Did SL leak this?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Did SL leak this?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 4z16j.html

Please just use initials. Don’t want Dr google to find this post lol!

Anyone think our new boy could be the source??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saint 58
Club Player

Re: Did SL leak this?

The Motlop Compensation pick was purely a "what will the Suns accept for the Ablett swap back to Geelong" Compensation pick
Because we can't help those pricks enough
- double dipping in drafts which gifted them 2 of their 3 recent flags
.. Ablett as a 3rd round pick which gave them Bartel
.. Hawkins as a 3rd round pick which gave them Selwood
.. "oh wait, maybe clubs should pay fair value for father/son picks ...."
- never ending $$ for their stadium
- massive home ground advantage
.. "we always win at home"
.. "cos you,only play s*** teams there !!"

I hope I don't sound too bitter & twisted ..... :evil:

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I think they were busy smoking the herbs and spices when they awarded Melbourne #3 for James Frawley and conversely the Hawks #19 for Lance Franklin! :shock: In reality, they twist this crap to suit a preferred outcome.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:I think they were busy smoking the herbs and spices when they awarded Melbourne #3 for James Frawley and conversely the Hawks #19 for Lance Franklin! :shock: In reality, they twist this crap to suit a preferred outcome.
They were the same compensation, after 1st rnd pick it just happened the hawks were 18 on the ladder and the dee's last

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
degruch wrote:I think they were busy smoking the herbs and spices when they awarded Melbourne #3 for James Frawley and conversely the Hawks #19 for Lance Franklin! :shock: In reality, they twist this crap to suit a preferred outcome.
They were the same compensation, after 1st rnd pick it just happened the hawks were 18 on the ladder and the dee's last
Clearly not. After instigating a 'special committee' the AFL were at pains to belatedly claim the size of the deal justified #3 for Frawley, after howls of protest from other clubs. There was no such 'after first round pick' rule in play, that was introduced to justify awarding such a low pick for Franklin. Since then, there's a new rule every season.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

It has been there since the start of free agency, We got a 1st round for Goddard which because we finished 12th meant we got 13 as comp (if we had finished bottom we would have got pick 2 ect) in 2012 three years before the Frawley thing. Dee's got the same compo for Frawley and Hawks got the same for Franklin which was the maximum comp allowed. It just happens Dee's were 2nd last on the ladder so got the 3rd pick.

My understanding of Frawley was they were given the 3rd pick as per the rules (matching the criteria how we got 13 for Goddard), but sent it to a special committee to confirm it as some clubs complained it was too high of a pick and the committee confirmed it as that was the rules currently in place. Don't forget back then Frawley was a top 5 defender in the comp.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

It has been there since the start of free agency, We got a 1st round for Goddard which because we finished 12th meant we got 13 as comp (if we had finished bottom we would have got pick 2 ect) in 2012 three years before the Frawley thing. Dee's got the same compo for Frawley and Hawks got the same for Franklin which was the maximum comp allowed. It just happens Dee's were 2nd last on the ladder so got the 3rd pick.

My understanding of Frawley was they were given the 3rd pick as per the rules (matching the criteria how we got 13 for Goddard), but sent it to a special committee to confirm it as some clubs complained it was too high of a pick and the committee confirmed it as that was the rules currently in place. Don't forget back then Frawley was a top 5 defender in the comp.
I think Frawley and Franklin highlight the flaws in the system perfectly, one player is on roughly 600K for 4 years, the other 1.1 mil for 9 years… how they can be classed in the same band is absurd.

It shouldn't be a magic formula that the AFL can manipulate, it could be a pretty simple set of numbers

band 1 - 5+ years - 800PA+ (average)
band 2 - 4+ years - 650PA+ (average)
band 3 - any length 500PA+ (average)
band 4 - any length 400PA+ (average)
band 5 - any length 300PA+ (average)

numbers can rise annually or when EBA's change

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

above article says top 5% of players would qualify for band 1 compo so I suppose the dif between top 1% and the ones that can scrap in at 5% could mean a big difference when 30% of the players counted in that percentage don't even play AFL ever.

But it should be a declared clear process with no opinion added imo. but that would also lead to clubs trying to rort it, it's a tough one to work out fairly.

Maybe Band 1 shouldn't be a 1st rnd pick but a mid 1st round pick instead that way Melbourne would have got pick 10 or something instead (about right for Frawley at the time), and hawks would have got the same (still unders but more fair than 18 for Franklin)

Or the max compo is pick 5 or something for Band 1

No idea how to make it fair but I think there does need to be compo otherwise the tops clubs will hoard players like all hell (like Hawks recruiting on steroids). Also don't think that the AFL can be trusted to do a case by case compo.

The best solution (that will not happen) is scrap free agency...........

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The special committee came on the back of Paul Roos very public demands for pick #3, having not been granted the compensation pick he also requested. The outrage from other clubs came after the #3 pick was awarded. If compensation was an end of first round draft selection, Melbourne would have got a pick around 20-ish. Ladder position didn't dictate the value of your pick.

My point being, free agency compensation has been AFL policy on the run at its best since introduction, it has been manipulated to achieve an outcome almost every season.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I may have dementia but a first rnd was awarded (pick 3) or was likely to be rewarded ,so the clubs complained so a special committee looked at and gave it the tick. Do mistake the 1st rnd pick (band 1) with the end of 1st rnd pick (band 2). Hawks Saints, and Dee's got band 1 compensation for Goddard, Franklin and Frawley, with a 1st rnd pick directly after their original 1st rnd pick depending on their ladder position. That rule did not and has not changed, it was always in place was just reconfirmed by the committee after clubs complained not changed.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Kreuzer situation last season (?) shows why the AFL likes to keep it a lottery, uncertainty making it harder for lower clubs to rely on and trade their players away for compensation. If there were hard and fast rules, there'd be no anticipation and guesswork each season.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Damn a lot of posts were deleted makes me look like I was talking to myself now

Winmar
Club Player

Well...... ;)
ausfatcat wrote:I may have dementia

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The age of a player being one year younger making a big difference re compo as per the article is DEEPLY flawed.

It completely ignores that clubs are swapping clubs more easily these days and so being a year younger really makes squat all difference now as longevity is pretty well redeundunat.

All that really matters is how well the player will play for the next 2 or 3 years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....