Kelly leaning to us !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barwon saint
Club Player

Kelly leaning to us !

On the news tonight Saints still into Kelly reports that he is now leaning towards us.
I would be over the moon think it suits us perfectly.Thoughts ??

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Kelly leaning to us !

barwon saint wrote:On the news tonight Saints still into Kelly reports that he is now leaning towards us.
I would be over the moon think it suits us perfectly.Thoughts ??
Media reports had him buying a house in Elwood the day after we beat the Giants,
he'd stayed in Melb to visit rellies.
And...no, Damian Flog Barrett didn't report that, so it might just be correct.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'd love to get him but the cost is a factor. What would the Giants accept? As a minimum I'd think they'd want both our first rounders this year, which I think sounds high.
The other factor is how much does he want? If North have offered $1mill a year you think we'd need to be around that mark which seems high to me. Then again there's this talk about the salary cap going up 20% so maybe we just throw the kitchen sink at him and get it done. :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely right up our alley.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:I'd love to get him but the cost is a factor. What would the Giants accept? As a minimum I'd think they'd want both our first rounders this year, which I think sounds high.
The other factor is how much does he want? If North have offered $1mill a year you think we'd need to be around that mark which seems high to me. Then again there's this talk about the salary cap going up 20% so maybe we just throw the kitchen sink at him and get it done. :D
I disagree and agree. If we end up with pick 3 from the Hawks and then say pick 10 i think that is a fractiontoo much to give up. It is equivalent to a pick 1 AND a pick 24.

My preference is we get pick 5 for Paddy. Keep pick 3. Then 5 and 10 for Kelly which is still MORE than a pick 1.

That way we get Kelly PLUS a gun KPP in the draft.

As for money.
Yeah I think $1m x 8 years is ok.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 24 May 2017 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Probably the thing in our favour is having the extra first round pick this year. Means we'll be more able to satisfy GWS. Once Steele gets into Kelly's about how great a club we are I think he will prefer us over North. Don't think $ will be the only deciding factor.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It might be why North have gone after Martin .... knowing that Kelly has decided not to accept their offer :twisted:

Treolar went to Pies for Pick 7 + future 1st rounder with a 2nd round pick coming back

Maybe a similar deal would be struck for Kelly?

Kelly + GWS's 2nd round pick ..... for ...... our 1st rounder this year (not Hawthorn's) + next years 1st rounder

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:It might be why North have gone after Martin .... knowing that Kelly has decided not to accept their offer :twisted:

Treolar went to Pies for Pick 7 + future 1st rounder with a 2nd round pick coming back

Kelly + GWS's 2nd round pick ..... for ...... our 1st rounder this year (not Hawthorn's) + next years 1st rounder
Seems reasonable.

So we get Kelly plus keep pick 2-4.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Devilhead wrote:It might be why North have gone after Martin .... knowing that Kelly has decided not to accept their offer :twisted:

GWS have already given up their second pick this year if memory serves me so might need to be next years second. I also think GWS will want Hawthorn's pick. Kelly was a number 2 pick and has already shown he is worth it. They'd want more than our pick and next first years first.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
remboy wrote:I'd love to get him but the cost is a factor. What would the Giants accept? As a minimum I'd think they'd want both our first rounders this year, which I think sounds high.
I disagree and agree. If we end up with pick 3 from the Hawks and then say pick 10 i think that is a fractiontoo much to give up. It is equivalent to a pick 1 AND a pick 24.

My preference is we get pick 5 for Paddy. Keep pick 3. Then 5 and 10 for Kelly which is still MORE than a pick 1.

As for money.
Why would we trade Paddy? Seriously is this a joke.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Why would we offer the Wogans our two first round picks? Kelly will be out of contract. If he walks, we have the cap space to front load a contract to keep all other suitors at bay. And if he walks... the Wogans lose a No 2 draft pick for donuts. (And don't remind me of Luke Ball. :oops: )

They can have our No 2 draft pick from the Dawks, and think themselves lucky.

Bloody AFL bastard love child franchise. :evil:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Great news if it comes to fruition. If we get him and can keep one of this years 1st rounders we have done well.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:

GWS have already given up their second pick this year if memory serves me so might need to be next years second. I also think GWS will want Hawthorn's pick. Kelly was a number 2 pick and has already shown he is worth it. They'd want more than our pick and next first years first.
Treolar's form at the time when he was traded is comparable to Kelly's current form - also after a quick check I think GWS still have a 2nd rounder this year as we gave them one for Steele and so did Collingwood in the Hoskin-Elliott deal

Whether him being a number 2 pick has anything to do with them getting more I don't know either way it is great news if he is warming to us as he is exactly the type of gun player we need

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Why would we offer the Wogans our two first round picks? Kelly will be out of contract. If he walks, we have the cap space to front load a contract to keep all other suitors at bay. And if he walks... the Wogans lose a No 2 draft pick for donuts. (And don't remind me of Luke Ball. :oops: )

Seems to be a few other clubs with war chests filling fast - whether they are ready to use them is another thing

Reckon we will want to hold on to that Hawks pick (if its between 1 and 4) and try and please GWS in other ways 8-)

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

As for money.
If anyone is crazy enough to give us pick 5 for Paddy I would not even think about it.
I would just sign.
But that will never happen.
I think for Kelly we would have to give up our Hawthorn 1st round pick then swap our 1st round for GWS 1st round.
We could then bundle our 3rd and 4th rounders with North's 4th rounder as steak knifes.
We have already sold our 2nd rounder to get Steele.
That would leave us with only one pick so we would need two rookie upgrades or do what Hawthorn did and take a wild pick after everyone else.
But lets not forget to grab Nat Fyfe for money but no picks.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

As for money.
Because Paddy is likely to be no better than Jack Watts.
So pick 5 is way excessive so take it.
If we get a fair offer for Paddy 3rd rounder then why would we ?
If we get 5 we could use it to get a better prospect key forward.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Devilhead wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:Why would we offer the Wogans our two first round picks? Kelly will be out of contract. If he walks, we have the cap space to front load a contract to keep all other suitors at bay. And if he walks... the Wogans lose a No 2 draft pick for donuts. (And don't remind me of Luke Ball. :oops: )

Seems to be a few other clubs with war chests filling fast - whether they are ready to use them is another thing

Reckon we will want to hold on to that Hawks pick (if its between 1 and 4) and try and please GWS in other ways 8-)
"whether they are ready to use them is another thing" is an excellent point DH!

And if (like Nuff Nuff) they aren't ready to use it but still do, then more fool them. Nuff Nuff is on the decline (after never going to have been good enough to win a flag). Them going all out to get a Kelly would be akin to when Carlscum got that Chicken Wing bloke. They weren't ready. Cost them Kennedy, and moved them back a few draft places by delaying their fall.

I also love your idea of keeping our Dawk's pick. Just can't see how(?) And ideas? Sure, we could walk Kelly to the preseason draft with a contract offer others can't match, but that would be an absolute last resort, IMHO. We seem to have a pretty good relationship with the Wogans. So I reckon that's worth maintaining... as we'll be shopping with them again. :twisted:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

As for money.
Because Paddy is likely to be no better than Jack Watts.
So pick 5 is way excessive so take it.
If we get a fair offer for Paddy 3rd rounder then why would we ?
If we get 5 we could use it to get a better prospect key forward.
21 year old key forward with 20 games that's broke his collarbone in one of his first two seasons and you've written him off.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

If Paddy is going to be only a Jack Watts level player then we should trade him right now for whatever we can get!

But whatever Paddy's current issue/s, he doesn't deserve to ever be lumped in with that soft lazy dud Jack Watts. Nobody does.

(Is that what our blokes said to tanti boy? "You play like Jack Watts."

Ouch! :lol: )

stonecold
SS Life Member

As I reported earlier, Josh deciding between staying and coming to us!!!!!

The good news is: it's us!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

stonecold wrote:As I reported earlier, Josh deciding between staying and coming to us!!!!!

The good news is: it's us!!!!!
He still has a lot of time to decide...Nov 1, IIRC or I could be wrong

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn's 1st rounder and our future 1st for Kelly and a 2nd round pick this year. Make it happen, Ameet!

We would go to the draft this year with a pick in each round, not to mention we should get something for offloading one of our rucks.

2018 finals team

B: Webster, Brown, Geary
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, Newnes
C: Riewoldt, Steele, Kelly
HF: Acres, Bruce, Gresham
F: Billings, McCartin, Membrey

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Ross
Int: Stevens, Sinclair, Gilbert, Weller

That team could win a flag.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
, not to mention we should get something for offloading one of our rucks.
I would not get your hopes up too highly. Longer still struggles around the ground.

And the banning of the third man up has affected Hickey. Longer too.

And things may get worse yet.

If the umps get their way the bounce will be banned.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... a875579755

If so, the ball will only be thrown up like we had in the Demons match, and that would further hurt both Hickey and Longer. Max and Sandi the big winners and ruckmen the height of Hickey and Longer the big losers.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I would not get your hopes up too highly. Longer still struggles around the ground.

And the banning of the third man up has affected Hickey. Longer too.

And things may get worse yet.

If the umps get their way the bounce will be banned.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... a875579755

If so, the ball will only be thrown up like we had in the Demons match, and that would further hurt both Hickey and Longer. Max and Sandi the big winners and ruckmen the height of Hickey and Longer the big losers.
Honestly I'm not too concerned about the rule changes. No doubt the sub-205cm ruckmen will adapt and learn to mitigate the disadvantage from the third-man-up rule, and there are only a handful of rucks in the competition with the height to have any significant advantage from it. Gawn - yes, though he has been incredibly injury prone. Sandi is in the last season either this year or next. Smith and Witts - both average. I think we are really missing Hickey's around the ground contribution and ability to win contested ball right now. Longer on the other hand rarely loses a hitout but rarely touches the ball around the ground - he does have scope for improvement and should fetch us a mid-late twenties draft pick. I think if we decided to keep Longer and trade Hickey his value would be more like a late-teens/early twenties pick.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

It is nice to dream but lets be real. The season is a long way top go and many things will happen between now and the end of the year. Plus the amount of players rumoured to be coming to this club is a bit insane. I've heard Fyfe, Rockliff, Dustin, Kelly, Whitfield just int he last week.