So much Richo hate.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

portosaint
Club Player

Re: So much Richo hate.

parkeysainter wrote:Truth is. We mere supporters will never know if Richo is the main problem at the moment relating to the Saints poor form. Its probably a combination of alot of things so lets be truthful and honest about it. I still always reckon the majority of the blame has to lie with the players this year. Their skills, inside 50's and goal kicking is deplorable and its snuffing out any chance of getting a victory at the moment. I have no doubt the coaches and players are busting to change things, but for whatever reason its not clicking at the moment. Something isn't right.

If only we could be a fly on the wall of the inner sanctum for a week!

I just ignore the rabid and insidious Richo hate. Its pointless at the moment and counter productive. We should judge the coaching team at the end of season unless we are 1-10 or 1-15 or something silly like that during the season.
Not sure I even need to read beyond this post. What's counter productive is how we are playing football. Our structure and setup is counter productive, and that is on the coach.

If you are not sure AR is the problem, then you are seriously questioning the ability of our playing group to grasp the fundamentals of footy.

Our skills are horrible. But our setup is worse. It is quite obvious that the players are not content with how they are being instructed to play. IMO of course

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:
Our skills are horrible. But our setup is worse. It is quite obvious that the players are not content with how they are being instructed to play. IMO of course
I think this is a large part of why we have fallen off the cliff of late. Our players have no belief in the gameplan.

And a gameplan that every club know we will do and so they all counter it. Bottom line is our mids are feeding the oppositions attacks on goal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Watters was hated because so called ITKs started bagging him off. The fans just went along with it.
Still to this day we have never been told what was actually wrong with Watters except he upset Roo and Joey.
He lost the players (not just Roo & Joey) in spectacular fashion, that's what happened. What do you reckon Dwarf Gate was all about?

Incredible, you are merciless on Richardson and now you hint that Watters was hard done by and blame Riewoldt & Montagna. Yeah, after Lyon (who you don't rate), I'm sure they were real impressed with Watters.
Sorry, bit off topic, but I wanted to respond to the above. We are all looking for answers. I hate the cat that someone is weak and doesn't go through with their plans. Richo let his senior players make important decisions and they probably had more influence than was healthy imo. The footy club admin are also weak as piss for letting it happen

If I was in Rooy's and Joey's shoes I'd also want to get rid of a guy who had a plan to focus on youth, development and short term pain instead of trying to retaining all the senior players. In Watters last season he retired Blake, Kosi and Milney in one hit as well as delisting a few few other senior players including Grammy. What happened under Richo? Was there a plan to retire guys or did we just let the players go on as long as they could and as long as their bodies allowed them to back up each week - even if this meant that younger guys were missing out?

Under Richo, we had Schneids palying a year or 2 more than he should have imo. We watched some of our senior guys like Chips have horror runs and we kept him on the list in the faint hope that we colud get back into finals. Gilbo had a horror run but he's still on the list. Even Joey probably played a year more than he should have if the club had any balls and wanted to ruthlessly implement their 5 year plan. Rooy also probably should have retired at the end of 2015 for the benefit of the team going forward if the club was serious about trying to rebuild a NEW team. A team that had to learn to play with a new forward structure with a guy sitting in the wings that had been recruited in 2014 at No. 1 as a Full forward.

Rooy is a living legend of our club and one of the best players in the last 20 years. He fits the mould of a true champion. Joey had a fantastic playing career and is a class footballer who earnt 2 All Australians. Tell me why they should have had ANY say in the future of the club, and tell me how their self interest did not clash with the 5 year plan and the strategy to rebuild?
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 16 Apr 2018 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote:Truth is. We mere supporters will never know if Richo is the main problem at the moment relating to the Saints poor form. Its probably a combination of alot of things so lets be truthful and honest about it. I still always reckon the majority of the blame has to lie with the players this year. Their skills, inside 50's and goal kicking is deplorable and its snuffing out any chance of getting a victory at the moment. I have no doubt the coaches and players are busting to change things, but for whatever reason its not clicking at the moment. Something isn't right.

