Mr. Richardson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mr. Richardson

Dave McNamara wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
And, Richo's an industry man. Nice bloke, obviously. But, how many jobs at how many clubs? Anything in his CV to stamp him as exceptional, even interesting, with the odd off the wall idea?
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

1999-2000 back to back flags coaching the mighty Ramrods! :mrgreen:

(Tragically, it's now the once-mighty Ramrods. :cry: Since Richo left for the AFL again, the Ramrods have slipped into oblivion. Currently languishing in Division 666 of the EDFL. Oh how the mighty have fallen... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: )

The OtherThommo wrote: Lyon changed things, Clarkson most definitely changed things, and keeps doing it.

Oh stop making sense! :wink: :lol: :lol:

But, who is the biggest influence on contemporary coaching trends, without doubt? It's Clarkson, right? Is he even entertaining the idea that the Dorks will have to bottom out? How are his no-names coming along? Until earlier this year I'd heard of the Dork's 'Brand', but not the Dork's 'Brand', if you get my drift.
Angry-Little-Man syndrome, I have to begrudgingly admit is a damn good coach. (Way better than his public persona. Not knowing him personally, I can't comment on what he's like in private.) However, so much in life is a matter of inches. (I'm talking proverbial inches, c/f Clark's stature. :cry: :D )
- He only just survived being Jeffed. That was back in the early days when he had the Dawks playing 'ring-a-ring-around-a-rosy' footy racking up meaningless possies in the backline, before handing the thing back to the opposition to kick another goal.)
- Then, the natives were getting very restless over the years of under-achievement that followed the 2008 flag. That PF against the Hillbillies... Dawks were in all sorts of trouble at 3/4 time, but came back due to key injuries to the Hillbillies. But even then, with seconds left to play, Varcoe steadies, yet misses from 30m out right in front. Kick that one, it's into extra time, and anything could have happened. If the Dawks had lost, A-L-M syndrome would probably have been out of a job.

As for Ro$$y changing things up, indeed he did. Could have easily had 2+ flags... inches again.

The OtherThommo wrote:So, I have a name.

Ratten.

He had F.A. cattle when he coached Carlton, yet took 'em to finals.
Thommo! Alfred E Neuman??? :shock: Puh-leeeze noooooooooo!!!

Totally uninspiring. Spent half his time barracking, not coaching. And don't forget that he also won them the Kruiser Cup. (Though I guess that was no mean feat, out-tanking the tankard masters at their own game. :evil: )

Oversaw an inept rebuild. All those prime picks, and not a decent key position player amongst them. (In fact, hardly a decent player, period.) Got Judd before the club team was 'ready', which further set back the rebuild. Sadly, SOS is now there, and they're finally on the right track. Last of the 'power' clubs to wake up to the fact that you can't go out and buy a premiership team anymore.

How about we get Ro$$y back? Con would like that. :wink: I'd like that too - it'd mean that Clarky44 would start posting again. :D

The OtherThommo wrote: And, I gotta eat.
What was on the menu? :)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Legendary
Club Player

Does anyone honestly think we have a top 4 list?

It wouldn't matter who was coaching us, we don't have the elite core needed to consistently win games.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Does anyone honestly think we have a top 4 list?

It wouldn't matter who was coaching us, we don't have the elite core needed to consistently win games.

Mods! Please post this person a warning! ( making sense is frowned on here :lol: )

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Yep. A middle rung team that needs to kill it this year at the draft/trade table.

stonecold
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:

Mods! Please post this person a warning! ( making sense is frowned on here :lol: )
Yeah, take your common sense approach somewhere else please, won't cut the mustard here!!!!! :wink:

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:

Yeah, take your common sense approach somewhere else please, won't cut the mustard here!!!!! :wink:
Can I hear an AMEN?! :lol: :lol:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Amen

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Amen, indeed (or is it Apersons, now?).
It's not as if we had a 0-10 start to the year.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Amen, indeed (or is it Apersons, now?).
It's not as if we had a 0-10 start to the year.
ooooooooh I DON'T know about THAT Colleague? :wink: :? GOOD POST!....have an emoticon! :- :!: :idea:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Tue 25 Jul 2017 10:04pm
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:Wow, sack another contracted coach?
I'm sure that will do us a world of good in securing a quality replacement.

The process was to build talent and pick off a couple of free agenets in 2018/2019.
Richo should see out his contract and his part of the process.

