The feeling when we were 6 points up with under 6 mins to go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

The feeling when we were 6 points up with under 6 mins to go

Did you start feeling that feeling all of us have been wanting to feel, the feeling that we might have just won a flag?
I can tell you my lid went flying, I lost it completely and it was out of sight when Goddard put us 6 points up.

I had to grab a box of tissues as I was crying my eyes out thinking I think I am about to witness a premiership. I felt I was very much in control of my emotions till we hit the front, then the tears of joy turned to panic and fear when Collingwood hit the front. We leveled the scores and I was back to crying and screaming at the TV "this can not be a draw". Then when the ball was on the wing with only 10 seconds to go and knowing it was going to be a draw my emotions went numb.
I guess being at home watching it I knew how long we had left on the clock. This may have been different for those at the ground?

Just wanted to see how many of us started to get that feeling that we really have never experienced, especially the people that where not around in 66 or were to young to remember.

That feeling I really feel we are going to get back this Saturday, I am not going to get cocky, but I just feel now we are the edge.
Last edited by Dal_Santos_Gal on Mon 27 Sep 2010 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
AdelaideSainter
Club Player

To be honest...I thought we had it. The Pies looked dead, and we were simply dominating. The feeling when we hit the front was like nothing I'd ever experienced at the footy...unbelievable.

From such a high to such a low within minutes.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

When Goddard marked, I was at a peak I have never been before. The best mark I have ever seen under pressure (better than Leo Barry's).

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
widereceiver
Club Player

I knew there was too long to know we had it won, but I agree, I thought we had it in the bag much more than last year.
I would love to know for a whole last quarter this week.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:When Goddard marked, I was at a peak I have never been before. The best mark I have ever seen under pressure (better than Leo Barry's).
Was the best sound I've ever heard at a sporting game ever.

But I knew we needed one more. There was heaps of time left.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Yes, was at the city end. Similar feelings but didn't actually cry.

Cried during the third quarter of the Prelim in sheer admiration of the boys!

Overwhelming feeling in final minute was "Thankfully we won't lose and can still win, even if we have to do it next week".

PS love the avatar!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

let's face it, we did very well to get back into it from where we were at half time.

collingwood had many more chances to win it and it is them, not us, who should see it as one that got away.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:When Goddard marked, I was at a peak I have never been before. The best mark I have ever seen under pressure (better than Leo Barry's).

Even with my emotions flying out of control, I knew we needed one more too, but I just couldn't control myself.

Such a wonderful feeling it was, if we can continue where we left off on Saturday afternoon, we will be fine.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
saintnick12
Club Player

It wasn't until then I started to believe we would win. My usual optimist self was feeling pesimistic all day with the pies great start. I seriously thought in the first qtr that we were likely to get smashed.

So when we hit the front, I finally believed we could win. The people in the next seats hugged my son and I. I shed a small tear I think. I knew there was too long to go to hang on, but I really thought we would score again. The goal to them seemed quite soft at the time, and the joy went to terror - fear that we would lose by a point. The ultimate high to the ultimate low in just a few minutes.

That mark deserved to be game a premiership winning. How it is remembered going forward will depend on what happens next week. It will hold a much better place in history if we win next week.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

I think there was still 7 minutes left.

After that mark and goal, it was the first time I truly believed we were going to win.

It's funny because when the Pies blew it out in the second quarter, all my nerves had disappeared. I was resigned to defeat and I was just praying we could do something rather than expecting anything.

As we slowly came back though, so did the nerves and from BJ taking that mark till the final siren, my nerves were at their absolute peak.

My heart was pumping so bloody hard.
Last edited by Beej on Mon 27 Sep 2010 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I thought that was our Leo Barry moment. We had all the momentum, a freak mark, I thought the perfect ending was happening before our own eyes and the drought was going to end.

We've waited 44 years, what's one more week...

