Downtime announcement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Didnt notice it was down as I am hardly on here and have been on holidays with Stinger.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 13 Jan 2011 10:53am, edited 2 times in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Dan Warna wrote:thank you and congratulations to the folks who do this for the rest of us.

and to the naysayers and the whingers, you do it if you think you can do better :)
Hang on a sec Dan.

If there are improvements that need to be done to prevent this re-occuring, then we should be exploring them.

If its a matter of money, we have proven in the past that it can be done.

No brickbats to Battye, who has risen to the challenge admirably to get us back on line, but we should look at methods to prevent this happening again.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Downtime announcement

battye wrote:Firstly, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the downtime. The server has been completely unavailable for around 3 weeks - much longer than it should have been as the webhost appeared to have no contingency plan, including no backup of client websites - so there was no way to get any public messages out. Thanks to those who emailed me or followed on Twitter http://twitter.com/battye where I posted any updates when I received them.

To summarise:
Sorry for any inconvenience caused due to the recent downtime. Due to what I am led to believe was a catastrophic hardware failure, the server that contains Saintsational and many other websites has been offline for the last few weeks. It came back online several days ago, but there were still issues with the database server which meant the forum remained unavailable.

Now it appears that the servers are online again and fortunately no data appears to have been lost. It will take several more days to restore logos and various colour schemes to the website.

Thank you to Mr Magic, saintbrat and theRabbitintheHat for their collaboration and assistance in bringing Saintsational back online.
I'm hopeful the colour scheme will back shortly. I've temporarily disabled registration as the anti-spambot mechanism was lost.

Thanks
no........... thank you for your efforts mate.....i saw some of the crap directed your way from some ss posters posting on big footy......disgraceful actually.....but what would you expect...
Last edited by stinger on Thu 13 Jan 2011 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Didnt notice it was down as I am hardly on here and have been on holidays with Stinger.

and a good time we had too.. :wink: :wink: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:thank you and congratulations to the folks who do this for the rest of us.

and to the naysayers and the whingers, you do it if you think you can do better :)
nah...they just love whinging and whining....

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

A little piece of me has come back again I reckon with SS back up!

I didn't contribute but looked a bit of BF to try to keep updated, I didn't realise there was such a hatred/love for SS. Good to have it back and cheers to the powers that be who sorted it out!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:A little piece of me has come back again I reckon with SS back up!

I didn't contribute but looked a bit of BF to try to keep updated, I didn't realise there was such a hatred/love for SS. Good to have it back and cheers to the powers that be who sorted it out!
amen brother... :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

well done Battye and whoever else restored the universe to its rightful axis...

Bigfooty is ok is ok if you are starved.....but it aint SS...

“Yeah….nah””
super dooper
Club Player

Finally my lunch break is complete :D :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to diminish the efforts of those involved at SS who managed to get our beloved site up and running again, but I suspect those at Big Footy may have leant a hand.

It certainly seems we were back online very promptly once a certain poster found his way onto their forum :wink: :D

PJ
SS Life Member

Phew!! Gratitude to those who put SS back together - I tips me hat to you.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Good work battye!... think we put this in the 'shyte happens' basket and get on with it.

I'm sure the break did many well.

I for one discovered I had a wife and 3 kids, and I took the chance reconnected with them. It was horrible.

Welcome back all! :wink:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: Downtime announcement

stinger wrote:
battye wrote:Firstly, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the downtime. The server has been completely unavailable for around 3 weeks - much longer than it should have been as the webhost appeared to have no contingency plan, including no backup of client websites - so there was no way to get any public messages out. Thanks to those who emailed me or followed on Twitter http://twitter.com/battye where I posted any updates when I received them.

To summarise:
Sorry for any inconvenience caused due to the recent downtime. Due to what I am led to believe was a catastrophic hardware failure, the server that contains Saintsational and many other websites has been offline for the last few weeks. It came back online several days ago, but there were still issues with the database server which meant the forum remained unavailable.

Now it appears that the servers are online again and fortunately no data appears to have been lost. It will take several more days to restore logos and various colour schemes to the website.

Thank you to Mr Magic, saintbrat and theRabbitintheHat for their collaboration and assistance in bringing Saintsational back online.
I'm hopeful the colour scheme will back shortly. I've temporarily disabled registration as the anti-spambot mechanism was lost.

Thanks
no........... thank you for your efforts mate.....i saw some of the crap directed your way from some ss posters posting on big footy......disgraceful actually.....but what would you expect...
I saw that to, I was a little suprised by some of the comments about this site, poor really from other saints fans.

