Mr. Richardson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mr. Richardson

I think the penny has dropped with the AFL world and amongst the players - that Richo has no clue and is bog average.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think the penny has dropped with the AFL world and amongst the players - that Richo has no clue and is bog average.
my signature shows I concur

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Happy for Richo to see out his contract next year. But you'd want some serious improvement between now and then.

We've plateaued.

Well said. Give him his fifth year but if we're not in finals (and I doubt it),
then on your bike, chum.

Yep. Have to agree. 5 yrs is enough. We can't afford to sack coaches. That's the pragmatic truth of the situation.Right now only the Jiggster would think we've improved. We haven't. At best we've plateaued

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

The board next year needs to get a panel together
to choose the next coach.
Richo can be interviewed, but it should be made clear that he isn't on any shortlist.
The panel should consist of majority of recruitment experts (ok, the usual HR folks are hopeless...)
but experts who know how to assess someone's ability to lead others and inspire others. Have one or two footy people but that's it.
The short-listed guys would already know what they need in assistants. And the assistants bring most of the footy smarts.

Picking a coach shouldn't be picking the best footy person at all, nor the best performer in an interview (see Watters)
but the head coach needs to be able to get the best out of his own coaching panel.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The Peanut wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:... Then we dsrespected Ross Lyon so gratuitously that he rightly walked...
:roll: :roll:
Let me elaborate.

We had him on a contract with a clause allowing him to be sacked with 12 weeks notice. Perhaps a reasonable Clause in the first or second year of a contract, but really shoddy thereafter. So he didn't have the security of a 3 year or whatever the term contract, he had a 12 week rolling contract! For years!

He took us to two successive GFs and could've won either or both with a smidgeon of luck and with a List nobody else would have got near there. He certainly didn't have the list GT had in 04/05.

He had become the second most successful Coach in the history of our Club and yet he remained on the 12 week rolling contract!

Do you reckon it ever occurred to the Club that they may want offer him a decent contract with NO get out clauses at the end of 2010? Of course not! Westaway, Nettlefold and Co were busy lulling and basking in the glory created by Butters, Thomas, Waldron and then Lyon.

Then early in 2011, we have a slow start, the team psychologically burnt out, a list in need of transition and we lose Lenny for the season. Lyon approaches the Club requesting a four year contract with NO get out clauses and less money than he would get at Freo. He still has the players and they respect him enormously.

His request was reasonable and it would have been a good time. Yet the Club put him off, leaving him no security whatsoever. If you don't consider that wanton disrespect, I don't know what is.

So they fob him off, he has to Coach for his career and the List transition that should've started then in early 2011 doesn't start (and wouldn't properly until 2014). Then in October 2011, the Club offers him the deal he'd asked for in April! Having given him the proverbial f**k around. Unfortunately, whilst the Club were jerking him off, Freo made a better offer.

Lyon had every right to take Freo's deal and flick the Club the bird. I would've done the same.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We need a player bigger in size than Kelly and selection stability. I think Richo is giving certain players chances and will filter out the chaff. Injuries and suspensions have hurt. The wins against GWS, Freo and Richmond show there are the green shoots of a finals team. There are too many 4/10 players e.g. Lonie (tries hard but too small, no future); Sinclair may be good long term but not strong enough and makes low percentage decisions under pressure; Longer may end up being a real star; Newnes can't play defence, not big enough, Nick may need to think about a gracious retirement, but do many champions ever know when to call time before time calls them, Joey has had enough. Paddy and Hugh next year, Marshall and Battle, natural improvement in Long and Rice and a few others that are WIP - we will be OK.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Just imagine if we hadn't "disrespected" Lyon we might have had all those trophies he won at Freo in our cabinet. I live for the day he assumes his birthright of the coach with the most games coached without a flag.
Assuming Eade gets the boot at the end of 2017 Lyon will get the title in 6 years time.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

This was a topic well discussed last night with friends

Our history says he should be fired. But our history is the reason he cant be fired.

Whos available if he goes? Buckley? ekk no thanks - yet his record W 68/L 63 51.9%
Still no.

The club needs to let him see out the commitment.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Legendary
Club Player

Pretty sure most people in the footy world thought Hardwick would have been sacked last year.

The Tigers will almost certainly finish top 4.

If the Pies hang on to Buckley, they will play finals next year.

