Billings has arrived

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RODOS
Club Player

Billings has arrived

Copped an amazing amount of criticism over his incredibly short career, largely due to the player taken immediately after him, but I think it's safe to say now we have a freakish player on our hands, one I believe will be worthy of his position at number 3 in his draft.

To get the numbers he does while spending most of the time in the front half, is very very impressive. And games where he doesn't get a ton of it, he can be incredibly dangerous (last week against north for example). Added to the fact that he's only completed one preseason and a ways to go tank wise, his potential is massive. He's also the best kick in our team, and one of the best in the league. Not just with his execution on either side (quick right foot pass to Mav this afternoon), but his decision making is as good as you'll get.

He's a focussed young man, he'll keep improving, and could very well end up the best of the 2013 draft.

I'm so stoked he's a sainter, he's going to give us great joy over the journey. Not to mention he was the one that convinced us to take Sinclair at #1 in the rookie draft!

There may be a few late comers, but I'm sure most of you will agree we've got a special player in JB.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings has arrived

He has amazing vision and I'd like to see his stats for score involvements. Very gifted individual and may end up being the pick of that draft.

He's one of the best examples of why you should never write off a young player. Ross is another.

Once they feel they belong at the top level look out.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Will be better than Bont. Probably there already.

An elite at 21 years old. Amazing.

This young bloke when he recontracts will be on serious coin. He will be our next captain without a doubt.

Lucky those drug cheats didn't get him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
George27
Club Player

Early last year he kicked a huge bomb on the run from outside 50, against Pies at the G. Then injuries got the better of him, and for most of the season he struggled to kick 40.

Yesterday he launched that superb long running goal from outside 50. He is fit . He mentioned in post-game interview that his body is finally up to the rigours of weekly footy. He roamed far and wide yesterday, and kept working to the next context.

He will need to keep improving of course , as teams put more time into him. Also he can still get a bit excited and fumble around goal ( missed one last week when he spent it before he had it ), but he is a beautifully gifted player who is a delight to watch. Clearly BOG yesterday.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Is it safe to say that I want more out of him?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

F*** a lot of you guys can turn on a dime. A lot were saying that we should have taken the Bont and that Billings was a bust. I think Billings has another 20% improvement in him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Becoming clear that he has the potential to be an absolute elite game turner on only a handful of possessions.

Main thing lacking from his game is consistency. If he can get that then look out.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
supersaints
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:F*** a lot of you guys can turn on a dime. A lot were saying that we should have taken the Bont and that Billings was a bust. I think Billings has another 20% improvement in him.
Sad part of Saintsational... The same group bagging just about every young player and writing them off prematurely , same idiots wanted Seb Ross delisted a couple of years ago

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... 1=S&fid2=S

looking good!

but yeah break out season for the boy.

If we could have had one or two more break outs eg Mackenzie or White (or both) i'd be feeling more comfortable.

Still him, Ross and Sinclair have all taken their games up a notch this season which has been great.

#1 Ryder fan
RODOS
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:F*** a lot of you guys can turn on a dime. A lot were saying that we should have taken the Bont and that Billings was a bust. I think Billings has another 20% improvement in him.
Not me. Always a fan of him and Paddy! Just check the history..

I reckon you're right re the 20 percent, which is pretty exciting. He's gonna get 'sat on' more, but as a forward he's already used to it

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I was REALLY hoping Mackenzie was going to get some games this year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I've never been worried about him making it, his 10th game of AFL as an 18 year old he had 25 & 8 marks, kicked 3 goals and picked up a brownlow vote.

It's good to remember that he's been playing in a pretty average side for his first 50 games, he could become one of the most damaging players in the comp if playing in a good side.

People need to chill out, it was only a few weeks ago that many people wanted to ship him off for a can of coke, same goes for Paddy - even if Petracca was the best choice, we need to give Paddy the time it takes for key forwards to develop without slamming him for every poor game along the way.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

have always been a supporter of Billings (and Paddy for that matter).

Was a bit worried about billings in the first few games of this season given the preseason training reports having him flying

he has now shown what he can be

#1 Ryder fan
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Knew he has had in him, ever since that Bulldogs game in 2015

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: People need to chill out, it was only a few weeks ago that many people wanted to ship him off for a can of coke, same goes for Paddy - even if Petracca was the best choice, we need to give Paddy the time it takes for key forwards to develop without slamming him for every poor game along the way.
/saintsational

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:...Yesterday he launched that superb long running goal from outside 50...
He kicked it from 51 metres out, which is the same distance as a set shot from about 40 metres - because he kicks the ball low. We don't have too many players who can kick a goal with an opponent on the 50m line. The Suns are a bottom 4 side, so we should not get too carried away. A better guide was our game against GWS. It was our last quarter that won that game and our midfield which produced the result. Jack played well in that game ( 2 goals 3 behinds) - we kicked 16 12 - the only time this year where, in game that we were in the frame to win, we made the most of the majority of our chances. That is the all too apparent secret to the AFL this year - take your chances. So far, it has only cost us one game this year - against WCE.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Not jumping on the bandwagon, have been on it for a long while. I was strenously disagreed with when I suggested we SHOULD have taken him ahead of Bontempelli. I am delighted that he is starting to prove that he is a superior player to Bontempelli and I doubt Petracca will ever get near him.

I'm also backing Paddy, the naysayers are still on about him but have gone quiet on Billings.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

I think he's our 2nd best ATM

saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
Sad part of Saintsational... The same group bagging just about every young player and writing them off prematurely , same idiots wanted Seb Ross delisted a couple of years ago

Or traded. A joke really. Some wouldn't know a footballer from a pumpkin.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
supersaints wrote:

Or traded. A joke really. Some wouldn't know a footballer from a pumpkin.
What's a pumpkin?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Agreed

I think he's our 2nd best ATM
Pretty sure you called him a big time passenger two weeks ago after he had 25 touches, half contested.

stonecold
SS Life Member

JB is arriving, yes, he's been really good, no doubt and well done to Jack, but he still has a lot of upside and improvement yet. Credit to Jack and the coaching staff for identifying and addressing some weaknesses and working on them!!!!!

PS. How many games has he played now? 50-60?????

Not 20, that's for sure!!!!!

Young players need time, taller blokes more so!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Any criticism relating to his efforts in the Adelaide game were definitely warranted.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Any criticism relating to his efforts in the Adelaide game were definitely warranted.
Not really, as there were probably 10-15 worse than him on the night, it would appear that you are trying justify your regular criticisms.

He's 21 years old, just reached 50 games… and in a match where we were flogged 16 goals to 7 he was one of our better players: we had 17 inside 50's less than the opposition and he managed 25 touches at 84 %, 13 contested… 6 inside 50's and was one of only 4 goal scorers…

Obviously not his best game, yet he still had more possessions than Petracca has managed in any match so far so to single him out in that game is pretty odd TBH.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Any criticism relating to his efforts in the Adelaide game were definitely warranted.
Not really, as there were probably 10-15 worse than him on the night, it would appear that you are trying justify your regular criticisms.

He's 21 years old, just reached 50 games… and in a match where we were flogged 16 goals to 7 he was one of our better players: we had 17 inside 50's less than the opposition and he managed 25 touches at 84 %, 13 contested… 6 inside 50's and was one of only 4 goal scorers…

Obviously not his best game, yet he still had more possessions than Petracca has managed in any match so far so to single him out in that game is pretty odd TBH.
He jibbed it bad when the heat was on.