Lethlean going to Saints?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Lethlean going to Saints?!

FROM plenty of insiders is he was a disgrace... another aunts decision... sigh
1 Step forward and now 2 back

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:This is just part of the reason, or symbolic of it, that we are such a piss ant club with such a shockingly poor history.
Personally, I would have NEVER entertained the thought of employing this grub. How can you trust him ??
He is a low life, aint no changing that,
Very disappointed in St.Kilda.
But you get used to that.
What on earth?

If Lethlean had not fallen on his sword, the AFL would have had real problems sacking him, because they had no lawful/reasonable reason to do so!

The AFL would have been reamed in Unfair Dismissal or Breach of Contract proceedings. He had an affair, that does not make him a grub or a predator.

It is a private matter between Lethlean, his wife and the woman with whom he had the affair.

The suggestion that he deserved the sack and should never be employed is a disgrace.
How do you know?
For all we know he was using the company credit card to book flights and hotels so he could have the affair.
May very well have been work related.
That would be more along the embezzlement line and there is not the slightest suggestion of that. He was pushed because he had an affair with someone reporting to him. Not a sackable matter unless the AFL had very specific policies forbidding affairs with Reports, which I very much doubt.
Not the slightest suggestion? Really?
I think there is definitely a suggestion of that. It would not be embezzelment as there is no such thing in the crimes act.

If there was misuse of a work credit card - it would be a sackable offence (he was sacked) - but no way would the AFL report it to the police over a few thousand dollars.

The full reasons for the sacking were never revealed so I dont know why people are so confident it was 'only an affair between two consenting adults'.

The reality is we dont know the full circumstances and there EVERY chance work resources were misused including flights and hotel rooms. He would have been given the opportunity to pay the money back quietly and obviously would have taken that opportunity.

FACTS
We know for sure Lethlean wasnt banging the lady at his own home.

We also know for sure that the lady was living in Sydney. So flights and hotels were being used to continue the affair.

The question is who paid???
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 16 Dec 2017 5:28pm, edited 4 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

There is also the issue of how he treats staff in general.
By all reports is an A Grade asshole who thinks his s*** doesnt stink.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

mightysainters wrote:FROM plenty of insiders is he was a disgrace... another aunts decision... sigh
Do you work for the ABC? "Plenty of insiders say" - name just one. Please. Or stop your rumour-mongering.

Saint supporter since '62
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:
mightysainters wrote:FROM plenty of insiders is he was a disgrace... another aunts decision... sigh
Do you work for the ABC? "Plenty of insiders say" - name just one. Please. Or stop your rumour-mongering.
What if Gil said something like ...

GM: ...."Look mate - youve stuffed up. For optics and PR sake you have to fall on your sword....

...Pay back the money you used on hotels and flights - resign - and ill keep the details private and get you a job in clubland in 6 months when this all dies down..."

SL: Ok. Thanks I apologise and I wont let you down again.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GIven our reputation as a club - this is a poor choice.
Just reinforces what people think of us already. We are a rabble party club.

KingSaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

GM: ...."Look mate - youve stuffed up. For optics and PR sake you have to fall on your sword....

...Pay back the money you used on hotels and flights - resign - and ill keep the details private and get you a job in clubland in 6 months when this all dies down..."

Is Con your name a description of you? Just make up a whole pile of carp and suggest "what if?" If you don't like the guy and don't agree with the clubs decision that fine. No need to resort to making stupid suggestions or arguments.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

KingSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Is Con your name a description of you? Just make up a whole pile of carp and suggest "what if?" If you don't like the guy and don't agree with the clubs decision that fine. No need to resort to making stupid suggestions or arguments.
Yes I am speculating somewhat but you are as naive as a tadpole if you dont think this is possible or probable. GM made it very very clear at the time there were more details that he wouldnt be making public

See this
Although McLachlan has virtually ruled out Lethlean's return to head office due to his extra-marital affair with a former NSW AFL staffer, saying it would be too difficult to act as a disciplinarian to clubs and players, the impression following the two-day meeting was that he would be welcomed back to the game via a position at club level.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... xtuj5.html

So I am not making this stuff up at all.

Again.