I just ignore the rabid and insidious Richo hate. Its pointless at the moment and counter productive. We should judge the coaching team at the end of season unless we are 1-10 or 1-15 or something silly like that during the season.
Pretty spot on. We have many coaches and unfortunately due to financial issues a lot of them have other jobs. As an example five of them weren’t at the game on Sunday, that doesn’t help. Richo is not the problem, he’s certainly not the Messiah, but he’s not a fool either. He knows his craft. As I mentioned in a previous post you’ll see a vastly different approach against the GWS. Probably somewhere in between the previous game and the next one ( hopefully) will be the sweet spot. I’m stating the bleeding obvious but if we just nail our first few chances watch the heads rise.

oh when the
Club Player

I just love St Kilda more and I reckon everyone on this site and all our Members do too.

Maybe with ex Saints players in the media saying the game plan does not work just maybe some of the hierarchy at the Club demand change.

oh when the
Club Player

I just love St Kilda more and I reckon everyone on this site and all our Members do too.

Maybe with ex Saints players in the media saying the game plan does not work just maybe some of the hierarchy at the Club demand change.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

No doubt that the structure is on the Coach.

After watching the last 3 weeks, it is evident that our issues are a pattern and are issues of structure. You cannot base it on 1 or 2 games, but what we've seen in the last 3 weeks is consistent to varying degrees, meaning there is a pattern. The consistent pattern has been; players with the ball having no options and (as Dal Santo has pointed out) players positioning themselves where they are unlikely to get the footy when we're in possesion of the footy, resulting in complete dysfunction. This indeed points to structure, which the Coach must wear.

Let's see if the Coach realises that the structure is erroneous and fixes it (as Clarkson did last year), before calling for his head. I would expect to see that start happening this week.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote:

Pretty spot on. We have many coaches and unfortunately due to financial issues a lot of them have other jobs. As an example five of them weren’t at the game on Sunday, that doesn’t help. Richo is not the problem, he’s certainly not the Messiah, but he’s not a fool either. He knows his craft. As I mentioned in a previous post you’ll see a vastly different approach against the GWS. Probably somewhere in between the previous game and the next one ( hopefully) will be the sweet spot. I’m stating the bleeding obvious but if we just nail our first few chances watch the heads rise.
Good post T74. The whole club needs to lift big time. Things can turn the corner pretty quickly in this fickle sport. Looking forward to the upcoming tweek in the game plan on Saturday arvo. Richo, coaches and players all need to dig deep.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
portosaint
Club Player

Tony, it has been glaringly obvious for 3 weeks. How has there not been any change at all??

Someone who knows their craft would not allow defenders to float around and cause chaos for a full 120mins of football. It was like the definition of insanity... The same, over and over again, for 4 full quarters.

I'm sorry, but the local under 14's coach picks up on that. It is at the most simplistic level.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

portosaint wrote:Tony, it has been glaringly obvious for 3 weeks. How has there not been any change at all??

Someone who knows their craft would not allow defenders to float around and cause chaos for a full 120mins of football. It was like the definition of insanity... The same, over and over again, for 4 full quarters.

I'm sorry, but the local under 14's coach picks up on that. It is at the most simplistic level.
Are you seriously comparing the Saints coaching staff to a single coach at some under age suburban footy club? If only AFL tactics and coaching were that massively simplistic.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I still find the forward set up from the Geelong game completely baffling.

How can they just leave a player loose like that. Cutting off literally 75% of our entries???? The game was cooked before they did anything.

What the actual....

I mean.. Roll the dice for crying out loud. Looked half decent when they put Marshall down there. Move someone else and make them accountable to that loose man.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
portosaint
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote:
portosaint wrote:Tony, it has been glaringly obvious for 3 weeks. How has there not been any change at all??

