A message to the "rest Roo" brigade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

A message to the "rest Roo" brigade

Poor Rooey needs a rest so says many.

Poor Rooey- and he's clearly sore but is often that way - still had 19 effing possies and kicked 3 effing goals.

So let's "rest Rooey" against the Dogs and get torn a really big hole that can't be stitched together. Why bother with finals this year eh?

Rooey is tougher than titanium nails - he knows he's got a week off in a fortnight and that will do just fine thank you very much b

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: A message to the "rest Roo" brigade

If we're not going to rest him he needs to play wing. We badly missed Bruce crashing packs today and we've had no problems fitting he, Paddy and Membrey in the same forward line before.

Bruce chf, Paddy ff, Membrey flank or pocket. The rest can pick up the crumbs.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Poor Rooey needs a rest so says many.

Poor Rooey- and he's clearly sore but is often that way - still had 19 effing possies and kicked 3 effing goals.

So let's "rest Rooey" against the Dogs and get torn a really big hole that can't be stitched together.
Wow. You have so much faith in the other players at the club. Without Roo we will be "torn a big hole". The whole universe will disappear without Roo apparently as he'll leave an unfillable black hole. Sorry how many flags did Rooey win us? Was it five or six? I must have lost count.

Yeah he should kick 3 - he has so much ball kicked to him and he screams at anyone who doesn't kick it to him. He would have to be one of the players with the most ball kicked to him in all time forever eternity.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't rest Riewoldt for his sake.

If I was to rest him, it'd be because he can't run and is a liability in that state and/or is taking the spot of a young guy.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

He looks to have righted himself this week, looked a sore for the Hawthorn GWS and Carlton games.

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:He looks to have righted himself this week, looked a sore for the Hawthorn GWS and Carlton games.

Great. If that's the case he can go back to playing wing like last season.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

So let's "rest Rooey" against the Dogs and get torn a really big hole that can't be stitched together.
Wow. You have so much faith in the other players at the club. Without Roo we will be "torn a big hole". The whole universe will disappear without Roo apparently as he'll leave an unfillable black hole. Sorry how many flags did Rooey win us? Was it five or six? I must have lost count.

Yeah he should kick 3 - he has so much ball kicked to him and he screams at anyone who doesn't kick it to him. He would have to be one of the players with the most ball kicked to him in all time forever eternity.
Are you serious? One of the greats of the club and this is your summary of him? Mind boggling.

citywest

So let's "rest Rooey" against the Dogs and get torn a really big hole that can't be stitched together. Why bother with finals this year eh?

Rooey is tougher than titanium nails - he knows he's got a week off in a fortnight and that will do just fine thank you very much b
His knee is gone and should retire at the end of the season. He is 35 FFS and while he is playing he is stopping our forward line from growing.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Are you serious? One of the greats of the club and this is your summary of him? Mind boggling.
It's a (slightly absurd) response to this glorification of Roo as being required for us to win games. Without him we will collapse apparently. All players have strengths and weaknesses and to deny that is crazy. Roo has amazing strengths but he also takes up huge volumes of space on the forward line when we have good young forwards we need to develop. Players tend to kick it to him so much as he's runs so hard making many, many leads, and as captain with huge authority players just tend to go to him. I don't think that is healthy. We need to consider the future.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

He cant pull up or turn because of his knees. He owes us nothing and it breaks my heart to see him in pain. Would imagine he will be having knee replacements by the age of 40. He also finds it hard to get up if he goes to ground, and the fact that opposition players just canon into him doesnt help.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: Players tend to kick it to him so much as he's runs so hard making many, many leads, and as captain with huge authority players just tend to go to him. I don't think that is healthy. We need to consider the future.
Do they really kick it to Roo, or is it a case of the fact that he has suck an aerobic capacity, and desire to complete, that he 'makes it to EVERY contest'. I have recently watched some Roo and Kosi games, and I think it would have succeeded more if Kosi was allowed to just paly the FF role and Roo the high CHF role. We got crowded in the forward 50 because Roo could get to so many contests. I fear the same thing happening whenever Roo is in our forward 50 now.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Bluthy wrote: Players tend to kick it to him so much as he's runs so hard making many, many leads, and as captain with huge authority players just tend to go to him. I don't think that is healthy. We need to consider the future.
Do they really kick it to Roo, or is it a case of the fact that he has suck an aerobic capacity, and desire to complete, that he 'makes it to EVERY contest'. I have recently watched some Roo and Kosi games, and I think it would have succeeded more if Kosi was allowed to just paly the FF role and Roo the high CHF role. We got crowded in the forward 50 because Roo could get to so many contests. I fear the same thing happening whenever Roo is in our forward 50 now.
Great point SD - his ability to get to contests is almost unparalleled - but should he get to them all?. I feel like under GT who was close to obsessed with Rooey, Rooey was given licence to just go anywhere and everywhere at all times as he saw fit and that maybe he never really got the complex forward line instructions he should have in his development period.