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

I'm feeling all jittery thinking about it all again lol
Was in standing room behind cheer squad and it was insane

and yea if we win it will be remembered more.
BJ :lol:

Munga
Saintsational Legend

"We need one more" were my thoughts. Yes we were on top, if we had extra time we'd have won.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
LaUrEnCe
Club Player

was feeling like s*** when Davis kicked that goal though and stalled our charge.... meant we trailed by 14 pts with around 14 mins to go or something
think i thought it may have been over (lucky the players have more hope than me lolol)
so yea that was prettay prettay good

mordi
Club Player

For a moment, suddenly saw the score and had a real sense we could win. Not my usual fantasy delusional stuff......a real, hey this could be happening sense. But then gone.......

Although, my major daydream when I have imagined us wining the flag this year,has been BJ taking a screamer and kicking the winner....so maybe it will happen...

What's the Point of it All?
battye
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Overwhelming feeling in final minute was "Thankfully we won't lose and can still win, even if we have to do it next week".
Yeah, my feeling was that it's not over - if we come back next week we'll have the opportunity to bury Collingwood early in the match.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Overwhelming feeling in final minute was "Thankfully we won't lose and can still win, even if we have to do it next week".
Yeah, my feeling was that it's not over - if we come back next week we'll have the opportunity to bury Collingwood early in the match.
Have to agree, was very thankful the ball was in our half, it's amazing how raw and instinctive the emotions are in that sort of finish.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I thaught with the time left and the opposition that if we kicked one more goal we would have it. I was at my most excited when Lenny belted it foward and Milne was running onto it. I thaught he would gather the ball slam it through and get right in the faces of the filth behind the goals. Sadly it was not to be

I also thaught we were gone a few times. When Davis goaled and when Cloke put them back infront I thaught it might have been beyond us.

Lucky I was wrong

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
rymax
Club Player

When watching the replay later on I couldn't believe how much time was actually been left when it happened. Could have sworn there had only been about 3-4 minutes to go.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I thought we had the momentum, I thought we'd continue and win the game.... But if course the footy gods aren't going to make this easy for us! Just typical!! We'll have to fight hard to take what is ours! The victory from here would be just so sweet!! Gotta push hard! I'm sure whatever plan Rossy and the boys implement this Saturday will bring it home!!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I think I just about lost my voice whe Goddard took that mark and went back to put it through.
When it bounced through for a point to level it I was going crazy, I wanted another score so bad, even a wild snap that smashed into the post.... anything!

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Q5
Club Player

Felt strangely numb actually, not as excited as I expected I would be - had also thought that when Davis kicked that goal it was over. When BJ put us in front, was excited, but knew there was still too much time to go - would not have let the lid off until that siren went. As it turns out, didn't happen then either! Pretty excited about next week though :lol:

yipper
SS Life Member

Had tears welling - thought we were going to witness a premiership for a fleeting moment!!! Still very anxious - knew we needed another or some damn luck. Just something!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

aye i burst into tears.

was with some friends ad some token american tourists.

they couldn't believe steve and myself riding the emotions of eveyr 'bad' decision' every goal they scored, when we got level, when we went in front...

when they got 1 point in front

when the ball was bouncing from lenny.

steve and I were doing laps and his missus was screaming at the TV etc etc

to the stunned finale.

I thought we had it...i really did, we've held on before, i think we just didn't play our keepings off game, but thats another story.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

The raw emotion at the game was the most enormous wave of fluctuating feelings I could ever imagine.
At half time we were talking and I was saying "hey we look gone but it is only two goals per quarter - it is not as if we haven't done it before" so it was pretty flat and only a "maybe".
Then when we were all over them in the third we were all screaming so loud even my 15 year old son, usually so unflustered and a bit reserved, was going absolutely crazy. Never heard him yell like that (like I do)
:lol:
Then, I thought we were shot when Davis kicked it - but we all lifted for massive cheering.
When Goddard marked there were tears everywhere around me - I reckon more than half the people in Q55 had tears of joy and most thought we would win.
Then there were heads in hands when Coll came back and total astonishment at the end.
It was a truly incredible experience.
The REPLAY is also the only really viable option - so glad they did not make up some stupid extra-time rule on the day.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.