Are you seriously comparing the Saints coaching staff to a single coach at some under age suburban footy club? If only AFL tactics and coaching were that massively simplistic.
I'm just curious to know why he allowed the same rubbish to happen for 4 full quarters. We all watched Tom Stewart have a day out. That, surprisingly, was quite simple.

portosaint
Club Player

bigred wrote:I still find the forward set up from the Geelong game completely baffling.

How can they just leave a player loose like that. Cutting off literally 75% of our entries???? The game was cooked before they did anything.

What the actual....

I mean.. Roll the dice for crying out loud. Looked half decent when they put Marshall down there. Move someone else and make them accountable to that loose man.
This.

How is anyone remotely defending our coaching from the weekend?

You cannot defend the indefensible

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:

Wow!

5 of our coaches have other jobs and weren’t at the game on Sunday.

Where were they then?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

How can we possibly be ten million dollarydoos in debt and not have our full coaching crew at a game.

I mean.

What cart is before the horse here?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

To be pivoting on game plan against GWS does not bode well. We will get flogged and won’t know whether it’s made one iota of a difference

#1 Ryder fan
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

tony74 wrote:

If you think Richo is not the problem, do yourself a favour and watch his performance on AFL 360........if I were to summarise it in one word.....CLUELESS.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

It appears pretty simple to me. He had his extension because they showed promise last year now they have gone backwards. The coach is not getting the best out of the players. They can’t kick and are running around like chooks with their heads cut off. Something is terribly wrong. Has he lost them ? So I’m not sure if anyone hates him but I’m sure many want a change

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eff me dead tony.

No wonder we are screwed with so few resources.

The bloody AFL is pumping all this money into AFLW yet we are still a tin pot operation.

We need a full blown media investigation to make this properly public.

What the eff is the point of massive media rights, state govt pumping hundreds of millions into infrastructure yet
a foundation club is dead on it’s feet with no hope??

I’m floored.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintkid
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:It appears pretty simple to me. He had his extension because they showed promise last year now they have gone backwards. The coach is not getting the best out of the players. They can’t kick and are running around like chooks with their heads cut off. Something is terribly wrong. Has he lost them ? So I’m not sure if anyone hates him but I’m sure many want a change
They showed more promise in 2016. Melbourne ran over them in the first round of 2017 and apart from the emotionally charged Richmond game, it's been downhill since. The contract extension at that time was as baffling as the coach's team selections.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
tony74 wrote:

Wow!

Where were they then?
I did think it odd as I went through Red Rooster drive thru and there was Kingsley "upsizing me"
Tony I like you. I've always liked you. But this "watch the heads lift when a few earlier go through" is claptrap. It's emotion based rubbish that gets it done for 5 seconds before the opposition snuff it out with superior skill, game plan and execution
Let's get real here - sacking Richo is just a start , we need a Football Dept review and a genuine clean out of incompetence - assistants, recruiters etc
The big question for those saying we'll look bad if we replace Richo - is how bad we'll look if key youngsters decide we aren't their future..... and you can forget FA if that happens
If this continues we cannot afford not to act

“Yeah….nah””
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
tony74 wrote:

Wow!

Where were they then?
I did think it odd as I went through Red Rooster drive thru and there was Kingsley "upsizing me"
Tony I like you. I've always liked you. But this "watch the heads lift when a few earlier go through" is claptrap. It's emotion based rubbish that gets it done for 5 seconds before the opposition snuff it out with superior skill, game plan and execution
Let's get real here - sacking Richo is just a start , we need a Football Dept review and a genuine clean out of incompetence - assistants, recruiters etc
The big question for those saying we'll look bad if we replace Richo - is how bad we'll look if key youngsters decide we aren't their future..... and you can forget FA if that happens
If this continues we cannot afford not to act

+1

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Agree on the review. 100%. We should have done one at the end of last year.

I cannot, at this point think that sacking a coach is the answer.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Problem is that Richo has a lot of average stock yard cattle out on the paddock that he’s trying his best to turn into show cattle.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bigred wrote:How can we possibly be ten million dollarydoos in debt and not have our full coaching crew at a game...
Conversely Red, I'd argue that the former could very well lead to the latter.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: