Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

Re: Jaxons come on down (2017/18 thread)

Any update on Haynes status? Has Tomlinson leap frogged ?

Would have to think HIckey or Lonie forming some part of a deal if we aren't trading 7,8.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

SMS wrote:Excellent thanks jaxons.
Was gonna say no way is tomlinson worth first round
So many options anything could happen over next 6 weeks. Exciting.
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Tomlinson for Hickey, Lonie
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Wasn't it CQ that gave us the news? Just sayin'. Credit where it's due.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
avid
Club Player

Jaxons gave us the hint
CQ guessed well,
Jaxons confirmed, thus making it news.
Not sure what all the rivalry's about.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tomlinson has a GF who is an athlete and lives in Sydney.
He may not be in any rush to leave at this stage..

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Wasn't it CQ that gave us the news? Just sayin'. Credit where it's due.
Confirmed by Jaxons. I was having an educated guess based on evidence from media. Also saw alot of social media which suggests he may be out of favour after being thrown a bone late in the season and not performing too well and late form at Port Magpies slipped away as well. Was also believing he has been in our sites for a while.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Nice work CQ. Looks a prospect, although Hugh would be a tad annoyed as he looks the same size and similar style. Would grabbing Austin be a vote of no confidence in Hugh?

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:Nice work CQ. Looks a prospect, although Hugh would be a tad annoyed as he looks the same size and similar style. Would grabbing Austin be a vote of no confidence in Hugh?
Maybe they are more concerned about his foot injury than they have let on....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:Nice work CQ. Looks a prospect, although Hugh would be a tad annoyed as he looks the same size and similar style. Would grabbing Austin be a vote of no confidence in Hugh?
Coincidently, they have both had foot injuries but Austin seems to have recovered better and has regained confidence quicker. He has also had shoulder issues early on. Obviously a good footballer and probably more versatile than Goddard. He would be a bargain trade but needs a full preseason and is probably what you would term a smokey.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Austin was drafted with pick 69 originally. Is now 22. Played 13 AFL games and plenty in the SANFL.
Our 4th round - Pick 61 seems fair.
Why would we use our 3rd rounder on him?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Austin was drafted with pick 69 originally. Is now 22. Played 13 games and plenty in the SANFL.
Our 4th round - Pick 61 seems fair.
Why would we use our 3rd rounder on him?
It would help if he asked for the trade but the risk might be in a 3 year deal. If he is gonna shine it will be next year, the last year of his current contract.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Tomlinson has a GF who is an athlete and lives in Sydney.
Maybe she wants to move to Melbourne?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Drake Huggins
Club Player

avid wrote:Jaxons gave us the hint
CQ guessed well,
No rivalry, just thought it was CQ saints call and nothing to do with Jaxons pat on the back, later call. Calm down. Not a criticism, just an observation. The old Jaxsons is taking on cult figure status, with a band of devoted followers who seem to see criticism where there is none. Happy to hear more from Jaxons on this. Is it a certainty, or are we just interested? I'm sure Hugh Goddard will be keeping a close eye on this trade if it comes off.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Tomlinson has a GF who is an athlete and lives in Sydney.
Maybe she wants to move to Melbourne?
Possible.
Just cant see how us or Collingwood could get it done.
Tomlinson is worth a 2nd round pick and neither us nor the Pies have one to use at this stage.
Seems unlikely imo.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
saints rising wrote:
Coincidently, they have both had foot injuries but Austin seems to have recovered better and has regained confidence quicker. He has also had shoulder issues early on. Obviously a good footballer and probably more versatile than Goddard. He would be a bargain trade but needs a full preseason and is probably what you would term a smokey.
Foot and toe injuries are an absolute bastard. Ask James Hird or Aaron Sandilands. Very debilitating and notoriously slow to heal. Hugh has the added disadvantage of having the old man's injury of a ruptured achilles. I've had a slow-healing foot injury and it's taken six months of serious rehab and discipline to get it right and I'm no elite athlete expected to run 15 kms every weekend.

He really is starting behind the eight ball. I rate Hugh. I saw a bit of him in juniors and he looked the goods and was touted as a top 5 pick at one stage. No wonder the trout looked shocked when he was still there at our pick 21 in the 2014 draft. His first year with about 8 games IIRC was pretty good. Very promising. I saw him play in the preseason the following year and he looked sluggish and underweight, a probable consequence of his collapse from dehydration and exhaustion on the preseason camp that year. It seems that affected him more than we care to admit. It's been a slow road back, but he has the talent to get there. Like Paddy, talent is not the issue. It's whether or not the body can stand up to the rigours of AFL. That is a confounding variable that tricks many a recruiter and player. It's hard to predict who has the physical resilience to make it. Even measuring psychological resilience is easier.

We are at a crossroads. Freeman, Goddard and McCartin come good (even two of those) and we will make the eight. I think Connellan is the smokey. Serious wheels and along with Freeman could solve the lack of pace conundrum. Imagine if Paddy comes good and kicks forty for the season? You can put Gresh and Members down for the same. We suddenly look potent. Acres, Billings and Dunstan come good in the midfield and we are transformed. I think Dalhaus would be a good addition, even if he isn't elite.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Drake Huggins
Club Player

Edited. Double post.

