Paddy Concussed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy Concussed

Do you think the club is going to give the media anything about his condition

They want him to be a non-story

No way the club will give any oxygen to anything regarding Paddy... he is fragile ATM and the club will protect him.

There is every chance it was minor, but I can tell you, he wanted to play on, the coaches wanted him back on, the docs allowed him to warm up again ready to go... conservative approach, he showers after the mandatory test

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:His parents must be worried sick and if I were them I wouldn't let him play again
Spoke to his dad yesterday. He's concerned but not overly so. He has faith in the club medicos.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stonecold
SS Life Member

Honestly Marto, why do you have to be so negative and question everything all the time?????

Society has really damaged you, it's so sad!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
David-Lee
Club Player

I am not "bagging" Paddy.
I think fans (read this as paying members - dont support the club? Your opinion matters not) have a right to question the decisions and strategy of the club.

It is quite normal to have a high expectation of a #1 pick being something special. Many fans will compare Paddy to Nick. By this stage in season 3 Nick was awesome - his spot secure, taking marks and kicking goals. Any one can easily see the lack of performance by Paddy.

So either Nick is really special or Paddy is really average or both. Many argue Paddy is the future but give no genuine evidence as to how?!? I have looked at his stats and game influence and it is poor - average.

Can he eventually be? No one knows. The proof he has supplied at this time tells us he is not a burst runner, he has not taken game changing crucial marks and has poor footbal sense when faced with collisions.

Is there potential? I guess. But we can say the same of round 4 picks who have similar stats.

We should not tear him or any Saint down. But we can surely ask those who think he is the future of the club to provide evidence because there is none. If it is just hope - well I am with you. I hope somehow he begins to run and lead and act passionate. I hope he finds a way to beat average 3 rd man in the opposition defenses.

If you say he is the club future prove it now.
Last edited by David-Lee on Mon 26 Jun 2017 12:49am, edited 2 times in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Do so then!!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sad, no....

Just honest, forthright and don't sugar coat.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Unfortunately Paddy is a dumb footballer. You don't put your head where it's going to get knocked off especially 5 times in the last year. When is he going to f****** learn! Smart footballers don't get multiple concussions.
I'll get back to you, m, I'm heading back to find something someone else 'claimed'.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:I am not "bagging" Paddy.
I think fans (read this as paying members - dont support the club? Your opinion matters not) have a right to question the decisions and strategy of the club.

It is quite normal to have a high expectation of a #1 pick being something special. Many fans will compare Paddy to Nick. By this stage in season 3 Nick was awesome - his spot secure, taking marks and kicking goals. Any one can easily see the lack of performance by Paddy.

So either Nick is really special or Paddy is really average or both. Many argue Paddy is the future but give no genuine evidence as to how?!? I have looked at his stats and game influence and it is poor - average.

Can he eventually be? No one knows. The proof he has supplied at this time tells us he is not a burst runner, he has not taken game changing crucial marks and has poor footbal sense when faced with collisions.

Is there potential? I guess. But we can say the same of round 4 picks who have similar stats.

We should not tear him or any Saint down. But we can surely ask those who think he is the future of the club to provide evidence because there is none. If it is just hope - well I am with you. I hope somehow he begins to run and lead and act passionate. I hope he finds a way to beat average 3 rd man in the opposition defenses.

If you say he is the club future prove it now. I can easily peovide proof you are wrong.
Remember when John Butcher was 'the future'?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/port ... 9ca307cd00

David-Lee
Club Player

He cant get 20 games in a row when does that sink in? I like him. I hoped he would be amazing. But I was gutted when we didnt take Petracca as mids win seasons nowadays not big body forwards.

But really who cares? It is unlikely we will see him play many more this season but 4 or 5 would be great especially if he is focussed and appears to be passionate about the game.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It happened 5m from me, it was his poor technique that caused the contact.

No idea how to pick the footy up in a contest without going head first

As Danny Frawley said, he only had to turn his body.
That's what I was looking for. I read all this earlier today, went to the game, got home and sped through the replay, until I happened across a replay of McCartin having "no idea how to pick the footy up in a contest without going head first"...just to quote an expert.

Having sped up the replay, slowed it down, watched it about a dozen times, I don't give a rat's freckle if you claim to have been 3, 9, 27, 81 or 243 metres away, in the next postcode with a sniper's sight, or on the freakin' moon looking through the finest lens ever known, Marto, your description of what led to McCartin's head knock is complete and utter CRAP!!!

