'On the Road to 2023' by Jack Kerouac

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'On the Road to 2023' by Jack Kerouac

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Truman Capote summed up "On the Road" thus: "that's not writing, it's typing"
Yeah right and Truman Capote was a normal person whose thoughts should be taken as gospel...

Sorry Jiggster Kerouac is an amazing writer and 'On The Road' is a masterpiece, not everybody's cup of tea but not liking it doesn't mean it's not great...
Harvey to Hayes; hiya mate! I don't think I was saying Capote should be "taken as gospel", and I'm aware that he wasn't what many folk would consider a " normal " ( whatever that is ) person

You're spot-ON in calling me out re: the merits of Jack Kerouac's writing. How arrogant of me to describe "On the Road" as
(quote ) "awful" ( pause while Jiggster cringes :roll: ) Our choices of authors and reading is all subjective after all, and I've no right to describe the work as awful. D'you know what I'm going to do? Get myself a copy of "On the Road" and read it again! I'm now twenty five years older than when I read it the first time! Maybe I'll appreciate it more.

Good to chat with you, have a great evening! Good reading too!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Kerouac drunk himself to death. A,closet, and a closet saints supporter, obviously. Tortured, brilliant, an alcoholic, drug addict and ultimately a failure. A perfect fit.
Jack Kerouac SO overrated ! Man, " on the road " is AWFUL! It's just that it's "hip" to be a fan I guess.
I'm not a fan of Kerouac, either. I'm more of a Bukowski fan. Now, Bukowski would have made the perfect Saints supporter!

The opening line of Bukowski's first novel Post Office is "It began as a mistake" - Perhaps one of the most perfect opening sentences to a book about a person with a losing culture.
Bukowski wouldn't be interested in football.

Ham on Rye and his poetry in Pleasures of the Damned are his best writing.
Bukowski loved sports. He wrote about playing baseball and football during his youth in Ham on Rye. Perhaps he lost interest in his adult years, but of course he loved going to the racetrack to watch the nags and the dogs.
spert wrote:Prefer reading Raymond Carver meself.
Me too. Bukowski and Carver were both great writers of minimalist style prose.
He loved a bet; it gave him a thrill but I'm pretty sure he would have hated most sports. He detested baseball.

Raymond Carver is good. I also like John Cheever, but the most brutal writer of them all is Richard Yates.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

Capote' s "In Cold Blood" is till every aspiring crime writer's benchmark. Extraordinary. Wambaugh's "Onion Field" comes close.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Capote' s "In Cold Blood" is till every aspiring crime writer's benchmark. Extraordinary. Wambaugh's "Onion Field" comes close.
Ain't that the truth!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:Capote' s "In Cold Blood" is till every aspiring crime writer's benchmark. Extraordinary. Wambaugh's "Onion Field" comes close.
Ain't that the truth!
You guys have gotta see comedian Rich Little's impersonation of Ronald Reagan doing Truman Capote!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Truman Capote summed up "On the Road" thus: "that's not writing, it's typing"
Yeah right and Truman Capote was a normal person whose thoughts should be taken as gospel...

Sorry Jiggster Kerouac is an amazing writer and 'On The Road' is a masterpiece, not everybody's cup of tea but not liking it doesn't mean it's not great...
Harvey to Hayes; hiya mate! I don't think I was saying Capote should be "taken as gospel", and I'm aware that he wasn't what many folk would consider a " normal " ( whatever that is ) person

You're spot-ON in calling me out re: the merits of Jack Kerouac's writing. How arrogant of me to describe "On the Road" as
(quote ) "awful" ( pause while Jiggster cringes :roll: ) Our choices of authors and reading is all subjective after all, and I've no right to describe the work as awful. D'you know what I'm going to do? Get myself a copy of "On the Road" and read it again! I'm now twenty five years older than when I read it the first time! Maybe I'll appreciate it more.

Good to chat with you, have a great evening! Good reading too!
Love your work mate, hope you enjoy it :) I've read it so many times I almost know it by rote but always fun to return to...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...