AFL Footy cards, confused

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stjohnc
Club Player

AFL Footy cards, confused

My 6 yr old grandson has started taking an interest in footy (another saint supporter) so I have bought some AFL SELECT cards from the local supermarket at $2.99 a pack. These are labelled AFL endorsed
I now notice that there is another set of AFL TEAM 2017 (team coach cards), same price and also labelled AFL endorsed
I have also found BASE SETS for both sets on ebay for about $20.00 for over 200 cards
Which should I be getting and why is the BASE SET so much cheaper
Should I stick to one set, buy some of both or just get a base set.
I've never collected cards and would appreciate some feedback
Thanks

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: AFL Footy cards, confused

StJ, I have boys aged 10 and 9, Teamcoach (this year's album is lurid green) is the preferred trading option. This has been the case since my oldest was in Kindergarten.

The Select cards come out earlier in the season but they aren't as "valuable" in trading currency (at least in the school grounds).

Don't know about the base sets; they haven't figured on our trading horizon!

Stick with the lurid green ones and hope they crack a pack with a Magic or Star Wild ...

Always loyal
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Just my 2 cents worth - STOP IT NOW!!!

I have cards all over the place - if your kids are interested in some of the older ones - PM me

TEAM COACH all the way!!! Select are for posers

But on the $20.00 for a base set - you can buy a box for $90.00 usually - that has 32 packs in it - it will have generally a full base set, some silvers and golds - the way it is split up usually allocates $50.00 for the Star/Magic Wild Card, $30.00 for the Gold Cards and $15.00 for the Silvers, $20.00 for the base set giving $25.00 per box - unless of course you get one of the much sought after cards, then you can get $100.00 for the Star/Magic Wildcard

But - if you are going to collect them - funnel their energy into collecting all of the cards for St Kilda (common, silver, gold, wild) and frame at least one set with the kids membership card - it makes a fantastic talking point - we have at least 5 years of all of the St Kilda cards including the fabled Prize Cards.

The pragmatist in me tells you to buy two boxes of the cards and give them one or two a week (One box for Child A - One for Child B, do not mix them, do not confuse them - if one child gets 2 Wilds and the other gets none the world will end, and at least then you will know that if one get the wild before the other that the second will be coming) - that way they are guaranteed at least one Star/Wild Card per $90.00 - as opposed to the chance of getting more than one in the 30 packs that they buy, but much more likely them not getting any at all.

Remember the exchange rate in the school yard thaough

1 Wild Card = 25 Gold
1 Gold = 2 Silver

Only trade Common for Common

BUT SERIOUSLY - Get them collecting Silver Coins - Can get some nice AFL ones - or branch out - an acquaintance of mine purchased one of his silver coin for $150.00 from the mint - it is now trading for $1,500.00 on Ebay - I am thinking of trying my luck!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
stjohnc
Club Player

Thanks guys for your info. Have taken your advice on board