of people congregating outside is magnetic. We used to have elements of that (especially the walk from the station) at Moorabbin, but at Docklands, there is nothing to support it.

These days it's a fairly soulless experience. You turn up to a generic venue that isn't exclusively yours; 18 teams play risk-averse football, it's expensive and you don't get much access to players. And who has five hours of their weekend to give away any more?

The dynamics of spectator sport have changed, dramatically, and we should be a club that's leading the charge to get our fans turning up every single week we play in Melbourne.

Basically, the next time we are "up", we need to really put some solid bricks in the wall with regard to keeping the fan base for the long term. We totally gave away the progress we made in 2003-6 and 2008-11; I'd argue we hardly built the fan base at all. That was largely due to terrible administration, but I hope we can be better this time around.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:I attend every game that commences at 2.10pm on a Saturday.
Same here...

I dont go often anymore.

Factors including, kids, junior footy, crap draw, long commute, don't like docklands, a large TV and beer on tap at home.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Same here...

I dont go often anymore.

Factors including, kids, junior footy, crap draw, long commute, don't like docklands, a large TV and beer on tap at home.

Any factors left towards going?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Why is this time slot special?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm the softest..I moved interstate

Vazelos
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Honestly, we have always had a terrible showing in Melbourne at away games. And we're starting to dip badly with home games.

I've noticed a lot of people who consider themselves genuine, super-passionate fans don't really turn up week in, week out. And I hate to say it, but we haven't done enough as a club to make people want to get to the games.

I believe in the old adage that "a crowd attracts a crowd" and this is a problem for us. On top of that, the atmosphere is too often lacking; nobody wants to generate any noise.

We haven't created a communal, energetic place for Sainters to converge and swell the passion. The ripple-down effect of this is considerable.

When I go to football matches in Europe, for example, there's countless intimate bars and street stalls around/outside the ground. The noise, the vibe and the whole experience of people congregating outside is magnetic. We used to have elements of that (especially the walk from the station) at Moorabbin, but at Docklands, there is nothing to support it.

These days it's a fairly soulless experience. You turn up to a generic venue that isn't exclusively yours; 18 teams play risk-averse football, it's expensive and you don't get much access to players. And who has five hours of their weekend to give away any more?

The dynamics of spectator sport have changed, dramatically, and we should be a club that's leading the charge to get our fans turning up every single week we play in Melbourne.

Basically, the next time we are "up", we need to really put some solid bricks in the wall with regard to keeping the fan base for the long term. We totally gave away the progress we made in 2003-6 and 2008-11; I'd argue we hardly built the fan base at all. That was largely due to terrible administration, but I hope we can be better this time around.
Excellent post outlining the facts of today but I still go and I buy 3 memberships with seats to support the club. Having worked in sport I understand how important it is to buy memberships and support the club. Nothing beats the Moorabbin days but that's like another time now.