"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"No, it isn't."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

You can read more about Austin on the Port board at BF

Most rate him highly however the broken foot/leg that happened in the last game in 2016 meant he did not do a pre-season this year and obviously struggled to get back up to speed

Given his age, height and weight demographics he is a juicy key defender prospect as long as he can regain his confidence

If we could get Austin & Tomlinson that would shore up our KP backline options

Then if we hit the draft with 7 & 8 and grab either Bonar, Cerra or a silky mover like Coffield it would boost our future mid options and we could use our 3rd pick on either an upgrade or a mid slider

Then hit FA next year - some big names in 2018 group to add experience and rry again for Kelly in 2019 who will still be only 24yo

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
diddley
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:You can read more about Austin on the Port board at BF

Most rate him highly however the broken foot/leg that happened in the last game in 2016 meant he did not do a pre-season this year and obviously struggled to get back up to speed

Given his age, height and weight demographics he is a juicy key defender prospect as long as he can regain his confidence

If we could get Austin & Tomlinson that would shore up our KP backline options

Then if we hit the draft with 7 & 8 and grab either Bonar, Cerra or a silky mover like Coffield it would boost our future mid options and we could use our 3rd pick on either an upgrade or a mid slider

Then hit FA next year - some big names in 2018 group to add experience and rry again for Kelly in 2019 who will still be only 24yo
I see what you are saying, but I can’t see us getting Tomlinson into the side without losing pick 8 some way or another. Whether it is downgrading it to, I don’t know, maybe Richmond’s 15 & 17 and using one of those and keeping the other. Or somehow splitting 7&8 into 2/3 and 18 , and using the 18 but keeping the 2/3. Either way, we only get 1 pick in the first round. Not 2. GWS have already said they don’t want experienced players trading in, and that they will go to the draft. I don’t see us shipping out players to gws to get one of theirs. It doesn’t really make that much sense.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes the the strategy after having missed out on a genuine Big Fish mid like Kelly now seems to be:

- to keep our first two picks for best available mids,
- while shoring up our height in the backline through trades and/or late use of picks/rookie pick.
- to try and trade off a player or two if the price is right

diddley
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Yes the the strategy after having missed out on a genuine Big Fish mid like Kelly now seems to be:

- while shoring up our height in the backline through trades and/or late use of picks/rookie pick.
Agreed. I have been thinking for a while that we should somehow try and get into the top 3. But the more I think about it, I think use both 7&8 on 2 mids. Take the risk on Bonar and grab the best available left, someone like Cerra.
I would love to try and get one more decent kpb in though. Just can’t figure out a way to get everything I want.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Yes the the strategy after having missed out on a genuine Big Fish mid like Kelly now seems to be:

Agreed. I have been thinking for a while that we should somehow try and get into the top 3. But the more I think about it, I think use both 7&8 on 2 mids. Take the risk on Bonar and grab the best available left, someone like Cerra.
I would love to try and get one more decent kpb in though. Just can’t figure out a way to get everything I want.
We can also trade next years first or second.

I certainly would prefer to get youth this year over next year if it was a choice of one over the other (ie trade next years first rather than this years first). This would strengthen us more for a crack in 2019 or 2020.

MickThomas
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
diddley wrote:

We can also trade next years first or second.

I certainly would prefer to get youth this year over next year if it was a choice of one over the other (ie trade next years first rather than this years first). This would strengthen us more for a crack in 2019 or 2020.
My preferences for each draft session, is to have Trout sitting at the head of the table...
At a McDonalds in Wangaratta with no mobile coverage :twisted:
That's the best chance of picking correctly

2020 was an aberration, when we travelled twice to Adelaide and won both, beat Tigers early, beat our bogey Swans. 2021 we've returned to our old ways. Damn
jaxons
Club Player

7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Bonar looks special doesn't he.
Kind of Adam Goodes type, but the 2 knee reconstructions make him a risk and we would get scoffed at if we took him at 7 or 8.
Think if we don't though we will regret it forever.
Last edited by jaxons on Sun 08 Oct 2017 9:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaxons
Club Player

Drake Huggins wrote:
avid wrote:Jaxons gave us the hint
CQ guessed well,
No rivalry, just thought it was CQ saints call and nothing to do with Jaxons pat on the back, later call. Calm down. Not a criticism, just an observation. The old Jaxsons is taking on cult figure status, with a band of devoted followers who seem to see criticism where there is none. Happy to hear more from Jaxons on this. Is it a certainty, or are we just interested? I'm sure Hugh Goddard will be keeping a close eye on this trade if it comes off.
We are interested and in conversation with him that is all at this stage.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Kind of Adam Goodes type, but the 2 knee reconstructions make him a risk and we would get scoffed at if we took him at 7 or 8.
Yep. Ryan Burton is going to be an absolute star and slipped to 19 after his knee injury. Should have gone at pick 2.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
jaxons wrote:
7,8 - Bonar, Stephenson
Austin for 3rd Round

I could live with that
Yep. Ryan Burton is going to be an absolute star and slipped to 19 after his knee injury. Should have gone at pick 2.
I think Burton was a badly broken leg rather than a knee (a la Stringer)... was touted as number 1 prior to that .. amazing Adelaide did not take him at 17

Jake Lever was also touted as no. 1 before he did a knee and missed his draft year

Selwood slipping to 7 was also on the back of a knee injury