Sloaney Pony and other trade tales.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Sloaney Pony and other trade tales.

Excuse me if I'm Sir Eric Pearce with the late news, but I was sent an undated article by a colleague that suggested the Saints' management had made a firm offer to Rory Sloane in May this year. It is said to be 1.2 million x 4 years, with additional performance bonuses built in. A handy superannuation package for the Sloaney Pony, if he takes it up. He will turn 29 by the time he takes up the offer (if he does), but given the way he presents and prepares himself, I don't think that would be a problem. There's plenty of elite level footy left in him. If we could land Gaff at the same time, our midfield would suddenly be projected to the elite level. One of the reasons I was disappointed in our efforts to get lesser options in this trade period was that by acquiring Rockliff, Motflop and Saad, we would've given ourselves a very strong chance of making the eight in 2018. Even though they are handy, rather than top shelf, you only have to see the difference Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy made to Richmond this year.

That brings me to my next point. In order to attract players, we have to have the cash and SC room, which we have. It also needs the promise of short-term success. The money alone is not enough anymore. There has to be a realistic chance of ultimate success, and quickly. Melbourne and Essendon definitely look more attractive than we do after this year. FFS, even Carlscum is being reported as going past us, although I doubt that in reality. A lot of clubs now have SC room and are paying below the required TPP. We had positioned ourselves well, but the extra room afforded to all clubs is going to work against our prudent approach of the past five years. Typical of the Saints' luck over the years. The upside of not settling for the lesser talents on offer this year is that we've saved more cash to splash on the elites. If that has been Ameet's strategy, then well done.

The other exciting development comes from an itk from Norf. He's a close friend of Phil Kelly and he tells me that the father says the son will not be going to Norf. He added that he will be coming back to Victoria in 2020. The bad news is, that we were the frontrunners to get him on his return until the dopers and Carlscum entered the race. They are now being considered seriously. Still, imagine if we get Gaff and Sloane in 2019 and Kelly in 2020? We can afford them, but we need a reasonably successful 2018 to show them we can help fulfill their ambitions. Plan "A" has failed. I wouldn't call this plan "B". More like plan "A-". If we bring this off, the premiership window will not open, it will be blown out of the frame. Throw in the natural improvement of our current list and the hope that this year's picks 7 & 8 live up to expectations by 2020 (3 preseasons by then), then we are well placed.

At the sound of the final siren of the 2010 GF replay, I had seen my saints fail to salute in 5 GFs. At the time I gave up all hope of ever seeing a premiership. Now, I'm starting to believe again. A fine servant, but cruel master is hope.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Sloaney Pony and other trade tales.

No doubt that Sloan is a gun, but I worry about his age and moreso his apparent inability to break a tag.

I reckon we should be having a good look at Tom Libratore, whom I believe is also a free agent next year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jesus Christ.
Has it started already.
Fyfe
Martin
Kelly

Give it a rest.
If we were going to get Sloane it should have been 3 years ago.
Once again we look like a desperate Minnow club where players go for a super fund top up.
Much like we were in the 80s.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 08 Nov 2017 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

A mate of mine from Upwey who was heavily involved in the Upwey footy club passed on some interesting news. He was adamant that Sloane was coming to the Saints and that we had made an offer. He got this info from mates of Sloanes in Upwey and was very confident of his info. This info was pre-trade and he believed it was for 2018. I dismissed it out of hand as there wasn't even a whisper that Sloane was leaving. However it appears it may have some legs to it for 2019....

Unless we were right on the cusp like we were coming into the 2010 season then I tend to agree with Con. Not sure we should throwing huge dollars at anyone in the twilight of their career. I will be fascinated to see how the cats go next year. I guess you don't die wondering, but I think it's a huge gamble myself.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sir Eric just read the news. He didnt take a tag and use personal speculation to fill in the rest. Thats called fiction writing.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:No doubt that Sloan is a gun, but I worry about his age and moreso his apparent inability to break a tag.

I reckon we should be having a good look at Tom Libratore, whom I believe is also a free agent next year.
So we don't have a "no dickheads policy" any more?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:No doubt that Sloan is a gun, but I worry about his age and moreso his apparent inability to break a tag.

So we don't have a "no dickheads policy" any more?
Best bloke ever.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

[quote="CQ SAINT"]Sir Eric just read the news. He didnt take a tag and use personal speculation to fill in the rest. Thats called fiction writing.

Sir Eric is deceased. As quoted in the post, it came from another source, so it's not fiction on my part. Just reporting what has been reported elsewhere. Read the post again. Your contempt may be dulled somewhat by the facts. Sorry I beat you to it and then used an inconvenient fact and a bit of imagination, beyond your limited grasp to make my point. I'll dumb it down for you in future. BTW, That's requires an apostrophe. So good to be accurate when trying to appear to be smart. :roll:

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Moods wrote:A mate of mine from Upwey who was heavily involved in the Upwey footy club passed on some interesting news. He was adamant that Sloane was coming to the Saints and that we had made an offer. He got this info from mates of Sloanes in Upwey and was very confident of his info. This info was pre-trade and he believed it was for 2018. I dismissed it out of hand as there wasn't even a whisper that Sloane was leaving. However it appears it may have some legs to it for 2019....

Unless we were right on the cusp like we were coming into the 2010 season then I tend to agree with Con. Not sure we should throwing huge dollars at anyone in the twilight of their career. I will be fascinated to see how the cats go next year. I guess you don't die wondering, but I think it's a huge gamble myself.
I agree with Con 100% as well as Moods.
With the current staff at the club, who are useless at teaching accuracy, forward tactics and choosing a good option,
impossible to expect a 29 year old + 2 other elites to magically transform
the fortunes of the Cinderella club.
WW/Drake, you're now one of the blue sky clan.

3 guys ain't gonna fix the deep-rooted malaise in this club.
Think about the continued selection of the Millstone- Weller, when he was so out of sorts
but kept getting picked.
The idiots at the club have no frigging clue.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
howlinwolf
Club Player

Very interesting Drake.
I give our management more credit than others.
In fact I'm happy they're running the show and not forum fans.

I'd be very happy paying Sloane that even at 29 yo. Ok he hasn't handled hard tags the best but by the time we're challenging we may have too many A graders to tag.
I'm quite confident this year's draft is going to produce for us.
We have two top ten picks and the possibility of a Brayshaw/Stephenson/Bonar/Clark a reality.
One or both should be a player.

We have midfield improvement from our list to come in Gresh/Sinclair/Dunstan also Ross/Steven. Acres could be in there too.

Sloane could be the cream on the cake that wins us that elusive flag.

He grew up a Sainter. The family are Sainters.
What better way to end your career ?
Leave Adelaide and bring a flag to Moorabbin !!!

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: He got this info from mates of Sloanes in Upwey
Sounds legit.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I forgot JOM.
We were also definitely getting him too.
Something about a property deal?