Interesting perspective on our scandals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Interesting perspective on our scandals

Yes we are all sick of the things going wrong, but I have too ask this question.
Did any of the guys in New Zealand actually do anything illegal, anything you could get arrested for?
Did Gilbert, Zac and co commit a crime taking a picture of Roo and Dal, I mean would the police take him away and charge him.
None of our guys bashed a taxi driver, rode around with a wanna be Hells Angel who enjoyed discharging a fire arm at buildings and latter at people.
Nor did they drive a car under the influence of alcohol, which cost them their licence.
Neither did any of them damage anybody's property or intimidate anybody with their behavoir.
No they just did some silly stupid childish things that young men hae a habit of doing.
Basically the worse thing they do is very stupidly mix alcohol with prescription drugs.
So for all those people who are saying what a disgrace we are, well no one got arrested, no damage was done except to some of our players dignity because of a vengeful young female, who doesn't play for the club.
In fact the only person who did anything that if found guilty is a crime is a guy who never played a game for the club and came to the club with glowing references from the golden haired boy Hird and the media's favourite coach, Sheedy.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
realdeal
Club Player

Exactly. Send that to 3AW and the Herald-Sun.

I'm sick of being in the news for these stupid things but to be honest, I don't even read about it anymore. Its all just glorified off season rubbish that players from all teams do.
The only difference is that our mistakes seem to be blown up 3 times bigger than anyother clubs.

You can see people just waiting for us to stumble and jump on us as they still aren't used to us actually being semi successful.. We have a very good culture but we're shooting ourselves in the foot and its got to stop though.

miskycat
Club Player

Excellent post.
I wish the club would come out and assert themselves in this way.
Thanks for the perspective.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Good op. Despite it being all a pain in the backside, none of it is really bad (criminally). Yeah some silly stuff but meh, I think I'll stop letting it get to me every time an opposition supporter says or writes something. Acknowledge that it's silly at best and think footy. Bring on round 1.

Q5
Club Player

To reiterate what Greg Westaway said last night (which bizarrely, is one of my own personal 'mantras' when dealing with difficult people) you can only control your OWN actions. You can't control others actions either, it's all about how you react - I'm choosing to ignore the crap the media is spewing. Yes, there have been incidents, but that is beyond our (supporters) control. The only true mistake is the one you don't learn from - if these incidents have taught us nothing, then it's a problem. However, I don't think it will be...

St Lenny
Club Player

You are absolutely spot on 3rd generation. Its all media hype, nothing else to talk about and Eddie still hasn't got over us embarrassing Malthouse. Its very easy to take cheap shots at us at the moment and I think what Roo said at the AGM last night was spot on.

Having said that, it does affect our image and the club and responing to that, so thats all we can ask for. But we will cop shyt from opp supporters this year for sure.

saint1974
Club Player

Or run off when the police pulled a certain person over.
Or handcuff a rookie to the captain of a club and make them drink
Or have an affair with a players partner
Or verbally abuse someone on the field a r......
Yes those 4 boys were stupid and so was Gilbert, but the only people they have hurt are themselves.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:You are absolutely spot on 3rd generation. Its all media hype, nothing else to talk about and Eddie still hasn't got over us embarrassing Malthouse. Its very easy to take cheap shots at us at the moment and I think what Roo said at the AGM last night was spot on.

Having said that, it does affect our image and the club and responing to that, so thats all we can ask for. But we will cop shyt from opp supporters this year for sure.
No it's not media hype, the club actually exposed the players to beat the media hype.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Lenny
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
St Lenny wrote:You are absolutely spot on 3rd generation. Its all media hype, nothing else to talk about and Eddie still hasn't got over us embarrassing Malthouse. Its very easy to take cheap shots at us at the moment and I think what Roo said at the AGM last night was spot on.

No it's not media hype, the club actually exposed the players to beat the media hype.
You may misunderstand me. Im not saying anything about it being in the media, Im talking about the way its portrayed inthe media.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

saint1974 wrote:Or run off when the police pulled a certain person over.
Yes those 4 boys were stupid and so was Gilbert, but the only people they have hurt are themselves.
Or go back a couple of decades when a Carlton player got off a culpable driving charge because the judge instructed the jury that the poor soul who died contributed to his own death for not wearing a seat belt.

Or another Carlton player who knicked off from a scene of an accident when he was seriously hurt in order to avoid providing a blood test to check his bac content.

Even a Geelong player who found religion had a history of thumping people whose colour he didn't like and that was when he played at another club. And whne he has got up in court, sworn on the bible and given evidence to what happened in the Park Hyatt hotel?

I could go on but we could be here for a long time going through the past histories of AFL players.

older saint
SS Life Member

True they have not broken the law, but all i care about is (a) are the playing group representing the club in a manner that i would like to be associated with and (b) are they doing everything they can to perform to the best of their abilities towards the ultimate success.

Trying to justify behaviour by comparing what others have done is like saying "look i know i beat up someone but i am not as bad as that bloke who stabbed someone" They are both wrong.

Unfortunately the answer to both questions is no ( collectively). A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I heard that a certain player from a certain other club was driving way above the limit in the '80s after a game and had an accident...not sure if there was a fatality.

Anyway, his connections helped him swap his urine sample with someone else's so he was not convicted. Classy.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Did you self title the thread? "interesting perspective" before youd even writen it. do you praise your own performance before sex?

anyhow. objectively speaking the incidents amount to bugger all - and i might add this view has been enunciated by many a SS poster in the last 2 weeks - joffaboy to name one.

I just reckon the media mgt at the saints has been handled poorly. Im not sure who our media manager is - if we have one- but they are doing a sub par job.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

The exact answer I've given to everyone who has thought they have been clever bringing everything up.

"Come speak to me when something illegal has been done."

They think about it, and then walk off.

Works every time (well, sometimes the Pies fans take a bit longer for the info to sink in).

They walk amongst us...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saint1974 wrote:Or run off when the police pulled a certain person over.
Careful what you say. Saints players in the past are guilty of at least three of the four above.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell