who do you want in the nab afl draft?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Hardly a glowing review, but I'd stay take him if we were stuck without anyone else to look at, hardly looks like our number 1 pick though. Maybe he is our 144!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintcrazy
Club Player

Showing a bit of bias here, but my very good friends' son Viv Michie would be a great pick up for the Saints. Has a beautiful kicking style, reads the play well and is a mad Saints fan to boot!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I know a girl who's family are mad saints fans and have a brother at AIS footy academy. Their surname is Patton, I can't remember his first name but she is about 6 foot tall and says her brother is real tall. I don't know if he's coming through this year or not. Worth keeping an eye on a saints fan in the mix.

StNoodles
Club Player

saintcrazy wrote:Showing a bit of bias here, but my very good friends' son Viv Michie would be a great pick up for the Saints. Has a beautiful kicking style, reads the play well and is a mad Saints fan to boot!
I have a family connection there also, would LOVE to see Viv in Saints colours. A few clubs interested apparently, but I know where his heart's at!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

goodie
Club Player

Like the sound of Hallahan, Riewoldt Mk III

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

[quote="#1GILL"]HE MIGHT not possess the athletic ability of his cousin Nick nor the height of brother Jack, but young Tasmanian Charlie Riewoldt does share something in common with the pair - a great pair of hands and an ability to kick a goal.

But only time will tell whether that’s enough for him to become the third Riewoldt on an AFL list later this year.

At 183cm and 74kg, the youngster from Clarence still has “a long way to goâ€

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

evertonfc wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I just want the 'hindsight harrys' to declare up front who we should have taken.

Not 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 10 years down the track.

Nominate the 'errors' up front so that everybody else can see what these 'visionaries' would have done and then compare their selections with what our paid recruiters did.
And whom would those people be MM?? :D :D
I am also interested to know. Maybe they'll be right :?:
He's talking about me
Im a "Hindsight Harry"
Im also "Forethought Fred"
and "Logical Larry"

But if was to put my "Retrospective Roger"" cap on for a moment I would pose the question, if our current paid recruiters are the same paid recruiters that missed Barlow?

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I just want the 'hindsight harrys' to declare up front who we should have taken.

Nominate the 'errors' up front so that everybody else can see what these 'visionaries' would have done and then compare their selections with what our paid recruiters did.
And whom would those people be MM?? :D :D
I am also interested to know. Maybe they'll be right :?:
He's talking about me
Im a "Hindsight Harry"
Im also "Forethought Fred"
and "Logical Larry"

But if was to put my "Retrospective Roger"" cap on for a moment I would pose the question, if our current paid recruiters are the same paid recruiters that missed Barlow?
I dont know that but every single club missed Barlow even Freo.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Sainternist"][quote="#1GILL"]HE MIGHT not possess the athletic ability of his cousin Nick nor the height of brother Jack, but young Tasmanian Charlie Riewoldt does share something in common with the pair - a great pair of hands and an ability to kick a goal.

But only time will tell whether that’s enough for him to become the third Riewoldt on an AFL list later this year.

At 183cm and 74kg, the youngster from Clarence still has “a long way to goâ€
Last edited by stinger on Thu 14 Oct 2010 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

you can't do that unless and until your pick comes up.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
Saintersss wrote:David Swallow.
Realisticly, if Jack Darling continues to slide I would love to nab him. But I think he will be gone before our pick. Was touted as top 3 earlier in the year, but has really dropped down the list.
Kids a good player, but from what I've seen/heard he's a massive prick, attitude could be a problem.
didn't stop us drafting cadyn beetham....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

you can't do that unless and until your pick comes up.....
No simply nominate them before the draft so that we can all see who they would have taken with our picks. If that player goes before our pick then it's not our recruiters fault.

I wouldn't have a clue who we should take and given that I'm not going to, in 3 years time, blame our recruiters if somebody they passed on turns out to be a champion.

How many CLubs that passed on Sam Fisher would love to have him now?
How many Clubs that passed over NDS or Joey would like to go back and take those picks again.

Do Hawthorn wish they'd taken Judd instead of Hodge?

Where does this hindsight recruitement stop?
Last edited by Mr Magic on Thu 14 Oct 2010 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: who do you want in the nab afl draft?

StNoodles wrote:I know there are a few who keenly follow the kids (that sounds a tad creepy)...