Don't care if you were standing in Spud's pocket, on his head, poking your beak out from behind his not necessarily barge arse for a man of his vintage, on top of the nearby box, absailing in off the bay breezes, in the act of landing after being dropped from a plane, or coming off 38 beers with Slobbo, you are WRONG!!

Mix naturally error prone eyesight, and we all have it, with the perversity of watching it from one angle, bundle that up with a preformed idea, and it's easy to get conned by what happens inside your own bonce.

Always doubt everything you see and read, until sufficiently corroborated to make you think that maybe you might have made a mistake, anyway.

He had to bend to take the pill, did so, didn't go to ground, and was dead stiff to cop a whack - it's that simple, and no amount of obfuscatory bulls*** about whether or not he shoulda, or shouldn'ta been, taken in the draft will change that.

I willingly fess up to being disdainful, contemptuous even, of those who may have played a CODE many, many years ago, at a suburban level, and may lay claim to having been 'involved' with some with participatory history at a higher level, or "had a chat' with such luminaries from time to time, as if such history provides such claimants with unimpeachable credibility.

It doesn't, and it gets damn boring, particularly when one sees evidence opposite to claims of the incompetence of others.

Shall I go back to your numerous statements about the inabilities of one Jack Billings?

You pontificate, and I'll watch and consider.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Sad, no....

Just honest, forthright and don't sugar coat.
Tripe.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:I am not "bagging" Paddy.

If you say he is the club future prove it now.
Utter nonsense.

People with functioning synapses do NOT compare players who began 17 or 18 years apart.

Anybody who extrapolates a future from the first 20 odd games, in this era, is a fool.

Even his 1st 20 odd games shows he can take 'crucial' marks, can run to the right places, can use the ball, can PLAY -

But, the major lingering doubt is whether we know how to develop such talent.

And, I do have my doubts about that.

FFS, the last game he played at senior level even had Paul Freakin' Roos wondering about whether we might 'notice' him when he kept working to make himself available in the right spots, and in space.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote:He cant get 20 games in a row when does that sink in? I like him. I hoped he would be amazing. But I was gutted when we didnt take Petracca as mids win seasons nowadays not big body forwards.

But really who cares? It is unlikely we will see him play many more this season but 4 or 5 would be great especially if he is focussed and appears to be passionate about the game.
What freakin' clue would you have about his passion for the goddamn game?!?!

Cheap, barely disguised ad hominem disparagements are still ad hominem disparagements, no matter how much you profess to 'hoping' he'd be "amazing".

I heard some similar today, re Billy Longer. What really stood 'proud' was the ignorance of those continually screaming those disparagements, too. Just dead set dumb people, with SFA idea what they were looking at. But, hey, we're all 'supporters'. But, by crikey, didn't they love Mav. Maybe they love his 'show'?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
BigMart wrote:It happened 5m from me, it was his poor technique that caused the contact.

No idea how to pick the footy up in a contest without going head first

As Danny Frawley said, he only had to turn his body.
That's what I was looking for. I read all this earlier today, went to the game, got home and sped through the replay, until I happened across a replay of McCartin having "no idea how to pick the footy up in a contest without going head first"...just to quote an expert.

Having sped up the replay, slowed it down, watched it about a dozen times, I don't give a rat's freckle if you claim to have been 3, 9, 27, 81 or 243 metres away, in the next postcode with a sniper's sight, or on the freakin' moon looking through the finest lens ever known, Marto, your description of what led to McCartin's head knock is complete and utter CRAP!!!

Don't care if you were standing in Spud's pocket, on his head, poking your beak out from behind his not necessarily barge arse for a man of his vintage, on top of the nearby box, absailing in off the bay breezes, in the act of landing after being dropped from a plane, or coming off 38 beers with Slobbo, you are WRONG!!

Mix naturally error prone eyesight, and we all have it, with the perversity of watching it from one angle, bundle that up with a preformed idea, and it's easy to get conned by what happens inside your own bonce.

Always doubt everything you see and read, until sufficiently corroborated to make you think that maybe you might have made a mistake, anyway.

He had to bend to take the pill, did so, didn't go to ground, and was dead stiff to cop a whack - it's that simple, and no amount of obfuscatory bulls*** about whether or not he shoulda, or shouldn'ta been, taken in the draft will change that.