I love this club
battye
Saintsational Legend

Thank you :)
matrix wrote:to be honest im a little pissed off

we heard completely f*** all from admin
and seeing as we paid for the site an announcement wouldve been nice when the place went down
no cover page which ive been told would have been easy as piss to put up, or an announcement in BF which is obviously where peeps would post, and did
As soon as the server came online again a cover page was available; initially it was a default server page saying the website was coming and yesterday it was the message you see now. On Tuesday night the forum was accessible but not usable, on Wednesday night it was usable again once the database server came online. Once I was in a position to act, I acted as fast as I could. You can imagine how difficult it would be to achieve anything meaningful while the actual server was offline and the database server was unavailable. I replied to everyone that emailed me regarding the situation and I'd be surprised if some of that didn't make it back to BigFooty anyway. Unfortunately very few people were aware of the Twitter page, which was where I publicly posted news of any replies from the webhosting company.
GrumpyOne wrote:Hang on a sec Dan.

If there are improvements that need to be done to prevent this re-occuring, then we should be exploring them.

No brickbats to Battye, who has risen to the challenge admirably to get us back on line, but we should look at methods to prevent this happening again.
We are paid through to December 2011 with this webhosting company (and I should hope plus a few weeks, considering we should be reimbursed for the downtime). There is no question that the webhosting company is at fault in my view, in the event of a hardware failure they should have had backups of all client websites and been able to deploy them to another server reasonably quickly. Their technical support has been poor in the past but not this poor; I will be contacting them again soon to discuss reimbursement for the downtime and to see what they have in place to ensure this never happens again. The next step, providing they don't offer some pretty convincing answers, would be to look at alternative companies for 2012 and beyond.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Good to have SS back up again 8-)

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

battye wrote:Thank you :)
matrix wrote:to be honest im a little pissed off

we heard completely f*** all from admin
and seeing as we paid for the site an announcement wouldve been nice when the place went down
no cover page which ive been told would have been easy as piss to put up, or an announcement in BF which is obviously where peeps would post, and did
As soon as the server came online again a cover page was available; initially it was a default server page saying the website was coming and yesterday it was the message you see now. On Tuesday night the forum was accessible but not usable, on Wednesday night it was usable again once the database server came online. Once I was in a position to act, I acted as fast as I could. You can imagine how difficult it would be to achieve anything meaningful while the actual server was offline and the database server was unavailable. I replied to everyone that emailed me regarding the situation and I'd be surprised if some of that didn't make it back to BigFooty anyway. Unfortunately very few people were aware of the Twitter page, which was where I publicly posted news of any replies from the webhosting company.
GrumpyOne wrote:Hang on a sec Dan.

We are paid through to December 2011 with this webhosting company (and I should hope plus a few weeks, considering we should be reimbursed for the downtime). There is no question that the webhosting company is at fault in my view, in the event of a hardware failure they should have had backups of all client websites and been able to deploy them to another server reasonably quickly. Their technical support has been poor in the past but not this poor; I will be contacting them again soon to discuss reimbursement for the downtime and to see what they have in place to ensure this never happens again. The next step, providing they don't offer some pretty convincing answers, would be to look at alternative companies for 2012 and beyond.
Straightforward honest feedback to concerns raised. Much appreciated.

Hopefully a new and improved SS will rise from the ashes of the old SS.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Image

"PoppedCorn
BigFooty Apprentice

St Kilda

Re: Saintsational back !!
great
we can go back to the way it always was
wanker abusing everyone and getting away with it

woohooo..... "

i think you have a problem :roll: :roll: :roll:

starsign
Club Player

Great work Battye !!!
And thanks heaps to you and any others who have had a hand in getting us back on line

Just ignore any flack from the Phillistines as the great majority on here really appreciate your efforts!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Great work Battye !!!
And thanks heaps to you and any others who have had a hand in getting us back on line

Just ignore any flack from the Phillistines as the great majority on here really appreciate your efforts!!
plus 1 :wink:

SaintDebi
Club Player

I've missed SS!
Thanks to whoever worked on getting it back up and running.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Didnt notice it was down as I am hardly on here and have been on holidays with Stinger.

I always knew you two fellas loved each other.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

well done battye and glad some of the connecting worked

I agree with this- and feel it would mean someone who sees any problem could report it early-
Firstly, GrumpyOne I think a list of emails to contact in the event of downtime would be a good idea. I mentioned the webhosting situation in reply to your eariler post in the downtime topic:
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=67530

good that there is general discussion with options to try and buffer any future problems and with originators and key stakholders work out systems for progress.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Quixote
SS Life Member

Thanks to the admin! It's great to have the old bird back up. 8-)
Last edited by Quixote on Fri 14 Jan 2011 12:27am, edited 2 times in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
stinger wrote:

I always knew you two fellas loved each other.
:wink: ....it's a new year mate... 8-)