But forward lines need to be structured just like backlines. Every one has to play their role where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and you have failsafe system in place. Rooey is almost his own part - a huge, phenomenal part for shizzle but does he fit in with the other forwards as good as he could have his whole career? And the best teams really share the ball and load around which gets everyone involved and energised and much harder to stop.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

First centre bounce of the game, Seb Ross gets the clearance kicks to the vicinty of Roo. Roo & his opponent chase the footy and Roo is already hobbling 20 seconds into the game. He needs to be rested.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The trouble is if you do rest him, who do you bring in to replace him? From all accounts Josh Bruce did not set the world alight yesterday. Marshall apparently did not play.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we are fair dinkum about getting into the 8 and impacting at the end of the year then it makes sense to rest certain players. I would have thought that resting Roo was smart and also helps give others opportunities at the same time. Just relying on the bye is bulltish!! Roo had a serious injury and after getting back into the team he does not look 100%.

It's getting to a stage where everything this footy club does needs to be focussed on team and not on individuals. Richo made a statement a few weeks back which was disturbing to me because he said that the match committee had planned to rest Roo, but "Rooy wanted to play" What sort of message is that giving to the players...you are all equal except some are more equal than others!! You are all managed and you are all accountable except some get a game if they say so.

The Kangaroos last year retired Boomer, Petrie, and Dal Santo. Could all have played on? Were they still players that could play at the highest level, and could all 3 have been in the best 22 for North Melbourne? Of course the answers to those questions is yes!! The problem is that it was not in the best interest of the North team for their development and their attempts to get experience into their youngsters.

I think we need to admit that we are not quite a top 4 team just yet. If we are a bonafide top 6 team at the end of this year then maybe I am wrong, but I believe playing Roo every game is not in the best interest of our team in the near future and definitely not in the interest of the team long term.

Banger could have played on in 2009 but he knew his time was up. Just because Roo doesn't realise that his time might be up in 2017 doesn't mean the St Kilda football club needs to let the tail wag the dog. Grow a set please and make the decision for him. As I've said before, I think the marketing value to our brand from the achievements of the man have been phenomenal, but there comes a time for every champ to hang em up.

DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

I would cut Riewoldt plenty of slack. He’s had a poor patch but anyone who has provided so much is entitled to some ordinary performances. This year he has kicked multiple goals and been ‘best on’ in some games. That’s got to put him way ahead of anyone competing for his spot.
He may need a rest. He may be injured, but let’s not be too quick to write his eulogy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont really understand the OP.
The rationale behind resting Roo is actually to SUSTAIN his career.
Long season and he might even have next year to get through as well.
We need to be smart about it.

So yes I am fair and square in the 'rest Roo brigade'.

I'll be back here trolling you if he gets injured in the next few weeks dont you worry about that.

The_President
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:First centre bounce of the game, Seb Ross gets the clearance kicks to the vicinty of Roo. Roo & his opponent chase the footy and Roo is already hobbling 20 seconds into the game. He needs to be rested.

Riewoldt doesn't want to be rested.
That's the issue.

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont really understand the OP.
The rationale behind resting Roo is actually to SUSTAIN his career.
Long season and he might even have next year to get through as well.
We need to be smart about it.

So yes I am fair and square in the 'rest Roo brigade'.

I'll be back here trolling you if he gets injured in the next few weeks dont you worry about that.

You'll find that the talks of another contract next year might take a while because one party is pulling left and the other is pulling right.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:First centre bounce of the game, Seb Ross gets the clearance kicks to the vicinty of Roo. Roo & his opponent chase the footy and Roo is already hobbling 20 seconds into the game. He needs to be rested.

That's the issue.
It's not up to Roo entirely. There's a thing called a match committee.

So let's drop/rest Roo and bring in Bruce? No thanks. The only solid running player we could bring back (based on VFL form) is Savage.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:

His knee is gone and should retire at the end of the season. He is 35 FFS and while he is playing he is stopping our forward line from growing.

Thought you would be too wrapped up in the druggies game against the toasters to be posting on here.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I've thought for a long time we should have an "Idiot of the Week" award for the most idiotic post.

Trouble is, Citywest would probably dominate the award - as his post on this thread perfectly demonstrates. However, Bluthy has thrown down the gauntlet. He would clearly be he No 1 nomination for this week.

Utter rubbish.

Saint supporter since '62
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Oooh how dare we discuss if a 35 yo with his leg about to fall off should get a rest. So crazy, so bizzare. DO N0T DISCUSS THE GOLDEN BOY - HE IS OFF LIMITS TO ALL AND SUNDRY THEREIN. ANY DISCUSSION OF THE GREAT ONE'S ROLE OTHER THAN HE IS THE GOAT AND HE AND HE ALONE GETS TO DECIDE WHEN HE PLAYS AND WHEN HE RETIRES, IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH (OR AT LEAST CHEAP SHOTS ON A DISCUSION BOARD)

Yep knee is looking super brill

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Yes Bluthy, I agree. He is the Golden Child; has been given a charmed run for his last 327 games and 17 seasons. Bugger "resting" him! Sned him back to Sandy for a few weeks and make him find some form. We shouldn't be gifting games to these old blokes!!!!

8-)

Saint supporter since '62
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The_President wrote:

That's the issue.
That's the Coach's decision.