Welcome Doulton Langlands

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Welcome Doulton Langlands

fugazi wrote:Hard to imagine the set of circumstances that would have to transpire that would see us promote a HB flanker rookie.
There are quite a few in the queue to get a HBF position especially after the draft but this kid sounds like he will be a speedy midfielder, or at least that is what we should turn him into. Plus he is a Rookie so put the name in the memory bank for now

supersaints
Club Player

He looks more than good on his highlights package on the Saints web app.... pace to burn looks exceptional bursting clear ... and that goal where he burst out of the midfield is very , very impressive

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
shrodes
SS Life Member

supersaints wrote:He looks more than good on his highlights package on the Saints web app.... pace to burn looks exceptional bursting clear ... and that goal where he burst out of the midfield is very , very impressive
Could be a Johannisen type with that speed off the backline?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Don't ever discount rookie picks. Sometimes a 18 year old that gets picked up through the rookie draft actually ends up trumping some of the ones going through the first draft. RD kids can take a bit longer to mature in all areas at around that age. They don't bloom as early basically.

Langlands was basically a 80-90 pick if there were more draft spots available in the original draft.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Maybe a nickname of Springsteen as I think Bruce had an album title very similar to our recruit's surname.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Or maybe call him Royal (or Your Highness)

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

Stian
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:Or maybe call him Royal (or Your Highness)

or Dunny

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

For some reason his name reminds me of Dolph Lundgren.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saint64
Club Player

Wedgwood might be a good name for him - Wedge for short

Drake Huggins
Club Player

I can see the headlines. If someone whacks him, will they be charged with "Damaging the Doulton?"

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If he's as quick as he seems from his highlight reel, his nickname could be Boltin' Doulton

Vazelos
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:Don't ever discount rookie picks. Sometimes a 18 year old that gets picked up through the rookie draft actually ends up trumping some of the ones going through the first draft. RD kids can take a bit longer to mature in all areas at around that age. They don't bloom as early basically.

Langlands was basically a 80-90 pick if there were more draft spots available in the original draft.

Spot on, see Jack Sinclair as the most recent example.
Stephen Milne is the most famous of them all!!

Stian
Club Player

Can somebody help with the "new" rules for rookies?

I think I heard that rookies no longer need to be elevated to the senior list to be eligible for senior selection. Does that mean that, in theory, the entire rookie list could be selected in the first round ???

i.e. if Doulton is any good, he doesn't have to wait for a spot on the senior list.

saint64
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:If he's as quick as he seems from his highlight reel, his nickname could be Boltin' Doulton
If he is a Desperado we could call him Doolin. Its a wonder the Eagles didn't draft him...

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Stian wrote:Can somebody help with the "new" rules for rookies?

I think I heard that rookies no longer need to be elevated to the senior list to be eligible for senior selection. Does that mean that, in theory, the entire rookie list could be selected in the first round ???

i.e. if Doulton is any good, he doesn't have to wait for a spot on the senior list.
From saintbrat's post on another thread the rookies are split into 2 categories. I believe category A rookies can play first round but not category B rookies.
saintbrat wrote: Category A Rookies: Darragh Joyce 2nd Year/International, Doulton Langlands, Rowan Marshall 2nd Year, Lewis Pierce
Category B Rookies: Ray Connellan International

Stian
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:

From saintbrat's post on another thread the rookies are split into 2 categories. I believe category A rookies can play first round but not category B rookies.
saintbrat wrote: Category A Rookies: Darragh Joyce 2nd Year/International, Doulton Langlands, Rowan Marshall 2nd Year, Lewis Pierce
Cheers Jack, thanks for that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

I think you will find that Joyce is just a rookie and not an international rookie. Reason being the AFL has an an agreement with the Gaelic Association that any one AFL club can only take one Irish International Rookie at a time. So in our case to get two one had to be a "normal" rookie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

I think you will find that Joyce is just a rookie and not an international rookie. Reason being the AFL has an an agreement with the Gaelic Association that any one AFL club can only take one Irish International Rookie at a time. So in our case to get two one had to be a "normal" rookie.
I agree that we were only allowed to make one Irishmen a rookie type B as a result of an agreement with the Gaelic Association.
Otherwise there would be around 50 Irishmen on rookie lists B.
But then I found this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... tball_Club

Now some over enthusiastic contributor to Wiki sometimes gets it wrong but they usually get quickly corrected.
But then this at the AFL website
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-29/y ... eason-2018

Disappointing not to see Matthew Lloyd name not there.
The King twins from Haileybury possibly going one and two at the 2018 draft, it would be nice to have someone to give us an edge when they want to return home from Queensland.
(Brisbane and Gold Coast to fight out the wooden spoon with North who are deliberately TANKING their list).

Being Saints our guys walk on water.

Last edited by ace on Sun 03 Dec 2017 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Wow, good highlights
....actually looks more impressive then any of the other draftees....plays like Jaydn Hunt from Melbourne.

What is the knock on him? Must be some reason he was taken in the main draft?

Nee!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Wow, good highlights
....actually looks more impressive then any of the other draftees....plays like Jaydn Hunt from Melbourne.

What is the knock on him? Must be some reason he was taken in the main draft?
inconsistency

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I thought he'd be bigger!

# Reference to the Patrick Swayze classic Roadhouse for the under 40's enjoying this forum

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.