I willingly fess up to being disdainful, contemptuous even, of those who may have played a CODE many, many years ago, at a suburban level, and may lay claim to having been 'involved' with some with participatory history at a higher level, or "had a chat' with such luminaries from time to time, as if such history provides such claimants with unimpeachable credibility.

It doesn't, and it gets damn boring, particularly when one sees evidence opposite to claims of the incompetence of others.

Shall I go back to your numerous statements about the inabilities of one Jack Billings?

You pontificate, and I'll watch and consider.
Wow.

takeaway
Club Player

Good on you Thommo.

Unfortunately you will always get ultra negative posters who must have real problems in their lives.

Best to let them go through to the keeper and move on to a more rational discussion.

<warning for baiting>

bigred
Saintsational Legend

My impression on the replay is that he bent to pick up the ball somewhat off balance, took it cleanly but copped a knee as he moved through....

Had no fkn chance to turn his body. Whoever said that has rocks in their head.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
supersaints
Club Player

Nice whack TOT ... and well deserved.

<warning for baiting>

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
stonecold wrote:
Devilhead wrote:So whats the damage on Paddy?

Was he knocked out or was he conscious laying there with his eyes closed?

Any media release from the club?

Are we just being a tad bit overly cautious with him?

Seems to be a few sports physiologist/ head injury experts on here and plenty of hindsight draft experts as well
Club says good chance to play next week, this forum is full of all sorts of experts mate, just ask them, actually no need to ask, they will tell you!!!!!
In presser tonight, Richo said he passed the cognitive test on the field. They just decided to be conservative on the day.

Another doctor (i.e. Not game day dr) is managing him and we will know more in next few days.
"Another doctor (i.e. Not game day dr) is managing him and we will know more in next few days."

We already know that a player who gets concussed this often and refuses to wear a helmet can not be relied upon to play out a grand final let alone play out a full final series.
We already know that Paddy is more prone to concussions due to type 1 diabetes.
We already know that Paddy's AFL career end is approaching if it has not already occurred.

Time to own up to mistakes and learn from them.
Pick No 1 2014 was yet another monstrous botch up by the club.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

David-Lee wrote:He cant get 20 games in a row when does that sink in? I like him. I hoped he would be amazing. But I was gutted when we didnt take Petracca as mids win seasons nowadays not big body forwards.

Wrong, good big bodied forwards are crucial when it matters, Preliminary Finals and Grand Finals.

There is such a lack of good available key forwards, meaning Richmond who desperately need one, are chasing Levi Casboult!

Whilst many here are going on and on about what a mistake Paddy was, not one has been able to articulate what we would do for a quality key forward post Riewoldt if we had taken Petracca? There certainly doesn't appear to be any quality key forwards in the forthcoming draft and there weren't any last year. So you'd be left with having to waste your time on Casboult or Tippett and pay way overs.

If you think we could get by without one, then you're kidding yourself, look at the Premiership teams of the last 20 years.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:2 metre Peter > Paddy.
No no no. Wright has no physical presence and isn't a lead up forward. Dropped a couple of sitters today and only marked on smaller opponents.
Wright is a second ruck forward, a good one but not a key forward.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Easy to whack from the the keyboard

My commentary is about McCartin

The other thommo
About me... go figure

I think that's an embarrassing retort, nonsensical and a lot of dribble to make a point.

Don't care if you agree with me

I was there, not sure if you were? But from where I stood and what I saw... it was as not a great way to attempt to win the footy... head first ... I know I don't coach that technique.

And if you make claims (is Billings) give some evidence. Which there may be (wrt work rate) but I've also stated he is a talented player from day dot.

PS
Do you feel good for personally abusing someone from the safety of your screen? Easy to give that 'whack' isn't it?!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Apparently I'm allowed to get personal back, so when I get a chance I'll retort.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Wow, people are resorting to threatening each other on this site!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Great article in the Herald today outlining Collingwoods woes and how they are suffering due to having no quality key forwards and there midfield is lost without one. Anyone with any brains will tell you that the big guys take time and they also win flags.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stonecold
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Great article in the Herald today outlining Collingwoods woes and how they are suffering due to having no quality key forwards and there midfield is lost without one. Anyone with any brains will tell you that the big guys take time and they also win flags.
Yeap indeed, but you answered your own statement with the 'any brains' comment!!!!! ;-)

PS. Also sick of 'the midgets here' commenting on how big blokes should play!!!!!