Bomber Thompson was on the block at the Cats in his 7th year. Then he took them to 3 consecutive grand finals.

Kenny Hinkley came out of the blocks and then Port did nothing for 2 years. He's finally got them back on track.

Sacking coaches is not the answer. We are still in a development phase. Most people in the industry say positive things about Richo. He has the players on-side.

We are not in a situation where we have a premiership list but Richo is under-performing. Allan Jeans assisted by Alistair Clarkson and Leigh Matthews would not have coached this side to many more wins in 2017. We don't have the cattle because many of them are too young and still developing.

2017 is the first year since 2011 that we won 4 games in a row. Richo has improved the performance of this side every year since he started. We had the softest draw in the AFL in 2016 and we won 12 games. We had a much harder draw this year and we will win a similar number of games. We are still heading in the right direction.

Fortius quo fidelius.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Pretty sure most people in the footy world thought Hardwick would have been sacked last year.

The Tigers will almost certainly finish top 4.

If the Pies hang on to Buckley, they will play finals next year.

Bomber Thompson was on the block at the Cats in his 7th year. Then he took them to 3 consecutive grand finals.

Kenny Hinkley came out of the blocks and then Port did nothing for 2 years. He's finally got them back on track.

Sacking coaches is not the answer. We are still in a development phase. Most people in the industry say positive things about Richo. He has the players on-side.

We are not in a situation where we have a premiership list but Richo is under-performing. Allan Jeans assisted by Alistair Clarkson and Leigh Matthews would not have coached this side to many more wins in 2017. We don't have the cattle because many of them are too young and still developing.

2017 is the first year since 2011 that we won 4 games in a row. Richo has improved the performance of this side every year since he started. We had the softest draw in the AFL in 2016 and we won 12 games. We had a much harder draw this year and we will win a similar number of games. We are still heading in the right direction.

Fortius quo fidelius.
Good points! Well articulated! Kudos!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
The Peanut wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:... Then we dsrespected Ross Lyon so gratuitously that he rightly walked...
:roll: :roll:
Let me elaborate.

We had him on a contract with a clause allowing him to be sacked with 12 weeks notice. Perhaps a reasonable Clause in the first or second year of a contract, but really shoddy thereafter. So he didn't have the security of a 3 year or whatever the term contract, he had a 12 week rolling contract! For years!

He took us to two successive GFs and could've won either or both with a smidgeon of luck and with a List nobody else would have got near there. He certainly didn't have the list GT had in 04/05.

He had become the second most successful Coach in the history of our Club and yet he remained on the 12 week rolling contract!

Do you reckon it ever occurred to the Club that they may want offer him a decent contract with NO get out clauses at the end of 2010? Of course not! Westaway, Nettlefold and Co were busy lulling and basking in the glory created by Butters, Thomas, Waldron and then Lyon.

Then early in 2011, we have a slow start, the team psychologically burnt out, a list in need of transition and we lose Lenny for the season. Lyon approaches the Club requesting a four year contract with NO get out clauses and less money than he would get at Freo. He still has the players and they respect him enormously.

His request was reasonable and it would have been a good time. Yet the Club put him off, leaving him no security whatsoever. If you don't consider that wanton disrespect, I don't know what is.

So they fob him off, he has to Coach for his career and the List transition that should've started then in early 2011 doesn't start (and wouldn't properly until 2014). Then in October 2011, the Club offers him the deal he'd asked for in April! Having given him the proverbial f**k around. Unfortunately, whilst the Club were jerking him off, Freo made a better offer.

Lyon had every right to take Freo's deal and flick the Club the bird. I would've done the same.
Brilliantly put Lodger.
Ross had also had a personal financial crisis and rightly put his family first by accepting security.

Ross had his issues, such as not developing the younger players on the list such as a Tom Lynch, but show me a person on here that wouldn't put their families financial security as priority and I'll show you a liar.

Lastly Ross met his senior players and told the of his offer, they knew his personal position and were very supportive.
The players accepted, but some fans still can't.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Richo is not the main problem.
All of the coaches are at fault.
Players have gone backwards and not many have really advanced except for Ross.
Dunstan/Webster/Sinclair are slowly getting there

Going backwards are:
-Wright
-Pierce
-Weller
- Baroose
- Stuv has no impact and can't kick properly
- Lonie
-Newnes does well when the whole team is on, but he just accumulates possessions without being damaging
-Robbo (see above for Newnes)
- Hickey/Acres/DMack
-Billings (apart from Blues game when he just fluked it against rubbish opposition, normally he would kick 1.4)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Wouldn't it just be typical St Kilda mediocrity, sacking Richo and bringing in Banger as the Messiah.