1. We know Maddi was promoted rapidly to a Sydney based position.
2. We know the affair was conducted mostly in Sydney.

So again I ask - how frequest was SL going to Sydney for work trips during this time and how was this paid for?

This is a very very reasonable field of inquiry.

Clearly SL was telling his wife he was going to Sydney frequently for work reasons. That is certain.
Who paid for this? I would say there is a 99% chance this was paid for by the AFL.
If you think SL was paying for his own regular trips up there out of his money then you are completely kidding yourself.

Use your brain.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

KingSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yes I am speculating somewhat but you are as naive as a tadpole if you dont think this is possible or probable. GM made it very very clear at the time there were more details that he wouldnt be making public. He also said there was more to it than just the affair.

See this
AUGUST 10 2017

AFL had to let Simon Lethlean go: Gillon McLachlan
Although McLachlan has virtually ruled out Lethlean's return to head office due to his extra-marital affair with a former NSW AFL staffer, saying it would be too difficult to act as a disciplinarian to clubs and players, the impression following the two-day meeting was that he would be welcomed back to the game via a position at club level.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... xtuj5.html

So I am not making this stuff up at all.

Again.

1. We know Maddi was promoted rapidly to a Sydney based position.
2. We know the affair was conducted mostly in Sydney.

So again I ask - how frequently was SL going to Sydney for work trips during this time and how was this paid for?

This is a very very reasonable field of inquiry.

Clearly SL was telling his wife he was going to Sydney frequently for work reasons. That is certain.
Who paid for this? I would say there is a 99% chance this was paid for by the AFL.
If you think SL was paying for his own regular trips up there out of his money then you are completely kidding yourself.

Use your brain. If he was paying for it out of his own money his wife would wonder why.

I'll guarantee it was paid for by the AFL and Ill guarantee he was concocting excuses to go up there all the time or for her to fly down for 'meetings'.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:This is just part of the reason, or symbolic of it, that we are such a piss ant club with such a shockingly poor history.
Personally, I would have NEVER entertained the thought of employing this grub. How can you trust him ??
What on earth?

If Lethlean had not fallen on his sword, the AFL would have had real problems sacking him, because they had no lawful/reasonable reason to do so!

The AFL would have been reamed in Unfair Dismissal or Breach of Contract proceedings. He had an affair, that does not make him a grub or a predator.

It is a private matter between Lethlean, his wife and the woman with whom he had the affair.

The suggestion that he deserved the sack and should never be employed is a disgrace.
How do you know?
For all we know he was using the company credit card to book flights and hotels so he could have the affair.
That would be more along the embezzlement line and there is not the slightest suggestion of that. He was pushed because he had an affair with someone reporting to him. Not a sackable matter unless the AFL had very specific policies forbidding affairs with Reports, which I very much doubt.
I think there is definitely a suggestion of that. It would not be embezzelment as there is no such thing in the crimes act.

If there was misuse of a work credit card - it would be a sackable offence (he was sacked) - but no way would the AFL report it to the police over a few thousand dollars.

The full reasons for the sacking were never revealed so I dont know why people are so confident it was 'only an affair between two consenting adults'.

The reality is we dont know the full circumstances and there EVERY chance work resources were misused including flights and hotel rooms. He would have been given the opportunity to pay the money back quietly and obviously would have taken that opportunity.

FACTS

We also know for sure that the lady was living in Sydney. So flights and hotels were being used to continue the affair.

Using a Corporate credit card on what you're not supposed to or contrary to authorisation is fraud, a criminal offence.

Again there is no indication of that happening other than your sheer speculation.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
What on earth?

How do you know?

FACTS

Using a Corporate credit card on what you're not supposed to or contrary to authorisation is fraud, a criminal offence.

Again there is no indication of that happening other than your sheer speculation.
Only if the AFL pressed charges - which they definitely wouldnt given their obsession with managing PR.

What happens in the real world is the offending person is given the opportunity to pay the money back. As soon as this was discovered it would have been paid back quick smart.

No way the AFL would go to the cops about a few thousand dollars. It would invite a scandal. Also business will only go to the Cops if the amount is larger AND isnt paid back.

The AFL would keep this in-house and manage the message. That is their way. That is what they did.