Like many have written on this thread, clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong started their era of success on the back of a coach who was under pressure.

I'm backing Richo for finals in 2018!
Clarkson won a flag in his 4th season.
Okay! Richo took FIVE seasons! Who's splitting hairs about THAT! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love ya jiggster, but you're dreamin'.

Only 1 Dork pushed for Clarkson - Dunstall (he was footy op's mgr, or some such, at the time).

Dunstall was a Dork man through and through. The Dorks were not far past surviving a merger attempt. But, they were dominated by Dorkmen.

We're an 'industry club'. Generally beholden, usually deferential. Wot, saved by Finnis? He's on the corporate ladder, travelling the same path as Andy the Shifty. The PA path to 'success' (wasn't he in charge when E'dope happened - obviously a solid man on employee rights?).

This game's rotten to its core. If you want an idea of what they 'value', look back no further than the recent 'office affair scandal'.

Brand management, pure and simple. Adults engaged in what adults will do, from time to time. No allegations of victimisation, no coercion. Yes, an imbalance of power, so generally smackable. But, FFS, deal with it in house.

Gill the Dill made it issue of the day - 'we are an ethical institution that brooks no challenge to our purity'. The outcome?

Public humiliation for the blokes and their families involved, and social media 'sl*t shaming' for the women, ergo instant pariahs.

And, Richo's an industry man. Nice bloke, obviously. But, how many jobs at how many clubs? Anything in his CV to stamp him as exceptional, even interesting, with the odd off the wall idea?

Nup, nowhere. Acceptable mediocrity personified.

Lyon changed things, Clarkson most definitely changed things, and keeps doing it.

Adelaide chose Don Pyke. Long career, nuttin' much had happened - in and out of acedmemia, for instance. Brisbane chose a bloke who had been what in coaching ranks?

But, who is the biggest influence on contemporary coaching trends, without doubt? It's Clarkson, right? Is he even entertaining the idea that the Dorks will have to bottom out? How are his no-names coming along? Until earlier this year I'd heard of the Dork's 'Brand', but not the Dork's 'Brand', if you get my drift.

How's their injury numbers been? Shockin'. They've played games they've won where their back 6 average age would be about 12 if Hodge wasn't back there.

So, I have a name.

Ratten.

He had F.A. cattle when he coached Carlton, yet took 'em to finals. Yet, they sacked him for Malted Milkhouse. And, who gave him a job? Clarkson.

We have to cast an eye. And, no, I'm not a believer in instant saviors.

But, I am a believer in respecting the respected, and how they decide to employ.

To put it simply, the last 2 weeks have busted my trust. We are not developing the talent we have, we play stodgy football (bar 1 or 2 games p.a., like Richmond), we have only 1 game style, no fallback, the players lack resilience as a group, and it's god damn shattering to witness.

To give you an example of what I see as significant strategic weakness, back in round 1, when we were almost humiliated by Melbourne, I told a couple of club (media) 'legends' we already had a significant weakness - we'd gone from having no big key defenders, but a group, covering defence, who would get about to turn the ball over, and send it back at pace, to a side that looked like it was happy to stand back and wait for 2 big, new key defenders to win air balls and distribute the pill to blokes hanging about the edges. If we were going to slow down in the key spots, we needed to quicken up around them. But, no siree, not us. Yes, Robbo started well. But, that soon got worked out by smart(ish) oppositions. The facts are in the list - finished 9th, last year, with some momentum, added competent talent, lost a couple who were honorably battling to the end, so a net gain and, I'm (not really) afraid to say, we ain't gonna finish with a net gain for the year (unless what's been dished up thus far was a ruse).

Anyways, it's driving me nuts. And, as I've noted before, it really is very disturbing to listen or read of people defaulting to potting individual younguns as the problem, when the problem is truly one of systematic failure. I'm a big fan of the strategic observance, and I see bugger all on offer from our 'planning department'.

And, I gotta eat.
BUMP

Probably not the best of titles or headings to bump, but kudos to our very own TOT

You got your wish big fella

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:31pm
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The process was to build talent and pick off a couple of free agenets in 2018/2019.

Like many have written on this thread, clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong started their era of success on the back of a coach who was under pressure.

Okay! Richo took FIVE seasons! Who's splitting hairs about THAT! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only 1 Dork pushed for Clarkson - Dunstall (he was footy op's mgr, or some such, at the time).

