What is our Best Forward Structure?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

What is our Best Forward Structure?

What do you think is our best forward structure for the rest of the year with our current personnel?

Is it 3 talls (I've included Membrey as the 3rd tall) and 3 smalls?
Is it 2 talls + 2 mediums + 2 smalls like the last game against Geelong?
Some other combination?

It looks like the way we wanted to go from the start of the year was 3 talls (Bruce, McCartin, Membrey) and 3 smalls (Gresham, Lonie, Weller/Wright) but McCartin just doesn't seem fit enough yet and Bruce is struggling both as a forward and as a second ruck option.

I think with McCartin out that Bruce and Membrey (with Roo lending a hand) doesn't really work if Roo is up the ground or Bruce was rucking. Also when Roo was in the forward line that robbed us further up the ground.

Maybe it's time to promote Marshall as a forward/second ruck option to play along side Membrey with only one of Bruce/McCartin in there thereby leaving Roo on the wing with a bit of chop out in the forward line when Hickey takes a rest

Anyway, what say you?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: What is our Best Forward Structure?

I think it wont matter who plays forward until the rest of the team can deliver the ball to our forwards on a lead! Richo needs to find midfielders and fast...

To the top
SS Life Member

Membrey is 188cm, so Acres is taller and all of Ross, Steele, Stevens, Webster and White are around the same height.

Membrey is mid-field size.

This is why we run to problems without McCartin and then particularly when Bruce is rucking.

Membrey needs to play behind both McCartin and Bruce so not being defended by a KPP defender.

That will give Membrey his best opportunity to contribute by kicking goals (and doing everything else required) and therefore remain in the side.

A KPP Membrey is not.

This is why our selection v Geelong was so, so wrong and got us big time in the end.

We could not even roll our "resting" ruckman forward v Geelong because he lacked anything other than "knock ruckman" attributes - and was found out defensively anyway.

Simply, McCartin has to play (and he has already shown at AFL level he is capable) so we can "structure up".

Past that, Gresham is the small forward with potential and past that we need players inventive enough also to put score board pressure on.

I have never believed in a "defensive forward" because that just reduces the number of inventive goal kickers we have - and every forward needs to have defensive capacity, particularly those of Membrey's height and less.

Bruce had a very good defensive pressure game and we have to get that back somehow.

Perhaps with McCartin, Bruce and Membrey it will return by opportunity.

As an aside, White's 188cm on a back flank or back pocket attracts me.

Plus he has his other attributes, attributes we require also from all our 193cm down defenders - and from Carlisle and Brown

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the above. Structure is important.

We need to persevere with McCartin and Bruce in key positions and employ Membrey as a mid sized forward.

HF Billings, Bruce, Membrey
F Gresham, McCartin, Weller

I think Paddy is a natural old fashioned full forward, though his set-shot kicking needs some work. Doesn't even matter to me if he's the stay at home type, so long as he presents on the lead, contests in packs and holds up one of the bookends.

An extra tallish target can only benefit Membrey and Bruce.

A bigger problem, however, is in the guts and at the clearances.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Two tall key position forwards (taller than McCartin who plays shorter than his height suggests) one who can genuinely pinch hit in the ruck so at least 200cm.
Bruce can be the one who does not ruck but only after he learns to kick straight.
We need someone like Marshall to turn into a Tom Boyd.
Two lead up forwards who can strong mark, run and tackle like Membrey. (Membrey players taller than is height suggests)
Weller needs to grow 8 cm taller.
Hopefully Josh Battle can develop into this role.
Two crumbers who can chase and tackle like pit bull terriers. Gresham & Minchington.

I prefer the likes of Acres to be mid fielders.
Players around 190cm can take marks against the shorter midfielders as well as win the ground ball.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I am not convinced by Paddy, especially in a key position.
In that role his opponent will always be taller and at least as fast.
He will never develop the tank of a Riewoldt that will get him the separation from his opponent late in the game.
We need Marshall and Battle to both become gems.
Marshall as a key forward / second ruck, Battle as a taller clone of Membrey.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Not kick-it-to-Roo. Let try and move forward shall we. You turn into salt looking backwards

Wombat15
Club Player

honestly id go
Paddy at FF and go Pagans paddock style.
Bruce and Membrey as the lead up targets. then 3 smalls. I think they have to experiment with 2 Rucks. See if they can just rotate Longer and Hickey off the bench (or down forward) when Rooey is up the ground and Bruce or Paddy are on the bench.