Also the cops would not be interested in such a small amount at such a large organisation involving an executive - any criminal charge would be impossible to prove because the exec WAS authorised to use company credit card. So the issue is really one about internal AFL policy for CC use by exes.

You are just kidding yourself. No way would this constitute a crime. No way would the AFL press charges. No way the Cops or DPP would be interested in this. Almost impossible to get a guilty verdict - especially if he was going up for 'work meetings' even if those meetings were actually unnecessary and not completely genuine.

Ill ask you a simple question

Do you seriously believe SL was paying for his own flights and hotels when he went to Sydney regularly at that time?

Yes or No.

Use your brain. There is plenty of indication.
We know for an absolute fact he was going up to Sydney regularly for these trysts and we know with 99% certainty the AFL paid for these trips.
We know for sure this was mainly happening mid-week

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well apparently we were his 5th choice.
HQ offered him to 4 clubs before us - they all said No.
The Saints of course said Yes.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:GIven our reputation as a club - this is a poor choice.
YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's quite likely SL was doing his job, which involved regular trips to Sydney. As an added bonus, he was dipping his wick whllst he was there.

Sounds like a good job to me, and to him, until the fan and the shite collided.

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It's quite likely SL was doing his job, which involved regular trips to Sydney. As an added bonus, he was dipping his wick whllst he was there.

How regular did those trips need to be?
How many 'meetings' were simply excuses for bang sessions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:GIven our reputation as a club - this is a poor choice.
YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN
What is the party line?

Let me guess.

Great operator.
Highly regarded in AFL circles.

Blah blah blah. Spin spin spin.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:

What sort of message does this send to our AFLW team, and all the ladies connected with the club?
St K has to be seen to be promoting and empowering women.
This is as bad as appointing H Weinstein as our Media Manager.

Bad form bad form.
Staff have to be ABOVE reproach and squeaky clean.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

What sort of message does this send to our AFLW team, and all the ladies connected with the club?

Bad form bad form.
tripe

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bobmurray wrote:It's quite likely SL was doing his job, which involved regular trips to Sydney. As an added bonus, he was dipping his wick whllst he was there.

How regular did those trips need to be?
How many 'meetings' were simply excuses for bang sessions.
Does it matter, he was only called to account because of his pecker, nothing else. :D

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Bad form bad form.
Bollocks.

Why does everything have to be about "empowering women" these days? What the hell does "empowering" them even mean? Most overused marketing tripe in recent times......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Bad form bad form.
Bollocks.

Why does everything have to be about "empowering women" these days? What the hell does "empowering" them even mean? Most overused marketing tripe in recent times......
I think empowering women means let them be on top :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well apparently we were his 5th choice.
HQ offered him to 4 clubs before us - they all said No.
The Saints of course said Yes.
He knocked the Bulldogs back

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Bad form bad form.
Bollocks.

It's a crock of shite to say "empowering women". It basically means they are treated as 2nd class citizens by those that have the power. It implies a difference in class. What's wrong with just treating them equally? What's with all the crap buzzwords. What about the woman that was screwing him. Is she not allowed to work again because she was involved in an affair? Some opinions on here are absolute garbage.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We got lucky. No other way to look at it from a 'suitability for the job' position. He was what Bains was hoping to be.

He was always going to find a way back into the AFL and its a matter of right time and opportunity.

Hopefully his family recover and are embraced by our club and he can recover their trust.

Collingwood, Carlton and the WeeBees wanted him but couldn't risk the backlash.

I think it is a bold move. We have a GM - Football who has spent the last few years reshaping the future of the game, developing the AFLW and rising rapidly up the AFL corporate ladder.

I hope Kurtly Beale and Simon's wife dont feel too bad and outside of those 2 people - who should care?

If our current team can get success, and that is what really matters, I believe we have the best GM -Football available to exploit that and secure sustainable success for this club. He has an impressive resume and is clearly a cardholding member of the AFL 'boys club' if one really exists.

I believe one of our biggest advantages in getting him was becayse we dont have a womens team yet. Gives him a chance to rebuild his character while developing our womens program. He is clearly well qualified to do that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Great get by the club.

Isn't it amazing how many saints follow the Saints. There but for the grace of God....

Amen brother.