Dunstall was a Dork man through and through. The Dorks were not far past surviving a merger attempt. But, they were dominated by Dorkmen.

We're an 'industry club'. Generally beholden, usually deferential. Wot, saved by Finnis? He's on the corporate ladder, travelling the same path as Andy the Shifty. The PA path to 'success' (wasn't he in charge when E'dope happened - obviously a solid man on employee rights?).

This game's rotten to its core. If you want an idea of what they 'value', look back no further than the recent 'office affair scandal'.

Brand management, pure and simple. Adults engaged in what adults will do, from time to time. No allegations of victimisation, no coercion. Yes, an imbalance of power, so generally smackable. But, FFS, deal with it in house.

Gill the Dill made it issue of the day - 'we are an ethical institution that brooks no challenge to our purity'. The outcome?

Public humiliation for the blokes and their families involved, and social media 'sl*t shaming' for the women, ergo instant pariahs.

Lyon changed things, Clarkson most definitely changed things, and keeps doing it.

Adelaide chose Don Pyke. Long career, nuttin' much had happened - in and out of acedmemia, for instance. Brisbane chose a bloke who had been what in coaching ranks?

How's their injury numbers been? Shockin'. They've played games they've won where their back 6 average age would be about 12 if Hodge wasn't back there.

So, I have a name.

Ratten.

He had F.A. cattle when he coached Carlton, yet took 'em to finals. Yet, they sacked him for Malted Milkhouse. And, who gave him a job? Clarkson.

But, I am a believer in respecting the respected, and how they decide to employ.

To put it simply, the last 2 weeks have busted my trust. We are not developing the talent we have, we play stodgy football (bar 1 or 2 games p.a., like Richmond), we have only 1 game style, no fallback, the players lack resilience as a group, and it's god damn shattering to witness.

To give you an example of what I see as significant strategic weakness, back in round 1, when we were almost humiliated by Melbourne, I told a couple of club (media) 'legends' we already had a significant weakness - we'd gone from having no big key defenders, but a group, covering defence, who would get about to turn the ball over, and send it back at pace, to a side that looked like it was happy to stand back and wait for 2 big, new key defenders to win air balls and distribute the pill to blokes hanging about the edges. If we were going to slow down in the key spots, we needed to quicken up around them. But, no siree, not us. Yes, Robbo started well. But, that soon got worked out by smart(ish) oppositions. The facts are in the list - finished 9th, last year, with some momentum, added competent talent, lost a couple who were honorably battling to the end, so a net gain and, I'm (not really) afraid to say, we ain't gonna finish with a net gain for the year (unless what's been dished up thus far was a ruse).

Anyways, it's driving me nuts. And, as I've noted before, it really is very disturbing to listen or read of people defaulting to potting individual younguns as the problem, when the problem is truly one of systematic failure. I'm a big fan of the strategic observance, and I see bugger all on offer from our 'planning department'.

And, I gotta eat.
BUMP

Probably not the best of titles or headings to bump, but kudos to our very own TOT

Flippin' great memory ya got there, Scollop!

Always respected Ratten, going all the way back to when he and Banger used to have some titanic struggles. Ratten didn't have Banger's physical 'took kit', but always played smart.

Right, now we've got the right bloke in place, the next step is to actually manage the joint according to what he sees as important, and currently lacking.

To paraphrase what he said, from the off (indicating 'importance'), in the presser after the final game in Shyteney;

"BALL USE".

That is all.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Kudos

Nee!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Thumbs up

damienc
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Fri 06 Sep 2019 3:03pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:31pm
thejiggingsaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So, I have a name.

Ratten.

And, I gotta eat.
BUMP

Flippin' great memory ya got there, Scollop!

Always respected Ratten, going all the way back to when he and Banger used to have some titanic struggles. Ratten didn't have Banger's physical 'took kit', but always played smart.

Right, now we've got the right bloke in place, the next step is to actually manage the joint according to what he sees as important, and currently lacking.

To paraphrase what he said, from the off (indicating 'importance'), in the presser after the final game in Shyteney;

"BALL USE".

That is all.

This is bloody excellent.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legend TOT.

Anyway, the club through Lethers saw fit to bring in Ratts a year ago to make this all happen.

Maybe Lethers is da man to stop the ship sinking??

Cho was Mr Vanilla and maybe that was the right call for his first three years

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.