Early draft picks -Snare and delusion.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Early draft picks -Snare and delusion.

remboy wrote:There's no definitive right or wrong. Part will depend on the quality of the draft pool. I'm sure our recruiting staff will be all over the potential talent. If our picks have the potential to net some high grade talent they become more valuable. If the depth runs thin early the picks are less valuable.
Of course, there are exceptions. The Pies had two top ten picks in 2013 and ended up with Scharenburg (two ACLs) and Freeman (two years of hamstrings).
Either way, hopefully we'll draft a coupke of good kids or trade for some A grade talent (preferably midfielders with pace and skills).
That is exactly the nightmare scenario I'm afraid of, remboy.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

We need elite father sons and get them cheap.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
remboy wrote: Of course, there are exceptions. The Pies had two top ten picks in 2013 and ended up with Scharenburg (two ACLs) and Freeman (two years of hamstrings).

Exactly. Would rather trade for a quality young mid two or three years into the system. Let the other clubs sort the wheat from the chaff when they first come into the system. Our current best player was pick 42 in the draft 10 years ago. First round pick is no guarantee of anything.

Here's a link to a list of all draft picks, chronologically listed since 1986.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history
I agree with this, SB. From my experience in the recruiting game, top ten picks are no guarantee. The likes of Kelly, Sheil, Whitfield etc. would be a better bet. Exposed form, several preseasons and mature bodies. Far less risk and would fit our list profile. If we got one of those, and added a quality free agent, maybe two, we could challenge.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
st.byron wrote:
remboy wrote: Of course, there are exceptions. The Pies had two top ten picks in 2013 and ended up with Scharenburg (two ACLs) and Freeman (two years of hamstrings).

Exactly. Would rather trade for a quality young mid two or three years into the system. Let the other clubs sort the wheat from the chaff when they first come into the system. Our current best player was pick 42 in the draft 10 years ago. First round pick is no guarantee of anything.

Here's a link to a list of all draft picks, chronologically listed since 1986.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-history
I agree with this, SB. From my experience in the recruiting game, top ten picks are no guarantee. The likes of Kelly, Sheil, Whitfield etc. would be a better bet. Exposed form, several preseasons and mature bodies. Far less risk and would fit our list profile. If we got one of those, and added a quality free agent, maybe two, we could challenge.
Yep I reckon so too. Petracca was going to be a "total gun" and the pundits were salivating over him. Then we took Paddy and he was the next big thing. Remains to be see if either of them will realise the dreams of the people who selected them. Guys who have been in the system a year or three and have proven they are going to be top end quality, I'd be trading for one of them or even two of them if we could trade both our first rounders plus players. Then add a high quality FA. Our midfield would be transformed.