Jake Carlisle Must Play Forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nw7
Club Player

Jake Carlisle Must Play Forward

Carlisle must play forward, I know he is our best defender but we need to take a contested mark in our forward line and be able to bring the ball down to our small forwards. Swap Bruce to backline, bring in Austin or Goddard, do whatever we need to do. We should have had another 5 goals in the first half. Bruce and Paddy are leading to the wrong spots, did they only take 1 mark each in the forward 50 tonight? Crows are a much better team than us but I would rather lose kicking 14 goals than kicking 7 goals for the whole game. The crowds will continue to drop, sponsors and members will be hard to keep and attract, we have the player on our list put him forward and make other teams have to defend a contested marking forward.

Drake Huggins
Club Player

Re: Jake Carlisle Must Play Forward

Hallelujah ! I've been saying this since last year.,put him in the ruck, moving forward as well. Marshall showed enough to keep his spot ahead of LiaBillytee. Make it so, MBK.

"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

As I said in another thread: We sorely missed a viable forward target such as Membrey and you may be right, it may have to be Carlisle.

Okay, delivery was crap and under pressure, but we had more inside 50s than them - 54 to 51 - and couldn't put it on the board AGAIN

mullet
Saintsational Legend

They are destroying Josh Bruce playing him in the ruck

ace
Saintsational Legend

I thought wonder boy McCartin was and is the most viable forward target in the AFL.
Maybe I have been reading the wrong posts.

Our most viable forward target would seem to be Marshall while playing as second ruck, or taking all rucking duties in the forward line.
That would relieve Bruce from masquerading as a ruckman and allow him to stay in the goal square.
Now playing McCartin in the ruck may be a total failure but all that running might help get him fit.

We can't afford to have a small forward who can never take a mark (Long).
Yes they need to be at the feet of the big guys and apply the pressure.
But the best pressure comes from marks, marks that force their opponents to cover them tightly.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Completely disagree. Jake isn't the answer to the forward line and by moving him forward you will weaken the defence more than you will strengthen the forwards. Problem is Paddy & Bruce. They are crap at present. Either they get better really quickly or we change the was we play and go for all out speed int eh forwards.
Plus if we kick better we wouldn't even be discussing this.

ace
Saintsational Legend

(All picks numbers at the time during the draft).
If we move Carlisle forward lets not forget we have Logan Austin, Hugh Goddard and Oscar Clavarino.
And lets not forget that the world's best big fish recruiter gave away our 2nd round pick in the 2018 super draft.
A pick in the mid twenties, now maybe early twenties, to get his hands on pick 35 in 2017,
That pick allowed us to get Clavarino, he must be really good.

We traded in 2017 pick 35 plus a 2018 4th round pick attached to Adelaide (maybe pick 72)
But gave away our 2018 super draft 2nd round pick plus two 2017 fourth round picks 58 and 61.

Fish are not very good at cuisenaire.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Carlisle is best value to us in the backline and ( ultimately if we are a finalist) he will probably play in that area. Carlisle can also ruck when the ball is in the back half and I'm not sure why a guy who is close to 200 cm doesn't occasionally ruck?

I'd like to see Marshall, Hickey, Bruce all play in the same team. Hickey has proven to be a good goal kicker. While we are trying a few different options with Marshall in the team, it makes sense to try a Hickey Marshall combo. Marshall and Hickey play deep forward and rotate in the ruck with Bruce only rucking as a chop out when they are resting.

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Jake needs to show some intent where he is playing, last night he was poor imo.

Seemed like he couldn't give a stuff at times, disappointing.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Why not? May as well put one of our more talented players to better use.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Ah, the weekly "Carlisle Must Play Forward" thread.

No.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I reckon Carlisle is best value to us in the backline and ( ultimately if we are a finalist) he will probably play in that area. Carlisle can also ruck when the ball is in the back half and I'm not sure why a guy who is close to 200 cm doesn't occasionally ruck?