So who would you, realistically, like to see us pick up?
What is a nab? I know what the AFL draft is, but am not sure why the word nab would precede it?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
StNoodles wrote:I know there are a few who keenly follow the kids (that sounds a tad creepy)...

What is a nab? I know what the AFL draft is, but am not sure why the word nab would precede it?
According to the AFL website it is the 2010 NAB AFL Draft. :wink:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Ah, the NAB AFL Draft. Not the nab afl draft.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how relevant it would be for people on here to point out who they would take in a draft when it's not their job to travel around Australia watching young footballers.

I don't think anyone here feels they could do a better job.

We all expect our recruiters to do a good job because, after all, it is their job.

If they don't do a good job, supporters will point it out. Unfortunately with draft picks, we won't know until a few years down the track.

They get paid to do a good job and if they're doing that nobody will complain.

That's footy, mate. Can't change that.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Deep, even draft this year. No freaks, no real muppets. That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

Gold Coast will get the ones who are athletically superior early. As Richmond have shown though, that doesn't make it the be all and end all.

It's a lottery.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:Deep, even draft this year. No freaks, no real muppets. That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

Gold Coast will get the ones who are athletically superior early. As Richmond have shown though, that doesn't make it the be all and end all.

It's a lottery.
No freaks? Sam Day is as freakish as they get.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Thinline wrote:Deep, even draft this year. No freaks, no real muppets. That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

It's a lottery.
Well obviously that not what accords with what I heard.

I'm not professing to be the draft doctor, Gill.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintcrazy
Club Player

Richmond have shown by their rubbish recycled players (Plapp, Fiora etc.) that they are just as crap at picking players as anyone including Carlton (and we are just as crap at picking up those recycled players unfortunately!). Although we have made some inspired choices also... Names anyone? I'll nominate Andrew Thompson for a start.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
#1GILL wrote:

It's a lottery.
Well obviously that not what accords with what I heard.

I'm not professing to be the draft doctor, Gill.
The saying goes the only certainties in life are death and taxes.

Well I've found a couple more.

1) An asshole will never die - the only people that die are "wonderful, generous family types that would give you the shirt off your back".

2) Every player, drafted by every club, in every draft will be a highly skilled kid who is going to be a wonderful selection for their club, according to Kevin Sheehan.

I await his assessment each year, just on the off chance we've picked up a dud with a late pick, but it never happens. :? :shock:

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

A key forward that can kick goals and won't completely embarrass us at the end of the season would be nice.

StNoodles
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Ah, the NAB AFL Draft. Not the nab afl draft.

Iz U 4 seryius? Wowzee fanks 4 da inglish lezzin burnhard!!!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:No freaks? Sam Day is as freakish as they get.
Day will be gone before any of the existing clubs get a pick. He's hardly indicative of the draft as a whole. In 2002 you had Goddard, Brennan and Wells as the top 3. From that you might have figured it was a draft full of freaks. Thing is, after the top-3, the freakish talent was pretty much all gone. I tend to agree with what Thinline has heard. For the most part, it's a deeper draft with a lot of interesting players and not as many freakish footballers.

This draft seems to be loaded up with raw athletes who are making themselves noticed. We had two of the fastest kids ever at draft camp. There's a couple of big, raw KP types who get the recruiters imaginations working. I'll be interested to see if the clubs are as interested in those guys as the boards are. My guess is the genuine football talent winds up going ahead, but I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to get somebody like Jed Lamb (and his boots) rather than one of the sprinters. We've already got a couple of those.

As for second guessing the recruiters, even the weird picks had some sort of thought behind them. Howard tested as elite in both speed and endurance. Winmar may not have tested well, but he was about as good as they get at hitting targets. You don't normally find footskills like that at 32.

There seems to be a pattern with the kids. First everyone demands they get played over role-paying no-hopers. Then, if they struggle at all (which most do), people rip the recruiters for picking them over another player who is performing better for a lower placed team. Then, if the player comes good, people will claim they believed in them from day one (or just shut up altogether). If they wind up a bust then people will continue to abuse the recruiters on into infinity. Some people used to abuse Brendon Goddard. I couldn't tell you the number of times I heard 'we should have taken Wells!' at games. If they'll abuse him, they'll abuse anybody.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Beej
Saintsational Legend

If we pick up Charlie Riewoldt, you just know he will be the "Scott Selwood" of the Riewoldt family.

If Collingwood pick him up, he will be the Joel.

This is how things work. It is written.