No youngsters delisted from main list. Good or bad?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

No youngsters delisted from main list. Good or bad?

I can't remember another year where we did not delist a young player who hadn't really made it. Coughlan was on the rookie list, Holmes if he goes was a completely different kettle of fish. And of course Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster all had long careers.

But there was no Curren, Templeton, or Murdoch this year.

Does that mean we have a great list of youngsters who all have a future in the AFL?
Was it due to already having 3 "retirees"?
Or was it bad management that we had so many fringe players who were still contracted next year?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: No youngsters delisted from main list. Good or bad?

kosifantutti wrote:I can't remember another year where we did not delist a young player who hadn't really made it. Coughlan was on the rookie list, Holmes if he goes was a completely different kettle of fish. And of course Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster all had long careers.

Does that mean we have a great list of youngsters who all have a future in the AFL?
Or was it bad management that we had so many fringe players who were still contracted next year?
Too early to say. At least two more players, maybe three have to be delisted.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Or was it bad management that we had so many fringe players who were still contracted next year?
I think it is this, not sure how we ended up with so many fringe players contracted for 2018… at this rate we have to either delist and payout one or two or move them to the rookie list.

There's no rush to promote Marshall IMO, he could easily play all year in the VFL next year.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I can't remember another year where we did not delist a young player who hadn't really made it. Coughlan was on the rookie list, Holmes if he goes was a completely different kettle of fish. And of course Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster all had long careers.

Yeah, I probably went a bit early but I think everyone except Holmes has a contract for next year. So if someone else is delisted we are paying for them.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yeah, I probably went a bit early but I think everyone except Holmes has a contract for next year. So if someone else is delisted we are paying for them.
It would seem from club statements that we are going to use all 4 picks in the draft.
Plus we have added Logan Austin.
If Marshall remains on the rookie list then we need 5 vacancies.
We have made 3 - Riewoldt, Montagna & Dempster.
That leaves two more - Holmes does not have a contract, he is doomed.
He was probably told that he would only be retained if another club took one of Longer or Hickey in a trade.
But that leaves one more required.
That must be someone already contracted.

Almost certainly someone with a contract that was not renewed this year.
Someone who did not get much game time this year but has been on the list a few years.
Someone who thought they were safe when they left for a holiday because they were contracted for next year.
One of Wright or Minchington may have a cruel end to their holiday.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I am a bit confused.

We currently have 39 players on our list and 4 rookies making it 43 in total. We can extend that to 47 and apparently after changes to the rookie rules, all 47 will be available from round one.

If we delist Holmes, I believe we will, we will have 5 vacancies and 5 draft picks.

Is this correct?

saint6709
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:I am a bit confused.

We currently have 39 players on our list and 4 rookies making it 43 in total. We can extend that to 47 and apparently after changes to the rookie rules, all 47 will be available from round one.

If we delist Holmes, I believe we will, we will have 5 vacancies and 5 draft picks.

Is this correct?
I don't know if it's correct but if it is it makes a lot of sense- no big fish caught this year - but we will need some cap space for next years fishing expedition - also allows us to hedge our bets re who might make a significant and perhaps unexpected improvement next year ---so keep everyone on and pay them and perhaps cull the list back to 43 next year with a star or 2 added into the mix

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:I am a bit confused.

Is this correct?
I don't know if it's correct but if it is it makes a lot of sense- no big fish caught this year - but we will need some cap space for next years fishing expedition - also allows us to hedge our bets re who might make a significant and perhaps unexpected improvement next year ---so keep everyone on and pay them and perhaps cull the list back to 43 next year with a star or 2 added into the mix
So, 3 draft picks and 2 rookies if we delist Holmes...I presume. 3 kids and 2 mature bodies maybe?