I'd like to see Marshall, Hickey, Bruce all play in the same team. Hickey has proven to be a good goal kicker. While we are trying a few different options with Marshall in the team, it makes sense to try a Hickey Marshall combo. Marshall and Hickey play deep forward and rotate in the ruck with Bruce only rucking as a chop out when they are resting.
I'd like to see this happen Scollop, Marshall/Hicckey would be a lot better than Longer/Hickey.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

35...LEGEND wrote:Jake needs to show some intent where he is playing, last night he was poor imo.

Seemed like he couldn't give a stuff at times, disappointing.
Ha. Finally someone has seen it. The man has talent. Probably more talent than any player on our list. But he's not tough, or even courageous for that matter. Not mentally, but by AFL standards, not physically either. What he does is read the play superbly and he has a great pair of hands. For his size he's quite agile as well. But he drops his head when things aren't going right and he's a bit of a sook. Ask any bomber supporter and they will agree. Most will also agree that we won that trade easily and they wish he was back with them.

But, he basically turned up at the Saints under the notion that he will be played in the backline because he doesn't like the fwd line......

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's at the Saints, but He'll never be my favourite player.

groupie1
Club Player

nw7 wrote:Carlisle must play forward, I know he is our best defender but we need to take a contested mark in our forward line and be able to bring the ball down to our small forwards. Swap Bruce to backline, bring in Austin or Goddard, do whatever we need to do. We should have had another 5 goals in the first half. Bruce and Paddy are leading to the wrong spots, did they only take 1 mark each in the forward 50 tonight? Crows are a much better team than us but I would rather lose kicking 14 goals than kicking 7 goals for the whole game. The crowds will continue to drop, sponsors and members will be hard to keep and attract, we have the player on our list put him forward and make other teams have to defend a contested marking forward.
Haven't agreed in the past but I do now. I'd switch him with Bruce.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

rather than play yet another player in the wrong position, how about we just play them where they play best. get some confidence in them, win the odd game, and then test a few here and there when the occassion warrants it?
carlisle forward? i'd rather richo simply do a hardwick and look at changing up our forward fifty entries. also ensure our forwards lead and receive the ball when they do. the long bombs have got to stop. precise lower kicks to targets please, and running shots from the arc.
also coach the team to be far better at holding it in from their kickouts - the amount of points we kick you'd think this would be a priority.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

As much as I would like Carlisle to go forward, we need him in defence.
What I would rather is have Membrey as the only tall and put a midget fleet around him. Rotate Membrey and Acres. If Membrey had a tank, he would be Ruccuto like in the midfield. We need to lock the ball in. Where is our forward defensive pressure gone? Where is our mongrel?
Also play Bruce on the wing and drop McCartin. Too slow.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

That would be grubby considering the fact we assured him he'd play in defence when we recruited him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:That would be grubby considering the fact we assured him he'd play in defence when we recruited him.
What is this? The U15's?

He gets paid a fortune to play wherever the coach thinks is best for the team. THis bulls*** of 'I want to play defence' smacks of a prima donna.

takeaway
Club Player

Don't think his body would cope with full time forward line - good as a pinch hitter though.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:That would be grubby considering the fact we assured him he'd play in defence when we recruited him.

And that's why I didn't want him!
More of the tail wagging the dog!

older saint
SS Life Member

NO

Apart from being our best back he became unhappy at Essedon when he was made to play forward and didn't want to.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yes

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
What is this? The U15's?

He gets paid a fortune to play wherever the coach thinks is best for the team. THis bulls*** of 'I want to play defence' smacks of a prima donna.
It's a bit more than that...WE don't want him to play forward, the scenario suited the club perfectly.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The last thing we need is players telling the coach and match committee that they're not playing in certain positions.

What about trying something different up forward richo? What about Goddard coming in and playing forward instead of McCartin or Bruce who have done two-fifths of sweet bugger all?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Just leave him at CHB...it is still a crucial position and just as important as CHF.

Nee!