Bailey Rice aflx lowlight...seriously

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Bailey Rice aflx lowlight...seriously

Looked slow and carrying weight for sure. Long way off a game.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Bailey Rice aflx lowlight...seriously

Came here to say something about him - apologies if you are friends or family but he looked a long way off any sort of football, just out of breath from the first minute and couldn't cover the ground at all. Disappointing.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Disagree with you there. Gilbo's hair easily the low light. Bailey Rice is not ready yet. Made a few mistakes which didn't help but he looked lost out there. Could have been nerves or just the game itself but he didn't play well. Koby Stevens also was pretty average as well

The_President
Club Player

Jack Lonie couldn’t tackle in the format either

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:Jack Lonie couldn’t tackle in the format either
he can't tackle full stop. useless

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Koby Stevens was a peculiar choice to play to I thought...

I rate the guy but don’t know that his game style particularly suits this type of game

Drake Huggins
Club Player

It would appear the predictable came home to roost. Under pressure this year, Rice, Stevens, Phillips, Lonie and the non players, Pierce, Minchington and Wright. Let's see how many of them go at the end of the year.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Drake Huggins wrote:It would appear the predictable came home to roost. Under pressure this year, Rice, Stevens, Phillips, Lonie and the non players, Pierce, Minchington and Wright. Let's see how many of them go at the end of the year.
Lets hope it's all of them.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vazelos
Club Player

I was shocked at the condition of Bailey Rice.
He looked over weight, he was waddling around the ground and he seemed off the pace.
Dunstan moved really well, Savage looked very sharp as did Sinclair.
Lots of positives in the first game, it’s just a concept game afterall.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

C'mon posters....this was nothing more than a pre-season training session x 2. This was a game of high school lunch time half field AFL football basically. Only certain players will ever be suited to this AFLX.

Lets not bag the players already somewhat given that this AFLX is really just garbage. Rd 1 is still weeks away. There are plenty of training and practice matches to come.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

LOwlight was definitely being reminded that we still have Jack Linus on the list, who is clearly the worst player in the league by the Flemington straight

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rice was a speculative pick and we have an oversupply of HBFs, so won't hurt us at all if he doesn't come through.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Ben Long and Koby Stevens were also disapointing

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

On the flip side of the coin ...
Savage not only stood out with his run and carry and the goals he kicked, he used his body well in body-to-body work vs opponents, contested well and stopped goals the other way.
Our most under-rated and under-appreciated player - I can't believe he was immediately dropped when Webster came back from injury during the season.

Is Webster that much ahead of him (or even his equal)?

What's wrong with our selectors??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gawn. At years end.

lewdogs
Club Player

samoht wrote:On the flip side of the coin ...
Savage not only stood out with his run and carry and the goals he kicked, he used his body well in body-to-body work vs opponents, contested well and stopped goals the other way.
Our most under-rated and under-appreciated player - I can't believe he was immediately dropped when Webster came back from injury during the season.

The reality of the situation is that Savage was putrid at the beginning of last season. He was dropped for a number of weeks where he went back to the reserves and worked hard at the defensive side of his game. At that stage, Webster was streets ahead of him.

To Sav's credit, he has been able to take his defence to another level and basically looks like a new player compared to where he was at a year ago.

So in actual fact, it was a massive win for our selectors.

I think our defensive line is staring to have a really nice look to it, with Geary and Sav as smalls, Roberton and Webster (and/or White) as medium size and Carlisle and Brown as bigs. The one question mark there for me is Brown, so it will be interesting to see how Logan Austin or Hugh Goddard perform this year.

As for Rice, well... yeah, he looks cooked.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Agree totally. Savage is really good, I'm amazed hiw much criticism he cops if he has 1 average game.
Lonie needs to hang them up....he is tiny.

Nee!
loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Gawn. At years end.
Now which ITK gave you that info saynta? That’s a real coup for our recruiters to get Max Gawn for next season, stole him out from other teams noses eh? Who are we giving up for him, Hickey or Longer? :wink: :wink: :P

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:

The reality of the situation is that Savage was putrid at the beginning of last season. He was dropped for a number of weeks where he went back to the reserves and worked hard at the defensive side of his game. At that stage, Webster was streets ahead of him.