If that happens many long time loyal supporters, including me, will cancel our Membership Direct Debit and turn our back on a foolish Club for good. Here's a News Flash, Robert Harvey cannot Coach!

Why don't we just f**kin' meltdown as we did in 2007? s***, Greg Westaway wants the job back!

Why not continue a great Club tradition. We got rid of Stan Alves for Timmy Watson. We threw a lorry load of cash at Blight then sacked him in half a season (only plain luck that didn't turn into a disaster). Then we dsrespected Ross Lyon so gratuitously that he rightly walked and we replaced him with Scotty Watters. Great form there! And many here want to tread the same idiotic path.
+1^25,000

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

We're very much a middle rung side at the moment. Richo's fate will be decided during the 2018 season as will a lot of the list.

noddy04
Club Player

I am ok with Richo but if we need a new coach why dont we get Dermott Brereton (he seems to know everything) and Gary Lyon (who is in the same space as Dermie) and then have con and wellard as assistants . They seem to know every thing as well

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:I am ok with Richo but if we need a new coach why dont we get Dermott Brereton (he seems to know everything) and Gary Lyon (who is in the same space as Dermie) and then have con and wellard as assistants . They seem to know every thing as well
Below the belt attack. What I do know is our list is ordinary and we don't play exciting footy.
The attendances and turnstiles don't lie.

It is not the coaches fault entirely.
Recruiters have to have a good hard look at themselves.

noddy04
Club Player

Below the belt attack Take it on the chin like it was meant. we arent the only footy club with problems. One thing i know though i wouldnt want to support any other club but OURS :D

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:I am ok with Richo but if we need a new coach why dont we get Dermott Brereton (he seems to know everything) and Gary Lyon (who is in the same space as Dermie) and then have con and wellard as assistants . They seem to know every thing as well
the club has been in talks with our managers (Con and I have the same manager)
I'm the same height as Watters, so Dermie being such a dill, he might think I'm his best mate Scotty
We'll need you to listen out for any more news, which you'd be good at, because Noddy and Big Ears go together so well

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Below the belt attack. What I do know is our list is ordinary and we don't play exciting footy.
The attendances and turnstiles don't lie.

It is not the coaches fault entirely.
Recruiters have to have a good hard look at themselves.
we seem to attract fewer through the gate than Norf, so yeah, we need to be more exciting competitive footy
if we keep losing in such a horrible way, be lucky to reach 35k members next year, very lucky.
We got 40k this year on the back of some optimism, which is now deflated by rubbish performances

noddy04
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
I'm the same height as Watters, so Dermie being such a dill, he might think I'm his best mate Scotty
We'll need you to listen out for any more news, which you'd be good at, because Noddy and Big Ears go together so well

Thats funny wellard i always had visions of you as a small little man. The old small person syndrome is alive and well in the west :D Havent heard from Big Ears for a fair while, ever since he ran away with Mr Plod :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Con - Head of Strategy
Wellard - CEO

Conduct a full review on all footy department positions

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok peeps.

So we had 42 more disposals than the Swans.
35 more handballs
7 more frees
1 more tackle

But
28 less I50s
17 less shots on goals

If anyone doesnt think we have a problem with our coaching and game style they need to have a good think about those stats.

We play ring a ring a rosey and then kick to the boundary. It is god damn awful football.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

No, I'm still optimistic that Richo can take us to getting another crack at the ultimate.

2018 is when I won't be excusing him for performances like the last two, however.
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 24 Jul 2017 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Greg T
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:He knows how to coach. How about looking at the execution of skill. He's not the one missing shots on goal. Basically Carlisle was off and got carved up by a wannabe who was just hungrier for the ball. Guaranteed that this spud will never have another 5 goal haul!! Add in Franklin and you can see the difference. If McCartin was worthy of a No 1 pick and was playing full forward then the difference wouldn't have been so great.

Perfect answer

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Ellaandjohn
Club Player

Let the guy finish his contract. We have never won a flag sacking a coach and we have sacked plenty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk