Team v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Team v dogs

maverick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Acres to push forward I think.

Plus Carlisle I have a feeling will be told to sneak forward when he can on occassion.
I reckon Carlisle might play a fair bit forward this week, dogs have named a very small forward line
I think there were suggestions that Jake didn't like playing Fwd for Bombers, or was that just the Ruck?
He seemed really stoked to get that goal in Tassy...
very nice steal. Not sure if he wants to be a target up fwd

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:
Again we are set up to have just too many passengers against a side that dies not have passengers

Then there is Longer!!

What will their rucks do to him around the ground?
They're playing a first game ruckman, English. Let's just hope Billy gives him a worthy initiation

Always loyal
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
maverick wrote:

Plus Carlisle I have a feeling will be told to sneak forward when he can on occassion.
I reckon Carlisle might play a fair bit forward this week, dogs have named a very small forward line
I think there were suggestions that Jake didn't like playing Fwd for Bombers, or was that just the Ruck?
I am sure he will not mind to do it for cameo performances or occasional games.

If he pushes forward on occasion it will take some of the heat off Paddy.

It is also very important that Membrey has a good game as I am sure that he will be the forward that will take the most marks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lintonstreet
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
skeptic wrote:So Weller survives again eh
He's the best pressure forward we have so highly unlikely he will be dropped anytime soon.
I'd say on performance this season, he's behind Wright, Minch and heck even Gresh who may not be as good a pressure player but is more effective nonetheless.

Would rather Dunstan in the team on form at the moment
Thank goodness the coaching staff and I have a different view of Mav's contribution than you.

realdeal
Club Player

Not entirely impressed with our selections the past two weeks..

We've gone from having a severely undersized defense to having a undersized fwd line..
A 188cm Membrey as a key fwd,
an inexperienced and under confident McCartin.
Membrey should be our third 'tall' fwd but now we also take Roo out of the equation.
Add to this Longer's complete inability to play anywhere but in ruck contests..

You'd imagine that Weller plays another MIA game he'll be back at Sandy.

Kind of game I can imagine Gresham having a big one..

However..In saying all of this, with the Dogs lack of tall fwds themselves, is there a chance that the versatile Carlisle has to play in different positions this week?? :idea:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

No roo no Bruce this becomes a critical test for paddy

#1 Ryder fan
realdeal
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
maverick wrote:

You beat me to it Mav.. re: Carlisle.

I believe the problem Carlisle had was that he was made to play as a permanent forward, not that he refused to play anywhere but defense.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

is Richo forcing our midfield, by way of on field development, to not bomb it long, work it in, and find a target on the chest?
run the risk of Wood having a field day. just hope Acres, Steele, and Stevens can take some, as all are tallish and strong above the head.
glad for Savage he deserves his spot.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:is Richo forcing our midfield, by way of on field development, to not bomb it long, work it in, and find a target on the chest?
run the risk of Wood having a field day. just hope Acres, Steele, and Stevens can take some, as all are tallish and strong above the head.
Carlscum is nowhere near as good as Doggies,
but their Docherty took about 300 intercept marks or appeared to grab everything, even with Bwoose, Roo and Skunk in the pack.

Easton Wood will just be thinking "How good's this?" at halftime when he's clunked a dozen or so.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

lintonstreet wrote:
skeptic wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
He's the best pressure forward we have so highly unlikely he will be dropped anytime soon.
I'd say on performance this season, he's behind Wright, Minch and heck even Gresh who may not be as good a pressure player but is more effective nonetheless.

Thank goodness the coaching staff and I have a different view of Mav's contribution than you.
Were you were the guy that suggested that Mav was just about to become elite?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
skeptic wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

yep, he said Mav was on the cusp of "elite" and here is the post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91866&p=1648977&hilit=Mav#p1648977

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:
skeptic wrote:
lintonstreet wrote:

yep, he said Mav was on the cusp of "elite" and here is the post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91866&p=1648977&hilit=Mav#p1648977

I really want to reiterate here... I actually thought he was in the cusp of getting into that group at the start of the season too. I thought he was SUPERB last season and I rate him.

But he just hasn't produced this season.

I don't want him cut from the list... just to go back, find some form and come back and play the type of footy we know he's capable of.

No special treatment

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:

I really want to reiterate here... I actually thought he was in the cusp of getting into that group at the start of the season too. I thought he was SUPERB last season and I rate him.

I don't want him cut from the list... just to go back, find some form and come back and play the type of footy we know he's capable of.

No special treatment
Well you want him dropped. But who would you bring in?

Wright not playing this week.
Long not ready.
Lonie certainly has been worse that Weller this year.

rice is probably the most deserving player outside the 22 picked who could play, but he has not played forward at all and so is not an option to replace Weller.

Despite Weller not being as polished as in recent years he has still won plenty of the ball.

It would seem to me that to play someone else in place of Weller would be special treatment for that player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:Meatball in for Dunstan is a good move.

I have serious worries that we won't be able to move the ball from the back half because we won't have anything to kick to.

I'm interested in seeing how we set up. Weller and Membrey leading off half forward, McCartin deeper?

For a team that relies heavily on banging it in deep and long, we don't have much aerial power. Here's hoping we can beat their press and hit some targets.
It is a ridiculous setup.
Paddy showed last week that if he plays don't expect much, certainly don't count on him to dominate with high marking or even bringing the ball to ground.
Membrey is valuable when he has one opponent but make him compete against two opponents and his output could plummet.
Without Riewoldt we need another tall up forward.
I only hope that we listed Bruce as an emergency because we actually intend for him to play.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
millarsaint wrote:is Richo forcing our midfield, by way of on field development, to not bomb it long, work it in, and find a target on the chest?
Carlscum is nowhere near as good as Doggies,
but their Docherty took about 300 intercept marks or appeared to grab everything, even with Bwoose, Roo and Skunk in the pack.

Easton Wood will just be thinking "How good's this?" at halftime when he's clunked a dozen or so.
Easton Wood likely to be best on ground given our selected forward setup.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

This team just makes no sense.
Slow FF and no CHF
The plan must be kick it to a double teamed McCartin, hope that he brings it to ground and have the mosquito fleet to crumb goals.

The reality is, they will just intercept mark and run off Paddy and create havoc off their half back line.

Nee!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:

Yeah, we're going in with a smallish forward line. Would not surprise if Jake goes forward.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
skeptic wrote:

No special treatment
Well you want him dropped. But who would you bring in?

Wright not playing this week.
Long not ready.
Lonie certainly has been worse that Weller this year.

rice is probably the most deserving player outside the 22 picked who could play, but he has not played forward at all and so is not an option to replace Weller.

Despite Weller not being as polished as in recent years he has still won plenty of the ball.

It would seem to me that to play someone else in place of Weller would be special treatment for that player.
Respectfully SRS, we've already acknowledged that we're not on the same page on this and I respect that.
Like I said before... would rather see Dunstan stay in the team or see a guy like Sav get a chance up forward or perhaps he or Rice could play back and u could try DMac forward or something.

I guess the point of difference here is how poorly one thinks he's playing... clearly I think he has been poorer than most on here. My feeling is my expectations on him are higher than most too rightly or wrongly

carn_sainter
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Respectfully SRS, we've already acknowledged that we're not on the same page on this and I respect that.
Like I said before... would rather see Dunstan stay in the team or see a guy like Sav get a chance up forward or perhaps he or Rice could play back and u could try DMac forward or something.

I guess the point of difference here is how poorly one thinks he's playing... clearly I think he has been poorer than most on here. My feeling is my expectations on him are higher than most too rightly or wrongly
I'm with you a little on this, skeptic. I'm ambivalent about his being played or dropped. I don't think we have a good like-for-like replacement, but Weller has underperformed this year. For me, in every game, he has been either ineffective (missing shots, missing targets, fumbling, sticking tackles) or a passenger who hasn't created anything. Neither play, nor space for others, nor defensive pressure.

He was - last year - an excellent half forward. A lead-up target, a decent crumber, great pressure and a damaging boot. He has none of that going on this season so far.

As lead-up half forwards that can command the footy, we don't have any waiting in the 2s, so I think Weller can stay in the side. But he has to find some form. And I would prefer a guy like Minchington - who can play forward (not as a lead-up target so much) and midfield over Weller if one of them had to be dropped.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Reckon we may see Paddy as the hit up around half forward.

He actually does it pretty well when he can run at the ball.

Don't really like the selections. I dunno, this just does not look like a winning formula.

Paddy is hardly in form of any type and the rest of the fwd line are kicking at under 50%.

On face value we could struggle to kick ten goals.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mullet
Saintsational Legend

I hope Koby has spilled his guts on their game plan

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon Mav's playing injured. Not moving freely and is trying to hide a limp.

Vazelos
Club Player

Carlisle may act as a swing man in this game and may spend time in the forward line.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Rooey needed a rest so no problem with that.

The non-inclusion of Bruce is puzzling though. To me the forward line lacks leadership and a hard, experienced edge.

I don't expect that from Paddy yet. He's still struggling to find his feet. Nor Membrey. That's not his go.

I sincerely hope to be proven wrong, but it's as though we've conceded this match already. And if you look at the ladder only miniscule percentage separates the Bulldogs and us. They aren't that flash.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:
skeptic wrote:Respectfully SRS, we've already acknowledged that we're not on the same page on this and I respect that.

I'm with you a little on this, skeptic. I'm ambivalent about his being played or dropped. I don't think we have a good like-for-like replacement, but Weller has underperformed this year. For me, in every game, he has been either ineffective (missing shots, missing targets, fumbling, sticking tackles) or a passenger who hasn't created anything. Neither play, nor space for others, nor defensive pressure.

He was - last year - an excellent half forward. A lead-up target, a decent crumber, great pressure and a damaging boot. He has none of that going on this season so far.

As lead-up half forwards that can command the footy, we don't have any waiting in the 2s, so I think Weller can stay in the side. But he has to find some form. And I would prefer a guy like Minchington - who can play forward (not as a lead-up target so much) and midfield over Weller if one of them had to be dropped.
I think this is very well put Carn Sainter...
It's a fair criticism to say I'm not considering the who will replace aspect closely enough.

It's a personal but I guess... hate seeing someone underperform this much and still play when a guy like Acres has been in and out for a few years for less.

Perhaps Acres could be that guy who plays HFF and we bring in another mid?

The thing is, if you bring in 2016 Mav into this team... it's pbly the difference btw where we are and top 4 for us at this point.