Attack on Saintsational

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Attack on Saintsational

Many of you may have noticed that over the past 5 days the site has been under attack by spammers.

Some of these attacks have maxed out our RAM on the virtual server and taken the site down.

I hope to have overcome this by increasing the RAM we can access.

I am not sure it will fix the outages but I hope so.

As for the spammers - settings have been changed to hopefully keep them at bay for a while!

Simon

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Attack on Saintsational

BackFromUSA wrote:Many of you may have noticed that over the past 5 days the site has been under attack by spammers.

Some of these attacks have maxed out our RAM on the virtual server and taken the site down.

As for the spammers - settings have been changed to hopefully keep them at bay for a while!

Simon
Block and ban Numpty please. He is real life spambot. Bit of a conicidence if you ask me too.

Good work too.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

ParkeySainter

You can block numpty yourself if you do not enjoy his / her attempt at humour.

Click on USER CONTROL PANEL at top of your page

Click on FRIENDS AND FOES option in the top menu tab

And you can list him / her as a FOE there and it will block their direct posts and PMs.

Thanks

Simon

p.s. calling for another poster to be banned is against the rules. Just report posts that you feel breach the rules and they will be assessed. Trying to be humorous is not against the rules.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:p.s. calling for another poster to be banned is against the rules. Just report posts that you feel breach the rules and they will be assessed. Trying to be humorous is not against the rules.
When deciphered, most Numpty posts seem to be aimed at one poster...sooooo...you know the rules...

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)

nice angle

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:p.s. calling for another poster to be banned is against the rules. Just report posts that you feel breach the rules and they will be assessed. Trying to be humorous is not against the rules.
When deciphered, most Numpty posts seem to be aimed at one poster...sooooo...you know the rules...
Agreed that recent posts have been baiting one poster and a warning was issued already this morning for baiting.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:ParkeySainter

And you can list him / her as a FOE there and it will block their direct posts and PMs.

Thanks

Simon

p.s. calling for another poster to be banned is against the rules. Just report posts that you feel breach the rules and they will be assessed. Trying to be humorous is not against the rules.
Fair enough and I have blocked him. Its a shame he/she spams and ruins threads for everyone on here though. That is my point. Numpty is about as funny as cancer itself.

I kind of feel sorry for him. You hear about these loser trolls with no life that float around the internet - he/she is a prime example of one.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
minneapolis
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:ParkeySainter

Thanks

Simon

Fair enough and I have blocked him. Its a shame he/she spams and ruins threads for everyone on here though. That is my point. Numpty is about as funny as cancer itself.

I kind of feel sorry for him. You hear about these loser trolls with no life that float around the internet - he/she is a prime example of one.
I really like him. Pity you do not appreciate his humor. I like Clay Davis too.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a good movie

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Sounds like a good movie
Yeah
Pluggers revenge :lol:

In red white and black from 73
saint-stu
Club Player

Hey Simon, it might be worth configuring recaptcha to stop accounts being generated automatically https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/

1ac46a38
SuperDuper
Club Player

degruch wrote:
personally like Numpty.
pretty funny.

Not sure who is baiting who really.
As stated, if you dont like him or think he is making not so subtle political statements that you dont agree with, just put him on ignore

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Hey Simon, it might be worth configuring recaptcha to stop accounts being generated automatically https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/
Already done and have 4 rotating questions so even if they google or guess an answer it slows down their registration rate. Thinking of increasing the questions to 8 or 10 to slow it down. But it is the spiders and bots that they use that are causing the site usage surges causing the crashes by exceeding the VPS allowance. So I have banned all bots and spiders for now including google, yahoo and bing for now.

saint-stu
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Hey Simon, it might be worth configuring recaptcha to stop accounts being generated automatically https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... a-captcha/
Already done and have 4 rotating questions so even if they google or guess an answer it slows down their registration rate. Thinking of increasing the questions to 8 or 10 to slow it down. But it is the spiders and bots that they use that are causing the site usage surges causing the crashes by exceeding the VPS allowance. So I have banned all bots and spiders for now including google, yahoo and bing for now.
An image based captcha would stop bots registering. Are the bots registering or just browsing?

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

1ac46a38
Saints43
Club Player

Probably nice to have a bit of traffic on the site.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Could you just close new registrations for a while?

Numpty

Re: Attack on Numpty

? ? ? wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Many of you may have noticed that over the past 5 days the site has been under attack by spammers.

Simon
Block and ban Numpty please. He is real life spambot. Bit of a conicidence if you ask me too.

Good work too.
How did my name get dragged into this thread, folks??? :? The real fake news mass-baiter has been shown for all to see, and everyone sees, and I thank them for seeing. 20/20 vision, believe me. #makingfakenewsattacksonpatriotsgrateagain

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

if anyone notices any outages of more than 5 minutes PLEASE post the time it happened here!

I think I have solved the bot and spam account problem ... for now.

A few questionable new members still for past 5 or 6 days ... which I shall leave just in case they are legit ... which I doubt BUT just in case.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

if anyone notices any outages of more than 5 minutes PLEASE post the time it happened here!

I think I have solved the bot and spam account problem ... for now.

A few questionable new members still for past 5 or 6 days ... which I shall leave just in case they are legit ... which I doubt BUT just in case.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Are we still under attack? This site keeps playing up for me. It happened again before about 9.30pm ish ESDT

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:Are we still under attack? This site keeps playing up for me. It happened again before about 9.30pm ish ESDT
This site seems to shut down the same time every night (time depends on whether its daylight savings or not too). Guessing the forum reboots or something like that automatically.

Its possible it just deletes all of Con G's posts every night because they're so bad. :wink:

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Checking into it. Seems to reboot around und 9pm but down for a long time.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Okay thanks guys. I remember you telling me that before but that's just the time I get on the computer after watching the telly. (I know, I live the high life). :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

They do a nightly update around 9pm but it usually takes less than 5 minutes but for some reason it seems to be taking up to a half hour