Myers Briggs testing to determine positions for players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

karnak
Club Player

Myers Briggs testing to determine positions for players

I was fortunate to do a Myers Briggs test with my work mates at a previous company that I worked for.

Myers Briggs is a personality test of sorts it's purpose is to categorise people into 1 of 16 buckets to help determine underlying strengths and weaknesses. ie creativity, organisation ability, structure etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers_briggs

It is a useful tool for team building etc. It is quite interesting to find what sort of groupings of personalities are in different departments within companies, such as Trading, Accounts, Sales, Management, Risk, Finance etc.

The gentleman that ran the course was the captain of the Austrlian Hockey team that won gold a few years back (his name escapes me), but he was saying that they used to use it to help choose who would play forward, back, midfield etc.

With all of the discussions surrounding our forward potency and discussions surrounding Gilbert (who I believe must play forward) and McQualter who seems to be of a defensive mind set playing in the forward line.

If Ross is to change the game plan into one that is more attacking I would be very interested to see what sort of players will move into the forward line. I know there are certain physical requirements for certain positions, but it is interesting when you see Tarants career resurrected when moved into the back line. Maybe this is more in line with his personality.

Could McQualter be more effective as a backline tagger in a similar mould to Baker? (would need to build these skills over summer)

Thoughts?

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Good thinking material. I'm all for getting the team balance right, as all the successful teams, premiership winners have good balance across all positions- good skills matching. I feel that since 2003, we have not recruited well enough, we needed more burst speed players, better goal kicking onballers, and more natural forwards. We have done well with tough hard workers and good backmen, but success in 2011 and beyond will fall heavily on good recruiting.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

The Margerison-McCann Personal Team Management Profile system is a more widely used method in business today than Myers-Briggs, although both are based on the Jungian Type Inventory which is based on the types and preferences of Carl Gustav Jung, who wrote 'Psychological Types' in 1921.

I would be surprised if AFL clubs did not already use these types of indicators when assessing potential recruits.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I heard an interesting interpretation of how collingwood have drafted players that have shown high standards in big games rather than massive beep tests, vertical leap etc. at the draft camp.

I guess it is the same as recruiting natural footballers over athletes etc. just a new way of refining quality players.

It could also be a lo-fi way of psychological testing, they stand up in big games, they have a strong mental edge over their competitors.

Steele Sidebottom kicked 10 goals in a TAC GF.

I heard we got gwilt from the suburbs on the back of a massive GF.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

MB is an antiquated bust still relatively effectual way of getting some broad brush picture of people.

I know for a fact that the psych testing that clubs do is significantly more complec.

ENTP - btw ;)

PaulieGa
Club Player

hmmmmm I am an ISTP, what position do I play?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Eddy McGuire is a D I C K

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

PaulieGa wrote:hmmmmm I am an ISTP, what position do I play?
Left Back... in the change rooms!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Mick Malthouse is a L I A R