To Sav's credit, he has been able to take his defence to another level and basically looks like a new player compared to where he was at a year ago.

So in actual fact, it was a massive win for our selectors.

I think our defensive line is staring to have a really nice look to it, with Geary and Sav as smalls, Roberton and Webster (and/or White) as medium size and Carlisle and Brown as bigs. The one question mark there for me is Brown, so it will be interesting to see how Logan Austin or Hugh Goddard perform this year.

As for Rice, well... yeah, he looks cooked.
Spot on assessment of Savage.
He responded after being dropped and played career best football.
If he maintains that level we are a long way ahead as he can kick the ball and has good pace.

Rice looks like he is straight out of the late 70's with the strong thighs and Xmas tree build.
Would have been great in the Moorabbin slop along side Paul Temay when leg speed and endurance were not a mandatory requirement.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Numpty

My great friend and fellow coal miner Bailey Rice is a true patriot, believe me, even if his fingers (and other parts that have been remarked upon) aren't as long and beautiful as mine. Let me tell you, Bailey Rice, he has done nothing wrong, nothing, as that recent blow-hard FBI indictment proves, nothing! Believe me!
And folks, as my very great friend and fellow wall-builder Mike Fence said to me just this weekend when we, Mr Parks, Luciano Pavarotti and Jarnaby Boyce were playing around in my Florida...........

St Kilda needs to remember what happened the last time that we got rid of Rice! :idea: Believe me! #makingRicegreatagain

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Rice looks like he is straight out of the late 70's with the strong thighs and Xmas tree build.
Would have been great in the Moorabbin slop along side Paul Temay when leg speed and endurance were not a mandatory requirement.
I was having 80's flashbacks...waiting for him to farm it off the Joffa! Poor bloke...I'm trying not to read anything in to that performance, trying real hard. As mentioned, we're not exactly short of HBF's, so probably not the end of the world if there's no improvement. Give him time.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

While were in the 80’s, Ricey has a build similar to Greg Burns imo.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

One of the wonderful things about AFL online forums is that players can have major upswings and downturns in their careers even before they have actually played a game of AFL.

Last year, on both this forum and its main rival, Bailey Rice was an emerging superstar : given how much excitement built up about him, it's quite astonishing that he didn't bag a nomination for the Rising Star award. I guess it must have been because he never actually played a game of AFL: but it seems to have been a harsh call to me, given the incredibly positive mail I kept seeing about him on SS and BF, especially from posters who don't seem to have actually seen him play in the VFL. (I did watch him on the telly and was slightly underwhelmed, but I don't claim to be much of a judge).

Now, at the start of 2018, after playing twenty odd minutes of a game that didn't look to me to be the remotest bit like AFL, his promising career appears to have come crashing to the ground.

Modern AFL is tough. It used to be that a young player had to front up at AFL level for at least a game or two before clubs and fans would pronounce judgement on them. Now it can all be done and dusted before a guy actually pulls on an AFL jersey.

I suspect Bailey's main claim to fame last year that he was an unknown quantity, and therefore a blank screen onto which supporters were able to project their fantasies about a potential star talent. But in 2018, while he remains a bit of an unknown quantity, he is now competing against our new draftees about whom we known even less, and can therefore fantasise even more.

I would always have said that - given the position in which he plays and his skill level and physical attributes (at least as I saw them on televised VFL games), Rice was never likely to develop into much more than a GOP.

GOPs are useful: every premiership team has a few, and some can eventually develop into what I would describe as "super GOPs" who verge on greatness. But I, for one, don't get excited about GOPs in the developmental phase. Especially one whom I have not yet seen play a serious game of AFL. And, conversely, I don't get particularly disappointed when they don't seem to be progressing as well as perhaps they might.

Sorry if I seem to be too harsh and/or sarcastic.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rice looks cooked to me.

The coconut mik has added some flavour.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Koby, Lonie and Rice were absolutely terrible.

Why, why, why did we keep Lonie, I feel embarrassed every time he’s out there