Scott Watters - share your stories!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters - share your stories!

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... 804/page-3

A great read.

Anyone have some stories of this nutcase??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott Watters - share your stories!

A great read? Hardly. It's an era of the club I wish to forget.

One thing I learnt from looking from your link was seeing how many former forumites here have crossed over to the gronks on BF.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:A great read? Hardly. It's an era of the club I wish to forget.

One thing I learnt from looking from your link was seeing how many former forumites here have crossed over to the gronks on BF.
Shame how many have left here. Bit of a desert now on SS

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Sainternist wrote:A great read? Hardly. It's an era of the club I wish to forget.

Shame how many have left here. Bit of a desert now on SS
It is a shame. I don't see the appeal of BF. It's where the likes of CityWest should remain in exile.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

They are still around ...... lurking 8-)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

May have been a good coach if he got the chance, if some of the senior players didn't white-ant him at the time. Might have got a flag had he have gone to Hawthorn instead. Let's move on.

Darth Vader
Club Player

spert wrote:May have been a good coach if he got the chance, if some of the senior players didn't white-ant him at the time. Might have got a flag had he have gone to Hawthorn instead. Let's move on.
Talk to anyone involved at the club at the time and the reports are pretty consistent - weird bloke, crap coach. If the players white-anted him it was because they could see the final years of their careers going down the drain. Don't blame them.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:May have been a good coach if he got the chance, if some of the senior players didn't white-ant him at the time. Might have got a flag had he have gone to Hawthorn instead. Let's move on.
Surely, you jest!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Feel like vomiting

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Surely, you jest!
I will say this...

I vividly remember being frustratingly perplexed on a weekly basis by what was going on at the selection table... players promoted pit of the Sandy 2s, being played in one position in the 2s another in the seniors, moderate performers being dropped ahead of players that weren't getting a touch, players in the 2s starring for weeks on end and being overlooked by players that weren't performing.

I liked his list management from year to year but that's about the only nice thing I can say about him

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Clearly the Board rated him as they gave him the job.
So he cant have been all bad. Someone liked and rated him.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Poor old Scott Waters

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Vazelos
Club Player

He was two faced and a back stabber.
Tell one thing to your face and another behind...
When you are preaching values and character to young men to build a team culture it's impossible to take a group on a journey when you lack it yourself.
I recall a story from a board member he ran into the ground keeper and told him he was doing a great job with the surface.
When the conversation ended and the ground keeper walked off he started telling the people in his company the opposite.
Really got stuck into this guy and his work.
Needless to say that was one of his major flaws that was his undoing in the end.
Not a man to lead a club.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

My abiding memory of Mr Watters is this:

Like several hundred other brave/deluded(?) :wink: souls, I braved the elements at 5:00AM and made my way to the St Kilda boardwalk for the membership promotion video. Stood around with other Sainters waiting in the cold for the helicopter to sweep past and film us all holding up our scarves.

The filming was done in one take, and we made our way to the cafe for hot coffee and bacon and egg rolls. I was sat at the next table to where Michael Nettlefold and Scott Watters were sitting together. I sat drinking my coffee, maintaining ( for ME :roll: ) a discreet low profile, didn't want to barge in to their conversation. Next second, Nettlefold says to me "Thanks for coming along " and offers the paw! I shake his hand and say, "no worries Michael"

All this time, Watters sits there with an expression that radiates; "I'm too cool for school" and doesn't even glance at me, which I hasten to add, doesn't worry me one iota, Nettlefold then says to me: "Have you met our new coach, Scott Watters?" Just like that! I offer the paw and say "welcome aboard Mr Watters"

What I got in return was an expression from SW that hovered somewhere between being bored schitless and me trying to pick his pocket, the "handshake"( :roll: ) was a wee bit less than derisory. I was less than impressed.

Now I KNOW, these guys are professional, it's a job, meeting fans is part of the job description. I don't expect an invitation to his family barbecue, but CHRIST! I was almost 68 years old, worked all my life, brought up a family, and PAID MY MEMBERSHIP, all it needed was a WEE bit of warmth in the handshake.

On the other hand, my granddaughter and I attended open training at Moorabbin shortly after Richo was appointed as coach. He was walking around the boundary, signing autographs and chatting to people. I was amazed, ( and a little humbled ) when he stopped, signed my autograph book and posed for a photo with me. THEN, when hearing my accent, asked me why I'd turned to AFL? Why the Saints? How long had I been in OZ? AND...(quote) " did I still follow Liverpool FC?" I had to educate him by pointing out there are TWO teams in Liverpool! :lol:

Now folks, I KNOW it's not a popularity contest for coaches, BUT when a coach spends time with fans, and takes an interest in them, then I feel they are part of the club!

Watters? Well just how many coaching jobs were offered to him post-Saints? Same goes for Neeld?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Vazelos
Club Player

AR is well known to be an outstanding person in the industry..
Genuine and one of the nice guys... I have met him several times and had similar experiences.
Thejiggingsaint are you a scouser?
I was in Liverpool December last year, I'm part of the Red army..

derby Street
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:My abiding memory of Mr Watters is this:

Like several hundred other brave/deluded(?) :wink: souls, I braved the elements at 5:00AM and made my way to the St Kilda boardwalk for the membership promotion video. Stood around with other Sainters waiting in the cold for the helicopter to sweep past and film us all holding up our scarves.

The filming was done in one take, and we made our way to the cafe for hot coffee and bacon and egg rolls. I was sat at the next table to where Michael Nettlefold and Scott Watters were sitting together. I sat drinking my coffee, maintaining ( for ME :roll: ) a discreet low profile, didn't want to barge in to their conversation. Next second, Nettlefold says to me "Thanks for coming along " and offers the paw! I shake his hand and say, "no worries Michael"

All this time, Watters sits there with an expression that radiates; "I'm too cool for school" and doesn't even glance at me, which I hasten to add, doesn't worry me one iota, Nettlefold then says to me: "Have you met our new coach, Scott Watters?" Just like that! I offer the paw and say "welcome aboard Mr Watters"

What I got in return was an expression from SW that hovered somewhere between being bored schitless and me trying to pick his pocket, the "handshake"( :roll: ) was a wee bit less than derisory. I was less than impressed.

Good story Jiggster - understand how you must have felt both times.

Mine is SW visiting Simon McPhee Christmas morning and interrupting Simons Christmas celebrations with his family. When Simon said "fair go (or similar) ?" SW demanded he spend time with him.

Now I KNOW, these guys are professional, it's a job, meeting fans is part of the job description. I don't expect an invitation to his family barbecue, but CHRIST! I was almost 68 years old, worked all my life, brought up a family, and PAID MY MEMBERSHIP, all it needed was a WEE bit of warmth in the handshake.

On the other hand, my granddaughter and I attended open training at Moorabbin shortly after Richo was appointed as coach. He was walking around the boundary, signing autographs and chatting to people. I was amazed, ( and a little humbled ) when he stopped, signed my autograph book and posed for a photo with me. THEN, when hearing my accent, asked me why I'd turned to AFL? Why the Saints? How long had I been in OZ? AND...(quote) " did I still follow Liverpool FC?" I had to educate him by pointing out there are TWO teams in Liverpool! :lol:

Now folks, I KNOW it's not a popularity contest for coaches, BUT when a coach spends time with fans, and takes an interest in them, then I feel they are part of the club!

Watters? Well just how many coaching jobs were offered to him post-Saints? Same goes for Neeld?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:My abiding memory of Mr Watters is this:

Great story J.

Richo sounds like a top bloke.

Watters sounds like a complete wanker.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos..."part of the red army"? Don't worry mate, no ones perfect! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I spent time watching both sides playing. I was born and bred in Anfield, my pals were evenly divided between Everton & Liverpool, we all got on, and got on with it despite differing football club loyalties. It was a different way of life when I grew up in the forties and fifties in Liddypool. A lot more partisan and nastier now, sadly.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The player revolt, which it quite literally was, is completely unacceptable.

Tail wagging the dog again, like we have had for decades past.

But Watters should NEVER have been given a senior coaching job at AFL level. And that falls on the club. The guy has a particular personality that should have been identified as unsuitable.

His asshattery knew no bounds. Combine that with a board that were struggling to maintain stability and it was never going to work.

Not the first time I have heard of players actually coaching a half of football, or our best ever player demanding his head or he was going to walk.

Not a good situation.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

bigred wrote:The player revolt, which it quite literally was, is completely unacceptable.

But Watters should NEVER have been given a senior coaching job at AFL level. And that falls on the club. The guy has a particular personality that should have been identified as unsuitable.

His asshattery knew no bounds. Combine that with a board that were struggling to maintain stability and it was never going to work.

Not the first time I have heard of players actually coaching a half of football, or our best ever player demanding his head or he was going to walk.

Not a good situation.
How much of the above is rumour and innuendo that has grown legs and snowballed? (Player revolt and threatening to walk)
I'm not being sarcastic, just asking a question?
It's like the Stan Alves pushing Joe McLaren down some steps at Subiaco Oval after a WA game.
And other such rumours (not just Saints either, other clubs have rumours that grow legs too.
Honest question.

But I agree that Watters was a poor choice for coach and set the club back a long long way. Very bad for the club.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

More stories!

I love inside goss!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wish we got Mark Neeld. He would have taken us to the bottom quicker and we wouldn't have had that wasted year though pretty sure if Lyon hung around we would have made finals again.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

No matter how bad Watters was,
getting Timid Timmy Watson to coach was a huge mistake that will "dwarf" any other mistake by the Saints

:shock: :mrgreen:

(Don't mention the dwarf...I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it )

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigred
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
bigred wrote:The player revolt, which it quite literally was, is completely unacceptable.

Not a good situation.
How much of the above is rumour and innuendo that has grown legs and snowballed? (Player revolt and threatening to walk)
I'm not being sarcastic, just asking a question?
It's like the Stan Alves pushing Joe McLaren down some steps at Subiaco Oval after a WA game.
And other such rumours (not just Saints either, other clubs have rumours that grow legs too.
Honest question.

But I agree that Watters was a poor choice for coach and set the club back a long long way. Very bad for the club.
Probably quite a bit.

I had heard about a few match reviews that were more like the senior guys telling Watters to flower off. This was at the time, not just hearsay over the past few years.
And one game where they pretty much refused to play for him after half time.

His professionalism and commitment was questioned a fair bit and he was quite eccentric. On that bigfooty thread someone compares him to Malthouse, which is probably accurate. Was quite aloof and awkward at training...

Then the dwarf incident. Far out that pretty much covers it.

Watters was a massive mistake. I wish him well in his future endeavours, but wow his appointment was a monumental fcuk up.

I forgot to mention, in many ways he probably inherited a poison chalice. It would have been exceptionally hard following up Ross Lyon.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
1965 Saint
Club Player

I've posted on here before that when he won a flag with Subiaco in the WAFL, the players hated him that much that they sent him to the wrong pub for the after match celebration.