Headlines repeat over decades

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Headlines repeat over decades

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-04-2 ... -day-match
Melbourne won a hard struggle against St Kilda in which its individual strength was crucial. Allan Rowarth, Ron Barassi and Clyde Laidlaw rammed home scoring opportunities whenever possible, whereas St Kilda’s kicking for goal was haphazard. The Saints should have had the game sewn up by three quarter-time if not for terrible kicking.

In the second half, St Kilda scored 1.11 including nine successive behinds during the third term.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Headlines repeat over decades

Bud Annand? Ah that brings back memories. A copper.,died few years ago.

I remember being in the rooms where he was singing dirty ditties.winked at me but kept signing. I wasnt very old at the time.

His boy could play a bit. Ended up at Ainslie which is Bruce's old club.

Cowboy played and coached there too.

St. Paul
Club Player

Stuart Annand, saynta? Another father son pick that didn't work out. I think Stuart spent a couple of years on the list without playing a senior game. I think Ben Stewart, Ian's son, was around at the same time. Compare our father son's to Geelong. At least our women's team might be good if they bring in a father-daughter rule. Plenty of female Burkes, Locketts, Frawleys and
Harveys.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Young Annand was never given much of a chance. Extremely upset by his dad's battle with cancer. Prostate from memory.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

That would be Baden Annand, not Stuart. Bud (Baden Powell Annand) was a Police Inspector.

Saint supporter since '62
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

At least the team of that era had the excuse of needing to contend with swirling breezes inside the ground.

Our conversion rate from set shots at Etihad is pathetic, but we're not Robinson Crusoe in that respect.

In my 5+ decades of following football closely, it seems to me that players are more skilled in almost every aspect of the game, as well as being far, far more physically fit. Players are potting running shots for goal almost every game with a degree of difficulty which would once have seen them nominated for "goal of the decade."

But the average ability to score set shots for goal seems to be at an all-time low: except for banana kicks from acute angles.

My tentative hypothesis is that this might be a consequence of the modern stadiums: that is, it could actually have been psychologically a little easier to aim a set shot when there was a bit of a cross breeze, because you could target one of the posts and let the wind carry the ball into the gap, rather than have to aim directly at the gap and try to kick the ball dead straight.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:At least the team of that era had the excuse of needing to contend with swirling breezes inside the ground.

Our conversion rate from set shots at Etihad is pathetic, but we're not Robinson Crusoe in that respect.

In my 5+ decades of following football closely, it seems to me that players today are more skilled in almost every aspect of the game, as well as being far, far more physically fit. Players are potting running shots for goal almost every game with a degree of difficulty which would once have seen them nominated for "goal of the decade."

But the average ability to score set shots for goal seems to be at an all-time low: except for banana kicks from acute angles.

My tentative hypothesis is that this might be a consequence of the modern stadiums: that is, it could actually have been psychologically a little easier to aim a set shot when there was a bit of a cross breeze, because you could target one of the posts and let the wind carry the ball into the gap, rather than have to aim directly at the gap and try to kick the ball dead straight.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: My tentative hypothesis is that this might be a consequence of the modern stadiums: that is, it could actually have been psychologically a little easier to aim a set shot when there was a bit of a cross breeze, because you could target one of the posts and let the wind carry the ball into the gap, rather than have to aim directly at the gap and try to kick the ball dead straight.
You may be on to something there. I do know that in golf it is much easier to hit a ball with a shape - draw or fade - than it is to hit one dead straight.

Saint 58
Club Player

Come on guys, seriously ??
If you can pick someone up field & kick it to them with reasonable to good accuracy then why can't the same be done in front of goal ?
6m of goal space, you can mis-kick it by over 2m left or right & still score a goal !
Go back, pick someone in the crowd & kick it to them
Don't think about it, don't line it up, don't walk in, just run in & kick it to the guy in the crowd !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]